http://www.tomleemusic.ca/main/guita...?list=1&id=242

IBA# 38547

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/galler...er/1446/sort/3
Cuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:10 AM   #902
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,145
I should stipulate, scarce south of your border.

The Maritime SWS SG is very interesting though
Old 10-30-2012, 01:22 AM   #903
Skip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
There are two SWS finishes. SG is semi-gloss, HG is high gloss. IMO the HG is more attractive and durable. Costs a few dollars more.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:26 AM   #904
Cuff
no function beer well w/o

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
I should stipulate, scarce south of your border.

The Maritime SWS SG is very interesting though
You do get mail down there right??? Having said that though, I don't think I could buy an acoustic on-line. You'll have to make a trip out of it and come up. I was just down to your neck of the woods, great roads, good people. Just like up here but with more sun. ;-)

IBA# 38547

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/galler...er/1446/sort/3
Cuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #905
Skip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Here's the California Seagull Dealers. Not all may have a great selection so call around.

There might be some used ones out there, especially from the independent shops. S6 on Craigslist, $280 OBO
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #906
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
There are two SWS finishes. SG is semi-gloss, HG is high gloss. IMO the HG is more attractive and durable. Costs a few dollars more.
I'm not looking to spend a lot and if it's just looks, I can live without. I don't put enough wear on them to worry about wearing the finish out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuff View Post
You do get mail down there right??? Having said that though, I don't think I could buy an acoustic on-line. You'll have to make a trip out of it and come up. I was just down to your neck of the woods, great roads, good people. Just like up here but with more sun. ;-)
I've ordered one guitar online from AMS and they did good. It came double boxed and sent 3-day. Then again it was a $1300 guitar so I'd hope it would be in good shape. The last time I did go to the store to buy it in person. I'm kinda on the fence for getting an acoustic guitar but some songs do require one. Not to mention they sound better then an electric with no amp. I'll have to see if I can swing one either later this year or next year.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #907
valvecrusher
tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer: 1,710
I got a Washburn WI-64 Deluxe, Black
(just a black workhouse guitar, nothing especially unusual)

In shipping, it got a chip in the clear on the neck
..(right over #7 fret dot where you can see it)
It's about the size of a dime...

It's a nice guitar, imho,
so i would LOVE to just get a small amount of clear ?XXXXXX?(something) over it to seal it, and also keep the chip from 'peeling' further...

Everyone is suggesting using lacquer, but in my experiences, choosing wrong makes things very hideous and prominent.

any suggestions?

techniques? materials?(PM is ok, too)

My guitars currently...
Fender
Squire S73 red

Washburns

WI-24 black
WI-100 matte black
WI-64 black
WI-70 black
others i've had~ WI-18tg, WI-45fhb

Wanted
USA washburn WI-90(PI-90,WI-590) in WHITE,
WI-45 in white,
WI-1800-CM, cracked mirror idol

Anyone with a CHEAP Washburn WI-15 wanting to sell, I'm wanting one to haul around to practice....nicks, dents, scratches, missing parts all ok..
send me a PM on WI-15
(It's more comfortable to play for me than the WI-14/24 bodies)

valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #908
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by valvecrusher View Post
I got a Washburn WI-64 Deluxe, Black
(just a black workhouse guitar, nothing especially unusual)

In shipping, it got a chip in the clear on the neck
..(right over #7 fret dot where you can see it)
It's about the size of a dime...

It's a nice guitar, imho,
so i would LOVE to just get a small amount of clear ?XXXXXX?(something) over it to seal it, and also keep the chip from 'peeling' further...

Everyone is suggesting using lacquer, but in my experiences, choosing wrong makes things very hideous and prominent.
It's probably something like nitrocellulose lacquer but it's hard to say without seeing it. You definitely want to figure out what kind of lacquer and not just use any lacquer. I'd recommend taking it to a luthier to get an opinion. Some types check faster then others which will be an issue when matching it.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #909
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Been toying with the idea of getting an acoustic guitar but don't really know that much about them. I'm not that really big on acoustics but there are time when an electric won't do. If I was going to get a sup-$500 what should I look at? I've heard mixed reviews on the lower-end Taylor and Martins. Yamaha seems to be a solid sub-$200. What about Seagull? I don't know much about this company but people seem to like them? How about the bigger companies like Fender or Epiphone?

As others have said, the various Godin Canadian guitars are killer values.

We have a couple of their Art and Lutherie brand parlor guitars and they are super for camping and just always sitting out ready to pick up at home. Sold a near-new Baby Taylor at a loss before buying the first A&L and it was STILL worth it.

One thing that's different about acoustic shopping is that as the player you have the worst seat in the house for judging sound. Feel, yes. Playability, yes. Have somebody play your style while you listen before making a final decision. It's sort of like modding your exhaust, while riding you don't really know what it sounds like to the neighbors...
surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:42 PM   #910
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by surly357 View Post
As others have said, the various Godin Canadian guitars are killer values.

We have a couple of their Art and Lutherie brand parlor guitars and they are super for camping and just always sitting out ready to pick up at home. Sold a near-new Baby Taylor at a loss before buying the first A&L and it was STILL worth it.

One thing that's different about acoustic shopping is that as the player you have the worst seat in the house for judging sound. Feel, yes. Playability, yes. Have somebody play your style while you listen before making a final decision. It's sort of like modding your exhaust, while riding you don't really know what it sounds like to the neighbors...
Good to know, I've heard people complaining about how they sound then mention they're ok through a PA but didn't really know why.

So, so far I've learned that Norman makes entry- to mid-level acoustic guitars. Art & Lutherie makes entry-level budget guitars. The Simon and Patrick brand makes mid- to high-range steel-string acoustics. La Patrie manufactures classical guitars. Seagull makes solid wood entry- to mid-range acoustic guitars. Out of all of those only S&P and Seagull have models that have solid sides and backs. I was reading that the Seagulls have an archtop design which is different then the other guitars. I'm sure the headstock is also to help the G-string stay in tune. Common problem on the Les Paul's I'm used to. So far I'm thinking the Seagull S6, Maritime SWS SG, and the S&P Woodland Pro are what I should check out.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:01 AM   #911
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuff View Post
I don't think I could buy an acoustic on-line.
I know I couldn't. An electric? Yeah....I mean basically you're talking about a slab of wood with some electronics in it. There will be little tone differences between two guitars of the same model, make, and manufacture, but those differences will be very, very small as a rule.

Acoustics? Well that's a whole other ball-o-wax. Wood is such an integral part of an acoustics tone and God doesn't make two trees alike. There are a few models of guitars that we sell quite a few of an I order those models by the six pack. I can pull all six of them out of the box and I'll hear six different tones. It's just the way it is. (Note: In my experience, those tone differences between identical models get smaller and smaller as you spend more and more. Manufacturers work a little harder at consistency on higher end models)
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:26 AM   #912
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,253
Speaking of Canadian guitar makers...

http://riversongguitars.com/

Interesting thinking around the design of an acoustic guitar.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:59 AM   #913
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 9,059
I've been making horrid plonking and screeching noises with one of these

and this, Rocksmith.

Pretty fun, but I forgot how horribly I suck.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:08 AM   #914
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post
I've been making horrid plonking and screeching noises with one of these

and this, Rocksmith.

Pretty fun, but I forgot how horribly I suck.
I have that same guitar! Mine's circa 1996. I think in '97 they went with a humbucker in the bridge. I hate that guitar. Never stays in tune. I also don't like the neck profile. I'll have to see if I can dig mine out.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:21 AM   #915
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 9,059
mine seems to do ok as long as I leave the whammy bar alone. And since I lost that years ago... no real problem.

My neck pickup does have a stripped hole though, so it resides half in and half out of the guitar. I wouldn't know comfortable from uncomfy though. I find myself strangling every guitar I get hold of. I'm guessing because of my first ever playing experience on an old fender acoustic of dads. Damn strings are at least a half inch off the neck. He doesn't care because he can't really play and could squeeze oil out of an olive with his pinky.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: