Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 100 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 10:36 AM   #916
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post
mine seems to do ok as long as I leave the whammy bar alone. And since I lost that years ago... no real problem.

My neck pickup does have a stripped hole though, so it resides half in and half out of the guitar. I wouldn't know comfortable from uncomfy though. I find myself strangling every guitar I get hold of. I'm guessing because of my first ever playing experience on an old fender acoustic of dads. Damn strings are at least a half inch off the neck. He doesn't care because he can't really play and could squeeze oil out of an olive with his pinky.
I recommend making it into a hard tail if you don't use the tremolo/wammy bar. Also, when they get old the springs no longer hold the tremolo against the body and it makes tuning more of a PITA. Basically you take a piece of wood and shove it behind the tremolo to prevent it from moving.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #917
Cuff
no function beer well w/o

Oddometer: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
I recommend making it into a hard tail if you don't use the tremolo/wammy bar. Also, when they get old the springs no longer hold the tremolo against the body and it makes tuning more of a PITA. Basically you take a piece of wood and shove it behind the tremolo to prevent it from moving.

I used a piece of Lego back in '87 when I bought my '62 re-issue Strat as a temp hartail. It's been there ever since seeing as the sound was sooooo good I didn't want to mess with it anymore.

IBA# 38547

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/galler...er/1446/sort/3
Cuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #918
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuff View Post
I used a piece of Lego back in '87 when I bought my '62 re-issue Strat as a temp hartail. It's been there ever since seeing as the sound was sooooo good I didn't want to mess with it anymore.
I used a Moroso spark plug wire separator .
Old 10-31-2012, 09:05 PM   #919
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by valvecrusher View Post

any suggestions?

techniques? materials?(PM is ok, too)
http://www.stewmac.com/tsarchive/ts0174.html
Old 11-01-2012, 12:23 AM   #920
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Moen View Post
Speaking of Canadian guitar makers...

http://riversongguitars.com/

Interesting thinking around the design of an acoustic guitar.

Another Canadian Luther.

......don't ask what these fucking things actually cost, but I want one.

P.S. I'm sure she's relatively expensive.......
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:33 AM   #921
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,624
Quote:
I've been making horrid plonking and screeching noises with one of these

and this, Rocksmith.

Pretty fun, but I forgot how horribly I suck.

When the Peavey Predator first came out (1990-91?) I was in my first year of working full time in the music store that I now own. They retailed at $229.00 and were MADE IN THE USA!!!!! Nobody was making a guitar in the USA at that price. They played well and were finished well. As an interesting side note, the magnets in the pickups were actually made in a small factory in my town.

One of my long time customers who for many years played for a living, bought one of those USA made Predators from me back then. He still plays it and always tells me "That's the most money making guitar I've ever owned."
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:56 AM   #922
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
When the Peavey Predator first came out (1990-91?) I was in my first year of working full time in the music store that I now own. They retailed at $229.00 and were MADE IN THE USA!!!!! Nobody was making a guitar in the USA at that price. They played well and were finished well. As an interesting side note, the magnets in the pickups were actually made in a small factory in my town.

One of my long time customers who for many years played for a living, bought one of those USA made Predators from me back then. He still plays it and always tells me "That's the most money making guitar I've ever owned."
I had a Peavey Impact for a while.

24 Frets, dual hums, neck through.....People were like "Dude you really have a Peavey?", until I started playing it and people did double takes. I had a full deep tone and a great neck.

It got stolen sadly, and apparently they are pretty rare, I've been keeping an eye out for one for about ten years now.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:58 AM   #923
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,606
Quote:
.....and this, Rocksmith.
I always like to take a sec. to pimp this game.....if nothing else it will make practice fun...and it actually will make you better....can't ask more from a GAME.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:56 AM   #924
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I always like to take a sec. to pimp this game.....if nothing else it will make practice fun...and it actually will make you better....can't ask more from a GAME.
I've had it about a week now and I'm getting close to 36 hours played.

Re-growing the callouses is the hard part. I was fairly sure I had sliced open my ring finger doing a slide last night.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:55 AM   #925
Dismount
Boring bastard

I'm ok with mine being movable. No whammy bar, but I can put the heel of my hand on the bridge and get some nice sounds without the full on whammy sound.

Haven't had to tune mine since I drug it out of the bag last week when I got the game.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #926
blackfriar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
When I first started playing in 1994 I rented a red Peavey Predator from the store where I was getting the lessons. I eventually bought it but sold it about 8 years ago. That picture reminds me never to sell any more of my guitars.
2009 KLR 650 sold
2011 BMW R1200GSA
blackfriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #927
Dismount
Boring bastard

Mine was either a birthday or xmas present when I was a teenager. I'll never ever sell it.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #928
Jeffy
Hmm...

Okay, here's my Peavey Predator. I bought this new when I was in College. I actually put a down payment on one back in '92/'94 but I never went to pick it up when it came in and then the store closed. When I wanted to learn, I went to the same guitar. I just took it out of the closet and it plays okay. The tuners have so much slop in them compared to my Grovers and Klusons. The pickups aren't too bad. I didn't realize it was an American made guitar. The neck is so tiny compared to the Gibson's though. That was one of the things that bugged me. I like the thicker necks. Also the fretboard has a poly finish on it which I don't really care for. When I plugged it into my amp, nothing worked. I guess it has been in storage so long that there was oxidation on the 5-way switch and it only started working when I moved it round a bit.

I've thought about replacing the hardware for decent stuff but it's not my go-to guitar.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #929
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Censport View Post
Was in Japan on business this past September. Stopped in Ochanomizu (literally means "tea water") and visited the largest concentration of music stores... in the world.

WOW. Never seen a single-pickup Les Paul before. Were the prices generally expensive?
Old 11-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #930
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68deluxe View Post
WOW. Never seen a single-pickup Les Paul before. Were the prices generally expensive?
There have been a few different ones over the years. They're all done by Gibson Custom Shop.

I think this is the coolest though. This guitar was built by Gibson Custom Shop for Joe Perry.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: