Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 81 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #631
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Cool, I'm going to get that.
I like it; super easy to read and easy to use. The guitar sounds better after tuning with this, rather than my old one, or by ear.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #632
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,316
I can get the strings tuned to each other near-perfectly by listening to harmonics, but my sense of pitch is too poor for me to tune to another instrument. Those fancy Sonic Research tuners are awful nice-looking, too. Almost irresistible for a gadget boy like me.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #633
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,913
Quote:
I can get the strings tuned to each other near-perfectly by listening to harmonics, but my sense of pitch is too poor for me to tune to another instrument. Those fancy Sonic Research tuners are awful nice-looking, too. Almost irresistible for a gadget boy like me.
Two tuners is sometimes better then one. Strobe tuners are really nice. I have the stomp box.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #634
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,498
I figured everyone used a TU-2.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #635
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
I figured everyone used a TU-2
The Boss is probably more common but the biggest complaint is probably the lack of a true bypass.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #636
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,398
Nice toy, I'll be grabbing one in the near future. I usually use Korg GT-3 but my Pocket POD also has a tuner built in. I used to be in the Piano Rebuilding/Tuning business so I also have a nice set of Tuning Forks (that are more trouble than they are worth once you get used to an electronic tuner-but they are wicked cool anyway).
Old 06-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #637
Daz-o-matic
HOT POOP

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
I figured everyone used a TU-2.

There's a reason why those are hard to find used. They're great for onstage, and I've never noticed any tone loss due to it not being true bypass - especially in a noisy stage environment. Then again, it's the only thing between my guitar and my amp; perhaps the tone suck gets cumulative after you throw some more boxes in the mix.

Like Klay mentioned, I can tune quick and dirty via ear and harmonics, but I don't have perfect pitch. If I wanna get all my guitars on the same page, I use a tuner. Around the house I use iStrobosoft on my iPhone. I got it free during an introductory/promo deal, but given how much I use it I'd happily pay a few bucks for it.

D.
Daz-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #638
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz-o-matic View Post
There's a reason why those are hard to find used. They're great for onstage, and I've never noticed any tone loss due to it not being true bypass - especially in a noisy stage environment. Then again, it's the only thing between my guitar and my amp; perhaps the tone suck gets cumulative after you throw some more boxes in the mix.
I have a TU-2 on my bass rig and one on my pedalboard for my guitar rig. As a drummer, I noticed all my guitarists and bassists used them too, if they weren't using a Korg DTR-whatever rack-mount (which I need for my bass rig as the amp and power conditioner are rack-mount and it's silly to have my tuner on the floor).

I also have a Korg GT-3 and a GA30 (that I gave to my niece who's learning to play). Can't complain about any of them.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #639
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Learning to play for old farts

Hi all,

In high school, I made many bad choices. One of them was to spend my musical talents learning to play the ever popular trombone rather than the guitar. I still can't explain it.

My son is an avid player, and you may have seen my many queries here regarding guitar and amp purchase advise.

It's been a life-time dream of mine to learn to play, and it's time to get off the pot and see if I can pull it off. So once again I am here looking for advise.

What is easier for a newb to learn to play on? Accoustic or electric? What is the path to speedy learning and enlightenment? I have no illusions of becoming a shredding solo god, but I would really like to be able to play along with my man-child at some point before I croak.

What say you?
Old 06-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #640
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,316
I'd say get a good acoustic with good action. An electric may seem easier to learn on, but what seems to happen is that a person doesn't actually learn completely. An electric guitar is for bands...an acoustic stands on its own and can be extremely satisfying. Then get an electric, too, at some point.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:32 PM   #641
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
I'd say get a good acoustic with good action. An electric may seem easier to learn on, but what seems to happen is that a person doesn't actually learn completely. An electric guitar is for bands...an acoustic stands on its own and can be extremely satisfying. Then get an electric, too, at some point.
+1

You'll typically come out with much more strength and less slop if you build up from acoustic first.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:02 AM   #642
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 921
It might be worth your while to look at one of the better Acoustic-Electrics. You learn to play on an acoustic and build you callouses and finger strength and then plug in to play along with your electrified progeny.

I don't know if you like or listen to Bluegrass, but listen to some of those flat pickers - some of them do things with that acoustic that many electric guitarists can't. Same goes for some of the better Country pickers - listen to Brad Paisley on some of his solos for inspiration.

Classical guitars have a sound all their own - a richness you can't get any other way. Check out Steve Stevens (yeah, Billy Idol's guitar player) playing a prototype Taylor classical http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC6XHZWG5QA, and yes, they make these electrified as well.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #643
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
OK, we have an accoustic guitar in the house already. How about learning plans. One on one lessons? Are there any web based tutorials that are worth the time? I have long forgotten how to read music, so I guess I should learn tabs.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #644
chopped58
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
There was a video posted recently on ADV of a band doing a cover of a song "Somebody that I used to know", where 5 people were playing the song on one guitar. I thought it was kind of cool, but today I stumbled on a video of one guy playing all those same parts himself...

Here's the first one I saw..

Here's the one I saw today, there's a lot going on here...

Thought some of you would enjoy it.

ADV Rider Relay 2008 New York
IBA# 27774

06 Uly
58 FL

Ride report: NY to Vegas
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513905
chopped58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #645
reelfish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86