User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 81 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 07:00 AM   #31
Sugar Pig
almost certain...

Oddometer: 582
How about a little lesson advice. My wife is finishing her Masters in a couple months and said she wanted a guitar. I bought her a Yamaha APX500 with a hardcase. I was thinking about buying her some kind of DVD lessons.

Any suggestions . I though she might use DVD lessons more than a local teacher. Probably will use a local teacher too.

I DID buy the guitar from my local store. They have the same prices as the internet without even prodding. I happily ate the sales tax to support a local store.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #32
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72
I am doing the same thing, mid 40's...what is it with guys in their 40's....I went out and bought a POS electric and little amp am playing with it. Got one of those learn the guitar dvd's from half price books and am doing some of the youtube stuff. I don't much like the sound of the guitar I bought, but it was cheap and I figure if I stick with it a month I will get something I like the way it sounds...I want a Gretsch, can't justify a 6120 but the 5120 sounds close enough for this guy.

I too am thinking about talking to a teacher, hit my knuckle on my left hand with a grinder and lost part of the bone and that finger does not work quite right, also have some nerve damage in the left arm that bothers me a bit. Need to talk to someone with experence about different ways to put my left hand...it just will not move in the way the DVD says to.
1. It can take time to learn how to extract good tone from even tried and true classic set ups. That is not saying your cheapie guitar doesn't sound bad. But with some fiddling it may be able to sound better.

famous anonymous guitar quote: " I can make any guitar sound bad. "

2. There are definitely lot's of alternative ways to play. Whether though a paid instructor or through a bud who plays, it is always nice to have someone show you some of the "cheater" techniques.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #33
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,186
It is not that it sounds bad, it just does not sound like I want it to sound, I like that chet atkins, brian setzer, early rock and roll type sound. And to this VERY un-trained guy that is a hollow body type guitar....they just have the sound that I like.

What I have seems to stay in tune...at least it sounds like the one on the video and the little eletronic tuner thingy says it it ok....I just want it to make a different kind of sound.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:16 AM   #34
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,398
If you (or your wife) are just starting out invest in a few lessons from a teacher. DVDs are convienent but they can't point out basic mistakes you may be making. Having a scheduled lesson will also probably make you practice a little more and practice will make you a better player but only if you try and do things over your head. Dont turn on any distortion devices while you practice. They easily hide many mistakes and mask sloppy playing. Most of all have fun!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #35
Anglewood
Has a fake Mustache

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72
It is not that it sounds bad, it just does not sound like I want it to sound, I like that chet atkins, brian setzer, early rock and roll type sound. And to this VERY un-trained guy that is a hollow body type guitar....they just have the sound that I like.

What I have seems to stay in tune...at least it sounds like the one on the video and the little eletronic tuner thingy says it it ok....I just want it to make a different kind of sound.
The quest for "the" tone can be endless. The proper rig will only get you so far. Tone is in the fingers, if you give Setzer any guitar he will sound like himself. Work on technique and phrasing and you will eventually find the sounds you hear in your head. It can definitely be frustrating but keep at it and good luck with your new hobby.

Lates,

Connor
Anglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #36
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglewood
The quest for "the" tone can be endless. The proper rig will only get you so far. Tone is in the fingers, if you give Setzer any guitar he will sound like himself. Work on technique and phrasing and you will eventually find the sounds you hear in your head. It can definitely be frustrating but keep at it and good luck with your new hobby.

Lates,

Connor
Spot on....I sound like me if I play my Rickenbacker or a Jackson Dinky, tone is for the most part between your ears.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:22 PM   #37
Daniii
geezer

Oddometer: 22,787
When you get frustrated about your inability to make your fingers do what the DVD says, just watch a little of "Roadhouse" and the Jeff Healey's technique there....

Old 02-04-2010, 01:49 PM   #38
Sugar Pig
almost certain...

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamala
If you (or your wife) are just starting out invest in a few lessons from a teacher. DVDs are convienent but they can't point out basic mistakes you may be making. Having a scheduled lesson will also probably make you practice a little more and practice will make you a better player but only if you try and do things over your head. Dont turn on any distortion devices while you practice. They easily hide many mistakes and mask sloppy playing. Most of all have fun!

Good point about the basic mistakes. Hadn't though of that.

Its an electric acoustic, I don't think distortion will be a problem.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #39
easyridin5150
To young to feel this old

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpieGoose
7 rules that work

Rule 1
Buy a good guitar and have it setup properly
with a quality active pickup fitted..
(a good guitar set up is a pleasure to play
and cheaper in the long run)

Rule 2
Buy a guitar tuner ...always play/ practise in tune
( need to train your ear to play in tune)

Rule 3
Buy a good guitar stand and place your guitar
on the stand beside your favourite seat in the house....
(you will then just pick it up and practise with
out even thinking about it .)

Rule 4
Get a good teacher that will inspire you and
play what you like whilst giving you a good grounding in theory.
(If you have an iPone or equivalent. video bits of your teacher
playing to refer to during parctise)

Rule 5
Find people to play with .... it's great FUN!

Rule 6
Alway endeavour to play with people better than you.
(you will learn a lot more and better players
leave "space" to play with)

Rule 7 most important..... HAVE FUN!
Ok, I've been playing for about two years now and have followed must of the above mention rules. As for rule seven, when can I find people of my skill level and age to play with? I am 56 y/o and enjoy the Beatles, Crosby Stills and Nash, Eagles ect, mostly music for the sixties and seventies. I still can't find someone with my level of experience and preferences in music. Where is the best place to look for such a person? I would love to sit down with someone close to my level of playing that would love to work on some songs together, switching off between playing lead and rhythm.

I have two electrics, but my favorite is my Taylor 714CE Acoustic.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:50 AM   #40
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

I have a lesson question at the end of this.

There is sure a difference between a cheapie and a good guitar, just like anything you do get what you pay for. I went to a little shop this weekend to talk to them about my guitar. I could only play/practice for about 30 min and my fingers would be so sore I could not stand it any longer. So I just said screw it and bought a Gretsch 5120. After sitting at the shop for 5min and doing the few cords that I know it was so different, so much less effort to push down on the strings it was not even funny. And the strings feel different also, less sharp not tone but in feel to the finger then the first guitar I have.

I only paid $150 for the first guitar 2yrs ago and it came with a little amp for that, I figured if I play it I would upgrade if not only 150 out of pocket. After trying to play it for the last two weeks I know why I quit two years ago...it was not un confortable...it was PAINFULL.

Now I can practice till my fingers just get stupid, they stop going where I want them to go, I can put it down go do something else then go back to it. So far I am loving it.

Now for the lesson question:

I am very new at this I can do the major cords with a little effort, I have to look at the book to refresh my memory then I am ok. I practice scales and my fingers are starting to move in the way I want them to move. I met a guy at the guitar store that I like, we seem to get along as people. Do you think I should wait till I get a little better foundation before starting on lessons or do you think I should start now.

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:57 AM   #41
Daniii
geezer

Oddometer: 22,787
I started playing guitar many years ago. I had no lessons. I did teach for a bit in college. Turns out that the best instructor is yourself. That and watching others play (lots on youtube). Frankly, if you can't figure it out for yourself, you should take up another hobby.

But that's just my opinion.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:55 AM   #42
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniii
I started playing guitar many years ago. I had no lessons. I did teach for a bit in college. Turns out that the best instructor is yourself. That and watching others play (lots on youtube). Frankly, if you can't figure it out for yourself, you should take up another hobby.

But that's just my opinion.
So far I can figure it out, the people that do the demos on youtube I can copy...it takes me a few tries to get it down, but I can do it. The thing is I wonder if I am missing out on anything, am I doing something wrong that is making it more difficult. Sometimes you are better off in going to someone that knows what they are doing....it will save you time in the long run.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:20 AM   #43
RudyBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya
Stick with your starter electric for a while. It will be much easier to learn on.
If that were true, why do they start 5-year-olds on acoustics?

Old 02-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #44
chopped58
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
If you're just starting out, there's a few things I would recommend that may get ya started having fun..

First get a tuner, they're pretty cheap, and will help if you don't have the ear for it yet.

Learn the Bar (barre) chord. It's a bit tricky in the beggining, but you can move it up and down the neck with the same fingering. You can lift one finger and make it a minor chord (sad sounding). If you master this fingering, you could probably play 99% of heavy/hard rock song rhythms if thats what you're into. One fingering uses all 6 strings. Another uses 5 without low E the thickest string.

Learn the pentatonic scale. Many guitar solo's use this scale, and this too moves up and down the neck. (same fingering).

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but these were things that I learned early on, that made playing fun. If you have fun, you will play more.

ADV Rider Relay 2008 New York
IBA# 27774

06 Uly
58 FL

Ride report: NY to Vegas
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513905
chopped58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:28 AM   #45
RudyBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyBoy
If that were true, why do they start 5-year-olds on acoustics?

To answer my own question, the perception that electrics are easier to play is because many of the acoustics we encounter are poorly set up: the string action is almost certainly too high and it hurts your fingers. As a pro luthier who sets up guitars all day, I see many brand-new Martins and Taylors, etc. (i.e., fairly expen$ive guitars) that need adjusting. Properly set up, most acoustics are great to learn on. Indeed the two biggest children's guitar programs, Suzuki and Childbloom, use acoustics, quite often nylon string classicals, but some teachers use steel string. Also, you don't need to tote an amp around. Lastly, if you have large hands, the string spacing on acoustics is generally wider than strat-style electrics, making it easier to play with those fat fingers!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: