Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 91 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 12:54 PM   #181
frazman
Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Thanks for the replies, lately I am so hungry for this guitar stuff it is not funny, and getting real, fact baised response is nice. Posting something like what I said on the gretsch or LP forum is going to start a sh*t storm. I know I have seen it and it always comes down to (feel) for lack of a better word.

I have decided to look it as art. It is all up to you.

I am up for paying big $$$ for a guitar, I enjoy it that much but I have learned that they are all very different, the learning what is a dog and what is a gem is what I am trying to find out....I am just so new at this and have no one to ask (aside of sales people and who can trust them).

How do you tell one is a dog?
See josjor's post just above mine....

Yup, you can feel it. It may take a while to develop that ability, but there will come a time when you sit strap that guitar on, strum a few chords, pick a few notes and say...nope, not for me. I've suckered myself into buying a few really nice, yet dysfunctional, guitars over the years. My issues mostly have to do with the size/radius of the neck. I'm not a small guy, but I've got stubby Scottish fingers that don't do well with thick, flat necks. Not a construction issue per se, but one that would make a desireable guitar less than optimum in my hands.

Also, set up has a lot to do with feel. If the action is too high, it'll be hard to play. If the intonation is off, you'll have a hard time tuning it. If the neck is too concave or convex, you'll have playability issues. These issues are generally correctable. Issues such as poor workmanship are a bit more difficult to overcome.

Again, at your level, the best standard of judgement is: if it feels good (to you), sounds good (to you) and looks good (to you), it is (to you).

My advice is this: before you decide to buy: go to as many shops as possible and play as many guitars as possible. You might find something out there that surprises you. For me it was the Jazz bass. Never liked the aesthetics, but after playing Stingrays and Precisions, I have seen the light that is the sublime Jazz bass neck!!! Same for LPs and Strats: After playing these for years, I realized that I'm just a Tele guy. Never could easily solo past the 14th fret on a strat or LP. For some reason, it's much easier for me on a Tele.

Also keep in mind that gear discovery is part of the journey of playing the guitar. I don't think there's too many people out there that found "THAT GUITAR" the first time out....

frazman screwed with this post 02-14-2011 at 01:00 PM
frazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #182
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,177
You all make great points. Note my comments that my dream guitar- 62 Reissue Strat in LPB is not my go to guitar- that's my $475 G&L Legacy 3 bolt neck that I picked up off of Ebay. All things aside, I'm betting that for a strat type guitar you would be hard pressed to find a better guitar than a G&L Legacy (US Made). Me? I had to buy a Strat, because after all, nothing is as good as a Strat, right? So for twice the money and then some the Strat sits patiently in it's case while the G&L has the feel and the sound that stupid people like myself should be happy to live with.

I bought the Les Paul because I thought with smaller hands that I would love the shorter fret board. I'm not finding I like the muddied sound of the Gibson as much as single coil pickups. Probably more a case of liking what you're most used to.... Who knows we're an eclectic bunch, right?

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:36 AM   #183
mrmurph
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
It's been interesting to me over the years how my taste in guitars has changed (simplified). I started out playing HB guitars exclusively, 335s and a killer Gibson Custom Shop LP '60 reissue. But as time (and hundreds of gigs) wore on, I started migrating to Strats only using my LP for playing slide or occasionally on specific songs that "called for the LP tone". Anyway, I've spent a lot of money over the years on some high-end guitars (LPs, Collings, Andersons) etc. and I've arrived at the place where I play a mid-70s Strat that I paid $350 for back in the early 80s (I've modified it since then w Lindy Fralin pups and a Callaham bridge), and a Tom Anderson drop top. I just think it's hard to beat the sound and versatility of the "right" Strat or Tele...and you don't have to spend a fortune to find a really great player.

Murph
Motorcycles, Cars, Guitars.....

mrmurph screwed with this post 02-15-2011 at 04:29 PM
mrmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #184
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,655
a funny thing happened on my way to buy a 5-string

I play acoustic guitars [larrivee do5e mainly] and E bass.
so I got the hots for a 5-string but unsure which... and to prep I sold my Hamer Cruisebass usa 2tek active, and sold my MM Sterling - both 4-bangers, then sold my Aggie 12 cab and my gk head.... Then I couldn't figger out which 5 string I really want to play. so i needed to play SOMETHING, I scored a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass off Ebay - I had read some of the reviews and tuned in to some demos/comparos. Man am I impressed.... I paid 220 delivered for that thing, intonated it properly and messed with the action etc then hooked up - it is a killer. got some compression wounds on the way and I plan to put some chickenhead knobs on her and maybe a bridge/pup chrome cover.

I see a sadowsky 5 i sorta want, but the market has gone wobbly for high end custom small shop basses. i've seen too many [lots of 'em] go by on ebay no-bid. and some of those makers killed their own brand by subbing out the spec to aftermarket builders in asia - their prices tumbled.

Squier in action [not me...]
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:46 PM   #185
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,017
I've changed my mind. Well to be completely honest, I've changed my mind several times. It went from the Gibson Studio to the Epiphone 1959 60th Anniversary to the Gibson Standard to a Gibson Traditional then to a Gibson Traditional Pro... Now I'm jonesing for a Gibson Traditional again but in Heritage Cherry Sunburst. I'm liking the pre-chambered body and the '57 Classic's. I also want a HCS finish which narrows down the choices a lot. I'll have to save up a bit but I think this would be the last guitar I'd buy or want.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #186
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
... I think this would be the last guitar I'd buy or want.
Don't we say that every time?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #187
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
Don't we say that every time?
Nah, they're too expensive to do it more then twice.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:12 AM   #188
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Nah, they're too expensive to do it more then twice.
I try to justify them as 'investments'.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #189
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
I try to justify them as 'investments'.
Yeah, but you have to eventually sell them to be investments.
I've had my guitars over 40 years, can't quite force myself to
part with them.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:23 AM   #190
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
Yeah, but you have to eventually sell them to be investments.
I've had my guitars over 40 years, can't quite force myself to
part with them.
That's what happens to me as well. Not to mention the lack of room that goes with it.

If I get a LP Traditional, I'd be satisfied enough not to buy another, I think. My LP Jr has been great but I want something a little warmer. Although I wouldn't turn down an offer if someone was going to buy me, say an ES or something.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #191
RedRocker
Native Texican

1967 ES 175

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
Old 03-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #192
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
1967 ES 175

Doesn't that make it hard to cook? I don't use my stove that much, maybe I can put something in front of it as well.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #193
RedRocker
Native Texican

Those just came out of the oven.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:12 AM   #194
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Those just came out of the oven.
I guess they poof once they start to cool. Otherwise, you'd have splinters in the oven.

I was also looking at the '66 Wilshire Reissue and the ''65 Mustang. Then maybe an American Tele. to complete the set. Like I said though, I don't have room for them. Maybe if I start suspending them from the ceiling like those kitchen racks for pots and pans?
Old 03-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #195
RedRocker
Native Texican

Gotta buy a bigger house.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: