Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 100 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #931
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Okay, here's my Peavey Predator. I bought this new when I was in College. I actually put a down payment on one back in '92/'94 but I never went to pick it up when it came in and then the store closed. When I wanted to learn, I went to the same guitar. I just took it out of the closet and it plays okay. The tuners have so much slop in them compared to my Grovers and Klusons. The pickups aren't too bad. I didn't realize it was an American made guitar. The neck is so tiny compared to the Gibson's though. That was one of the things that bugged me. I like the thicker necks. Also the fretboard has a poly finish on it which I don't really care for. When I plugged it into my amp, nothing worked. I guess it has been in storage so long that there was oxidation on the 5-way switch and it only started working when I moved it round a bit.

I've thought about replacing the hardware for decent stuff but it's not my go-to guitar.

I just spent 3 hours hurting the hell out of my fingers. on that exact same guitar. Noobieism is always fun.

I didn't realize they were burning this bad till my arm cramped up and i quit for the evening. Either the callouses are coming along nicely or my fingerbones have started to come out.

Does a thicker neck help you not grip the neck like it was an attacking wang? Cause that would be freaking marvelous.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #932
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post
I just spent 3 hours hurting the hell out of my fingers. on that exact same guitar. Noobieism is always fun.

I didn't realize they were burning this bad till my arm cramped up and i quit for the evening. Either the callouses are coming along nicely or my fingerbones have started to come out.

Does a thicker neck help you not grip the neck like it was an attacking wang? Cause that would be freaking marvelous.
It depends. Typically those with bigger hands tend to like bigger necked guitars but it's not always the case. I'm not up on my Fender profiles but I do know Gibson's and Epiphone's. The thickest necks will probably be a 50's neck Gibson. Gibson's 60's necks are a little smaller but both are thicker then that Peavey. When I tried playing the Peavey, the neck felt really small and easy to play. I'd head over to a big box guitar shop and try some out and see what you like. Don't let cost bother you since you're just looking for the right neck profile.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:21 PM   #933
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,567
Quote:

If you want to callouses to speed up dip your finger tips in alcohol, hurts like a bitch but it speeds the process.

Try to keep your thumb even with your index finger, also keep the strap high enough that your wrist is more or less straight for bar chords. Hanging the guitar around your knees only works for metal because you are usually on the end of the neck an don't really have to bar much.

Reading up on the egronomics will save you a lot of pain (and carpal tunnel)
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:43 AM   #934
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,095
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
If you want to callouses to speed up dip your finger tips in alcohol, hurts like a bitch but it speeds the process.

Try to keep your thumb even with your index finger, also keep the strap high enough that your wrist is more or less straight for bar chords. Hanging the guitar around your knees only works for metal because you are usually on the end of the neck an don't really have to bar much.

Reading up on the egronomics will save you a lot of pain (and carpal tunnel)

A problem I've had and noticed others having is a fatiguing at the thumb, especially for complex finger stretching stuff.

If you crank your thumb out to a hitchhiker position and put it right on the center of the neck, you'll get the most reach with your fretting fingers without the neck trying to leave your hand, as you're clamping down harder than usual. The problem is this can wear you out a lot quicker. I have kinda big hands, but finger length is probably only slightly more than average, so I prefer thin necks to avoid this. What I'm aiming at here is your neck profile needs to be selected with longevity in mind, as well as performance. A heavy neck also makes this hard once you're standing. Instead of treating your hand like pliers, try to be a C-clamp instead. Find a neck that allows you to stretch easier (I prefer thin necks and a 24.75 scale for a little boost) and do dexterity exercises. Without looking, I would say being able to just barely touch your thumb and pinky finger together at the 12th fret is ideal.

And a big +1 to keeping the wrist straight. Even if you're just doing rhythm, it'll be harder and more painful with a low guitar. You'll see the guys that hang it low turn it upright (Slash and Zakk Wylde I think) when they go to do lead stuff because it's too low to do well with the guitar horizontal. Most of the absolute best players I've seen either hang it high and play great, or they have the finger length to keep it low/midway and get away with it (Paul Gilbert). You rarely see the strap all the way out and hear good playing at the same time unless it's two separate guitarists.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:05 AM   #935
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by surly357 View Post
As others have said, the various Godin Canadian guitars are killer values.

We have a couple of their Art and Lutherie brand parlor guitars and they are super for camping and just always sitting out ready to pick up at home. Sold a near-new Baby Taylor at a loss before buying the first A&L and it was STILL worth it.

One thing that's different about acoustic shopping is that as the player you have the worst seat in the house for judging sound. Feel, yes. Playability, yes. Have somebody play your style while you listen before making a final decision. It's sort of like modding your exhaust, while riding you don't really know what it sounds like to the neighbors...
I have two of those...was going to post them, but figured the guitar snobs would get their panties in a knot...love the Art and Lutheries, and Godins!

(Edit) I played the baby Talyor, but the A&E kicks it's ass)
I seldom see my Art and Lutherie parlour guitar, because once my friends play it once, it seems to disappear with them for a while.

ZZR_Ron screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 03:31 AM
ZZR_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:13 AM   #936
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
A problem I've had and noticed others having is a fatiguing at the thumb, especially for complex finger stretching stuff.

If you crank your thumb out to a hitchhiker position and put it right on the center of the neck, you'll get the most reach with your fretting fingers without the neck trying to leave your hand, as you're clamping down harder than usual. The problem is this can wear you out a lot quicker. I have kinda big hands, but finger length is probably only slightly more than average, so I prefer thin necks to avoid this. What I'm aiming at here is your neck profile needs to be selected with longevity in mind, as well as performance. A heavy neck also makes this hard once you're standing. Instead of treating your hand like pliers, try to be a C-clamp instead. Find a neck that allows you to stretch easier (I prefer thin necks and a 24.75 scale for a little boost) and do dexterity exercises. Without looking, I would say being able to just barely touch your thumb and pinky finger together at the 12th fret is ideal.

Actually us kind of the middle of my thumb on the back of the neck, it also allows me to fret with it. I've gotten firm words from instructive types along the way but that is how I've played for 20 years. I have short fingers but a big ass hand, so that is the easiest way for me to get my hand where I can stretch it. I prefer necks along the lines of the Gibson 60s "fast" but the really wide flat necks a la Jackon/Ibanez SJ/Schecters don't bother me in the least. I've never really paid attention to individual scales, I have three guitars that are wildy different. I care more about width and depth than I do about length.

For that matter I found a Schecter that I REALLY liked the other day. Neck through, solid tail, dual EMGs flamed top and only $600.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:25 AM   #937
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
I didn't realize it was an American made guitar.

Not to burst your bubble, but I'm pretty sure the USA made ones had the classic Peavey lightning bolt logo. It was a pretty short run in the USA before the economics took over and they moved it overseas. Kind of like when Peavey first offered an acoustic they were being handcrafted somewhere in Norway or Finland or.........I can't remember. Somewhere with blondes and fjords. Anyway, they were really great solid wood acoustics. And then the economics of the deal took over and they switched production to Korea or China and they became just average guitars for the money.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:04 AM   #938
Dismount
Boring bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post

And a big +1 to keeping the wrist straight. Even if you're just doing rhythm, it'll be harder and more painful with a low guitar. You'll see the guys that hang it low turn it upright (Slash and Zakk Wylde I think) when they go to do lead stuff because it's too low to do well with the guitar horizontal. Most of the absolute best players I've seen either hang it high and play great, or they have the finger length to keep it low/midway and get away with it (Paul Gilbert). You rarely see the strap all the way out and hear good playing at the same time unless it's two separate guitarists.
I definitely notice myself doing the hotdog holding position thing with the thumb parallel with the neck. i do keep the guitar high though, lower/middle chest area.

I had never tried seeing how far down i could touch pinkie and thumb, it's to right around the 12th fret.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #939
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
I definitely notice myself doing the hotdog holding position thing with the thumb parallel with the neck. i do keep the guitar high though, lower/middle chest area.

I had never tried seeing how far down i could touch pinkie and thumb, it's to right around the 12th fret.
Well I don't take my own advice on the thumb thing as I noticed last night I still do it, but you can last a lot longer if you avoid it.

Truthfully the pinky/thumb thing is just something I made up in my head to gauge neck thickness, but there might be something to it. I don't think the differences are that big at the end of the day, as it's still an artform with no best techniques. I mean, if a teacher didn't know who Marty Friedman was and saw his picking hand, they'd say he's gonna have carpal tunnel within a week.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #940
cheekymonkey
born again jackass

Oddometer: 147
amt ss-11a guitar tube preamp

Something new and shiny for Christmas;

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxU7L_UMSxQ

A bit pricey at $400, but it sounds sooooo nice!

ZOA
cheekymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #941
Dismount
Boring bastard

I can actually see an improvement in how I'm doing. I suck complete ass of course, but I was playing last night and for the first time my fingers jumped to the right fret and string without me arguing with them.

Surprised me so much I completely forgot to pick.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #942
bug67
Hazard Avoidance

Oddometer: 725
Here is my collection. I get the feeling (a lot) that my talent (or lack thereof) does not warrant such a collection. However, I contracted the disease of G.A.S. in my teens and, well, here you go!

Don't have the sunburst American Standard Strat or the '52 Re-Issue Tele pictured here. They were sold to finance vet bills. However, the American Standard Strat was replaced recently with the sunburst '57 American Vintage Re-Issue Strat pictured below. I probably will never replace the Telecaster. That guitar never really did anything for me. Been wanting a ES 335 though...

'57 American Vintage Re-Issue Strat

My "Go To" axe. Mexican Powerhouse Strat.

Check it out: http://www.vegetablesandwich.com
"If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill

bug67 screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 12:13 PM
bug67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #943
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,605
New Guitar Day

I was not going to get anything....I just wanted a boss rc3, and this just sounded so nice. I have said that I have been looking for a nice strat, but had not made up my minde yet...did not know if I wanted humbuckers or whatever....so I just had not bought yet.....but I came across this jazzmaster and really liked it....I really like the p90's that are in it. I had also thought of a Jag, but this one just fell into my hands

On to the photos....I just need to learn how to play these things better.

FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #944
GSAnderson
Wandering Swede

Oddometer: 2,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by bug67 View Post
Here is my collection.
Nice.

I played my Epi in the garage tonight. Can't afford a real ES so I built this from parts on eBbay, Stewart MacDonald and Seymour Duncan.

GSAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #945
StevG57
Rocky Mtn surf patrol

Oddometer: 247
I like guitars but don't play a lick. I know, it's kind of weird but having a daughter who's a musician gives me the excuse to buy and sell and we both end up with guitars we like. I strive to get bone stock, unmolested guitars and with the exception of the part-o-caster, they are original. All are in about 8/10 condition but they are instruments and all have been played. It's a low end collection but we enjoy them and it's fun for me.

All Parts Fender part-o-caster and Washburn WI-64

Yamaha 120SD and Yamaha SC300T

Cort and Yamaha SE110

Dean Hollywood and Jackson Outcaster

Peavey T-27

I like this thread, there are some really neat pieces out there and it's fun to see who has what. Thanks for looking!
StevG57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: