Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 87 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 05:50 AM   #991
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
It's funny how people's likes/dislikes on strings are. I personally HATE Elixirs. To me they sound dead out of the box. They might last a long time, but I don't want a dead sound for a long time. I'd rather pony up 8 or 10 bucks every month or six weeks to have my guitar sound good.

My Accoustic is an Ovation, what it lacks in tone it makes up for in sheer volume, and yeah, I wouldn't put them on a Taylor or Martin, but I'm not playing a Taylor or Martin.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:54 AM   #992
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChris99 View Post
I haven't read this entire thread, but I will. I'm 53, I've always wanted to learn to play either the guitar or

the bass. Life just seemed to go by so fast, kids, work, motorcycles, all the usual excuses. I've always loved

music and envied the guys in the band that rocked a guitar or a bass. Question, am I too old to learn to play?

Please say no. Please. Things are slowing down now, kids mostly grown and gone, so I have the time now. I

have no plans to play for anyone but me. If I can even learn to play at all.
Not too old to learn to play. Play for yourself. Play what you want. I just started last January, and a big part of the appeal to me was the challenge. It's a great brain teaser as well. Didn't take long before I was hooked. I'll probably never be a great guitarist, but I'm having a blast. And I can assure you, it beats sitting around watching tv.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #993
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercub View Post
Thanks for the info. I usualy run a pretty light string on my electric, so I will definetly play around with the size.
Keep in mind you will have to have the nut modified as well as probably have the neck adjusted when you switch to thicker strings.

As for string, you can find some really good deals if you looks. I use D'Addario XL's and got 3 packs from Amazon for $8. Ernie Ball Slinky's are even cheaper. You can also save more if you get on a subscription. Best Buy has a deal on GHS's a while back. I think a 6-pack was around $6.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #994
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Keep in mind you will have to have the nut modified as well as probably have the neck adjusted when you switch to thicker strings.
True. Most guitars take a range of strings before you really have to get into the set up.

As a general rule if the strings are buzzing (open) on the frets they are too light, if they are pulling the actions way off the fretboard (keep an eye on the 12fret) they are too heavy. On most acoustics you don't have an adjustable bridge, but it can be a bit of a headache with electrics until you figure it out.

.....THEN you notice that you actually have to adjust the guitars twice a year to keep it where you put it because the necks swell in the humid summer air and shrink in winter, both of which effect the action.

I didn't think of that one.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #995
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChris99 View Post
I haven't read this entire thread, but I will. I'm 53, I've always wanted to learn to play either the guitar or

the bass. Life just seemed to go by so fast, kids, work, motorcycles, all the usual excuses. I've always loved

music and envied the guys in the band that rocked a guitar or a bass. Question, am I too old to learn to play?

Please say no. Please. Things are slowing down now, kids mostly grown and gone, so I have the time now. I

have no plans to play for anyone but me. If I can even learn to play at all.
I agree with the others that it's never too late. I tend to think adults are more serious then kids are at playing. I agree that you'll want to learn to play the guitar over bass unless you're in a band. You'll want to decide on what you want to play though. That will dictate whether you go acoustic or electric. Also, set a budget.

Jeffy screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 10:48 AM
Jeffy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #996
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Also, set a budget.
+1

Its REALLY REALLY easy to blow used car money on Guitar shit. If I were king I can think of about $20,000 worth of gear that would immediately appear in my house.....and that is basically two guitars and a half stack.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #997
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

As an aside, is Rocksmith as cool as it looks?

I wasn't paying a lot of attention because I learned how to play years ago, but that looks about like Rockband with real instruments.

FUCK YES

I HATED Rockband because more then once I ran across songs I could play on Guitar 15 years ago....and couldn't pull it with that stupid controller.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #998
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
As an aside, is Rocksmith as cool as it looks?

I wasn't paying a lot of attention because I learned how to play years ago, but that looks about like Rockband with real instruments.

FUCK YES

I HATED Rockband because more then once I ran across songs I could play on Guitar 15 years ago....and couldn't pull it with that stupid controller.
It's pretty fun. It has some issues, but all games do.

A pair of headphones is a wonderful thing if you dont want to annoy your neighbors.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #999
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post
It's pretty fun. It has some issues, but all games do.

A pair of headphones is a wonderful thing if you dont want to annoy your neighbors.

My neighbors are a deaf dude and one of my better friends. I could crank my halfstack at 3:00am and no one would bitch.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:08 PM   #1000
BigChris99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Thank you all for your support. I'll go back to the beginning of this thread and read. Then, when I get a chance, work is

very busy right now, I'll go to my local music store and talk to them, and listen to them and some guitars and amps. Maybe

this is doable after all these years. I may finally be able to play music....... just a little..... :)

IBA#7849

1997 Honda Valkyrie, 1998 Kawasaki KLR 650
BigChris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:43 AM   #1001
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,683
Quote:
My neighbors are a deaf dude and one of my better friends. I could crank my halfstack at 3:00am and no one would bitch.
I wouldn't subject anyone to the horrible noises i make.

Rocksmith does get the guitar in my hands though. I probably piddled around for 4 hours with it yesterday.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:49 AM   #1002
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post
I wouldn't subject anyone to the horrible noises i make.

Rocksmith does get the guitar in my hands though. I probably piddled around for 4 hours with it yesterday.

I've been looking at sequencers and associated MIDI gear. I basically stopped playing for a while because without a band I had no motivation to pick it up really. I have basically no time, there is simply no way I could keep up any sort of rehearsal schedule.

So I'll record that shit and play with myself
Old 11-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #1003
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 928
Quote:
I've been looking at sequencers and associated MIDI gear. I basically stopped playing for a while because without a band I had no motivation to pick it up really. I have basically no time, there is simply no way I could keep up any sort of rehearsal schedule.

So I'll record that shit and play with myself
You might also look at Band In A Box. We use it for our local steel guitar jams.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #1004
bug67
Hazard Avoidance

Oddometer: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by bug67 View Post
After much research, this will be my next amp.
Well, I went and played one. I gotta say, for $2400.00, I was sorely disappointed. There were areas where the vinyl was pealing off the chassis. And, the noise! Electronic interference and radio station noise. Buzzing and humming noise. Pretty much unshielded, electronic, poor quality control noise. No way in hell I'm paying that kind of scratch for something that sounds like it was put together by a 5 year old.

The Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb I played on the other hand...
Check it out: http://www.vegetablesandwich.com
"If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
bug67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #1005
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,084
Me and a buddy found ourselves in a guitar shop on a single lane road in the woods yesterday. Inside, we played a Gallagher Ol Hoss. There's only 6 of them, modeled after Doc Watson's original G50. Pretty amazing sound.

If you haven't heard of Gallaghers before, they're neat. Made right here in Tennessee. Only a few thousand have been made since the beginning.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: