Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 68 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 02:01 AM   #316
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by discochris View Post
Today I went back to Willies, and Iím now again the owner of the first real bass I ever owned, 17 years later.

Great story.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:54 AM   #317
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
I'll play.

The "double cut/twin pickup" 1961 Gibson Melody Maker on the far right was mine at age 12. I gave it to my oldest son when he turned 16. He brought it back to me when I was 50.

It's been in my family for 42 years.

The SG is a 79, the Telecaster is a 91, the J45 Rosewood is an 03, and the Gibson "Custom Shop" ES339 is the first year. 2007.

Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #318
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgretz View Post
I've been looking at Strats for a couple of years now, off and on, and have not found exactly the right combination of pickups, neck and frets to flip my switch. Take your time and play a lot of them. Eventually, you'll either find the Strat that is right for you or you'll stumble across a G&L, Crook, Class A or some other one that does it for you.

Personal opinion here You'll never get the crunchy SRV sound out of a Gretsch without a modeling amp and a bunch of pedals - the Gretsch (especially semi-hollows) are not designed for that tone. For one, the pickups and tone circuitry does not support that raw sound - it's really built for more of a jazz, swing, or Rock-A-Billy sound. The LP, OTOH can do it, but you'll have to search for the right combo of pedals and amp to get close

Again, personal opinion. The Rickenbacker 330 will work well for the blues. The inherent tone of the guitar is very compatible to what most folks think of as a blues guitar sound (whatever that is). But so much of a blues tone is in the hands of the player. B.B. King plays a jazz, swing guitar, John Lee Hooker whomps on an Epiphone Sheraton (mostly associated with jazz, swing, and rock) using open tunings, and Clapton on anything he picks up, SRV on the Strat, etc. Then there is probably the greatest electric blues band on the planet - Led Zeppelin - primarily a Les Paul on lead .

Find the guitar that feels good, and a tone you like and make it your own.

jdg

I agree with everything you say here...I love my Gretsch...and the sounds it makes...it just does not fit into this specific sound. I am just going to keep hunting for that magic strat...when the right one comes along I will know.
FPGT72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #319
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by discochris View Post
I posted this on Facebook - a cool guitar story.

Back in 1995 I bought a brand new black Mexican-built Fender Jazz Bass that was my first real guitar. Soon after, I upgraded to a Fender American Standard Jazz Bass that I ordered from the factory, and I still have to this day, and relegated the black guitar to backup duty. At the same time our band was starting to play more, and we needed a PA to run vocals through for rehearsal. We didnít have much money, so our singer threw in $150 and I traded in the black Fender, and we bought the cheapest PA we could afford (which we also have to this day, and it still works). I always felt bad about trading in my first nice guitar. It played as well as anything Iíve ever played since.

This Saturday I was in Willieís American Guitars in St. Paul, window shopping mainly, because I canít afford most of their vintage gear, and I noticed a black Fender Jazz Bass on the wall. Looking closer, it was a 1995 model, built in Mexico, which is unusual for Willies, who mainly deals in high end or domestic stuff. I took down the serial number and went home to look through some old paperwork I had in a drawer.

Today I went back to Willies, and Iím now again the owner of the first real bass I ever owned, 17 years later.

I love it when stuff turns out like this!

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #320
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
I love it when stuff turns out like this!
Awesome story !!!!!

thunderkat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #321
chopped58
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
awesome story !!!!!

+1

ADV Rider Relay 2008 New York
IBA# 27774

06 Uly
58 FL

Ride report: NY to Vegas
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513905
chopped58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:45 PM   #322
chopped58
Beastly Adventurer

Here's a couple of mine...

Epiphone Les Paul, Mahogany body, ebony fretboard, emg 81, 85 and 24 frets. Saving up for a Gibson LP Custom in black or Alpine white.

This one I bought new in 85, Ibanez pro line 1660. I believe it was only made for one year, Jackson sued Ibanez for copying the Randy Rhoads "Concorde" design.

IBA# 27774

06 Uly
58 FL

Old 02-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #323
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopped58 View Post

Epiphone Les Paul, Mahogany body, ebony fretboard, emg 81, 85 and 24 frets. Saving up for a Gibson LP Custom in black or Alpine white.
That's a pretty metal guitar.

Stand out, get white next.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #324
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,320
Quote:

This one I bought new in 85, Ibanez pro line 1660. I believe it was only made for one year, Jackson sued Ibanez for copying the Randy Rhoads "Concorde" design.

I had a Jackson,Rhandy Rhoads"Concorde",kick ass V!

I guess i'm getting old,i don't like them that slick and quick and more.The old lady bought me a PRS years ago,and i've been happy ever since.

See we got another hobby in common old pal.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #325
chopped58
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
That's a pretty metal guitar.

Stand out, get white next.

I could have bought this particular model in any color I wanted, as long as it was black.

IBA# 27774

06 Uly
58 FL

Old 02-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #326
chopped58
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
I had a Jackson,Rhandy Rhoads"Concorde",kick ass V!

I guess i'm getting old,i don't like them that slick and quick and more.The old lady bought me a PRS years ago,and i've been happy ever since.

See we got another hobby in common old pal.
A PRS nice! Post some pics! The v is a pain in the ass to play without a strap, I lean towards the LP, or strat type bodies now.

Some others on the "want" list, Gibson LP Custom, Fender American Deluxe strat, and a hollowbody....(the Gretsch thread has me salivating ) Guitars are as bad as bikes, hard to own just one.

IBA# 27774

06 Uly
58 FL

Old 02-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #327
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,320
Quote:
A PRS nice! Post some pics! The v is a pain in the ass to play without a strap, I lean towards the LP, or strat type bodies now.

Some others on the "want" list, Gibson LP Custom, Fender American Deluxe strat, and a hollowbody....(the Gretsch thread has me salivating ) Guitars are as bad as bikes, hard to own just one.

Evertime i pick up a flying V i want to play Hanger 18.

Then scream in out of shape cramped finger pain.

I got a good friend and fellow inmate,TommyV,you met Tommy,Triumph Rocket III,,who is as bad with guitars as i am with bikes.
He prefer's customs,but picks up alot of top notch axes in the act of trade,etc.
And he picked up a cherry Kramer Focus,1986.I'll post pic's,it makes you feel like Eddy VanHalen.

You let me know,if you get tired of that V.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #328
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:

I had 2 V's, an ' 83 Ibanez Rocket Roll II and some crazy Epiphone metal death shredder instrument 'o torture.
I would put my right leg in between the "wings"(?) and clamp it with my left leg. Great for practicing
stuff above the 12th fret
I think I'd look a little goofy playing one now, though
thunderkat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #329
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,754
So I've played musical instruments of some kind for the last 15 years or so, had my share of guitars, and my wife just bought me a Taylor GS Mini for Valentine's Day. Best guitar I've ever played, period, and sounds just like some of the bigger ones I've played since I played them back to back.

When I went to GC the other day I figured I'd play some not-so-known brands, like Seagull and Breedlove. You all seem to say that brand name doesn't mean much.

Picked up a $240 Seagull and was blown away. Compared to any sub $300 guitar in the store there was no comparison. Right, put that down before I buy it too. Picked up a Breedlove and didn't like it as much but hands down a close second and better than the two Fenders I'd had of that price range.

My sister-in-law wants some pink guitar thing for her birthday, around $200. I'm now doing my best to convince her to buy that Seagull or Breedlove. They are so easy to play and sound so good.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #330
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post

When I went to GC the other day I figured I'd play some not-so-known brands, like Seagull and Breedlove. You all seem to say that brand name doesn't mean much.

Picked up a $240 Seagull and was blown away. Compared to any sub $300 guitar in the store there was no comparison. Right, put that down before I buy it too. Picked up a Breedlove and didn't like it as much but hands down a close second and better than the two Fenders I'd had of that price range.

My sister-in-law wants some pink guitar thing for her birthday, around $200. I'm now doing my best to convince her to buy that Seagull or Breedlove. They are so easy to play and sound so good.
Seagull and Breedlove make some very nice and very affordable guitars. I've been impressed with Seagull since Robert Godin started the company back in the 80s (Godin should sound familiar as that's another of his brands as well). He has done some interesting things with acoustic-electrics and adding a Midi interface. For the money, they are hard to beat.

The sort of slash headstock and styling of some of the more expensive Breedlove guitars leaves me flat (although I think it works well in the Mandolins) - but I like the sound and the inlay work is excellent. The American series OM with an almost Martin headstock is more to my liking. Kim does great work and I'd be happy with any of his instruments (even the weird looking CM Classic). If Angela Christensen ever strikes out on her own, I'll be standing in line for one of her instruments.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T

jdgretz screwed with this post 02-20-2012 at 09:03 PM
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: