ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 68 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 07:16 AM   #766
Crocker
just passing through
 
Crocker's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 3,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
Don't let the actives fool you. The first one of them I sold was to a gal about 75 years old that plays in an old timey cowboy band. For active pickups they are very smooth and buttery. Like most people, when I read active pickups in the description, I immediately thought "shredder" but it isn't the case with these. Dial back the volume and they're very gentle and rich. Surprising.
interesting. I'm going to need to find one locally to try out as I usually skip over anything with active pickups that isn't a bass.
Crocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #767
pachap
Studly Adventurer
 
pachap's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Crap-vannah, GA
Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
Don't let the actives fool you. The first one of them I sold was to a gal about 75 years old that plays in an old timey cowboy band. For active pickups they are very smooth and buttery. Like most people, when I read active pickups in the description, I immediately thought "shredder" but it isn't the case with these. Dial back the volume and they're very gentle and rich. Surprising.

I like actives, don't get me wrong. In all honesty I am looking for an LP type guitar to drop a specific set of pups in ( I know that's back-asswards). When it comes to actives I prefer EMG 81/85.

As far as that article goes... When Fender announced their now aborted intent to sell shares I laughed it off. I'm not a top investor or anything, hell I only have some mutual funds, but I thought it was silly and for the same reasons as the article.
__________________
What's the difference between fibromyalgia and MS? Neither does my doctor....
pachap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #768
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
(channeling my mother when I was about 12 years old)....."Now son, if everyone else was jumping off a bridge would you think you need to do that too?"




Yup

I already have a cheapo Strat copy and it is a little dead, the few times that I want to play something with that kind of sound I get frustrated witth how it sounds and pick up something different and go in a new direction. My problem is that I don't find myself reaching for the strat that often and I am not sure if it is because I think is sounds flat or I just don't go for that type of sound that often.....and this is why I am on the fence. Like I said before those that I picked up before just did not hit me as just right....I think the right one just has not come along.

Now the Rick I am in love with it.....the only problem with it is I am not sure at my level of playing that I really would get that much out of it. On the other hand it is like gold....as long as it is taken care of it will always have value.
__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #769
Josephvman
I'm the Decider
 
Josephvman's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,423
This is interesting. I've been on the Fender website, and it's confusing as hell how many different versions of the strats and tele's they make. I think part of the issue is that they're such simple instruments that once a player has a decent one there's really not much reason to have more than one. I've got an '86 American Standard Tele, and an Amercian Standard Strat Deluxe from 2006 I think (with the roller nut, locking tuners, and rear humbucker). I've played a lot of the current Fenders, and nothing is really much different than what I have, and if I was going to buy another Strat it would be vintage. Fender guitars just seem more like tools to me, and owning a Strat is like owning a hammer. If it's heavy enough to pound the nail you don't need two of them.

Gibson seems to have a more interesting line of guitars, with more different personalities and tones.

Guitar Center moves a lot of wood, but I can't help but think they hurt the industry overall. Mom and Pop music stores really don't have much of a chance, and unless you really find a niche, like vintage stuff or handling high-end boutique instruments and amps, it's pretty tough to compete with GC. They carry so much weight with manufacturers now that they can wag the dog, and GC becomes the customer instead of the final guitar player.




Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
It's a pretty interesting read. When I first started the article I wondered if it was going to touch on what (IMHO) are a couple of reasons the brand is struggling:
1. Close affiliation with Guitar Center
2. Acquisition of Kaman

I'm going to resist getting all wonky about the industry. I could go on and on, having been in the independent retail music biz for over 20 years now. Things have changed in that two decades, let alone the 66 years the Fender name has been around. Some things for the better, some things for the worse.
__________________
'11 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Sport "Stormtrooper II"
'09 BMW HP2 Sport
'98 Ducati 900SS Final Edition "The old whore"
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #770
Chuck289
Air cooled
 
Chuck289's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: SF Bay, California
Oddometer: 2,230
Has anyone tried the new Fender Mustang Amps? Opinions? I fiddled with one briefly and I really liked it. I like the idea of having an amp with alot of different sounds that I can easily bring to a friends house for an afternoon without having to bring my a bunch of pedals and cables.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...itar-combo-amp
__________________
-Charles
"This is an environment of welcoming, and you should just get the hell out of here" - Michael Scott
Chuck289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #771
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck289 View Post
Has anyone tried the new Fender Mustang Amps? Opinions? I fiddled with one briefly and I really liked it. I like the idea of having an amp with alot of different sounds that I can easily bring to a friends house for an afternoon without having to bring my a bunch of pedals and cables.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...itar-combo-amp
I have a Mustang II. I like it in many ways; sounds great, small enough, loud. It has almost too much going on for this Luddite, though. Granted, I don't play electric much. I know a few people that absolutely love them though; If you are into gadgetry, you'll probably really love it. If you're not, find a couple sounds you like and stick with them.
__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #772
Chuck289
Air cooled
 
Chuck289's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: SF Bay, California
Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
I have a Mustang II. I like it in many ways; sounds great, small enough, loud. It has almost too much going on for this Luddite, though. Granted, I don't play electric much. I know a few people that absolutely love them though; If you are into gadgetry, you'll probably really love it. If you're not, find a couple sounds you like and stick with them.
It seems like they have ALOT of different sounds and I know I probably will never use or even discover all of them. I predict I would use just a fraction of the sounds available, but if I find a handful of sounds I like it will be worth it for me.
__________________
-Charles
"This is an environment of welcoming, and you should just get the hell out of here" - Michael Scott
Chuck289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #773
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck289 View Post
It seems like they have ALOT of different sounds and I know I probably will never use or even discover all of them. I predict I would use just a fraction of the sounds available, but if I find a handful of sounds I like it will be worth it for me.
It is a good sounding amp, IMHO.
__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #774
josjor
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The largest geological formation in the U.S.A.
Oddometer: 2,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck289 View Post
Has anyone tried the new Fender Mustang Amps? Opinions? I fiddled with one briefly and I really liked it. I like the idea of having an amp with alot of different sounds that I can easily bring to a friends house for an afternoon without having to bring my a bunch of pedals and cables.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...itar-combo-amp
For modeling I like this one better: http://peavey.com/products/index.cfm...3B%26nbsp%3B75

24 amp models
11 stomp box effects
11 rack mount effects
Delay
Reverb
Chromatic tuner
Add the Sanpera pedal and you also get wah and 30 seconds of looping.

Of all the modeling amps out there, IMHO, the VYPYR sounds the most natural. They use an analog pre-amp and post-amp (transistor or tube, depending on model) and I think that makes a big difference.
__________________
Neutiquam erro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.

josjor screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 08:57 PM
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #775
Jeffy
Hmm...
 
Jeffy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: SF - East Bay
Oddometer: 4,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
Gibson seems to have a more interesting line of guitars, with more different personalities and tones.

Guitar Center moves a lot of wood, but I can't help but think they hurt the industry overall. Mom and Pop music stores really don't have much of a chance, and unless you really find a niche, like vintage stuff or handling high-end boutique instruments and amps, it's pretty tough to compete with GC. They carry so much weight with manufacturers now that they can wag the dog, and GC becomes the customer instead of the final guitar player.
They carry enough weight that they can have exclusive guitars as well. The Traditional Pro is an exclusive and a pretty hot seller since it's significantly less then a Traditional Plus or a Standard. They used to have a Gibson Custom Shop 1960 Reissue as well. Musician's Friend, who is owned by GC's parent company, now has a 1960 Reissue that's pretty good value compared to the other Reissue's available. Sam Ash, another large reseller has an exclusive Traditional Pro as well. I think their's only comes in two colors though. AMA had an exclusive Double-Cut Junior but it was discontinued recently.

Gibson has made a lot of changes for 2012. Much of it because of the Lacey Act. Gibson has introduced different woods for the fingerboards, Obeche, Granadillo, 'Burnt' Maple and Richlite. They also had to use a two-ply Rosewood. In any case, it's an interesting time. Purists balk but many seem to really like some of the new wood.
__________________
"I'm going to shift gears now.... This will involve man touching." - Jeremy Clarkson
Jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #776
Chinookmark
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: New Hartford, CT
Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
For modeling I like this one better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xXVr...layer_embedded

24 amp models
11 stomp box effects
11 rack mount effects
Delay
Reverb
Chromatic tuner
Add the Sanpera pedal and you also get wah and 30 seconds of looping.

Of all the modeling amps out there, IMHO, the VYPYR sounds the most natural. They use an analog pre-amp and post-amp (transistor or tube, depending on model) and I think that makes a big difference.
Not sure what amp you're referring to, but great vid!
Chinookmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #777
josjor
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The largest geological formation in the U.S.A.
Oddometer: 2,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinookmark View Post
Not sure what amp you're referring to, but great vid!
ooops.

Try this instead: http://peavey.com/products/index.cfm...3B%26nbsp%3B75
__________________
Neutiquam erro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #778
Chuck289
Air cooled
 
Chuck289's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: SF Bay, California
Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
Oh wow that looks nice. I have a Peavey Envoy that I'm really happy with so I'll have to check this Vypper out.
__________________
-Charles
"This is an environment of welcoming, and you should just get the hell out of here" - Michael Scott
Chuck289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #779
Josephvman
I'm the Decider
 
Josephvman's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,423
I've noticed Sweetwater has quite a few exclusive instruments as well. I bought my 50th Anniversary Jeff Tweedy SG from them. I stumbled across one right when they were released at GC, but it had a tremolo issue (this guitar has that weird vintage Lyre tremolo) where the arm was so tight it squeaked. I brought it back and their tech managed to loosen it too much, to the point it would swing and literally unscrew itself, and round off the tension screw. At that point the guitar needed major surgery, as in removing the entire tailpiece, and I didn't have much faith in their tech. I returned it and asked that they find me another one, which they did. It had a very floppy tremolo, even worse than the first one, and had more shop wear on it than my '86 Tele has. I decided to cut my losses and check with Sweetwater, where my brother buys a lot of gear and has always had a good experience. By this time that model was pretty sold out everywhere, but they had one last unsold piece coming in, and I got it. I told them about my previous issues, and when I got the guitar it was perfectly adjusted and setup.

Frankly I don't see myself buying any other new Fenders or Gibson's after my experience with my Collings, and having a chance to handle a couple of dozen of their instruments. Their factory is only a few hours from Houston, just outside of Austin, and I had the pleasure of getting a tour last time I was over that way. There is simply no such thing as getting a "good" Collings; they're literally all about as perfect as I think an instrument could be. Workmanship, materials, finish, setup; all just amazing. Once you see them being built you realize you're buying something very special. I'm sure Fender and Gibson are still doing custom shop pieces with this kind of care, but you'll pay $10-20k for one, and it won't be any better than a Collings. A friend of mine spent huge $$$ on a very nice custom shop Les Paul reissue at GC, and there's no question it's a beautiful guitar. He came over to check out the Collings 290, and was pretty floored. I don't think he regrets buying the LP, because he has always wanted a really nice LP, but by any objective standard the Collings was all over it.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
They carry enough weight that they can have exclusive guitars as well. The Traditional Pro is an exclusive and a pretty hot seller since it's significantly less then a Traditional Plus or a Standard. They used to have a Gibson Custom Shop 1960 Reissue as well. Musician's Friend, who is owned by GC's parent company, now has a 1960 Reissue that's pretty good value compared to the other Reissue's available. Sam Ash, another large reseller has an exclusive Traditional Pro as well. I think their's only comes in two colors though. AMA had an exclusive Double-Cut Junior but it was discontinued recently.

Gibson has made a lot of changes for 2012. Much of it because of the Lacey Act. Gibson has introduced different woods for the fingerboards, Obeche, Granadillo, 'Burnt' Maple and Richlite. They also had to use a two-ply Rosewood. In any case, it's an interesting time. Purists balk but many seem to really like some of the new wood.
__________________
'11 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Sport "Stormtrooper II"
'09 BMW HP2 Sport
'98 Ducati 900SS Final Edition "The old whore"
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #780
joec63
Gnarly Adventurer
 
joec63's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Olmsted Twnshp, OH
Oddometer: 279
My EJ strat, one of many and my amp. Run the amp clean with a delay/chorus/tube driver/compressor in front to get a nice EJ similar tone.


__________________
________
Semper Fi
joec63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014