Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
huckleberry OP
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
Help from a dualsport mapper

OK i need some help! i have topo 8 and a pn 40, am laying out a dual sport ride and want to create a track to share with anyone that shows up. what do i need to do to create a universal gpx i would guess so i will have min. problems? thanks in adv.
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckleberry
OK i need some help! i have topo 8 and a pn 40, am laying out a dual sport ride and want to create a track to share with anyone that shows up. what do i need to do to create a universal gpx i would guess so i will have min. problems? thanks in adv.
Kind of a broad question - but a gpx file with a single track with less than 500 points will suit Garmin 60's, 276/376/478, 76's which are what you will likely see the most of. And then you will need cables from a laptop to the GPS's.

The older Quests, Streetpilots, III+ and V's will support a track upload if you name them correctly.

Some folks actually create a map to upload with the "track" set up as a road and colored so you can follow it. The problem with that is that you will blow away the maps that exist on a person's GPS.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
huckleberry OP
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave
Kind of a broad question - but a gpx file with a single track with less than 500 points will suit Garmin 60's, 276/376/478, 76's which are what you will likely see the most of. And then you will need cables from a laptop to the GPS's.

The older Quests, Streetpilots, III+ and V's will support a track upload if you name them correctly.

Some folks actually create a map to upload with the "track" set up as a road and colored so you can follow it. The problem with that is that you will blow away the maps that exist on a person's GPS.
name them correctly? this is the kind of thing i'm lookin for - the problem spots i figure if i can catch the quirks beforehand-------or would it be better to create a route?
Beta Techno

huckleberry screwed with this post 01-30-2010 at 04:19 PM
Old 01-30-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,933
GPS Babel is a great little program to do converting between routes & tracks and rename and entire track log with ease, etc.

I would definitely do tracks, although not all GPS allow you to load saved tracks, but then those guys probably wouldn't be using those GPS for dual sport rides. Most guys that use GPS's for DS rides know how to use tracks and choose a GPS that handle tracks. You could create some general routes, but the limits on what every GPS can handle varies widely between GPS. Some only hold 30 pts, some 50pts. You are so much more limited on the number of pts, it really limits you.

I agree with a 9Dave that limiting your track logs to 500pts each would be a good start. With GPS Babel, you can split those 500's into 250's also which is what some of the older GPS's could store in their track log.

As for naming, you want to make each track pt unique. So just come with a naming convention were each track log as some characters and then numbers each one from say 1-500. Keep it under 8 characters just to be safe too.

Here's some examples.
TrckA001
TrckA....
TrckA500

TrckB001
TrckB....
TrckB500

Obviously, you can name them anything you want, but just keep them organized and unique and keeping that at 8 characters should keep any GPS's from cutting the name short.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,722
I think what 9Dave meant abut naming them correctly is the method of loading tracks into the active log of GPS units that have no (or limited) saved log memory. I believe you have to use all caps and a 3 digit number (ACTIVELOG001 for example). Not sure though.

Just FYI: The GPS V does take saved tracks - 10 tracks of up to 250 points each

huckleberry, the guys in the PN-40 thread may be able to help you more.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 19,016
Huck,

If you draw up a draft of what you propose and send it to me via e-mail (PM for address), I'll go over it for you and explain what I did to get you what you want. There are too many things to talk about to try to address it in this thread. Happy to help. I'm sure some others would do the same. Always glad to see someone willing to work up a track for others to use.
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:58 AM   #7
huckleberry OP
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot
Huck,

If you draw up a draft of what you propose and send it to me via e-mail (PM for address), I'll go over it for you and explain what I did to get you what you want. There are too many things to talk about to try to address it in this thread. Happy to help. I'm sure some others would do the same. Always glad to see someone willing to work up a track for others to use.
thanks for the help give me a bit and i'll try to find a couple tracks that will give you an idea of what i'm trying to do. the worst thing is going to be trimming down to 500 pts. as the pn saves about 10,000 points to a full track!
Beta Techno
Old 01-31-2010, 07:50 AM   #8
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
thanks for the help give me a bit and i'll try to find a couple tracks that will give you an idea of what i'm trying to do. the worst thing is going to be trimming down to 500 pts. as the pn saves about 10,000 points to a full track!
CannonShot should definitely be able to help you. He's shared some awesome tracks and DS routes in the past and I love reading his ride reports.

Splitting track logs is not that hard and I'm sure CS will have some tricks up his sleeve.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:09 AM   #9
huckleberry OP
BACK ROAD BOMBER

went back and checked the manuel and know how to trim down the tracks it was set for a point every 10 feet so i guess i have to set it down to get 500 in 50 miles so that won't be bad just have to get them to work with garmin easily
Beta Techno
Old 02-01-2010, 03:42 AM   #10
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
I leave my gps set to auto calculate the amount of points stored in a track. This allows for more detail in the ziggy sections while only adding a minimum in a stretch. I then allow mapsource to filter each track to less than 500 points before distributing. The filtering algorithm is smart enough to keep the detail where needed.

I also supply routes, direct routes or off road routes as some refer. Keep the via points to less than 250 per route.

If you manage the routes correctly, waypoints should not become a problem. Use VIA points as often as possible. I have one file that has 363 waypoints and have not heard of a problem. I would guess that you need to stay under 500, but that is only a guess.

Does a pn-40 have an auto calc for track logs? Does Delorme Topo 8 allow for track filtering and direct route via points? It's been a long time since I helt, felt, or smelt anything Delorme.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:48 AM   #11
projectsguy
n00b

Oddometer: 1
GPS Tracks

I ride DS rides out west and find the rides by Countdown the best for GPS. Jerry has it down to an art. I just finished his Hi Desert 250 ride this weekend and the tracks were dead on. You can see a library of some of his public tracks at http://www.gpsxchange.com/ look under private libraries.

All of that said for naming if you break the ride into tracks for the way out, then the way back and by day. Example DS11, DS12, DS21, DS22. This would be dual sport day one, track one etc. This allows you to turn off and display only the track out. This is important if your ride crosses paths on the way out and back.

As someone else mentioned most DS people use a latter model Garmin and the tracks allow 500 points. So when you take a long track and optimize it to 500 points you lose detail. Having multiple tracks allows keeping more detail for navigation.

Hope this makes sense, good luck.
projectsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:36 AM   #12
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectsguy
As someone else mentioned most DS people use a latter model Garmin and the tracks allow 500 points. So when you take a long track and optimize it to 500 points you lose detail. Having multiple tracks allows keeping more detail for navigation.

Hope this makes sense, good luck.
+1 most GPS's can store multiple save tracks also, so for a long ride, I'd rather have several tracks each broken into 500pts each vs some trying to slim it down to one 500pt log and loose the detail you need.

I agree that leaving the GPS auto calc it is the best option and then just chop them up in 500 pt intervals and save those.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #13
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,826
Quote:
went back and checked the manuel and know how to trim down the tracks it was set for a point every 10 feet so i guess i have to set it down to get 500 in 50 miles so that won't be bad just have to get them to work with garmin easily
Just load them into Mapsource and use the Filter function to reduce the number of points.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:07 PM   #14
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,269
Quote:
If you have x model it makes like much easier.

I record as many points as possible (Auto Method and Most Often) in Active Log. An x will save it all every day. When I get home, I upload to PC and save, also edit tracks to perhaps make new route. My tracks for rides are all gas to gas. On Mex2Can and all my Dual Sport rides I use 500 points for gas to gas of about 100-130 miles works fine. There are times when more detail is needed and I have more than one 500 point track between gas but very rare.

To filter, I don't use Mapsource is will give you a lot less than 500 points when you want 500. If you name a track ACTIVE LOG and send it to an x, and then "Save", it will be exactly 500 points.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:35 AM   #15
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave
Just load them into Mapsource and use the Filter function to reduce the number of points.
He's on a Delorme PN40, so no MapSource.

Quote: