Some are still alive and well

Old 01-30-2010, 07:25 PM   #32
Chilipepper
Baja wannabe

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLeR650
Not terrible.

Looks like it could be fun to rally around in. Wonder what it's get up and go is like.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:03 PM   #33
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,963
I've been wanting to ask the same question about the small truck market. Not just 4x4s, either- I can tell you that around here (bay area), toyota and nissan small trucks are a valuable commodity. Not many folks want to drive around a full size truck, park it on the street, etc. The new Toyota trucks seem a lot bigger than my 89. With a lumber rack and a canopy on the back, I can carry 20' lumber and a stack of plywood. For large amounts, the lumberyard delivers.

But the price on used, beat up yotas is ridiculous, partly because there is no longer anything in the econo/mini truck segment. I'm hoping that the Indian trucks succeed. . . .

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:08 PM   #34
Tallboy
hiding in the tallgrass

Oddometer: 12,385
Same argument for the size that the first 3 generations of 4Runners fit into. Gen 4 & 5 got and keep getting bigger. Market jumped the shark and wanted bigger - lost the greatest attraction for me - smallish utility on a truck frame.

Todd Snider
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:22 PM   #35
jonnytorch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
My 98 Tacoma still seems to be okay and I'd love to daily drive this thing forever but I'm still making a back-up plan in case the frame rusts out.

I've been looking hard at the Chevy Silverado 4x4 W/T with the v-6 and regular cab and bed. How are these?

I don't do any heavy hauling or towing and would use this as a daily driver go anywhere vehicle and have been trying out other options other than Toyota. (I'm still a big toyota fan)

I like bare bones vehicles and I may be the only fellow who purposely trys the smaller engine option on vehicles. Always.

I looked at Ford F-150 and was put off by the higher price tag and the option of a v8 only. (I know it's 4.3 v6 versus 4.6 v8 but I don't see why it's so much more for Ford.)

Any opinions would be swell including pushing me back to Toyota.
jonnytorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:27 PM   #36
KiLeR650
Renegade Wheel-peeler

Oddometer: 7,066
In australia they have a whole class of pickup they call the 'ute. Think el camino's and ranchero's. Except they didn't stop making them 70's. Wish they'd sell them here.
KiLeR650 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:53 PM   #37
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilipepper
Looks like it could be fun to rally around in. Wonder what it's get up and go is like.
Stock, it's a little bit of a slouch. The '07-'09 DOHC, 16-valve, 2.0L motor is tuned pretty conservatively at 143 crank HP (around 150HP for the '10), but there are at least 2 turbo kits and other performance parts out for them now. The turbo kits are capable of bumping the dyno results up from around 100WHP to over 200WHP with some additional parts, and some naturally-aspirated SX4s have been built close to the 200WHP mark as well. Many people on the SX4 forums have seemed pleased with simpler mods like intake, header, catback, and ECU upgrades to improve both power and MPG.

The handling feels pretty sporty, but still gets considerably better with stouter anti-sway bars, a wider track, and sticky rubber.

Standard features are pretty generous for a car that stickers new around $15K-19K. I see used models occasionally going for under $10K now.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #38
VegasKLRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,909
Haven't you heard? In America bigger is ALWAYS better....

I grew up driving small trucks and I loved the combination of utility and size. My best friend drives a 99 Toyota Tacoma, which is a fantastic vehicle and extremely capable. The new Tacomas are bigger, more powerful, MUCH more expensive and less useful. I would strongly prefer an old Toyota with the 22R engine in 4 wheel drive to take offroad or to the ends of the earth rather than any current offering.

That being said, I do have a Chevy 3/4 ton pickup since it can tow the 8000# trailer that I own.

WWJWD?

What Would John Wayne Do?

Southwest Riders visit www.my2wheels.com.
VegasKLRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:23 PM   #39
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,368
Only missing in the USA I think - the rest of the world has the Toyota Hi Lux,Mitsubishi Triton,Nissan Navara,Mazda Bounty and the Isuzu branded as the Holden Rodeo.All available in a V6,but 95% are sold with 4 cyl diesels,2.5 litre,except the Toyota which has a 3.0.At the moment the Mitsubishi 2.5 diesel is the most powerful.

motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:34 PM   #40
xshanex
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasKLRider
Haven't you heard? In America bigger is ALWAYS better....

The new Tacomas are bigger, more powerful, MUCH more expensive and less useful.

while I totally get the utility of the old ones......some towing capacity, seating for 5, side impact airbags, better overall safety, good power, and other perks that luddites abhor make for a pretty great truck.

I frankly like the mid-size truck segment. I didn't want to drive around a fullsize truck in day to day life but am thankful I'm not stuck with a underpowered single cab truck. If someone wants a single cab 4 cylinder 4x4 small truck you can still get them. I like many just have no use for them like I did 10 years ago. Their sales speak form themselves though. People just want and expect more and more from vehicles in every segment
xshanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:47 AM   #41
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by motu
Only missing in the USA I think - the rest of the world has the Toyota Hi Lux,Mitsubishi Triton,Nissan Navara,Mazda Bounty and the Isuzu branded as the Holden Rodeo.All available in a V6,but 95% are sold with 4 cyl diesels,2.5 litre,except the Toyota which has a 3.0.At the moment the Mitsubishi 2.5 diesel is the most powerful.

Bingo -- they're making lots of these smaller trucks, but they just don't think lardass 'merkins will buy them. And it's hard to make a pickup get decent mileage.

Prices for older used Toyota, Mazda, and Nissan pick-em-ups are batshit insane, so you'd think someone would have noticed that a market exists.

Aside from the piffling matter of corrosion resistance, Toyota pretty much got it exactly right with the long bed Pickup, circa 1989. (Wasn't that before the Tacoma name?).

You'll notice that a lot of small, medium, and even many larger pickups have stubby, nearly useless beds (including the example pictured) -- if you actually need to haul anything, you're pretty much forced into a full-size.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:51 AM   #42
Cat Daddy
Cob Artist

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard
My fishing partner bought one of those. He said it was kind of hard to find. Turned out it was a base model work truck. For another $1000, he could have had a full size 1/2 ton with a 6 cylinder, manual trans. MPG almost identical.
I never bother to shop full size trucks for several reasons...

1) I wanted something easier to maneuver and easier to park.

2) I've been ASE master certified since 1991 so I can say with confidence that I have fixed them all many times in the last 19 years and for my money, it's Toyota. They all have issues, but Toyotas have issues I can live with. I spent too many years working domestic dealership service departments.

3) Resale value. Justifiable or not, Toyota tops the resale value game here in Texas where I am at.

4) I know the rust issues on Tacoma frames. This truck is the newer design without those problem areas but it's a moot point anyway. Here in North Texas there is no rust concern with any brand or model.
Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:06 AM   #43
Mr. J
Banned

Oddometer: 9,655
does the stuck gas pedal recall impact the tacoma?
Mr. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:14 AM   #44
DominicDomingo
axe me anything

Oddometer: 7,093
nuked- hotlink changed

DominicDomingo screwed with this post 02-01-2010 at 11:38 PM
DominicDomingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:26 AM   #45
tommyg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
I do miss the small size of my old ranger, but up here in N michigan most truck are full size and I got tired of being the small guy on the road, especially in the winter. I feel so much safer in my full size gmc, although I always find a parking spot in the back of parking lots. hard to see backing up with a topper. I love that suzuki, never seen one before.
tommyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: