User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 98 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #136
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Oddometer: 4,494
My most recent addition, A '95 Taylor 610. What a booming dread, I put a L.R.Baggs under saddle active p/u in it. It's really unobtrusive as you only have the small volume wheel in the soundhole.

The old fella I bought it from had not played it in 10 years as he had gone deaf, almost brought tears to my eyes.

Near perfect book matching.

DW
Old 01-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #137
BMW Kurt
Taker of Pictures

Oddometer: 10,421

The guitar is a Martin HD-28. Love it!!!!!
My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #138
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

I like that box of Hohner's

DW
Old 01-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #139
BMW Kurt
Taker of Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner View Post
I like that box of Hohner's

DW
Thanks! Unfortunately, I have more money than talent. If I may say so myself, I have a bunch of damn fine instrument. I wish I could play better to do them justice!!!!!
My Travel Blog
Old 01-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #140
vagueout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,562
In and out of guitar playing with big gaps in between i consider myself a beginner again. One piece of advice i will offer if you are going the electric route is veer away from an amplifier loaded with effects and bedazzling features, i strongly believe they get very much in the way of advancing your playing. Likewise keep to a small amp, some of the greatest songs in your collective brain bank from past eras were recorded on relatively small amps in the studio, even the "heavy" sounding big songs like "sunshine of your love", clapton used a little fender champ in the studio. A small valve amp turned up is vastly better sounding than a big solid state amp, loud or soft. Reading an interview with keith richards some years ago, saying his stock answer to questions on advice for young players putting a band together was to keep the amps small - that way you will really develop a good sound as a band rather than drowning in noise. Re choice of guitar, in the U.S. you blokes have it made in the shade! If a gibson is what you lust after but cant justify the outlay Epiphone are a dream come true. A long long time ago i had a gibson 175 i bought in san francisco, beautiful instrument , saved my sanity whilst working away for a few years, sold it some years ago. Recent times looked into buying another guitar, my playing was next to gone so could not justify another gibson, didn't have to anyway, the used korean made epiphones on the market were outstanding value even here in australia. The later chinese epis i feel are still catching up in feel and quality. The serial number will reveal which country it was made in. I bought a used blonde 335 dot, aftermarket pick ups for a more vintage tone , absolutely stunning guitar for the money and very, very comparable to the real gibson dot. A few months ago i saw an unwanted epi riviera on ebay, took a punt bought it for sweet f a , it arrived a few days later opened the case -moment of truth- guitar was flawless, set up spot on , play and feel so rewarding. These things are brilliant.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #141
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,599
I agree with you...while I don't think of my self as a good player (I have only played for about a year) I have not seen much difference in the "pro level" guitars vs the "entry level" guitars. I have an epi les paul and almost dropped $1700 on a Gibson but could not see the difference between it and the $400 epi.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:35 AM   #142
BMW Kurt
Taker of Pictures

I have a 1969 Fender Princeton Reverb. That little hum from the tubes is sweet. Do this: Put on Stevie Ray Vaughn's "The Sky is Crying" and listen to "Little Wing" with headphones. You can hear that hum and it sounds like it was written into the music!
My Travel Blog
Old 01-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #143
Timmy Tucker
Beat to Fit

Oddometer: 786
Here's the last decent pic I have of my collection. It's pretty much all gone, working construction in this economy took a toll. I've had about 3x that much gear over the 14 years I've been playing. Could have paid cash for the house I have now w/ all the money I've spent.

The one I miss the most is the amp on the top left. Only 18 or 20 of them ever made. It was magical sounding. Took me 3 years to hunt one down.

This is the same tele that hanging on the left. It's a $200 Mexi standard. Had some custom pickups made and put on a new guard. Best sounding guitar I've ever had. Plays pretty good too.
And don't forget pedals. I've sunk about $10k in boutique pedals alone over the years. There's +/- $1500 worth in this pic. This shit gets way too expensive if you let it. Riding and maintaining a Ducati is definitely way more economical.

Timmy Tucker screwed with this post 01-12-2011 at 06:24 PM
Timmy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #144
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagueout View Post
One piece of advice i will offer if you are going the electric route is veer away from an amplifier loaded with effects and bedazzling features, i strongly believe they get very much in the way of advancing your playing. Likewise keep to a small amp..
So true...

A must see movie for any player...

from `It Might Get Loud`

DW
Old 01-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #145
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I agree with you...while I don't think of my self as a good player (I have only played for about a year) I have not seen much difference in the "pro level" guitars vs the "entry level" guitars. I have an epi les paul and almost dropped $1700 on a Gibson but could not see the difference between it and the $400 epi.
I don't know, $400 isn't really an entry-level guitar anymore Look at most of the so called 'kit' guitars. They're all sub-$200 and really play like it. $400, you're getting into the what most people pay for a decent guitar. Althought, really what it comes down to is how the guitar sounds to you. Some old POS guitars sound better then anything new.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #146
BMW Kurt
Taker of Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
I don't know, $400 isn't really an entry-level guitar anymore Look at most of the so called 'kit' guitars. They're all sub-$200 and really play like it. $400, you're getting into the what most people pay for a decent guitar. Althought, really what it comes down to is how the guitar sounds to you. Some old POS guitars sound better then anything new.
I really like the Epiphones, personally.
My Travel Blog
Old 01-12-2011, 11:17 PM   #147
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
anyone have a Rickenbaker 360? How does it play? Always wanted one.
Here's mine (only four strings, but still). 1986 4003 in Silver. One of the rarest colors - I've had several people offer to buy it from me.

I love all Ric's. Hate the company with a passion. Biggest bunch of arrogant pricks there are. Mine was in the shop for six months while the repair guy tried to find a mono jack for it. Ric was completely useless - wouldn't return calls, wouldn't help them if he did speak to a human. I'll probably never sell mine (I could pick up a decent KLR if I did), but I'd never buy another one.

Unless I were rich and could afford one of these...

discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:21 AM   #148
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,599
I would love to lay hands on a 330 or 325.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #149
EZ OUT
Sneaky Slow

Oddometer: 684
Looking for a an acoustic electric. Must be solid wood top. Paging any Tacoma owner.

Just getting back into guitar after selling my Epiphone EA250 for beer money in college

My friends still haven't forgiven me for that one.

01 Triumph Sprint ST
1982 Suzuki GS 850L
1977 Kawasaki KZ 400
1973 Honda CB 450
1975 Honda MT 125
1969 Honda 50 minitrail
EZ OUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:27 AM   #150
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,473
In spite of what some people say, the setup and the tone make a difference in how you play. It affects your enthusiasm. A good sound invites you to explore and encourages you to get better, and maybe even get out & go to the jam sessions. Get the best guitar you can afford and get it set up properly. Not everyone that does this work is actually good at it... do some research on who knows the stuff in your area.

Here's my current favorite amp:

http://www.traynoramps.com/products....&cat=63&id=251

This little rascal ROCKS. The sound is close to the Fender Blues Junior, but has less 60 cycle hiss. It also has 2 channels plus a boost, and an effects loop, headphone jack, XLR output and external speaker jack. Made in Canada.... not China. I own or have owned Fender, Marshal, Peavy and others... this one kicks ass. It's "only" 15 watts, but it's full on class A tube power. I have played clubs with it no problem... full sized band with bass, couple guitars & drums, etc, it holds it's own. It gives a great sound to any guitar... no stomp box required.

I've been playing about 45 years, played as a pro for about 5, toured the states, recorded, etc.

P.S. Traynor has been around since the '60's.
Beezer is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: