ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 82 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 04:24 AM   #856
Tripped1
Likely Lost.
 
Tripped1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo
Oddometer: 7,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachap View Post
My Christmas present to myself will be a new guitar, and I'd like some inmate advice.
- Budget is $1000, maybe a bit more for the right piece.
- I play classic rock and blues.
- I prefer humbuckers for this one. I am not opposed to having some single coils as long as it has a bucker in the bridge.
- I prefer Seymour Duncan pups. '59's, JB's, and Pearly Gates are all special to my ears.
- Would prefer new, but not opposed to used for the right piece.
- Fixed bridge, but not opposed to a trem. If it has a trem it'll be blocked from day one.
- Prefer a string-thru body.
- Must be set-neck or neck-thru.
- Must have a Strat, Tele, LP, or SG body style. Not into V's or Explorers.
- Here is the biggest thing: It must have a flat radius neck. 9.5 inch radius isn't cutting it, so that rules out most Fenders and Gibby's.

I have been looking at Hell guitars lately, but I'm not big on the bolt-on necks. Nothing really against them, just not into that right now. Also, I am really digging the ESP LTD EC models, the EC 1000 with SD's to be exact However, it's a 2 hour ride to the nearest shop that carries them. So if you FF's can recommend something I would appreciate it.
That is a hell of a shopping list my friend.

I have a buddy from High School that builds guitars and basses now, I can give him a yell and see what he can do. I've seen some of his work, he likes natural tone with exotic woods, and they are gorgeous.

.......of course I haven't heard one being that I haven't seen the guy in 15 years and he live 1000 miles away.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenScummyTroll View Post
Show folks something with a clutch and carburetor, and it's like teaching a baboon to use a Macbook.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:20 AM   #857
pachap
Studly Adventurer
 
pachap's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Crap-vannah, GA
Oddometer: 675
Jeffy - I have an Ibby semi-hollow body with Stew Mac buckers in it now. I really like those, not bad for $100'ish a set.

I didn't know the Gibby's had a flatter radius, I though it was 9". That changes the ball game.
__________________
What's the difference between fibromyalgia and MS? Neither does my doctor....
pachap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #858
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer
 
David_Moen's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Salmon Arm, B.C. Canada Eh!
Oddometer: 1,221
I'm no player, but I remember from shopping for a guitar for my son that a Chapman ML1 has a string-through body, a humbucker on the bridge and a 13.5" radius neck (which is pretty flat isn't it?). at $370UK pounds, it comes in well under your budget as well.

The reviews that Rob Chapman does on YouTube are pretty great, he can really play, and they are funny!

Come to think of it the Fender Mustang Pawn Shop that I bought my son as a grad present has a string through body, no trem, and "Enforcer" coil-splitting humbuckers, I think the neck shape takes it out of contention for you though. My son loves it though.
__________________
2013 KTM 350EXC-F, 2005 BMW R200GS, 1984 Kawasaki GPz 750
David_Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:19 AM   #859
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 98,413
My guitar feels like it's vibrating in my hands and playing me tonight. Making up country stuff.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:16 AM   #860
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,240
I am having a bit of a time here again lately, fingers falling asleep, no strength....bla bla bla.

I already have pretty darn light strings, it is tuned down a half step....and I am still buzzing notes as my fingers can't push hard enough.....I am happy this comes in spells, but it really makes me mad/sad when it happens.

Any ideas?
__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #861
Josephvman
I'm the Decider
 
Josephvman's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,430
Speaking of strings, what do most of you play? My Collings came strung with .11's, which is the first guitar I've had with them, and I'm switching all of my others to those. I find they don't bend much differently than .10's, but the sustain is noticeably better.
__________________
'11 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Sport "Stormtrooper II"
'09 BMW HP2 Sport
'98 Ducati 900SS Final Edition "The old whore"
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #862
josjor
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The largest geological formation in the U.S.A.
Oddometer: 2,567
You don't even want to know.

I play .13-.58's from Curt Mangan on my Recording King 000. Keep in mind that I'm an acoustic/bluegrass guy and we don't plug in any of our instruments. I have the action just a tad high and use heavy strings in order to be heard. Most folks find the strings to be too heavy for their liking.

Nearly all the guitars from manufactures are coming into the store with .12-.54 on them. Lighter strings may play easier, but they go with a heavier string to increase tone and sustain. They simply sound better.
__________________
Neutiquam erro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #863
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
You don't even want to know.

I play .13-.58's from Curt Mangan on my Recording King 000. Keep in mind that I'm an acoustic/bluegrass guy and we don't plug in any of our instruments. I have the action just a tad high and use heavy strings in order to be heard. Most folks find the strings to be too heavy for their liking.

Nearly all the guitars from manufactures are coming into the store with .12-.54 on them. Lighter strings may play easier, but they go with a heavier string to increase tone and sustain. They simply sound better.
I just ordered some Martin Phosphor Bronze .0125 - .055 to try out; I've been playing with .12-.54, but tend to do more country, and learning bluegrass style licks. Can't wait to try them out. Also, my old Alvarez that I'm putting them on has a very very slight buzz near the nut on the D string; someone mentioned a slightly heavier string set may help with that.
__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #864
josjor
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The largest geological formation in the U.S.A.
Oddometer: 2,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
I just ordered some Martin Phosphor Bronze .0125 - .055 to try out; I've been playing with .12-.54, but tend to do more country, and learning bluegrass style licks. Can't wait to try them out. Also, my old Alvarez that I'm putting them on has a very very slight buzz near the nut on the D string; someone mentioned a slightly heavier string set may help with that.
Is the buzz near the nut only when the string is played open? If so then it's probably the groove on the nut is too deep and when the string vibrates it's barely touching the first fret. An easy check is if you finger the first fret on the D string and the buzz disappears.
__________________
Neutiquam erro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #865
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
Is the buzz near the nut only when the string is played open? If so then it's probably the groove on the nut is too deep and when the string vibrates it's barely touching the first fret. An easy check is if you finger the first fret on the D string and the buzz disappears.
No, it buzzes a little even chording, but only when I play it a little "heavy". If it doesn't change with the string change (likely), I'll take it to my local shop and have it looked at; I really like the sound and feel of this guitar, so it's worth it, even though it's my beater.
__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #866
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 98,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
I just ordered some Martin Phosphor Bronze .0125 - .055 to try out; I've been playing with .12-.54, but tend to do more country, and learning bluegrass style licks. Can't wait to try them out. Also, my old Alvarez that I'm putting them on has a very very slight buzz near the nut on the D string; someone mentioned a slightly heavier string set may help with that.
Have you checked the truss rod tension?
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #867
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Have you checked the truss rod tension?
No, I don't know anything about this stuff.
__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #868
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 98,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
No, I don't know anything about this stuff.
Take a sight down the neck of the guitar like you would look down a yard stick to see if it's straight...set the guitar on the floor and look down the edge of the neck. It should be slightly crooked...that is to say, the tension of the strings should be bending the neck very slightly so that it curves away from the strings. If it's curving the other way-bowed out toward the strings- the truss rod is too tight and needs to be loosened. This can happen by itself because the neck expands and contracts in length because of changes in humidity. If the neck is bowed the wrong way toward the strings, string rattle is much more likely.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #869
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Take a sight down the neck of the guitar like you would look down a yard stick to see if it's straight...set the guitar on the floor and look down the edge of the neck. It should be slightly crooked...that is to say, the tension of the strings should be bending the neck very slightly so that it curves away from the strings. If it's curving the other way-bowed out toward the strings- the truss rod is too tight and needs to be loosened. This can happen by itself because the neck expands and contracts in length because of changes in humidity. If the neck is bowed the wrong way toward the strings, string rattle is much more likely.
Thanks. I'll check it out more closely when I get home. I did look down the neck and it seemed really straight. The action is very low... seems just a tad too low at the nut on the D string.
__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #870
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 98,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Thanks. I'll check it out more closely when I get home. I did look down the neck and it seemed really straight. The action is very low... seems just a tad too low at the nut on the D string.
Ideally, there should be a slight curve away from the strings. Could be the channel in the nut on the D-string is too low compared to the other strings, of course, too.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014