Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #842
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
A banjo/ukelele ? Oh god.
You haven't lived until you've heard "Tiny Bubbles" on a banjolele.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #843
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
You haven't lived until you've heard "Tiny Bubbles" on a banjolele.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:29 AM   #844
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Well now I'm kind of excited to get the banjolele cleaned, stringed, and ready to go. An acquaintance from another forum I frequent posted up this pretty cool version of a Beatles tune done on his banjolele.

No. Really. I'm serious. It's pretty cool.
http://soundcloud.com/dino_j/for-you-blue
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #845
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,431
How much for the Fender lap steel?
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:30 AM   #846
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,646
I like that old Gibson Mando. Good find.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:27 AM   #847
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68deluxe View Post
I like that old Gibson Mando. Good find.
I spent a bit of time cleaning it up yesterday and doing some research. Gibson serial numbers are whacked. The serial number places it in 1968 but Gibson didn't offer the lump scroll until 1970. In addition, they inlayed just "Gibson" on some of them and "The Gibson" on others. Oh well. It sounded really nice before the new strings so I'm looking forward to hearing it after I get it strung up today.

On two related notes:

Strings: Give Curt Mangan a try some time. He's a small manufacturer of strings in Cortez, Colorado. He worked for Ernie Ball for almost two decades and then struck out on his own with the goal of making small batch, high-quality strings. A great company and really reasonably priced for a small batch string company. curtmangan.com

Cleaning stuff: As a music store we get offered free samples from time to time. As a music store guy for over two decades, I've seen about a million snake oil products that claim to be "the best" for cleaning and conditioning guitars. A few weeks ago we got samples from Music Nomad. I have to say that this time their hype matches their product. I'm amazed at how quick and how well their Guitar Polish is cleaning up the several decades of crazing and fingerprints on these old instruments. Their F-One oil is really helping out these old dried up fingerboards as well. This is definitely one of those times when I've gotten samples that will be store stock items, even if it's just for our own use on the bench. http://www.musicnomadcare.com/index.html

Not trying to sell here. Just sharing some tips.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:28 AM   #848
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
How much for the Fender lap steel?
PM sent. As I mentioned earlier, I don't really want to sell here on the open forum and posted these things here as an enthusiast, not a salesman.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #849
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
I spent a bit of time cleaning it up yesterday and doing some research. Gibson serial numbers are whacked. The serial number places it in 1968 but Gibson didn't offer the lump scroll until 1970. In addition, they inlayed just "Gibson" on some of them and "The Gibson" on others. Oh well. It sounded really nice before the new strings so I'm looking forward to hearing it after I get it strung up today.
It's a Norlin era thing, I believe. The numbers for the 70's haven't really been explained to date, and some match numbers from entirely separate eras.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #850
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
It's a Norlin era thing, I believe. The numbers for the 70's haven't really been explained to date, and some match numbers from entirely separate eras.
Yeah, it's like a rats nest and after about 20 minutes trying to sort out the conflicting charts I decided "It's between 1970 and 1976." 1974 is when the kids remember their dad buying it, but 1976 is when he quit playing.

I finished the cleanup and put the fresh strings on it. Sounds really nice. Mellow when you're picking, but a great big solid chop when you're.......well, chopping. It should make a nice player for someone. Old and funky enough to be cool but not so pristine that you'd be afraid to take it to a gig.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #851
pachap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
My Christmas present to myself will be a new guitar, and I'd like some inmate advice.
- Budget is $1000, maybe a bit more for the right piece.
- I play classic rock and blues.
- I prefer humbuckers for this one. I am not opposed to having some single coils as long as it has a bucker in the bridge.
- I prefer Seymour Duncan pups. '59's, JB's, and Pearly Gates are all special to my ears.
- Would prefer new, but not opposed to used for the right piece.
- Fixed bridge, but not opposed to a trem. If it has a trem it'll be blocked from day one.
- Prefer a string-thru body.
- Must be set-neck or neck-thru.
- Must have a Strat, Tele, LP, or SG body style. Not into V's or Explorers.
- Here is the biggest thing: It must have a flat radius neck. 9.5 inch radius isn't cutting it, so that rules out most Fenders and Gibby's.

I have been looking at Hell guitars lately, but I'm not big on the bolt-on necks. Nothing really against them, just not into that right now. Also, I am really digging the ESP LTD EC models, the EC 1000 with SD's to be exact However, it's a 2 hour ride to the nearest shop that carries them. So if you FF's can recommend something I would appreciate it.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #852
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,355
My latest acquisition. Fretless slide cigar box guitar. Electrified. Discovered the world of cigar box guitars. Wow. Google that one.

Fun.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #853
ColininKodiak
(not in Kodiak)

Oddometer: 713
I'm having an all curly Koa resonator guitar built by JD Myers in Ohio. He calls them the Fishook. It'll be done in a few weeks. I can't wait! JD is quickly becoming the premier builder in Dobro type guitars. He uses salvage woods almost exclusively. Mine came from beams from an old Hawaiian Hotel. Every one of his guitars has a unique story and the wood has had a previous life other than a tree. I'm getting Chestnut binding, an alternating dark light, sort of half herringbone purfling and wooly mammoth tusk diamond fretboard inlays. I gave my guitar a special name, "Kekuku" after Joseph Kekuku, the creator of slide guitar. It is fitting since mine is a special slide guitar that came from Hawaii.

Here is Johnny Bellar, one of the best but sadly also one of the most underrated dobro players on the planet playing his personal Koa Fishook guitar.

The tone and attack on this thing is downright scary. I currently play a Beard resonator which is what Jerry Douglas plays, and I'll have to step up my game to make this thing sound it's best. Definitely a guitar I can spend my entire musical life growing into.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #854
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachap View Post
My Christmas present to myself will be a new guitar, and I'd like some inmate advice.
- I prefer humbuckers for this one. I am not opposed to having some single coils as long as it has a bucker in the bridge.
- I prefer Seymour Duncan pups. '59's, JB's, and Pearly Gates are all special to my ears.
- Fixed bridge, but not opposed to a trem. If it has a trem it'll be blocked from day one.
- Here is the biggest thing: It must have a flat radius neck. 9.5 inch radius isn't cutting it, so that rules out most Fenders and Gibby's.

I have been looking at Hell guitars lately, but I'm not big on the bolt-on necks. Nothing really against them, just not into that right now. Also, I am really digging the ESP LTD EC models, the EC 1000 with SD's to be exact However, it's a 2 hour ride to the nearest shop that carries them. So if you FF's can recommend something I would appreciate it.
I don't keep up with gear much anymore, but there was at least a time when Schecter could fill that hole for you pretty well. Don't discount Ibanez. I've found that they typically carry a lot more bang for buck than the big brands, and the neck is pretty tough to beat. A $1000 Ibanez can sound like whatever you want it to sound like and it will feel better in your hands than the classics usually.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #855
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachap View Post

Gibson LP and SG's will be 12" to 14".

Pickups are very subjective. Sounds like you want PAF humbuckers which is what the '59's, JB's PG's and Antiquities try to copy. You might also consider some of the smaller winders. There are a bunch out there. You can spend $150-600 on pickups though.

For $1000, you could get a Gibson LP Junior, LP Special, LP Studio or a Gibson SG. Although Juniors sound better with the P-90 then humbuckers. Sound would argue that LP's in general sound better with P90's. The only thing that it doesn't check is the string-through body.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: