Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 103 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #541
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
That thing looks like shit. He'd have to pay me to take it.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #542
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,145
Old 04-22-2012, 03:04 AM   #543
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,678
Quote:

Damn that thing is pretty.

Too pretty for me I'd just tear it to hell and back
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #544
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 6,127
That's a nice one. Don't see those with flame tops too much anymore.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #545
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Damn that thing is pretty.

Too pretty for me I'd just tear it to hell and back
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Commander View Post
That's a nice one. Don't see those with flame tops too much anymore.
Thanks!

I bought it at the GC near here. I wasn't expecting to buy anything since the website said they didn't have any at that location. I hadn't been in there for close to 10 years. I was wandering around looking at their walls and saw only a few lower end Gibsons. Wandered into the Platinum room and found them. I should mention, no one else was in the Platinum room but the store was otherwise pretty full. They had a R9, Trad Plus and a 2008 Standard. I had to ask about the 2012 Standard, as it turns out they are calling it a Standard Premium Plus. I wanted to check out the '08 since it was chambered and boy was it light. The Premium falls between the Trad and the '08 as far as weight is concerned. I really like the neck profile. It's even easier to play then my BJA Junior. No fret buzz at all. The one on the wall as a Trans Yellow which was really nice but I was looking for HCSB. The sales guy said they have one more Premium in the back but he wasn't sure what it was. After a few minutes he comes back with a minty fresh from the box HCSB. We both look at it and it looked stunning. I think it was their first HCSB. Gibson's doing something different then with the older Standards to make the flames really pop. On this one, I noticed the bottom maple stays flaming while the top fades in and out with the angle which is really cool. Inside the case is a pick guard, extra strings, a pick, keychain, sticker and an allen wrench for the bridge locks.

Here are a few more pictures not from my phone.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #546
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,697
holy hell, that is beautiful.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #547
chopped58
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
+1, that thing's a beauty! Lot's of luck with it!

ADV Rider Relay 2008 New York
IBA# 27774

06 Uly
58 FL

Ride report: NY to Vegas
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513905
chopped58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #548
Jeffy
Hmm...

Thanks!

From the looks of it, there aren't that many in circulation. Mine was built on March 11's and signed off 20 days. So, it was probably only in the store a week or two. I really love the flame top. I wasn't sure if I was going to like the new top going into the store but once I saw it, I was sold. Even the back looks nice. I did notice the guitar smells like play-doh. My other Junior smells more like vanilla.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #549
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Thanks!

From the looks of it, there aren't that many in circulation. Mine was built on March 11's and signed off 20 days. So, it was probably only in the store a week or two. I really love the flame top. I wasn't sure if I was going to like the new top going into the store but once I saw it, I was sold. Even the back looks nice. I did notice the guitar smells like play-doh. My other Junior smells more like vanilla.

Wow ! Nice !
Im not jealous either, dammit #@$%%%^

I think the playdoh smell is the final buffing compound(?)

I have one coming tomorrow I'll post up, but it's no LP, for sure

thunderkat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #550
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post

Wow ! Nice !
Im not jealous either, dammit #@$%%%^

I think the playdoh smell is the final buffing compound(?)

I have one coming tomorrow I'll post up, but it's no LP, for sure

I'm sure they use carnauba to polish them up. I believe the laquer vents off gas over time. I keep my guitars in their cases so they take longer to vent. Smells good though. My Billie Joe Armstrong Junior smells more like Vanilla so they smell very different.

I sort of splurged a little. I think I mentioned here I was going to get a Pelham Blue Special. Then Gibson started to release info on a bunch of other ner guitars. The Classic Plus was really interesting as well. I was pretty set on getting that till I read more into the pups. I'm not into metal so having really bright pups was a bit of a concern. So I moved to the Traditional Plus with the 57's. It's a great guitar BUT then the 2012 Standard popped up. Lots of really nice features and fixes. I wasn't too hot on the 2008 Standard as it was really light. I didn't care for the locking jack either. Also the new Standard was $100 cheaper. The only downside if there really is any is the two-ply rosewood fretboard which really isn't an issue at all.

From all the talk on forums like mylespaul, the new Standard is a huge hit with everyone who's played one. Problem is they aren't out in huge numbers which makes it all the rarer. At least for a little while.

The guitar plays great. I've just just got to learn to play better. The asymmetrical neck is really nice. It's like a cross between a 50's and a 60's neck but in different places. I also need to play with all the controls to see what sound I really like. Right now, it has too many controls! I'm used to my Junior with a single Vol and Tone. Now I've got two with a phasing and a bypass. Not to mention the three-way pup switch. It's a learning experience for sure.

I also haven't played with my Blackstar HT-5 much. I'm finding the suggested OD gain is too much. Makes everything really muddy so I have to back it down a bit so I can control it at the guitar. Gotta figure out what this guitar likes.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #551
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 6,127
It's not the buffing compound, it's the NITRO finish that smells like vanilla.

The "USA" models have a poly finish, which makes them smell like plastic for a while.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:05 AM   #552
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Commander View Post
It's not the buffing compound, it's the NITRO finish that smells like vanilla.

The "USA" models have a poly finish, which makes them smell like plastic for a while.
Both of my Gibson's have the nitrocellulose finish. Only Epiphones use polyurethane.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #553
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Bump.

Anyone get anything new? New pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
I think I've caught a bad case of GAS.

The guitar I don't quite own yet; '93 Gibson J-100 "jumbo". Wasn't really looking for a "Jumbo", until I played it.

I actually made it official and bought this one; I fell in love. It still amazes me how nicely it plays, and it even makes this n00b sound good sometimes. Today was a cool, windy day, so I spent it inside playing pretty much all day. love it.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #554
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Bump.

Anyone get anything new? New pics?

I actually made it official and bought this one; I fell in love. It still amazes me how nicely it plays, and it even makes this n00b sound good sometimes. Today was a cool, windy day, so I spent it inside playing pretty much all day. love it.
I could post some more pics of my LP but then I'm sure I'll end up owing someone a new keyboard.

On another note, I've been thinking of maybe modifying my Blackstar HT-5 amp. It has a ECCC83 and a 12BH7. The speaker is a Celestion G10-40. I've been hearing mixed signals on weither it would be good to swap tubes. Maybe a 12AX7, 5751 or 12AY7. The other option is to swap the Celestion G10-40 to a Celestion G10 Greenback. I've heard of some people installing a 12" but there isn't a whole lot of room and depending on the magnet size. The Greenback is the same size as the G10-40 so no additional work. I'm looking for a bit more vintage blues/rock sound. Anyone have experience with re-tubing amps?

I want to eventually make a Marshall 18w kit; http://tubedepot.com/kit-british18wcombo.html but I've got to refill the funds a bit.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #555
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

I'm thinking of doing some customizing of my Epiphone G400, too. It's a '91, made in Korea, but it plays nicely and seems like the guitar is decent; nice sustain, nice feel. The main problem is the tuners are junk; I'll probably go with a set of Grover tuners. Also the pickups seem a bit weak or just dull. Not sure if it's really worth it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: