Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 104 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #601
HamboneSlim
ಠ_ಠ

Oddometer: 4,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Anyone know anything about Alvarez Guitars? ...

I bought a new Alvarez Yairi Lexington Drednaught in the early 80's. Played the piss out of it, restored it and sold it on eBay a few years back. New owner loved it and remarked that he couldn't be;ieve anyone would let such a nice guitar go. So I'd say my experience with the guitar was 100% positive.

Older Alvarez guitars are Martin copies, usually with laminated backs and sides, and solid spruce tops. They were very well made.

As with any older guitar, you would want to look for fretboard and fret wear, serious impact damage around the neck/body joint and around the headstock scarf joint, as well as damage from the long result of string tension; neck warped or twisted, top bowed, bridge lifted, braces loose.
Their motto is, "Don't tread on me."
HamboneSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #602
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneSlim View Post
I bought a new Alvarez Yairi Lexington Drednaught in the early 80's. Played the piss out of it, restored it and sold it on eBay a few years back. New owner loved it and remarked that he couldn't be;ieve anyone would let such a nice guitar go. So I'd say my experience with the guitar was 100% positive.

Older Alvarez guitars are Martin copies, usually with laminated backs and sides, and solid spruce tops. They were very well made.

As with any older guitar, you would want to look for fretboard and fret wear, serious impact damage around the neck/body joint and around the headstock scarf joint, as well as damage from the long result of string tension; neck warped or twisted, top bowed, bridge lifted, braces loose.
Thanks; if it's still there in a few weeks I'll look closer.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #603
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,149
Quote:
Anyone know anything about Alvarez Guitars? I browsed through a shop yesterday and an old Alverez dreadnought style flat top caught my eye; model 5053. All I could find using google was it was "1970's". Really sweet sounding guitar. I know they weren't high end, but I did like the sound and feel. A little beat up; might make a good traveler.
I think you checked all the boxes that matter. Only thing in question is the price.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #604
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
I think you checked all the boxes that matter. Only thing in question is the price.
$250 with a nice case. Fair, I thought. I hope he sells it before I have to buy it.

I got bad GAS.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #605
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,445
A couple of weeks ago my brother came down from STL and we headed over to Austin, and got a tour of the Collings guitar factory there. Earlier in this thread you can see a pic of my new Collings 290, which is the Collings interpretation of a Les Paul Jr., with Lollar P90's and some unique body contouring, a really gorgeous instrument and a lot of fun to play! This guitar has subleties and tones that I have just never heard from a solidbody electric guitar, anywhere on the neck. I have a friend with a custom shop Les Paul that literally couldn't believe how great this instrument is, and it cost less than he paid for his LP.

Bill Collings has basically taken tried and true classic designs, and is making them by hand using the same sort of techniques that made things like pre-war Martins sound the way they do. He is building truly heirloom quality instruments that will be the future classics, much in the way the old Martins are today.

Here are some pics I took on the tour. Everyone at the factory was just fantastic, and made you feel like family. We had access to pretty much everything, and our guide was very frank and forthcoming when asked about virtually any aspect of their business, including the concerns about sourcing various woods that are becoming difficult to get.

Bill Collings is an engineer, and she characterized him as something of a nutty professor, who is constantly thinking outside of the box and walks through the factory constantly coming up with new ideas and ways to do things. He has actually invented a number of the machines they use in production. Virtually everything on their instruments aside from strings, tuners, and pickups and tailpieces on their electric instruments, is made in-house. This includes even the knobs on the electrics and on the tuners. There are a few CNC machines, but they're used only for machining knobs and cutting the basic bodies and routing them on the electrics. They look a little out of place, since virtually everything else you see in the factory is what you would expect to see a century ago.

They make acoustic guitars, electric guitars (their newest line) ukelelee's, and mandolins. They only make around 3,000 instruments a year in total, and most of them are custom-ordered for clients. One luthier is responsible for "voicing"; matching every piece of wood for tone, weight, and grain, for each acoustic guitar they make, and he has been with Collings since the early 80's. The total number of employees is around 80, but based on what I saw it seems that there are only few individuals involved in the build of each instrument category before they go into the finishing stage, so probabaly less than a dozen actual people doing the basic building altogether.

There were very few finished instruments to be seen, in fact I think I only saw 2-3 of any kind that appeared to be completed. There was a professional musician in the finishing area who was giving a new guitar a serious workout that we all enjoyed hearing! They say their demand is so great that their guitars ship virtually immediately upon completion.

The thing that my brother and I came away from most is that we never saw any sort of compromise in any stage of the process, and they truly care about each and every instrument as if it were the only one they were making. Collings guitars will also look like an incredible bargain when you see what actually goes into making one.

'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

Josephvman screwed with this post 06-08-2012 at 08:22 AM
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #606
chopped58
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Great pics, thanks for posting!

ADV Rider Relay 2008 New York
IBA# 27774

06 Uly
58 FL

Ride report: NY to Vegas
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513905
chopped58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #607
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,445
This followed me home tonight!

'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #608
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
This followed me home tonight!

Green with envy.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #609
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,149
Quote:
Green with envy.

You gonna order one?
Old 06-13-2012, 02:16 AM   #610
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,748
Never ignore the value of a diminished chord.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:28 AM   #611
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Never ignore the value of a diminished chord.
Is that you I saw while browsing the Seymour Duncan forums?
Old 06-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #612
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,450
Interesting read:

At the crossroads of the vintage guitar market
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:54 PM   #613
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
My boy-child is graduating from high school this year. He has done very well, and as a grad gift, I'm thinking a new axe. He's been lusting over a candy apple red Fender Mustang. New, there's the standard version, a "Pawn Shop" version and a Kurt Kobain version. I assume anything "vintage" will be out of my price range, the new ones are at $800 to $1000 which is about where I want to be.

Any advise? Anyone have one to sell?

Cheers!
Old 06-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #614
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Moen View Post
My boy-child is graduating from high school this year. He has done very well, and as a grad gift, I'm thinking a new axe. He's been lusting over a candy apple red Fender Mustang. New, there's the standard version, a "Pawn Shop" version and a Kurt Kobain version. I assume anything "vintage" will be out of my price range, the new ones are at $800 to $1000 which is about where I want to be.

Any advise? Anyone have one to sell?

Cheers!
Go here and you can enter your zip code, key words and a search radius. They have a 30-day no-questions-asked return policy.

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedGear/index.cfm
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:19 AM   #615
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Thank you Blake!

Blakebird dropped by my house last night on his brand new Guzzi Stelvio () and left me a gift...

A Martin Backpacker guitar. Neat little instrument. I'm surprised by how much sound it projects. Sounds kind of like a banjo. This is going to be fun for camping or just messing around with a different sound.

Thanks Blake!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: