Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 105 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #1771
BMW Kurt
Bluesman

Oddometer: 10,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Ahh that is an oldie but goodie.

Yeah, I've heard most of them but the "tattoo" one was new to me. Pissed my drummer off with that one last week!
My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #1772
BMW Kurt
Bluesman

Toxic Guitar Chick Thread Now!

My Travel Blog
Old 07-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #1773
CaveDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,509
Very nice!

I'm going to DC this afternoon to check out a Craigslist ad. A Fender Super Champ XD and an Epiphone Dot Studio B, both for $250.

I was actually looking for just the Super Champ XD, but the Epiphone Dot looks like a fun toy and the price is right.
CaveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #1774
CaveDave
Beastly Adventurer

Yaaayyy!!

I got my Super Champ and, for an Epiphone, this Dot Studio is great. I'm gonna spend the evening cleaning it and getting it setup.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #1775
BMW Kurt
Bluesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDave View Post
Yaaayyy!!

I got my Super Champ and, for an Epiphone, this Dot Studio is great. I'm gonna spend the evening cleaning it and getting it setup.
If you got that for $250 you should be arrested for stealing! Enjoy!
My Travel Blog
Old 07-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #1776
CaveDave
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post
If you got that for $250 you should be arrested for stealing! Enjoy!
Thanks, Kurt! You have no idea how sceptical I was when I first saw the CL ad, especially since it was an hour and 20 minute drive to the heart of DC.

It was truly as advertised, however. The Super Champ, which is what I was initially looking for, was dusty but showed no signs of wear and still had the warranty tag hanging off the knob.

The Epiphone was a bonus that I didn't even know I wanted till I started playing it!!
Old 07-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #1777
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post

I can't wait to get this friggen cast off of my right hand, and start actually playing again. I've been playing a little, strumming and fingerpicking without my thumb, but it doesn't sound the best. Just trying to keep my left hand in practice.
I can't imagine it. I've never had an hiatus.

But whoa! I think it's better when I just play sloppy along with blues music, great fun. This Stratocaster makes me sound like a hero!

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:34 PM   #1778
mrmurph
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Here's my newest...a Pine bodied Ron Kirn Signature, he calls these the "Barnbuster", cause they are made out of 150 yr old pine salvaged from old barns etc. This one has wood from a old grain elevator.
Anyway, this is the pic he sent me upon it's completion....since I've had it, I've been too busy playing it to take any pics. I took it to our gigs this past weekend and played it about half the time on Friday and Sat night. It plays like a dream, the setup is incredible, and it has that classic Tele sound. I'm still getting used to it, but it is definitely going to be a part of my regular gig rig !

Murph
Motorcycles, Cars, Guitars.....
mrmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:34 PM   #1779
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,703
Got a call from the little mom and pop guitar shop I go to...and now have one of these on order....I am really pumped about this...I am not good enough to justify a real vintage but I have one of the squire vintage modified jazzmasters and have played several strats and they are very good guitars.

FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #1780
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,445
Gorgeous instrument, congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurph View Post
Here's my newest...a Pine bodied Ron Kirn Signature, he calls these the "Barnbuster", cause they are made out of 150 yr old pine salvaged from old barns etc. This one has wood from a old grain elevator.
Anyway, this is the pic he sent me upon it's completion....since I've had it, I've been too busy playing it to take any pics. I took it to our gigs this past weekend and played it about half the time on Friday and Sat night. It plays like a dream, the setup is incredible, and it has that classic Tele sound. I'm still getting used to it, but it is definitely going to be a part of my regular gig rig !
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #1781
CaveDave
Beastly Adventurer

This brings up a question. I enjoy a bit of wood working, and making a guitar body seems like it would be a bit of a challenge, but a lot of fun.

Do different woods really make a big difference on the tone of an electric guitar?
Old 08-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #1782
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,754
Quote:
This brings up a question. I enjoy a bit of wood working, and making a guitar body seems like it would be a bit of a challenge, but a lot of fun.

Do different woods really make a big difference on the tone of an electric guitar?

Sure.

A friend of mine who is a professional wood worker that also makes some pretty amazing guitars says that the density of wood means more than the actual wood. That being said Koa will be more dense than say maple. I mean you get a different tone between a Telecaster and a SG or a Strat and a Les Paul or a PRS......that is the wood you can dump whatever pickups you want into any of them and you won't get two guitars that have the same tone from that pile....or any pile.

There are tons of resources on the internet for the effects.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #1783
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,449
Quote:

Absolutely.

Maple gives a brighter sound.
Mahogany gives a deeper, darker sound.
(Les Pauls have both brightness and depth both because the bodies are made from both of the above.)
Rosewood give a more muffled sound because of the all the oil in rosewood. There's no solid body rosewood guitars because they sound so muffled.

As the previous poster stated, even identically made guitars will each have their own unique sound because every tree is a unique individual and therefor so is every piece of wood.
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #1784
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,152
This is also why there are different types of wood used for the fingerboards. Rosewood is warmer while Ebony is usually brighter. Maple is in between.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #1785
mrmurph
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
.......and the differences in wood types are even more pronounced in acoustic instruments, with different woods for the back, sides, neck,fretboards and tops of acoustic guitars all making a significant contribution to the unique tonal quality of each instrument. I think the differences between guitars being made of the same exact types of wood is also more pronounced in acoustic instruments, largely because the other factors that exist in a solid-body electric (ie pickups, tone pots, amps etc.) are removed from the equation. At least until you introduce them back into the equation....

IMO

Murph
Motorcycles, Cars, Guitars.....
mrmurph is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: