Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 98 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #751
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocker View Post
read this article yesterday

Looks like rough times for Fender coming up real soon. I've been wanting to pull the trigger on a new American standard Stratocaster to go with my Telecaster, might go ahead and pick one up now. I already have a squier classic vibe 60's model, and while good, it's just not the same.

Good article. Thanks.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #752
selkirkswamper
hellbilly

Oddometer: 142
Fender

The Fender corporation own more brands than just Fender they are at the point of competing within the corporation.
I have an 89 USA 62 reissue Jazz Bass good instrument but to be honest, the Korean, made instruments like DiPinto, Lakland, Reverend, Fender, etc..and the others from there are good.

For decent USA/North American made guitars you can always look to Godin Guitars (Seagull acoustics, etc) they are made in the US and Canada
selkirkswamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #753
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,621
It's a pretty interesting read. When I first started the article I wondered if it was going to touch on what (IMHO) are a couple of reasons the brand is struggling:
1. Close affiliation with Guitar Center
2. Acquisition of Kaman

I'm going to resist getting all wonky about the industry. I could go on and on, having been in the independent retail music biz for over 20 years now. Things have changed in that two decades, let alone the 66 years the Fender name has been around. Some things for the better, some things for the worse.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #754
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,094
What's interesting is how the big 2 swallow the competition when they get a chance. Fender purchased Jackson/Charvel, Gibson took Kramer (who outsold both Fender and Gibson combined two consecutive years, in their heyday) and then they just kinda stuff them in the corner. Epiphone and Squier both underwent a similar treatment front Gibson and Fender, respectively, but they've both picked up from it.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #755
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

True 'dat. Nowadays about half the guitars, no matter whose name is on the headstock, are made in about half a dozen eastern factories.

Fender - Charvel: I have to say that the new Charvel Desolation series are THE BEST guitars I've seen in their price range in the 20 years I've been selling. I wasn't going to add the line to my store, but my rep talked me into a sample. I was so impressed I ordered a dozen models ranging from a street price of $3 - $6 hundred bucks. Every single one of the twelve was set up and played like guitars twice their price........easily. So I guess you could say that at least Fender is trying to do something with Charvel.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #756
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 6,064
I blame Henry J.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #757
pachap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
True 'dat. Nowadays about half the guitars, no matter whose name is on the headstock, are made in about half a dozen eastern factories.

Fender - Charvel: I have to say that the new Charvel Desolation series are THE BEST guitars I've seen in their price range in the 20 years I've been selling. I wasn't going to add the line to my store, but my rep talked me into a sample. I was so impressed I ordered a dozen models ranging from a street price of $3 - $6 hundred bucks. Every single one of the twelve was set up and played like guitars twice their price........easily. So I guess you could say that at least Fender is trying to do something with Charvel.

I played a Desolation yesterday and I was pretty impressed. If I was in the market for a guitar with active pups I'd go for it. Played better than some Ibby's that I've played that cost a lot more.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #758
pachap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Have any of the inmates here got their hands on a Hell guitar yet? Apparently the company is fairly new. I am in the market for a new guitar and I am highly interested in them.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #759
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachap View Post
I played a Desolation yesterday and I was pretty impressed. If I was in the market for a guitar with active pups I'd go for it. Played better than some Ibby's that I've played that cost a lot more.
Don't let the actives fool you. The first one of them I sold was to a gal about 75 years old that plays in an old timey cowboy band. For active pickups they are very smooth and buttery. Like most people, when I read active pickups in the description, I immediately thought "shredder" but it isn't the case with these. Dial back the volume and they're very gentle and rich. Surprising.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #760
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Commander View Post
I blame Henry J.
Henry J is a whole other thread. I would go on to say that he is probably one of the most egotistical, clueless bastages I've met in the 20+ years I've been in the biz, but I don't like to share my opinions.....................much.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:14 AM   #761
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,585
That was an intresting article, My Gretsch is Korean and I am pretty darn happy with it. Just the fit and finish even after several years is still very nice, and while I long for a set of TVjones the stock setup is not too darn bad...not real Gretschy but not bad.

I have been shopping for a strat for sometime now...I think they are like a belly button everyone has one...but I have just not found one that has "talked" to me.

I also like what they said about the Japanese brands, I played a Yammy not too long ago and was very very close to picking it up....and I bet I should have...but I wanted that Fender.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:05 AM   #762
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I also like what they said about the Japanese brands, I played a Yammy not too long ago and was very very close to picking it up....and I bet I should have...but I wanted that Fender.
And that points to an interesting phenomenon: Brand recognition and loyalty, despite any advantages or disadvantages. I can't tell you how many times people that have never even held a guitar come into my store and say "I want a Gibson (or Fender)" and will refuse to even look at another brand. What's really funny is when you ask them why they want that brand. About 90% of them can't answer the question.

The two best pieces of advice I've gotten when checking out guitars:
1. Ignore the name on the headstock.
2. Ignore the price tag.

I've played some outstanding guitars from "no-name" makers and some real crap from the big brands. I've played some pretty cheap guitars that were really good and some really expensive ones that sucked. The inverse is also true.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:30 AM   #763
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
And that points to an interesting phenomenon: Brand recognition and loyalty, despite any advantages or disadvantages. I can't tell you how many times people that have never even held a guitar come into my store and say "I want a Gibson (or Fender)" and will refuse to even look at another brand. What's really funny is when you ask them why they want that brand. About 90% of them can't answer the question.

The two best pieces of advice I've gotten when checking out guitars:
1. Ignore the name on the headstock.
2. Ignore the price tag.

I've played some outstanding guitars from "no-name" makers and some real crap from the big brands. I've played some pretty cheap guitars that were really good and some really expensive ones that sucked. The inverse is also true.
So true...the reason I did not do the Yamaha is I just did not like the look of the guitar...yes I know another silly reason...and truth be known this is why I don't own a "strat" type guitar yet....I love my gretsch, I like the hollow body, I like the sounds it makes....I like my epi Les Paul...a more playable guitar I have not held....but the strat...I think I should have one because everyone does have one....but I really don't care for them or the sound that they have. And this is why I am looking hard at the Rick...it makes the sounds that I want it to make....it also feels good in the hands.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #764
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
...I think I should have one because everyone does have one....
(channeling my mother when I was about 12 years old)....."Now son, if everyone else was jumping off a bridge would you think you need to do that too?"

Old 10-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #765
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,094
Somebody left me an Ibanez SA a few years back, with a humbucker and 2 singles. Weighs about 5 lbs and it's solid mahogany. I've loved it's sound and feel over any Strat I've played. I would rather have a maple board on it, I think, but the sound for something so "cheap" is amazing. I've got a Showmaster it definitely beats and it feels slightly better than my SG with a much better sound.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: