Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 05:05 PM   #91
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Bellied Sneetch
Am I the only person in the world who doesn't want to have to lift shit up to chest level to get it into the bed?
How short ARE you? The tailgate on my buddy's 4WD Tundra is only at about my navel when it's down.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:06 PM   #92
KiLeR650
Renegade Wheel-peeler

Oddometer: 6,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando
How short ARE you? The tailgate on my buddy's 4WD Tundra is only at about my navel when it's down.
So if the box you're lifting is 18 inches tall, you gotta heave it to your chest to get it in. My tailgate is barely above my knees.
KiLeR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:19 PM   #93
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer
Aside from the piffling matter of corrosion resistance, Toyota pretty much got it exactly right with the long bed Pickup, circa 1989. (Wasn't that before the Tacoma name?).

You'll notice that a lot of small, medium, and even many larger pickups have stubby, nearly useless beds (including the example pictured) -- if you actually need to haul anything, you're pretty much forced into a full-size.
I completely agree with the longbed minitruck mention. A 4dr longbed in a mini size would be just right for somebody 5'8" like me. I don't see people over 5'10" and/or 200lb being comfortable in something like that though.

For something modern of petite dimensions, one could look into a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (2dr LJ with halftop, or 4dr JK with top off). They don't get the best MPG, but they'll tow 3500lb, have a payload cap of around 1000lb, come standard with Dana44 rear axles, are available with locking diffs, and fit places that midsize or large pickups won't. You can pull the carpeting and backseat, then Herculine the bed for more utility. Throw the backseat back in pretty easily when you need to seat more than 2.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:31 PM   #94
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 19,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo
I went out to write a check for a new ranger a while back. They said you can't have the limited slip rear unless you get the bigger motor. All I wanted was a light duty hauler with good economy and a limited slip rear for a rear drive p/u. Can't get it. Toyotas were huge ugly and expensive.

I ended up with an 82 VW diesel pickup, 5 speed, great traction, and adequate hauling for my needs. Last tank was 42+ mpg around town. 500 mile range.

The ranger's best mpg with the 4 was like 27 mpg. These companies are going to have to do better if they want me money.

Cool score.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:32 PM   #95
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyg
Human ills, I knew that response was coming from somebody, Ive been riding bikes for 35 years and street bikes for 25(iam only 41) the love of riding has outwayed the danger. I guess when Iam in the cage its nice not to feel so vulnerable once in a while. Plus I only get 7 months of riding here.
just busting your chops.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:34 PM   #96
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Bellied Sneetch
Am I the only person in the world who doesn't want to have to lift shit up to chest level to get it into the bed?

I'd rather have the '82 Volkswagen.

One thing I'd do when loading heavy stuff is to back up toward my driveway and leave the rear wheels in the gutter. Gets the tailgate down to about a foot-foot and a half.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:54 PM   #97
tommyg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,280
human no offense taken, legtimate question. back to trucks, i was parked next to a friend with a dodge 1500 extended cab, i have a gmc extended cab. both are stock 4x4 i couldnt believe how much higher his truck was. Dont see the point of the extra height.
tommyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:15 PM   #98
Star-Bellied Sneetch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando
5' 8". And "tailgate at navel" is much too high, in my opinion. Plus, it's nice to be able to easily chuck stuff in over the sides.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:38 PM   #99
D-FENS
Noobalicious

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen
I wish when Subaru brought out that Baja they would have instead done an updated brat... just a bit of storage behind the front two seats and a decent sized bed (maybe 5'), on their new Legacy/Outback mechanicals.

It would have been a winner.

Instead they put out a vehicle with a three foot bed.

Jurgen
I could not agree more, I modern BRAT would have been a home run IMHO.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:41 PM   #100
D-FENS
Noobalicious

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo
I went out to write a check for a new ranger a while back. They said you can't have the limited slip rear unless you get the bigger motor. All I wanted was a light duty hauler with good economy and a limited slip rear for a rear drive p/u. Can't get it. Toyotas were huge ugly and expensive.

I ended up with an 82 VW diesel pickup, 5 speed, great traction, and adequate hauling for my needs. Last tank was 42+ mpg around town. 500 mile range.

The ranger's best mpg with the 4 was like 27 mpg. These companies are going to have to do better if they want me money.

Great find
I always wanted the pickup version but the best I could get were my hatchbacks. Outstanding reliability with great gas mileage, I drove them until they fell apart from rust and do miss'em.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:45 PM   #101
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Those small ute's like the brat and the rabbit p/u are just what the doctor ordered for folks that have to carry their tools and work clothes and the like.
Not everybody buys trucks to do dump runs or haul bikes.

They're a good size as a parts hauler, too.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:19 PM   #102
gweaver
Wandering between rooms

Oddometer: 1,376
Had a 94 Ranger with the 4cyl/5 spd combo. Was a decent truck, but driving hills with a load sucked. Kinda wish I still had it though, for those few times a year I really need a truck. Kinda looking around for something similar, but budgetary limits forbid getting serious.
G

I like my women like I like my instant oatmeal- quick, easy, and covered in facts about dinosaurs.
gweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:11 PM   #103
rikki tikki tavi
mongoose is gone

Oddometer: 247
A had a gorgeous custom-ordered 2004 F150, but a situation at work forced me to sell it (thought I was losing my job) and get an '08 Focus instead (fuel economy and no payments).

Now with the job secured, I'm in the market for a small p/u to replace the Focus. Want a manual trans. Suzuki's are re-badged Nissan Frontiers, but the only manual from them is on the base 2.3L engine.

Looked at Nissan's website and they have a 4.0 V6 with 6-speed manual trannies! OOOooohh...drool, drool...I want! Plus I get a discount on Nissan through work.

I had an '85 Nissan King Cab that was bullet-proof. 5-speed manual 4x4, it would pull some loads. Thing held up for well over 100k miles.

Pretty sure that's the route I'm going when it's time to pull the trigger.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:34 PM   #104
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDave
I don't need a full size truck. I don't want a full size truck. I don't tow anything larger than a jon boat. I don't haul anything bigger than a motorcycle. I don't want a stepladder to get into the bed. I don't want to impress the idiot next door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike
Chevy Colorado -- Nobody wants one. :shrug

I take a lot of shit from the rednecks at work that drive bigass full size trucks for their daily drivers (I usually ride to work) for my "half of a truck"............but it does what I need it to do, I need the four doors for when I take my Mom or grandkids anywhere, I need 4-wheel drive at least once a month for the beach trips, don't need a lot of clearance (I think it might be the lowest 4 wheel drive truck out there), I thought of lifting it just 2 inches, but it's so easy to get my bike in and out of it, I'll prolly just leave it where it's at. It has a in-line 5 that has plenty of poop for what I haul (bikes in the back or bikes on the trailer) and it gets 20-22mpg.

Last summer at Glacier National Park, first long road trip in the little truck and I was pleased

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:30 PM   #105
Tweaker

Oddometer: 8,615
I've heard good things about that motor. How about the rest of the truck? Manual tranny available?
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: