Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #556
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
I'm thinking of doing some customizing of my Epiphone G400, too. It's a '91, made in Korea, but it plays nicely and seems like the guitar is decent; nice sustain, nice feel. The main problem is the tuners are junk; I'll probably go with a set of Grover tuners. Also the pickups seem a bit weak or just dull. Not sure if it's really worth it.
Everyone seems to mod their LP and G-400 Epi's. I have Klusons on my Jr and locking Grovers on the Standard. I really like the Grovers but the Kluson's aren't bad at all.

What are you thinking about on the pickup's? Classic 57's or something more fancy? Something more modern?
Old 05-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #557
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Everyone seems to mod their LP and G-400 Epi's. I have Klusons on my Jr and locking Grovers on the Standard. I really like the Grovers but the Kluson's aren't bad at all.

What are you thinking about on the pickup's? Classic 57's or something more fancy? Something more modern?
Really no idea. I'm a n00b, especially with the electric guitar. It just seems a little dull. Recommendations?

The tuners are the biggest issue, though. I think they are slipping. Grovers aren't too much $; I'll probably order a set.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #558
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Really no idea. I'm a n00b, especially with the electric guitar. It just seems a little dull. Recommendations?

The tuners are the biggest issue, though. I think they are slipping. Grovers aren't too much $; I'll probably order a set.
Well most tuning issues are because of the nut. Does it catch on the nut when tuning G? You can usually tell by the *plink* and then it quickly goes out of toon soon after. New tuners aren't that expensive but you might have to drill new holes.

I don't know that much about the different types of pickups. You were looking at the Jeff Tweedy SG before weren't you? That has two Burstbucker 1's in it. The SG Standard has 490R and 498T's. These are supposed to be a lot brighter and more modern. I know speed metal guy's like the 500T which is one of the reasons why I didn't get a Special. The Classic '57's are supposed to replicate the vintage sound from the 60's and 70's which use the PAF's.

You might also look at Seymour Duncan. Supposedly, they own the machines that Gibson used to make the original PAF's. SH-1's are supposed to be like the PAF's. Then there are the Pearly Gate's which are what Billy Gibbon's uses. A bit more modern sounding, like the Burstbuckers.

If you're changing pups then you'll probably want to replace the pots and switches as well. Three-way Switchcraft, 300k Linear Volume and 500k Non-linear Tone.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #559
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Quote:
Well most tuning issues are because of the nut. Does it catch on the nut when tuning G? You can usually tell by the *plink* and then it quickly goes out of toon soon after. New tuners aren't that expensive but you might have to drill new holes.

I don't know that much about the different types of pickups. You were looking at the Jeff Tweedy SG before weren't you? That has two Burstbucker 1's in it. The SG Standard has 490R and 498T's. These are supposed to be a lot brighter and more modern. I know speed metal guy's like the 500T which is one of the reasons why I didn't get a Special. The Classic '57's are supposed to replicate the vintage sound from the 60's and 70's which use the PAF's.

You might also look at Seymour Duncan. Supposedly, they own the machines that Gibson used to make the original PAF's. SH-1's are supposed to be like the PAF's. Then there are the Pearly Gate's which are what Billy Gibbon's uses. A bit more modern sounding, like the Burstbuckers.

If you're changing pups then you'll probably want to replace the pots and switches as well. Three-way Switchcraft, 300k Linear Volume and 500k Non-linear Tone.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I'm hot for the Tweedy SG, and if I sell a set of drums, I may lay down the cash. Right now, I'm wondering if they are ever going to actually make the thing; I'm on the call list with Sweetwater, but they keep bumping the date back. Might be a good thing, though; maybe I'll scrape the cash together if it's later in the year...

Barring that, I'm trying to decide if it's worth upgrading this guitar with new pots, pickups and everything else; I keep hearing that the newer Epi SG's use better everything, so maybe it would be better to just by a new one rather than upgrade. I need to check them out next time I get to a city with a Guitar Center or someplace...

Hayduke screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 10:19 AM
Old 05-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #560
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Yeah, I'm hot for the Tweedy SG, and if I sell a set of drums, I may lay down the cash. Right now, I'm wondering if they are ever going to actually make the thing; I'm on the call list with Sweetwater, but they keep bumping the date back. Might be a good thing, though; maybe I'll scrape the cash together if it's later in the year...

Barring that, I'm trying to decide if it's worth upgrading this guitar with new pots, pickups and everything else; I keep hearing that the newer Epi SG's use better everything, so maybe it would be better to just by a new one rather than upgrade. I need to check them out next time I get to a city with a Guitar Center or someplace...
Well, if you're going to buy the Tweedy, I'd probably leave the G-400 alone unless you want to tinker with it. So if you like your Epi then consider modding it. If you bought a new Epi, you'll probably still want to swap out the parts and make it more Gibson-like anyway.* It would be cheaper to mod your Epi them to buy a new one and I suspect it would sound better as well.

From what I understand Gibson makes guitars in batches. With the launch of the new Standard and the Studio as well as many others, I think they're going to be rushing a bit to meet the initial demand. The HCSB that I have, seems to be in real limited numbers with more expected later next month. I suspect that the Signatures will follow soon after since there is a lot more demand for the Standard and Studio's. Sweetwater says 5/27 so not a long wait.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #561
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

I found some Grover tuners (new take-offs) for $25, so I'll just do that for the time being. I'm still lusting for the Tweedy SG, so yeah, I should probably hold off; if I can scrape the cash together, I'd probably go that route.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #562
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
I found some Grover tuners (new take-offs) for $25, so I'll just do that for the time being. I'm still lusting for the Tweedy SG, so yeah, I should probably hold off; if I can scrape the cash together, I'd probably go that route.
It would probably sound pretty sweet with some SD Pearly Gates but that's about $200 for both pups. Or you could do SH-1's which are like the old PAF's for $130. Should give it a more blues/rock sound.

I looked a lot into mods when I was thinking about getting a more stripped LP or even an Epi LP. I ended up just saving and getting the Standard where I wouldn't have to touch anything.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #563
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,393
I'm still waiting on my 50th Anniversary Jeff Tweedy SG from Sweetwater, but I'm going to tour the Collings Guitar factory in Austin on my birthday weekend at the end of the month, and I've been lusting after a Collings City Limits (their LP). It would be the most expensive guitar I've ever bought (around $4500), but less than most of the Gibson Custom Shop LP's and made better than any of those I've ever seen. If I pop for the City Limits I'll probably sell my recently acquired goldtop 60's Reissue Les Paul Studio, and probably pass on the SG. The Collings 290 I just got is just unbelievable, and I'd love to have the City Limits too.

Quote:
Bump.

Anyone get anything new? New pics?

I actually made it official and bought this one; I fell in love. It still amazes me how nicely it plays, and it even makes this n00b sound good sometimes. Today was a cool, windy day, so I spent it inside playing pretty much all day. love it.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

Josephvman screwed with this post 05-08-2012 at 07:19 AM
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #564
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 96,445
Quit talking about new guitars. We don't need any more new guitars around here.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #565
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Bump.

Anyone get anything new? New pics?
After a few misfires trying to buy a suitable Gibson, I needed something with short scale,
scorching humbuckers. This is what I got. I think Squier is by far and away the best
bang for buck going right now. Not buttery sex smooth like a Gibson, but real thin
70's style tele profile neck and for a fifth of the price. Not bad.

thunderkat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #566
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Quit talking about new guitars. We don't need any more new guitars around here.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #567
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
I'm still waiting on my 50th Anniversary Jeff Tweedy SG from Sweetwater, but I'm going to tour the Collings Guitar factory in Austin on my birthday weekend at the end of the month, and I've been lusting after a Collings City Limits (their LP). It would be the most expensive guitar I've ever bought (around $4500), but less than most of the Gibson Custom Shop LP's and made better than any of those I've ever seen. If I pop for the City Limits I'll probably sell my recently acquired goldtop 60's Reissue Les Paul Studio, and probably pass on the SG. The Collings 290 I just got is just unbelievable, and I'd love to have the City Limits too.
The Reissue Custom Shops are really nice though. The Reissue VOS 1958 and the Guitar Center Exclusive VOS 1960 are really nice and a lot less then many of the other Reissues and Signature series. I saw the Guitar Center 1960 for $3599 and it was really nice. I like the aged hardware and hand-rubbed finish. They had a used one for $2300-ish as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
After a few misfires trying to buy a suitable Gibson, I needed something with short scale,
scorching humbuckers. This is what I got. I think Squier is by far and away the best
bang for buck going right now. Not buttery sex smooth like a Gibson, but real thin
70's style tele profile neck and for a fifth of the price. Not bad.
I've heard good thing about the Squier Tele Classic Vibe Custom. Wish it came in other colors though. I'm not really a Fender guy but the Tele is a nice guitar. $399 is a really good price too.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #568
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:

I've heard good thing about the Squier Tele Classic Vibe Custom. Wish it came in other colors though. I'm not really a Fender guy but the Tele is a nice guitar. $399 is a really good price too.
I have a Tele Classic Vibe with P90's. Another very nice guitar.

For my Gibson, Im going to just hold out til I can get the Les Paul I really want.
Not going to waste time on anything else, again. After the excitement of pulling
my own, brand new Gibson out of the box faded, the budget SG I just bought was
an inexcusably poorly finished guitar. Not going through that again.
Gibsons new business model is not one I approve of at all, but thats for another thread . . .
thunderkat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:48 PM   #569
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,084
Shameless Plug

I've got a decent intermediate guitar up for grabs to fund my RDV trip: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789183

Holler at me if you're interested.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:27 PM   #570
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
I just bought this:

and am waiting for delivery. Never had a Ric before.
Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: