User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 98 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #301
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,108
I hate these guitar threads. In my on again off again guitar life, I'm on again. Been looking at getting a Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus. Has all the mods one would normally do to the Epi done at the factory. Gibson '57's, locking Grover tuners, Switchcraft 3-way switch, Mallory-150 Tone capacitors, etc... To make matters worse, I was watching Amazon and they dropped the price by $200. So it went from $799 to $599. Not too keen on Faded Cherry though. Since it's a limited, it might go out of production in a year. I missed out on the 50th Anniversary 1960 Version 1 they made a few years ago. Although if I miss out again, I'll either wait for another limited edition or pony up and get a Gibson Trad Pro.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #302
mutineer
Raoul Duke Lives

Oddometer: 18,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayduke View Post
my first electric guitar! my dad sent it to me out of the blue. I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Epiphone "gibson" sg

angus!

Angus!

Angus!

"Enjoy every sandwich" - Warren Zevon
mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #303
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter

Oddometer: 1,198

My wife just got me one of these for Valentines Day
Surprisingly, a very heavy sound !

thunderkat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #304
Howzit
DoubleTrouble 1,111

Oddometer: 1,092
1987 Alvarez Yairi DY80 12 String "Canyon Creek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68deluxe View Post
Nice guitar, how does it sound?
Thanks. It sounds perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Alvarez has the best acoustic sound IMHO, maybe a $7,000 Taylor sounds about the same as a $400 Alvarez.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneSlim View Post
I had an Alvarez Yairi DY-75, and it was a very well-engineered instrument. Served well as my main axe for many years, and when it was pretty well worn-out, I restored it and sold it on eBay. The guy who bought it was thrilled with it, as it was such a nice playing and sounding - and looking - guitar.

I've seen some recently new in stores that look and sound great, and look like very good values as well.
Perfect treble, perfect bass, perfect intonation, paired with a perfect neck and perfect action. It came with a Fishman pick-up and it sounds even more incredible amped. These are handbuilt by Kazuo Yairi and his team of luthiers and individually tested and setup before leaving Japan. It's 25 years old and in near-mint condition.

...I found this video of another on the web: http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/26438430

Yairi DY80 --------------------------------------------------------- Orlando P Bass ----------------------------------------------------------- Jarock Electric-------------------------

Howzit screwed with this post 02-24-2012 at 07:36 AM
Howzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #305
Elburrito
Donkey

Oddometer: 2,330
my Les Paul Studio

vintage Fender duo-sonic

Elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #306
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner View Post
So true...

A must see movie for any player...

from `It Might Get Loud`

DW
I love me some Jack White, but Seasick Steve really rips it up on the Diddley Bow

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:59 AM   #307
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,596
never new adv rider had a guitar thread. i jusat bought a new taylor lsat month. i've been playing a Cortez that i bought back in '76. i would go months and even years without picking it up. i was putting some string on it and one of the tuning lugs quit working. went to the music store to pick up a new one and brought home the Taylor. i'd never heard of Taylors before. they were hanging next to the Martins. the taylor played easier and sounder better. never thought i would spend that kind of money on a guitar before. they gave me a money back within 30 days if i changed my mind. within an hour of getting home i fixed the tuner (screw came out) on theCortez so i'd planed on taking the taylor back. NOT!!! i play it every day. found MARTY on utube and i'm learning lots of new songs. can't read music at all but can a chord chart. i'm way behind the 8 ball on playing for sure, but this new guitar sure sounds good! listed my old one on craigslist @ $100 with an almost new hardshell case. no luck.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:16 AM   #308
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,599
The next thing in line for me is a good strat...perhaps a MIM or MIJ, the current one I have is a super cheapie and sounds just flat.

Been looking for a few months on craigs list, but I just can't get pumped up about buying a strat....just no passion there....but I am starting to play some SRV type stuff and it sounds wrong on my gretsch or LP.

The thing that is hanging me up is it has to be one of two colors, white or that seafoam green. Little mom and pop shop in Holden has a green one in the window when I went to pick up the kid...but the next day it was gone....Just going to keep looking. Just can't swing an american one as the love is just not there....on the other hand I was looking at a rick 330, and that I would have no trouble dropping the coin for....just no love for the strat......wonder how blues would be on a rickenbacker
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #309
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
The next thing in line for me is a good strat...perhaps a MIM or MIJ, the current one I have is a super cheapie and sounds just flat.
I've been looking at Strats for a couple of years now, off and on, and have not found exactly the right combination of pickups, neck and frets to flip my switch. Take your time and play a lot of them. Eventually, you'll either find the Strat that is right for you or you'll stumble across a G&L, Crook, Class A or some other one that does it for you.

Quote:
Been looking for a few months on craigs list, but I just can't get pumped up about buying a strat....just no passion there....but I am starting to play some SRV type stuff and it sounds wrong on my gretsch or LP.
Personal opinion here You'll never get the crunchy SRV sound out of a Gretsch without a modeling amp and a bunch of pedals - the Gretsch (especially semi-hollows) are not designed for that tone. For one, the pickups and tone circuitry does not support that raw sound - it's really built for more of a jazz, swing, or Rock-A-Billy sound. The LP, OTOH can do it, but you'll have to search for the right combo of pedals and amp to get close

Quote:
The thing that is hanging me up is it has to be one of two colors, white or that seafoam green. Little mom and pop shop in Holden has a green one in the window when I went to pick up the kid...but the next day it was gone....Just going to keep looking. Just can't swing an american one as the love is just not there....on the other hand I was looking at a rick 330, and that I would have no trouble dropping the coin for....just no love for the strat......wonder how blues would be on a rickenbacker
Again, personal opinion. The Rickenbacker 330 will work well for the blues. The inherent tone of the guitar is very compatible to what most folks think of as a blues guitar sound (whatever that is). But so much of a blues tone is in the hands of the player. B.B. King plays a jazz, swing guitar, John Lee Hooker whomps on an Epiphone Sheraton (mostly associated with jazz, swing, and rock) using open tunings, and Clapton on anything he picks up, SRV on the Strat, etc. Then there is probably the greatest electric blues band on the planet - Led Zeppelin - primarily a Les Paul on lead .

Find the guitar that feels good, and a tone you like and make it your own.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #310
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #311
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,938
My rare Yairi DY-60 SLM Anniversary Model. I love everything about this guitar.

mb90535im is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #312
Censport
Vendor

Oddometer: 424
Don't mind me. Just showing off...

Of those pictured above, I still own just the three on the bottom right. In fact, the white one on the very right end is a 1984 MIJ Squier that my mother got me new for Christmas when I was 17. Still play it regularly. The black Strat next to it is a 1983 '57 Re-issue that a friend sold to me for $100 when he needed some quick money. It didn't have any electronics in it at the time. I keep changing the pickguard from black to white, but the Fat 50's p'ups are a constant. The blue guitar next to it is a mongrel I made from a 1991 MIA neck, a MIM body, and a set of EMG DG-20 electronics. Next to the blue Strat is a 1997 MIJ Ritchie Blackmore that I wish I still had. Same for the ash-bodied MIA Standard Tele and the 1972 Strat behind it. I miss those three pretty bad.

Of these, I still have those three Strats, two of the Charvels (including the Navy Aggressor), the Flying V, and this Schecter:

The Schecter is a YM-1, an Yngwie Malmsteen signature model, made just a year before Fender contracted him. It started out a hideous translucent butterscotch, with some cool Tom Anderson p'ups. Now it's 1960 Dodge truck blue, with some Fender Noiseless p'ups, and a Fender blue pearloid 'guard. The massive locking Schecter tailpiece was replaced by a Fender that is screwed down, and I had a local cabinetmaker fill in the hole left by the original monstrosity. I've changed pretty much everything about it since buying it new in '86, but it sounds and plays great. Still weighs a ton though, and could use some more sustain. At some point, I would like to replace the body with a lightweight ash or alder, and a hardtail bridge.

In 2005, I added a new Les Paul (my third):

...and this Highway One Tele (again, my third):

I know some guys mod the heck out of their Teles, and I had originally planned to use this one as a test bed. But all I've done is change the saddle to some compensating brass pieces. It's got the Greasebucket tone circuit, and it has this great snarl through my cranked Blues Jr. Still tempted to try a rosewood neck on it...
Old 02-15-2012, 11:41 PM   #313
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,108
I've never been happier with an electric guitar than I am with my Indonesia hardtail Squire Bullet stratocaster.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #314
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
I posted this on Facebook - a cool guitar story.

Back in 1995 I bought a brand new black Mexican-built Fender Jazz Bass that was my first real guitar. Soon after, I upgraded to a Fender American Standard Jazz Bass that I ordered from the factory, and I still have to this day, and relegated the black guitar to backup duty. At the same time our band was starting to play more, and we needed a PA to run vocals through for rehearsal. We didnít have much money, so our singer threw in $150 and I traded in the black Fender, and we bought the cheapest PA we could afford (which we also have to this day, and it still works). I always felt bad about trading in my first nice guitar. It played as well as anything Iíve ever played since.

This Saturday I was in Willieís American Guitars in St. Paul, window shopping mainly, because I canít afford most of their vintage gear, and I noticed a black Fender Jazz Bass on the wall. Looking closer, it was a 1995 model, built in Mexico, which is unusual for Willies, who mainly deals in high end or domestic stuff. I took down the serial number and went home to look through some old paperwork I had in a drawer.

Today I went back to Willies, and Iím now again the owner of the first real bass I ever owned, 17 years later.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:14 AM   #315
Censport
Vendor

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by discochris View Post
I posted this on Facebook - a cool guitar story.

Back in 1995 I bought a brand new black Mexican-built Fender Jazz Bass that was my first real guitar. Soon after, I upgraded to a Fender American Standard Jazz Bass that I ordered from the factory, and I still have to this day, and relegated the black guitar to backup duty. At the same time our band was starting to play more, and we needed a PA to run vocals through for rehearsal. We didnít have much money, so our singer threw in $150 and I traded in the black Fender, and we bought the cheapest PA we could afford (which we also have to this day, and it still works). I always felt bad about trading in my first nice guitar. It played as well as anything Iíve ever played since.

This Saturday I was in Willieís American Guitars in St. Paul, window shopping mainly, because I canít afford most of their vintage gear, and I noticed a black Fender Jazz Bass on the wall. Looking closer, it was a 1995 model, built in Mexico, which is unusual for Willies, who mainly deals in high end or domestic stuff. I took down the serial number and went home to look through some old paperwork I had in a drawer.

Today I went back to Willies, and Iím now again the owner of the first real bass I ever owned, 17 years later.
That's very cool!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: