I forgot about flat tires about 5-6 years ago when I bought a pair of my
first Schwalbe tires with puncture protection. There's a bunch of different
ones with different levels of protection. Long story short, I've had _one_
puncture a year, and I used to average about 4000 miles/year on my
bicycles from ~2000-2007.
Oh yeah, there's even the inner tubes with some sort of liquid that fix
the flat by themselves (not 100% efficient but it works) for like $7-8/ea
here.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:12 AM   #77
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,922
Cool Thread!!!

I got bored, so looking thru Scoots I found this thread

It's kept me amused by reading the whole thing, great stuff!

Couple of comments
1. The "green meanie" got wide on the exit, spun the back tyre out, classic highside. The front got wobbly only after the back came round on him.
2. My daughter's 50cc scoot is the ideal learner bike, bar none. She had the thing less than a month and was scraping the centre stand and showing off doing rolling stoppies. When I told her off for both her reply was "I do it at 40kph, you on your Ducati do it at 140kph. Which is safer?"
Bloody kids........
3. I entered the scoot in our dirt-track "barrel racing", cornering technique involves leaning it over MX style low enough to scrape the lower pan in the mud, thereby stopping faster than by using brakes. Keep power on at all times, and your round the corner. I beat some 450's (very tight, slippery track......)
4. Riding little scoots Supermoto style backing in everywhere should be illegal (uuhhmmm, probably is, maybe?), but one of the best ways to have fun ever.
5. If you ride a big bike, and ride it fast, borrow a friends little scoot to zip around on through a town, preferably with roundabouts. THEN, come back here and ask what all the fuss is about.
6. Riding the scoot into a corner deep and fast, then trail-braking the back brake a bit, keeps them really stable at STOOOPID lean angles as long as the power is on a bit too at the same time. Try doing THAT on your sports bike on bumpy streets.

Bloody good fun!
Old 02-04-2010, 06:31 AM   #78
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by MODNROD
Couple of comments
1. The "green meanie" got wide on the exit, spun the back tyre out, classic highside. The front got wobbly only after the back came round on him.
2. My daughter's 50cc scoot is the ideal learner bike, bar none. She had the thing less than a month and was scraping the centre stand and showing off doing rolling stoppies. When I told her off for both her reply was "I do it at 40kph, you on your Ducati do it at 140kph. Which is safer?"
Bloody kids........
3. I entered the scoot in our dirt-track "barrel racing", cornering technique involves leaning it over MX style low enough to scrape the lower pan in the mud, thereby stopping faster than by using brakes. Keep power on at all times, and your round the corner. I beat some 450's (very tight, slippery track......)
4. Riding little scoots Supermoto style backing in everywhere should be illegal (uuhhmmm, probably is, maybe?), but one of the best ways to have fun ever.
5. If you ride a big bike, and ride it fast, borrow a friends little scoot to zip around on through a town, preferably with roundabouts. THEN, come back here and ask what all the fuss is about.
6. Riding the scoot into a corner deep and fast, then trail-braking the back brake a bit, keeps them really stable at STOOOPID lean angles as long as the power is on a bit too at the same time. Try doing THAT on your sports bike on bumpy streets.

Bloody good fun!
What he said!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:51 AM   #79
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by MODNROD
. The "green meanie" got wide on the exit, spun the back tyre out, classic highside. The front got wobbly only after the back came round on him.

Bloody good fun!
Ah! But he did it with such panache! Why, it's a pro move even I can do!
Old 02-04-2010, 07:31 AM   #80
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,922
It can't be a pro move, I'm an amateur has-been, but when I was an amateur "just-barely" i did it too........and ended up over the pit wall and under someone's trailer!

Spose I forgot to trail-brake.......

Now when is someone gonna make a 350cc+ scoot that weighs less than 135kg wet? I can't be bothered to make one, but a scoot that's LIGHT and has POWER?
Old 02-04-2010, 07:56 AM   #81
driller OP
Twist and Go

Oddometer: 1,215
Sudden

Good eye!
My attention was locked on the front wheel when he went over. Looking again reveals the rear stepping out. The one thing that stands out is how fast things happen with the small wheel.....ZIP,WHIP,POW!
Trailing brake is something I am trying to master on the MAJ. Using the rear brake to square off turns in the dirt works for me on the DS but I'm still tentative using it with the heavier scooter.. Appears that the chap railing along on the Buddy may be playing that...look at his left hand.

Thanks for the great tips and comment.
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:57 AM   #82
blackjenner
Just a rider.

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by KilLeR Kawasaki
I thought most people rode scooters because they were; A) Scared of Motorcycles or B) Need an auto tranny.

As neither of these seems to apply to you, why would you expand your stable in that particular direction?
I own a 99 1200 Bandit and a 2004 SV650. Both are hot-rodded to some degree. This was after I got rid of four others due to space considerations when I moved.

I also own a Vino 125.

Why?

It's cheap. It's gets 70mpg. It's easy to park and very easy to ride in the city. And it's fun.

There are other reasons to enjoy scooters.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:02 AM   #83
blackjenner
Just a rider.

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by driller
I have found a couple of threads on "Perfect Line..." about people who have made the move from scooter to motorcycle, but none comparing differences in riding techniques between the two.
Considering the different center of gravity, weight distribution, shorter wheelbase, rake angle and all the other elements that affect handling of scooters, there must be some different techniques that allow a rider to maximize fun, speed and safety.
I ride a Dual Sport bike and a large "Maxi" style scooter. The Maxi is much more "bike-like" in it's handling, but there are still some different things going on to follow the laws of physics as you wind through the twisites.
I am considering getting a smaller wheeled scoot (think Zuma125 or similar) for closer local running around. Just the road to town and the grocery store has enough curves to make you dizzy.
So, what wisdom do you offer for taming the small wheeled beasties.?
In my experience:

1) inputs seem to happen *now* - as someone else said.
2) the little wheels *do not like* rough roads. I recently purchased a big wheel (16") scooter and have really noticed the difference in Seattle's potholed roads.
3) On decent roads you can ride the snot out of the thing. I find I ride pretty aggressively. On one twisty little road in Seattle, I have had no problem keeping up with many bikes on the downhill sections where power is not an issue. That guy on the Ducati monster was pretty surprised.

Have fun.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #84
amycyclenut
faster dammit

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by driller
Interesting clip.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnily8sYJrg
Been trying to analyze how he went down. He was pouring through the turn in such a nice line when the front appeared to wash.
The way the front whipped to and fro gave me deja vu of when I smacked down nearly 50 years ago. I didn't get up and run away.Got me a side car after that wreck.
Any thoughts other than s#%& happens?
Personally, I think he might have been coming out of the corner too wide and too fast, went too hard on the front brakes and trying to corner at the same time because the front end starts wobbling hard.
1974 CB450
1970 CB350
amycyclenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #85
driller OP
Twist and Go

Likker Sikle

Errands took me near a multi-brand dealer in Asheville, today. Couldn't resist stopping in.
Admittedly I was looking a bit seedy..old fart, ratty sweatshirt, two days of whiskers, frazzed ball cap. Get the image?
Walking past the motorcycles, I eased over to "scooter corner" and was eying some of the inventory. A young salesman came over and started sizing me up; asking how he might help me. I replied "Just wanted to check out the scooters".
First thing out of his mouth was "if you don't have your license, these are what you want to see" while pointing to a couple of 50cc units. I must have cut him one of those "Whatchoo Lookin At, Willis?" glares and he did some quick backpedaling, apologies pouring forth.
I kindly let him know I was not a candidate for a "Likker Sikle" (alternative transportation for those who have lost their driving permit from DUI) . We then went on to have a good time talking bikes and scooters. He too, gets a kick out of his Zuma. Indeed, he is an avid tuner and rides it more than a couple of other motorcycles he owns and digs the "scooter culture" of Asheville.
We parted with a good laugh and agreeing the "small wheels" are outrageously fun.
2011 PCX 125

driller screwed with this post 02-04-2010 at 04:28 PM
Old 02-04-2010, 03:04 PM   #86
BurgerFriesDrink
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Did Cortez ever take delivery of his Agility yesterday? I need closure.
BurgerFriesDrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:18 PM   #87
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
Wherefore art thou, Cortez, and thy Agility?
Old 02-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #88
driller OP
Twist and Go

We wait....

Yes, we are waiting.....
2011 PCX 125
Old 02-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #89
Cheshire
Anachronistic rideby

Oddometer: 267
Driller: was that MR Cycles in the Biltmore area of Asheville? You should check out Myers one exit up on I-40 on Sweeten Creek. They carry Genuine...oh, and Triumph and Ducati.
Cheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #90
driller OP
Twist and Go

Yep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire
Driller: was that MR Cycles in the Biltmore area of Asheville? You should check out Myers one exit up on I-40 on Sweeten Creek. They carry Genuine...oh, and Triumph and Ducati.
Yep. MR.
Myers may well have my next small wheel scoot.
2011 PCX 125

driller screwed with this post 02-05-2010 at 05:52 AM