Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #31
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgerFriesDrink
Yeah, I'm just not confident I could successfully separate the cases, swap cranks and ride trouble-free, hence the 155. I guess you ordered the new 32mm throttlebody too?

Here's a question for you. I've recently gotten the green light to get THIS for my Fortieth this year. I'm really liking the new Zuma 125, but for almost 20 years now, every time I hear a Harley roll by, I stand and stare like a 5 year old. No way I'll be able to keep both. I thought I was done with shifting and then this new model comes along. WTF do I do?
Mm, gonna see how it does on the stock body.

That Harley...there was a time, back when I had decent knee joints...who knows? For now, "light" is the most critical factor. Once the surgery's been done...well, we'll be looking at the Versys...
DR-Z400SM, '68 Honda 305, '64 Honda C110, '06 Honda VT750, GTS 250ie, Genuine 150, Vino 125, Zuma 125, Yam C3, Honda Met, Tomos ST, PCX 150, Honda PS250 Big Ruck, Vino Classic 49, Honda Rebel, and a Lifan CT 70 clone I forgot about...
redhandmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:29 PM   #32
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,308
I've got a serious case of the wants for the 48.

I've also toyed with just getting an old 883R and seeing what it turns into.

Either way, next bike if I won the lottery or made a successful getaway from robbing a big bank would be another HD, a Ural Patrol, or a Versys. Seems like we have similar tastes in bikes around here.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #33
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

URAL PATROL!!!

"Yaaaaasssssssssss", said the serpent, "Mos' def, a Ural."

Geez, just how much can I hijack one poor guy's thread?
DR-Z400SM, '68 Honda 305, '64 Honda C110, '06 Honda VT750, GTS 250ie, Genuine 150, Vino 125, Zuma 125, Yam C3, Honda Met, Tomos ST, PCX 150, Honda PS250 Big Ruck, Vino Classic 49, Honda Rebel, and a Lifan CT 70 clone I forgot about...
Old 02-01-2010, 02:48 PM   #34
BurgerFriesDrink
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
I've got a serious case of the wants for the 48.

I've also toyed with just getting an old 883R and seeing what it turns into.

Either way, next bike if I won the lottery or made a successful getaway from robbing a big bank would be another HD, a Ural Patrol, or a Versys. Seems like we have similar tastes in bikes around here.
I know what you mean. My one buddy has a 1200R and my other buddy (a member here) has a Ural Patrol. I had my eye on the Versys before I got the DR650. Believe it or not, I thought the Versys was too "fragile" with the underslung exhaust just asking to be crushed and no provision for mounting a centerstand. I said "It's just a jacked-up Ninja 650!" which I guess isn't a bad thing after all.

I think my "48" craze might blow over. We'll see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhandmoto
Geez, just how much can I hijack one poor guy's thread?
Apparently, I'm your wing-man.
BurgerFriesDrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #35
driller OP
Twist and Go

Oddometer: 1,222
Jackers.....

Hijack? Feh, we're having fun aren't we?
B.F.D.
Just to make you feel rotten....I got to sit on one of those at the Spartanburg dealership Thursday before all the snow came in. It was neat.Nyah, Nyah, Nyah.
Now, answer the question. Have any of your riding techniques from the DR been helpful on the scoot during your excursions in the countryside?

Photog, you should make a separate thread for "The 7 reasons..." It would probably rate right up there with the old "11 stages of KLR ownership".

I'm trying to focus on learning how to whip a 200lb scooter in a hooligan fashion and you distract me with lustful thoughts of bikes like the Versys. Shame!
That 6fiddy Cortez rides ain't shabby at all, either.

So many bikes....so little time.
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:10 PM   #36
BurgerFriesDrink
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by driller
Hijack? Feh, we're having fun aren't we?
Now, answer the question. Have any of your riding techniques from the DR been helpful on the scoot during your excursions in the countryside?
Absolutely not. Two different animals.

When I first started riding the Zuma it was way twitchier than the DR of course, but now I've become accustomed to it like anything else.

The DR leans into corners smoothly, whereas the Zuma turns right now until you learn to modulate it. Now it feels like second nature.
BurgerFriesDrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #37
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

The Zuma is just, uh, more immediate in response and reaction; where the DR is a quarter-horse in changing direction, the Zuma is a scalded cat. If that makes any sense. Gear changes go away; it gets to be a muscle-memory, learned, automatic thing pretty quick; in brakng and leaning, the path is sensory-input/balance/action. Maybe because everything is on a smaller scale, it require less input yet gives you more, and faster, too.

Geez, the Z125 weighs a little more than two-thirds of the DR-Z, the throttle seems like it's wired right to the wheel, and it's low, low, low, and sticks like a glob of mud.

(Holy crap, what gibberish! Somebody explain what I'm trying to say)

Yeah,what BFDrink said...
Old 02-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #38
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Sorry for going overboard.

I'm enjoying the thread BTW.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #39
NEVERLOST
Banned

Oddometer: 949
i thought most people ride KLR's becasue they couldnt afford motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilLeR Kawasaki
I thought most people rode scooters because they were; A) Scared of Motorcycles or B) Need an auto tranny.

As neither of these seems to apply to you, why would you expand your stable in that particular direction?
NEVERLOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #40
notdave
gets bored easily

Oddometer: 152
my scoot feels less solid than my ninja. im slightly afraid to whip it and get lean angles cause the tires are small and my scoots never been dropped....on the other hand, if i had an old scoot with body damage i'd take bigger risks. but as for now i dont want to ruin my mint condition body lol
Old 02-01-2010, 07:22 PM   #41
seraph
asshole on a scooter

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by notdave
my scoot feels less solid than my ninja. im slightly afraid to whip it and get lean angles cause the tires are small and my scoots never been dropped....on the other hand, if i had an old scoot with body damage i'd take bigger risks. but as for now i dont want to ruin my mint condition body lol
If you're still on those stock IRC or Cheng Shins or whatever it was it came with I wouldn't push it either. Swap that rear out for a Michelin S1 or something and you'll be scraping hard parts in no time (at least on the left side - the plastic transmission cover is the first to scrape; on the right I think it's the centerstand and it's harder to get to. Hooray for roundabouts!)

And I gotta throw my hat in with the "scooter like a hooligan" crowd. I don't have a big bike but I am 100x the asshole on my scooter than I am in my car. It was bad on the Metro, worse on the Vino, and worse still on the Stella (since I don't have to wait for the CVT to catch up).
seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #42
rtking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph
If you're still on those stock IRC or Cheng Shins or whatever it was it came with I wouldn't push it either.
Agreed. The stock Cheng Shin tires on my former Vino 125 were terrible. I swapped them for Pirelli SL26 and the scoot handled great. Hit the hard points on both sides of the bike... no problem. (As Seraph stated, plastic transmission cover ont he left, center stand on the right.)
rtking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #43
pampine
Warrior

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
...I've recently gotten the green light to get THIS for my Fortieth this year. I'm really liking the new Zuma 125, but for almost 20 years now, every time I hear a Harley roll by, I stand and stare like a 5 year old. No way I'll be able to keep both. I thought I was done with shifting and then this new model comes along. WTF do I do?
You think about how it will fall apart as you ride down the road.

Pam, who had the full experience with a '78 Sportster Cafe and gladly traded it for a R90S
pampine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #44
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampine
You think about how it will fall apart as you ride down the road.

Pam, who had the full experience with a '78 Sportster Cafe and gladly traded it for a R90S
yeah, that 78 is damn near identical to a 2010.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:59 AM   #45
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,848
Quote:
Yeah, I'm just not confident I could successfully separate the cases, swap cranks and ride trouble-free, hence the 155. I guess you ordered the new 32mm throttlebody too?

Here's a question for you. I've recently gotten the green light to get THIS for my Fortieth this year. I'm really liking the new Zuma 125, but for almost 20 years now, every time I hear a Harley roll by, I stand and stare like a 5 year old. No way I'll be able to keep both. I thought I was done with shifting and then this new model comes along. WTF do I do?
Why not keep both?

The little 125 for sure isn't an expensive thing to keep around, and
you'll STILL use it more then your HD after a month or two of ownership,
I can guarantee that!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote