Oddometer: 2,947
For fuck sake!

How hard can it be to play like this?

Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:42 PM   #737
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,084
Get yourself a headband and work on it for about a year, you could have it pretty well down. A bit quicker if you devote your existence to it. Never if you're like most.

I think non-players assume that the "edgier" stuff is always harder to play. While it is hardest to convey nuances of emotion without it seeming like you're playing anything, Mark's stuff isn't going to push you technically like Chet would. Knopfler has tougher stuff (Sultans for sure) but this will take you a bit longer to master:

YMMV

assquatch20 screwed with this post 09-29-2012 at 11:48 PM Reason: wrong video
assquatch20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:40 AM   #738
Cuff
no function beer well w/o

Oddometer: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware02 View Post
Awesome post and pics, Sir! Especially excellent parts highlighted by me.
Thank you very much. Music is a big part of my families life and its going to be long after I'm gone. Trying to leave the kids something to remember me years down the road. Again, thanks.

IBA# 38547

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/galler...er/1446/sort/3
Cuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:19 AM   #739
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware02 View Post
As a starter guitar, what criteria should I look for?

If it makes any difference, I'm a bigger guy. From my research so far, I've learned it's better to start on an acoustic guitar.

Advice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Depends on a few things.
I want to say electric because I feel seeing results early are what make most people stick with it.
Starting on a steel string acoustic will make proponents of old school self-flagulism happy, but it can be painful and frustrating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
A good quality steel string acoustic guitar isn't really hard to play. It's the cheap ones with poor action that are frustrating, especially for beginners.

Acoustics can be more satisfying because they sound better on their own. That's an immediate avenue to satisfaction, too. So the answer to the question of what is a good first guitar clearly is: It depends.
And there you have it. As a former guitar teacher, I'm a proponent of the acoustic, but it has to be an acoustic of at least decent quality. As Klay says, a good quality one isn't any harder than an electric to play. Heck, if you need to, you can swap out the 12-54's most manufacturers are putting on at the factory for some 10-50's. If the guitar is worth a damned and, more importantly, if the shop you buy from is worth a damn, it can be set up to play very comfortably.

Of course, you can start with acoustic or electric. It doesn't really matter that much, as long as it's a guitar of decent quality. I like acoustic because any odd noises, buzzing, etc. is a direct result of technique that you're learning. There are fewer distractions, it's easier to practice (just grab and go, no cords/amp/pedals, etc) and even if you graduate to an electric, every player can use a good acoustic for those front porch sessions.

Finally, IMHO, find a good indy dealer. They'll actually give a shit as to whether you succeed. A good indy will provide advice, take the time to help you find the instrument that's right for you, and follow up the sale with good service.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:00 AM   #740
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgretz View Post
If I was doing a Deering Goodtime, I'd go for the Goodtime 2 - having the resonator is nice, and overall they feel a bit better to me.
Ah, yes. Good clarification.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #741
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
2 outta 3 says Strat. Look at a Squier electric then.

Beginners these days.
Unless you're not a strat guy.

(OP) I'd probably recommend the Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster which is a really good guitar and is a sweet deal. I'd also check out the Gibson Melody Maker. It's a lower end GIbson but still a nice no nonsense guitar. Made in the US, too. Well, if you're interested in electric guitars.

Choosing between an electric and an acoustic should really depend on what you (OP) want to play. Either is fine for learning. The main thing is keeping your interest up and continuing to learn. If you're looking for the growl of an electric guitar you won't want to be playing an acoustic and vice verse.

You'll probably get more help from a local store then a big box store but I'd check the big stores as well. They usually have a broader selection. Also don't be afraid to bargain.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #742
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
Get yourself a headband and work on it for about a year, you could have it pretty well down. A bit quicker if you devote your existence to it. Never if you're like most.

I think non-players assume that the "edgier" stuff is always harder to play. While it is hardest to convey nuances of emotion without it seeming like you're playing anything, Mark's stuff isn't going to push you technically like Chet would. Knopfler has tougher stuff (Sultans for sure) but this will take you a bit longer to master:

YMMV
Now that both of those guys have left us, turn to Tommy Emmanuel for probably the best finger picking on the planet. One of the Certified Guitar Players (along with John Knowles, Steve Wariner, Marcel Dadi and Paul Yandell).

Yeah, if you want to learn Travis style picking (which is what you want if you aspire to Chet Atkins style) find a good country picker or session guy for your instructor. It doesn't matter if you play acoustic or electric (as is obvious from the Chet and Jerry sessions), both can do it well. Electric is easier initially on the fingers, but I'm an old guy and am a proponent of acoustic first. Build the technique, callouses and strength. Those all transfer to the electric.

Oh yes, here'sssss Tommy.....

The rig he uses in the second video is his complete road rig. That's it! No extras. It is actually two systems - one is a hot spare in case something happens to his main amp.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #743
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 914
Tommy Emmanuel Story

We used to go up to Exeter, California from Canoga Park (about 3 hours each way) to see Tommy (who lives in Australia - his brother used to be considered the talented one) at the Orange Blossom Junction (sadly, no longer a restaurant and concert venue ). After the last concert the wife and I were looking at the goodies for sale and she says - "If there is a finger style book, I've got to have it" and sure enough, there was a Mel Bay by Tommy. We bought the book and asked his ex-wife (selling the stuff) if we could get Tommy to sign it. She took us back stage to meet Tommy.

When Tommy saw the book, he started singing "Ode to Mel Bay" from the last album Chet Atkins did (with Tommy) and Tina and I joined in adding the harmony. Tommy cracked up and I said I had hoped he would have done some of the songs he had done with Chet as I wanted to see how he did a couple of the figures. Tommy gets up, goes and gets his guitar and proceeds to sing, talk, play and explain his techniques to us for almost an hour.

I was blown away. What a genuinely nice guy, and quite a character. Great stories, especially about Chet's last album and how he did the separation between the two guitars, staying at Chet's house (that album was recorded between Chet's treatments for the cancer that finally took him shortly after), being given the studio mic that Chet used to get his acoustic sound, and lots more.

We exchanged contact information and keep in touch.

If Tommy is anywhere near - do yourself a favor and see him play in person.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #744
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgretz View Post
If Tommy is anywhere near - do yourself a favor and see him play in person.

jdg
Never met him myself, but a friend came home from work one day and said he met a customer that played pretty well, and did some weird percussive techniques. So I look him up, and he was good. The acoustic virtuoso thing was never what I was into, but he's good. Andy McKee ain't bad either.

Around the same time, living in Nashville, I got on CL to find a decent luthier for some intonation stuff and wiring. I had some crazy Westone that had the strangest wiring configuration. Figures, being English. Anyhow, I pick a place and head over, and it's just a guy in his basement garage, in a nicer neighborhood. Guy hardly acknowledges my being there aside from a "come in". I guess I was 17 at the time and unsure of how legit the guy was, but he keeps working while I try to make passing talk about what I need done. I then notice he's got what looks like a '61 SG stripped bare on his workbench for a refinish. Old guy lights a rollie, puts some of the acoustic stuff on. I notice it's Emmanuel. "Plays like a motherfucker, right?" I did agree.

Anyhow he quoted me more money than I was comfortable with for a loose ground and a set up, so I declined, but he seemed keen on me coming back if I ever wanted to learn some luthiery, which I still desire to get better at.

I head down to the next music shop I see, ask about the work and get a quote half of the first guy's. I then mention how the last fella I saw wanted twice as much, and I throw his name out there. The dude behind the counter says "That guy?" and points up at the wall. There he is, on a gigantic poster, in the Ryman I think.

You get what you pay for, because that ground came loose again in 2 weeks and I never saw the old luthier again.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #745
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,947
One of these followed me home today.

Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #746
blackfriar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
I didn't pick up a guitar, or any musical instrument, until I was in my 40's. Saw Eric Clapton on tv late one night and decided to try it. I rented a Peavey Predator and little Peavey amp from the shop where I started taking lessons. Looking back, I think the teacher had more to do with me sticking with it than the type of guitar. He taught me a few things that allowed me to make some sounds I liked, like the power chords for "Cocaine", and that was enough to keep me doing the work it took to learn some chords and move on. I'm still not a very good guitar player, but I play most everyday, have a few guitars, and enjoy it as a hobby. So I encourage Hardware to pick out a guitar that he likes and have some fun!
2009 KLR 650 sold
2011 BMW R1200GSA
blackfriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #747
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfriar View Post
I didn't pick up a guitar, or any musical instrument, until I was in my 40's. Saw Eric Clapton on tv late one night and decided to try it. I rented a Peavey Predator and little Peavey amp from the shop where I started taking lessons. Looking back, I think the teacher had more to do with me sticking with it than the type of guitar. He taught me a few things that allowed me to make some sounds I liked, like the power chords for "Cocaine", and that was enough to keep me doing the work it took to learn some chords and move on. I'm still not a very good guitar player, but I play most everyday, have a few guitars, and enjoy it as a hobby. So I encourage Hardware to pick out a guitar that he likes and have some fun!
Sounds like my story...don't know if I told it yet or not...but if it is 205 sue me.

It was right after my neck surgery, I was laying in the hospital and surfing youtube...you know board to death and just hopping from one vid to the next. I came across this one and decided it would be fun to try. At the time my left arm (fretting hand) was about the size of a straw...no muscle left at all. Any Dr said it would be good for getting movement and my fingers working again....I still pick but I am not good at all.

Anyway here is the vid that hooked me...he looked like he was having so much fun...all his videos he just seems to really enjoy what he is doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51nA8g_t84c
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #748
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Phil X is a trip, and I'd love to have one of those VI's.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #749
Crocker
just passing through

Oddometer: 3,309
read this article yesterday

Looks like rough times for Fender coming up real soon. I've been wanting to pull the trigger on a new American standard Stratocaster to go with my Telecaster, might go ahead and pick one up now. I already have a squier classic vibe 60's model, and while good, it's just not the same.
Crocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #750
blackfriar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
That's an interesting article; thanks for posting it. I bought a used 1995 American Standard Strat in the late 90's. I've always been tempted to get a new one, but I just can't justify the expense. I hope they are able to keep making them in the US.
2009 KLR 650 sold
2011 BMW R1200GSA
blackfriar is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: