User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2014, 06:34 PM   #1
Dagwood_55 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,313
Side by Sides, Gator vs Ranger

I live in the country, got 25 acres or so and 5 grandkids that like the outdoors. My Polaris ATV has bit the dust and I've been wanting a side by side to tool around on the land, help with cleaning up, food plots, deer feeders, firewood, fences and such, and the grandkids enjoy going out on rides. And a couple of times a year, we hit the National Forest and roam around a bit.

So, I've narrowed it down to the Polaris Ranger XP900 and the John Deere Gator XUV825i. Both are priced about the same, both offered with power steering and both have dealers in the town next to me. Don't want a Razor or a blast around SbyS, want a working one

I've driven both on the dealers yard (can't tell much by this) and I like the one I looked at last. Anyone have any imput????
Old 09-27-2014, 08:54 PM   #2
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,691
Bump to the top. Me interested too.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #3
cedric
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Have you looked at the Honda Pioneer? Seems like a nice compromise to me.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:46 AM   #4
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,736
I own a 825i gator, and have heard good things about the Polaris. The gator seemed built better to me when I was shopping. Currently I have about 600 miles on it, nearly all on my farm working. Most of those miles are with a load in the bed.

The biggest crutch off-road is water crossing and ground clearance, it's pretty bad at both.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:09 AM   #5
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
My neighbor has a Deer, I have no idea what model, but he uses it all the time for chores around his farm and favors for all of us that live in the adjoining development. To look at it it's obvious that it earns its keep.
Hope that helps.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:26 AM   #6
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,291
I've got 2 side by sides at work, a Ranger and a Kubota.

The Ranger is really comfortable and fast but it has a plastic box so I don't see it holding up over the long run.
Definitely a more recreation oriented machine.

The Kubota is a diesel, not terribly comfortable and pretty slow.
This is a work machine. It climbs well and has no trouble carrying whatever
you can fit in its metal box. I'm sure it isn't cheap but it is a real work horse.
I could see it being ok for roaming around if you aren't in a hurry.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:31 PM   #7
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,516
Here's mine...

It has the 500 single engine. 450hrs and I did have to replace the clutch, which is sooner than most, but I work this machine. We heat with wood I haul wood out of the timber up some steep grades and can easily put 800+ lbs in the box. It will climb anything steep enough to flip over, so you have to careful.

The main computer box went south pretty fast, but that was covered under warranty and I've replaced the battery. No other issues and this thing gets used almost daily.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:27 PM   #8
sperz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
I worked for a Polaris dealer for a few years so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

In most cases I've seen people happier with the Polaris. The Gator has been a workhorse for quite some time but lacks the refinement that the Ranger line up has. As for the 900. I'd probably pass on that. The Ranger 800XP is all the UTV you'd ever need. The 900 engine is based of the RZRXP engine and is a bear to work on. You'll need special tools and the engine has quite a tune on it. The 800 is so simplistic and easy to work on, it's a no brainer for me. Either way you go I'd still back the Polaris.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

2009 Buell XB12xp
1998 Suzuki DR350se
sperz1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #9
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,011
Tomcar
Old 09-29-2014, 08:07 PM   #10
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,899
Tractorbynet has many threads on SxS's.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM   #11
nskitts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,971
The Honda Pioneer does look nice and has an automotive style automatic trans.

Between JD and Polaris, I would pick Polaris based on extensive research I did...or the Pioneer. If I was looking for a bargain, the Kawaski Mule 620 is what I would get for simplicity and to save a few thousand bucks.

I did not drive any or have never owned any so I can't talk from experience only the mining of forums over a couple months.

nskitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM   #12
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,955
I occasionally hire a drilling company for various projects, and they have 2 of the 6-wheel drive Polaris. They use it about 4-5 days a week, and have no time to treat it gently. It gets over-loaded with cement, sand, and steel drill bits. It gets jumped and driven through deep mud. Nothing stops it. It will even handle a significant side slope without flipping over. It has towed my F150 out of a bog more than once. They prefer the newer fuel injected model, since they had to have the carb worked on once. (drillers get irritated when machines need maintenance)

We once rented a Kubota diesel 4X4. It was decent at carrying a heavy load, but the suspension was fragile. I clipped a rock on the side of the trail and bent the (expensive) strut. Diesels are great for water crossings, but we never had the need to try it.

No experience with the Gator.

A friend of mine has a Kawasaki Mule. It often needs work, but carries 8 people without issue, since he welded in some extra seating.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:30 AM   #13
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I occasionally hire a drilling company for various projects, and they have 2 of the 6-wheel drive Polaris. They use it about 4-5 days a week, and have no time to treat it gently. It gets over-loaded with cement, sand, and steel drill bits. It gets jumped and driven through deep mud. Nothing stops it. It will even handle a significant side slope without flipping over. It has towed my F150 out of a bog more than once. They prefer the newer fuel injected model, since they had to have the carb worked on once. (drillers get irritated when machines need maintenance)

We once rented a Kubota diesel 4X4. It was decent at carrying a heavy load, but the suspension was fragile. I clipped a rock on the side of the trail and bent the (expensive) strut. Diesels are great for water crossings, but we never had the need to try it.

No experience with the Gator.

A friend of mine has a Kawasaki Mule. It often needs work, but carries 8 people without issue, since he welded in some extra seating.
hell if a driller can't kill it, it must be damn near indestructible. the combination of conditions and ahem...staff members.. means their equipment gets hit hard.
groundrules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:45 AM   #14
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,955
We had this one job with a mud bog between the support truck and the drill site. The longer into the job, the deeper it got. By the end of the job, they had to go flat out down hill into the bog to get as far across as possible before the wheels were sucked under, and keep it pinned until it clawed its way out the other side. This was loaded with 1000-1500 lbs of sand and cement.

They let their clients shuttle all their gear in them as well, through the same rough terrain.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: