Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 07:28 AM   #46
andmoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat
How about this small truck?

Were not these supposed to be on amerikan shelves by now?
Old 01-31-2010, 08:10 AM   #47
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by andmoon
Were not these supposed to be on amerikan shelves by now?
Supposedly April now. They have been getting dealers lined up.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:47 AM   #48
Star-Bellied Sneetch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,754
I'd love a small truck, like the '84 Mazda I used to have, if I were in truck-buying mode.

I keep seeing the same two arguments here, and I don't really get either one.

The first: "For ----- dollars more you can get a full-size!!" Well, who cares? I don't WANT a full size. I hate driving them, parking them, etc., and I don't need the towing capacity.

The second: "You can't get a small truck any more!!" FORD RANGER. It still exists, it's still small. I have a few friends who have them and every truck has been pretty damn reliable.

I just wish there were more choices.

I might be alone here, but if VW put a truck bed on the rabbit like in the old days I'd be all over it!
Old 01-31-2010, 09:04 AM   #49
Pro_Marinero
Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,086
I went from a 91 F150 getting 12 mpg to a 98 Ranger 4x4 with a 4.0/manual combo. I now get about 18 mpg. I wanted to go the MPG route with a 2.9/manual, but as a friend pointed out towing and passing are nice things to do. I've been very happy with the truck. I bought it at a state auction and it's the bare bones model but has A/C, and also has no carpet but rather rubber mat in the entire cab (perfect).

While it's a great little truck, I can get the same mileage in a modern full-size. I'm 6-6 and the little truck works well, but a bigger crew cab/long-box will be my next purchase, albeit years from now. I've hauled and pulled over a ton of pavers in one load which was definitely stretching it, and I easily load my bikes without even stepping in the bed. I use a Ready Ramp bed extender and can load all my crap with no problem.

Small trucks have their uses, but comparing them based solely on mileage really isn't a good one. Sure you can get mid-20's, but the lack of power will really tax you in certain situations if you work on a weight versus cube issue.
Pro_Marinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:41 AM   #50
Schmeds OP
scarce

Oddometer: 6,543
Is that silver thing a Daihatsu?
Old 01-31-2010, 10:02 AM   #51
Tweaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro_Marinero
I went from a 91 F150 getting 12 mpg to a 98 Ranger 4x4 with a 4.0/manual combo. I now get about 18 mpg. I wanted to go the MPG route with a 2.9/manual, but as a friend pointed out towing and passing are nice things to do. I've been very happy with the truck. I bought it at a state auction and it's the bare bones model but has A/C, and also has no carpet but rather rubber mat in the entire cab (perfect).

While it's a great little truck, I can get the same mileage in a modern full-size. I'm 6-6 and the little truck works well, but a bigger crew cab/long-box will be my next purchase, albeit years from now. I've hauled and pulled over a ton of pavers in one load which was definitely stretching it, and I easily load my bikes without even stepping in the bed. I use a Ready Ramp bed extender and can load all my crap with no problem.

Small trucks have their uses, but comparing them based solely on mileage really isn't a good one. Sure you can get mid-20's, but the lack of power will really tax you in certain situations if you work on a weight versus cube issue.
I used the 4 cyl to haul loads up steep grades many many times. Way overloaded, sometimes over 1 ton. Its all in the gearing and they had that right. Only occasionally on the highway would I want more power. Power is more a state of mind than an absolute need.
Can't say about towing, the only things I wanted to tow was from the rental yards and they refused to hook up to any compact truck. Not enough weight.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:31 AM   #52
Blue Ridge Wheeltor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeds
Is that silver thing a Daihatsu?

Mahindra Diesel
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville
Blue Ridge Wheeltor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:42 AM   #53
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,396
2010 Chevy Colorado -- 4-banger, 4x4, smaller than a ranger, right around $20k stripped. Nobody wants one. :shrug

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:58 AM   #54
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike
2010 Chevy Colorado -- 4-banger, 4x4, smaller than a ranger, right around $20k stripped. Nobody wants one. :shrug

and here comes all the haters. They won't buy American, only Toyota, because of their quality.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:08 AM   #55
Motornoggin
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 20,955
Quote:

They are slightly larger than a Ranger (not much). The 4cyl is a good engine, 2.9L 190hp! and pretty decent mileage from what I hear. They do some goofy things to make them more profitable, but it's o.k. The frames don't rust and the gas pedals don't stick either.

Would be sweet with a small diesel!

My Wyoming has an East infection.

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com
Motornoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:10 AM   #56
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyg
I do miss the small size of my old ranger, but up here in N michigan most truck are full size and I got tired of being the small guy on the road, especially in the winter. I feel so much safer in my full size gmc, although I always find a parking spot in the back of parking lots. hard to see backing up with a topper. I love that suzuki, never seen one before.
How do you feel on your bike?
Old 01-31-2010, 11:22 AM   #57
AzB
Fattest thin man

Oddometer: 3,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills
How do you feel on your bike?

Az
Old 01-31-2010, 11:26 AM   #58
Tweaker

Quote:

I read somewhere it's scheduled to be discontinued.

Which really answers the question of the op. They aren't being built because it is a declining market and has been for years. Thats why Toyota, Nissan et al abandoned it. Even Ford, as the other last remaining vestige has seen a steady decline in sales.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:43 AM   #59
Star-Bellied Sneetch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker
I read somewhere it's scheduled to be discontinued.

Which really answers the question of the op. They aren't being built because it is a declining market and has been for years. Thats why Toyota, Nissan et al abandoned it. Even Ford, as the other last remaining vestige has seen a steady decline in sales.
You may be right. However, there are two other things to consider: The Ranger is an ancient design, and the Colorado is pretty much thought to be a piece of junk. Plus it's mid-size. "Small" trucks have been getting bigger and bigger. I really believe that if the Japanese brought back really small trucks that got 30+ mpg, the market would be there, but I could be wrong.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:56 AM   #60
KilLeR Kawasaki
Marky A

Oddometer: 927
The idea of this thread was a small truck. Regular cab pups are not as popular as access cab in the Toyota line (I sell them). An access cab 4x4 4 cylinder is around $23k and is the same size of the V6 but not as tall. That is a nice little '08 there.
Colorado Dual Sport Riders
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: