Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 103 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 10:35 AM   #16
Daniii
geezer

Oddometer: 23,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Maniaci
If you've got an iPhone, I'd highly recommend the Guitar Toolkit app. It has an unbelievable chord reference that allows you to strum and hear them, a metronome, and a pretty decent tuner. It's only a few dollars and it's amazing software.
Or better, plug in the headset and listen to someone who actually knows how to play.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #17
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajflyboy
Well

I have a new hobby. I'm just learning to play the guitar.

Let me guess... something to do while the bike's holed up due to cold and snow, eh?

Me too

Late 40s and don't know a thing about reading music, so I'm starting from dead scratch. Tried to follow some of the internet/youtube stuff, and dummy/idiot books, but it was too all-over-the-place for me and I could see I was diving into immediate bad habits.

Need my hand held like a 3rd grader, step-by-step DVD program "Learn & Master Guitar." Yup, that's about my speed...
Old 02-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #18
rajflyboy OP
Banned

Oddometer: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper
Let me guess... something to do while the bike's holed up due to cold and snow, eh?

Me too

Late 40s and don't know a thing about reading music, so I'm starting from dead scratch. Tried to follow some of the internet/youtube stuff, and dummy/idiot books, but it was too all-over-the-place for me and I could see I was diving into immediate bad habits.

Need my hand held like a 3rd grader, step-by-step DVD program "Learn & Master Guitar." Yup, that's about my speed...

I feel the same. I'm starting to think a few lessons might be worth it. Although I do enjoy the Marty Schwartz guitar lessons on youtube. This guy can play and he can teach!!
rajflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #19
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Maniaci
If you've got an iPhone, I'd highly recommend the Guitar Toolkit app. It has an unbelievable chord reference that allows you to strum and hear them, a metronome, and a pretty decent tuner. It's only a few dollars and it's amazing software.
THanks for the heads up. I have a chromatic tuner somewhere, but can never find the damn thing.

I know they probably aren't the greatest amps in the world, but I've seen some Line 6 amps, that have tuners built into them as well. Little 7-segment LCD that shows you the note. Nice to have something all built together.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #20
S_Palmer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
One of the guys that works for me has invented an electric guitar that
never goes out of tune. He thinks he can sell them for about $600.
What do you guys think, does he have a winner?
S_Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #21
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Palmer
What do you guys think, does he have a weiner?
05-GS- Rock Red 92k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:58 PM   #22
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Stick with your starter electric for a while. It will be much easier to learn on. Learn some simple songs that are fun to play (Can't Explain, Wild Thing, Summer Time Blues) so that you can enjoy it. Youtube is great and you have already discovered it, so that is a big plus.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #23
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe
THanks for the heads up. I have a chromatic tuner somewhere, but can never find the damn thing.

I know they probably aren't the greatest amps in the world, but I've seen some Line 6 amps, that have tuners built into them as well. Little 7-segment LCD that shows you the note. Nice to have something all built together.

I've got some nice amps, but the one I use most is a little Vox with a bunch of built-in effects. It's a great sounding amp at low to average volume, takes up hardly any space, and cheap (around $120). It would be ideal for starting out. Get a decent guitar that's setup correctly. You can find MIM (made in Mexico) Strats on Craigslist for between $200-300. If you give it up you can usually sell it for about what you paid for it, and most "beginner" guitars play like junk, and it's no wonder so many new players give up learning when you see what they're fighting with.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

Josephvman screwed with this post 02-02-2010 at 08:10 PM
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #24
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,445
Quote:
What do you guys think, does he have a winner?

If it sounds like a vintage Martin, then yes!
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #25
Daniii
geezer

Oddometer: 23,518
Electronic tuning is possible. You adjust the strings to be within the range of the tuner circuit, and software does the rest. It will be hard to replicate the sound of a Les Paul with that rig, though.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:41 PM   #26
S_Palmer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniii
Electronic tuning is possible. You adjust the strings to be within the range of the tuner circuit, and software does the rest. It will be hard to replicate the sound of a Les Paul with that rig, though.
No electronics, his design is all mechanical, he claims that temp. humidity,
and use will not affect the state of tune. He just got a patent and is looking
for investors to get into production.
S_Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:17 PM   #27
beyondhelp
likes cheese too.

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
No electronics, his design is all mechanical, he claims that temp. humidity,
and use will not affect the state of tune. He just got a patent and is looking
for investors to get into production.
Sounds like Rainsong Guitars, that's their claim as well. An all carbon / graphite guitar.
from their site:
Quote:
Impervious to Humidity and Temperature changes the inherent strength of graphite means a guitar that can survive travel and changes in the environment, while the stability of graphite means a guitar that will stay in tune, evidenced by the fact that all RainSongs are shipped from the factory tuned to concert pitch. The all-graphite soundboard will not belly, sink, or crack and the all-graphite neck will not warp with changes in climate. Light in weight, with a proportioned balance that makes it comfortable to cradle or stand with, RainSong is the ultimate combination of workhorse and racehorse for the professional musician.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:49 PM   #28
DaveBro
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondhelp
Sounds like Rainsong Guitars, that's their claim as well.
It'll probably sound like a Rainsong too -- like playing a cardboard box. Acoustic guitars need to be fairly lightly built in order to resonate and sound good. Guitars that are "stable" just don't seem to have that resonance.

To the guys who bought an entry-level acoustic and are thinking about stepping up to a better guitar: Think hard about getting a guitar that is made from all solid woods. Most guitars under $800 to $1000 are made from laminated wood ("plywood"), and they just don't sound very alive. At the very least get one with a solid-wood top.

Once you can play some, go to a good guitar store and play a low-end (but still all solid-wood) Martin or Taylor. It might really surprise you how much richer they sound. Can be really inspirational to your playing!

(And by the way, a quality guitar will stay in tune better than a cheap guitar too. With a decent axe and an electronic tuner, it's no big deal to keep a guitar in tune.)
DaveBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #29
rajflyboy OP
Banned

Oddometer: 2,043
Peavey $95 dollar amp rocks! This thing is awesome. As loud as you could ever want an amp to be for practicing.
rajflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:21 AM   #30
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,680
I am doing the same thing, mid 40's...what is it with guys in their 40's....I went out and bought a POS electric and little amp am playing with it. Got one of those learn the guitar dvd's from half price books and am doing some of the youtube stuff. I don't much like the sound of the guitar I bought, but it was cheap and I figure if I stick with it a month I will get something I like the way it sounds...I want a Gretsch, can't justify a 6120 but the 5120 sounds close enough for this guy.

I too am thinking about talking to a teacher, hit my knuckle on my left hand with a grinder and lost part of the bone and that finger does not work quite right, also have some nerve damage in the left arm that bothers me a bit. Need to talk to someone with experence about different ways to put my left hand...it just will not move in the way the DVD says to.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: