User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 03:03 PM   #16
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,748
I have a PN-40, and a Garmin Nuvi 760. Here is the notes I made on how to export from Topo8, so I can use it in the Nuvi. Note: This requires Maqsource.

Topo 8:
1) click on Draw tab, Click on File. right click on route, Manage Draw, copy to active track layer.

2) Click on this new track layer, Export, pick Save as Type: GPX, name it, then Save.

MapSource:
Open this file in Mapsource.
Click on Tracks Tab. highlight track, right click and pick route properties.
Click on Filter.
check Maximum points, and set it to less then 500. (see below).
click OK, then OK.
save it as a .GDB file, same file name.

GPSBabel: (Since Garmin only likes to show routes, this changes the file from a track to a route).

Input: File, Format Garmin MapSource-gdb
file name
Translation Options: Click on Tracks, and Filters.

Filters:
Click on Miscellaneous, Check Transform Tracks -> routes, check delete, OK

Output: File, Format Garmin Mapsource-gdb
File name (add something to end of file name.)
apply

Mapsource:
Open this new file.
Route Tab, Highlight route, right click, route properties, change name and pick color. Ok
Save File (same name).

Copy to Garmin:
Try one or the other.
Send to SD card (garmin\GPX\
or
Send to Garmin.

Max points. This number is said to be 500, but this number goes down ad mileage goes up.
In 250 miles, I had to set at 200 and it worked, (137 points) but 300 did not work.

there might be other ways to do this (like using mapsource to change it from a track to route) but I am better with Topo8 then I am with mapsource, and I have not played with it past what I did when I took these notes.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:26 PM   #17
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,813
See my comments below in red. I think some of these steps are not necessary and turning it into a Garmin GDB file probably isn't the best either. See my reasons why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro
I have a PN-40, and a Garmin Nuvi 760. Here is the notes I made on how to export from Topo8, so I can use it in the Nuvi. Note: This requires Maqsource.

Topo 8:
1) click on Draw tab, Click on File. right click on route, Manage Draw, copy to active track layer.

2) Click on this new track layer, Export, pick Save as Type: GPX, name it, then Save.

MapSource:
Open this file in Mapsource.
Click on Tracks Tab. highlight track, right click and pick route properties.
Click on Filter.
check Maximum points, and set it to less then 500. (see below).
click OK, then OK.
save it as a .GDB file, same file name.
If I was sharing a GPS file with a bunch of people, I'd leave it GPX. If you make it GDB, then only people with your version of MapSource or newer can open it. GPX can be opened by any recent version of MapSource along with many other GPS programs which is the entire reason GPX was created. Also you are assuming the thread starter has MapSource, and I never saw that he said he did? I'm assuming Topo 8 is software you can use with the PN40 which he has? I'm not sure why go through all this below with MapSource. I think you could do everything you wanted to do with Topo 8 and GPSBabel only.

GPSBabel: (Since Garmin only likes to show routes, this changes the file from a track to a route).
A lot of Garmin GPS's that load saved track logs show tracks just fine (make sure they are a bright color) and again, its much easier to make your file acceptable to many GPS's by using tracks. (Maybe the Nuvi series doesn't show tracks, but most DS guys that I know don't use the Nuvi for DS riding) Routes differ so much between GPS to GPS and are required to follow a road if you calculate it. But just in case, I'll explain how to do both so you can satisfy more people with just one file.

Input: File, Format Garmin MapSource-gdb
file name
Translation Options: Click on Tracks, and Filters.

Filters:
Click on Miscellaneous, Check Transform Tracks -> routes, check delete, OK
Again, I would leave it as tracks or duplicate the tracks as direct routes and have both in case some people can't use tracks.

Output: File, Format Garmin Mapsource-gdb
File name (add something to end of file name.)
apply
Leave it as GPX

Mapsource:
Open this new file.
Route Tab, Highlight route, right click, route properties, change name and pick color. Ok
Save File (same name).

Copy to Garmin:
Try one or the other.
Send to SD card (garmin\GPX\
or
Send to Garmin.

Max points. This number is said to be 500, but this number goes down ad mileage goes up.
In 250 miles, I had to set at 200 and it worked, (137 points) but 300 did not work.
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say here?

there might be other ways to do this (like using mapsource to change it from a track to route) but I am better with Topo8 then I am with mapsource, and I have not played with it past what I did when I took these notes.
If I was creating a route/track for people to follow on a ride and all I had was Topo 8 that the user said he has, then I would do the following.

1. Create a track using Topo 8 which how I think you said is how you started. I'm assuming Topo 8 has no problem drawing a track log or taking one you ride and come back and download to your PC.

2. If you are drawing a track, you can easily stop at 250 pts. Most GPS can handle 250 track log pts with ease, a lot can handle 500, but lets leave it at 250 to make it easier. If you are taking a previous track log that you saved from your GPS, then you need to manipulate it to break it into 250pt chunks. Can you do this with Topo 8?

3. For an example sake, lets say when you are down drawing out your entire DS route, you end up with 10 tracks of 250 pts each. You save that map file as a GPX file using Topo 8. Using GPSBable, convert those 10 tracks of 250 pts each into 10 routes with 250 via pts and save as a new map. That way you know have 10 tracks and 10 routes of the same DS plan in 2 different maps. I'm assuming you should be able to use Topo 8 and some how import (or copy and paste) the 10 routes and 10 tracks into 1 single file. Save a new map file with the 10 tracks and 10 (direct routes) each of 250pts in one map. Don't let it "calculate" the routes. Again, save this as a GPX file. So now you should have 1 GPX file with 10 routes with 250 pts each and 10 tracks of the same exact 250 pts, but labeled as track pts vs way or via pts.

Now, you can send this simple GPX file to your friends. Regardless if they have Topo 8 or MapSource or some other program that can handle GPS files, you should all be able to open this and depending on their particular GPS, should be able to load it with minimal modification. Many people with a GPS that handles tracks well, probably shouldn't have to modify this file at all before sending to their GPS.

If I was taking this file and loading it into my 376/478, I could open it up in MapSource and send it to my GPS just like it is. The X76/x78 can easily hold 10 direct routes of 250 pts each and and 10 track logs of 250 pts. (Remember, I'm leaving this as a "direct route" and not re-calc it) Technically the route and the track should look identical, but I can follow either one or both). If I didn't want to load 10 tracks since I could really do it in 5 tracks, I could easily use the "join" tool in MapSource to combine every 2 tracks into 1 effectively creating Five 500 pt tracks. This would take all of 10 seconds for me to do and is very easy in MapSource.

As for Towpro who has a Nuvi which sounds like doesn't handle tracks very well if at all, if he was getting this file from you, he gets it with 10 tracks and 10 routes. He can't do much with the tracks so he either just ignores them or deletes them. I'm not sure if the Nuvi can do "direct routes" or off road routes", but I know in MapSource you can definitely tell it not to "re-calc" routes that you bring in. If his Nuvi can only do "calculated" routes, then he'll be forced to actually calculate it and send it to his GPS as a calculated route, but since he's using his MapSource version to do this, it should work fine.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 02-03-2010 at 07:33 PM
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:13 AM   #18
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
He's on a Delorme PN40, so no MapSource.

He can still use Mapsource

Installing Mapsource without a Garmin GPS

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:31 AM   #19
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Blue, I will try some of your points when I get time. I no longer use the Garmin for the bike. But when I do take a week this spring to test out my new PA route for the Trans Atlantic trail, I plan on taking the Nuvi along for backup, plus I plan to put the route on my buddies Zumo 500.

Again, I am using a Nivi 760. It don't do tracks very well (but it does save them if you know where to dig and find them).

It will allow you to import GPX files, but you are limited to the number of points. I think this is written as 500 waypoints, but as the route mileage gets longer, this number goes down. I called Garmin on this one, there is no set figure. What will happen is the route (gpx) will end at the point the memory runs out of room for more waypoints.

I have also ran into a problem where I was doing a route on grouprider.com with Vias to force me down back roads, then exported this as a GPX, brought it into the 760 (as a gpx), add all these vias turned into favorite locations. It bogged the gps down so bad I ended up having to do a hard reboot just to get it to restart. This is why I wrote in my notes about bringing it into mapsource, and changing it to a gdb file. I am not a mapsourse export, but I found it easier to edit that way.

What kind of Garmin GPS do you use? I only have experience with my Nuvi
Old 02-04-2010, 07:18 AM   #20
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
A route on any nuvi-based (including zumo) Garmin GPS can only have a max of 250 Via Points (Waypoints) according to Garmin Software Engineering. When the unit reaches the 249th point it calculates a straight line between that point and the end point in the original route.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:39 AM   #21
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
Blue, I will try some of your points when I get time. I no longer use the Garmin for the bike. But when I do take a week this spring to test out my new PA route for the Trans Atlantic trail, I plan on taking the Nuvi along for backup, plus I plan to put the route on my buddies Zumo 500.

Again, I am using a Nivi 760. It don't do tracks very well (but it does save them if you know where to dig and find them).

It will allow you to import GPX files, but you are limited to the number of points. I think this is written as 500 waypoints, but as the route mileage gets longer, this number goes down. I called Garmin on this one, there is no set figure. What will happen is the route (gpx) will end at the point the memory runs out of room for more waypoints.

I have also ran into a problem where I was doing a route on grouprider.com with Vias to force me down back roads, then exported this as a GPX, brought it into the 760 (as a gpx), add all these vias turned into favorite locations. It bogged the gps down so bad I ended up having to do a hard reboot just to get it to restart. This is why I wrote in my notes about bringing it into mapsource, and changing it to a gdb file. I am not a mapsourse export, but I found it easier to edit that way.

What kind of Garmin GPS do you use? I only have experience with my Nuvi
I've owned and used GPS III, III+, V, Etrex Vista, 2610, 2820, 376c, 478 & the MIO C310x. My current GPS's I use are the 2820 and 478. My wife uses the 376C. I never could get used to the Etrex even though I think it would make a great DS GPS.

The 367C/478 are my favorite GPS to date! Between the integrated XM & Nexrad weather, awesome tracking capabilities and one of the best GPS screens, they do everything I need. I like the 2820 for its ease of navigation and BT capabilities and 3D view, but if I had to choose only one, the 478 would win out.

I've only ever just played with a few Nuvi's and was never impressed with them. IMOP, they are way too "dumbed" down and don't allow you to do what you want.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:56 AM   #22
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,344
Yes in Topo 8 you can draw the planed ride, convert it to a track and export it to a 'gpx' file as suggested, When I do my track files I will save three files, a unfiltered file with up to 10,000 points for each day, and then I split it up into 20 500 point tracks for the Garmin colormap units, I also have Mapsource and I will also make a 10 track 250 point file for the B&W Garmins, as there are still people who use that crappy tech, IMO it is worthless, better off with the roll chart.
Mapsource is great and needed to transfer files to the people who show up with a Garmin, it is also very easy to split the tracks and filter them as has been explained in an earlier post. Also remember to tell people to bring their transfer cable if they do not have a 'USB' garmin.

rwamf homepage

rwamf screwed with this post 02-04-2010 at 08:15 AM
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:02 AM   #23
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
If any of your friends use a Garmin zumo450 or zumo550 those 500 point tracks will do them no good. Give them the same 250 point track you are going to give the old B&W Garmins. Also, be aware the zumo450/550 don't do Track importing very well (Tracks are converted to a Route).

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:59 AM   #24
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf
Yes in Topo 8 you can draw the planed ride, convert it to a track and export it to a 'gpx' file as suggested, When I do my track files I will save three files, a unfiltered file with up to 10,000 points for each day, and then I split it up into 20 500 point tracks for the Garmin colormap units,
So you filter them down to 250 points with Topo 8? That is what I was using mapsourse for.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #25
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
So you filter them down to 250 points with Topo 8? That is what I was using mapsourse for.
No I use mapsource for the 250 point files , but for the 500 point files you can cut up a 10,000 point file into segments in Topo 8, or you can use Mapsource as well.
either way is okay, It is hard to beat mapsource for file handling/filtering after you have made your track in Topo 8, I use both.
R

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #26
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf
It is hard to beat mapsource for file handling/filtering after you have made your track in Topo 8, I use both.
R
This is true if your using a Garmin GPS, I switched to a PN-40 .

But I still need to export stuff so everyone else who jumped on the garmin bandwagon can use my tracks.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:26 AM   #27
huckleberry OP
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
it was easy to cut down the number of points on the pn from the menu's i just set the distance to 510' from 10' that gave me 300 points in 30 miles, i didn't know that i had to keep it under 500 so i guess i'll have to adjust a little on the map, was hopeing to keep it as simple as possible and do it with 2 tracks as the event will be 2 loops of aprox. 50 miles each. perhaps it would be better to do 4 tracts of 25 miles each to show more detail in the woods, but then no one will be reading the small screen while riding
Thanks for the link on the mapsource 9 dave! i guess i'll have to get that and work with it a little.
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote