Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 68 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 04:27 AM   #1126
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
http://us.fsc.org/

It's to make sure the wood conforms to the Lacey Act of 1900. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacey_Act_of_1900
Oh My I should have known.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:12 AM   #1127
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Great. I have two Keeps Taking Money's, now I gotta have an FSC.
If you try to use em both at the same time I think we're gonna need video.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #1128
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
Oh My I should have known.
It's not a problem for the end user unless they plan on taking the guitar into another country. I've heard of people having issues. FSC is kind of like a proof of legal origin.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #1129
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pox View Post
Can't figger out this picture posting thing just now but here's the links to a couple pics of the '97 Gretsch Brian Setzer Nashville (G6120SSU) that I just picked up, no Christmas at Christmas time for me!!! that's ok, early is good too!!

I don't use Smugmug but you can always, Right-Click and "Copy image URL"
Old 11-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #1130
Jeffy
Hmm...

Forgot to post this deal! If you ever wanted to buy a Gibson, now's the time. There are so many good deals on 2012 models. Gibson pretty much wiped the slate clean and started over with 2013.

http://www.samash.com/p/Gibson_Les%2...%20Bag_1465106

$529.99
Old 11-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #1131
pox
no longer no bike!!!

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Forgot to post this deal! If you ever wanted to buy a Gibson, now's the time. There are so many good deals on 2012 models. Gibson pretty much wiped the slate clean and started over with 2013.

http://www.samash.com/p/Gibson_Les%2...%20Bag_1465106

$529.99

WOW!!!!
I bought on of those 60's tribute studio Les Paul's in a gold top for $850 and I thought that was a great deal!!!

pox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #1132
pox
no longer no bike!!!

Quote:
I don't use Smugmug but you can always, Right-Click and "Copy image URL"

Thank you sir!!
Old 11-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #1133
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,400
Quote:
http://us.fsc.org/

It's to make sure the wood conforms to the Lacey Act of 1900. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacey_Act_of_1900
Quote:
It's not a problem for the end user unless they plan on taking the guitar into another country. I've heard of people having issues. FSC is kind of like a proof of legal origin.
Gibson got caught violating the Lacey Act. They were raided twice in the last couple of years and all their ebony and rosewood was confiscated. The last raid was a little over a year ago. Right now they're not making any guitars with ebony. For a while there was a danger of any Gibson guitar that left the USA and then was attempted to be brought back in would be seized at customs.

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2012/A...-enrd-976.html

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...act-violations
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #1134
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMoney View Post
Gibson got caught violating the Lacey Act. They were raided twice in the last couple of years and all their ebony and rosewood was confiscated. The last raid was a little over a year ago. Right now they're not making any guitars with ebony. For a while there was a danger of any Gibson guitar that left the USA and then was attempted to be brought back in would be seized at customs.

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2012/A...-enrd-976.html

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...act-violations
IIRC it was an issue with Gibson's wood exporters. Supposedly they falsified papers. The dumb part was that India was happy to sell the wood. The reason it was an issue was because of the Lacey Act,and under the agreement the US isn't allowed to import unfinished wood endangered wood thicker then 6mm. (Finished products are OK though.) IIRC, Gibson needs 8mm for a finished fingerboard. Gibson/Henry Juszkiewicz tried to make it political and that the Democratic Govt. was against Gibson and Henry, who supports the GOP. So for 2012, they started using a bi-ply fingerboard on the higher-end guitars and anything lower then the Standard/Traditional got something else. 'Burnt' Maple, Granadello, or Obeche.

Gibson still offers ebony on a few of the Custom Shop guitars. The big complaint was with the Custom. They decided to switch that to Richlite. You can get a '57 and '54 VOS, Lucille as well as some others with ebony fingerboard. The Custom was/is probably the hottest seller of the Custom Shop guitars so that's probably the main reason. IIRC, the Ebony was from Madagascar.

The sad thing is Gibson stopped production on all of their baked maple fingerboard guitars. A lot of people complained about the use of maple but those who actually bought them tended to love them. I think it's strange that they didn't want to keep it. They did keep Granadillo on a few of the guitars though.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #1135
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,400
Quote:
IIRC it was an issue with Gibson's wood exporters. Supposedly they falsified papers. The dumb part was that India was happy to sell the wood. The reason it was an issue was because of the Lacey Act,and under the agreement the US isn't allowed to import unfinished wood endangered wood thicker then 6mm. (Finished products are OK though.) IIRC, Gibson needs 8mm for a finished fingerboard. Gibson/Henry Juszkiewicz tried to make it political and that the Democratic Govt. was against Gibson and Henry, who supports the GOP. So for 2012, they started using a bi-ply fingerboard on the higher-end guitars and anything lower then the Standard/Traditional got something else. 'Burnt' Maple, Granadello, or Obeche.

Gibson still offers ebony on a few of the Custom Shop guitars. The big complaint was with the Custom. They decided to switch that to Richlite. You can get a '57 and '54 VOS, Lucille as well as some others with ebony fingerboard. The Custom was/is probably the hottest seller of the Custom Shop guitars so that's probably the main reason. IIRC, the Ebony was from Madagascar.

The sad thing is Gibson stopped production on all of their baked maple fingerboard guitars. A lot of people complained about the use of maple but those who actually bought them tended to love them. I think it's strange that they didn't want to keep it. They did keep Granadillo on a few of the guitars though.

Do you know which current-production guitars are still available with ebony?

I would have thought the LP Custom would be but no:
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Elec...ul-Custom.aspx

I also came across this a weeks ago after the DOJ agreement:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Elec...od-Maduro.aspx

I know there's pre-raid new LP Customs with ebony sitting in stores.
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #1136
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMoney View Post
Do you know which current-production guitars are still available with ebony?

I would have thought the LP Custom would be but no:
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Elec...ul-Custom.aspx

I also came across this a weeks ago after the DOJ agreement:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Elec...od-Maduro.aspx

I know there's pre-raid new LP Customs with ebony sitting in stores.
Like I said the Custom was the one they switched to Richlite. A lot of people complained but those that got then said they were fine.

I believe these are all current models Les Paul's.

• 1954 Les Paul Custom VOS
  • 1957 Les Paul Custom 3 PU VOS
  • 1957 LP Custom 2 Pickup VOS
  • Peter Frampton Les Paul
  • Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Les Paul
  • Marc Bolan Les Paul
  • Randy Rhoads Les Paul Custom

There's also a few non-Les Paul's;

• B.B. King Lucille
  • Johnny A.
  • Lee Ritenour L-5
  • L-5 CES
Old 11-30-2012, 10:44 PM   #1137
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,424
I was going to post exactly the same thing. Not only did I think it was a pretty good deal at $850, but I had an impossible time tracking down a goldtop model, and looked for a month before I found someone that had it in stock. Back then goldtops were selling on eBay for $200 more. This is the best new guitar deal I've seen in a long time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pox View Post
WOW!!!!
I bought on of those 60's tribute studio Les Paul's in a gold top for $850 and I thought that was a great deal!!!

'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #1138
pox
no longer no bike!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
I was going to post exactly the same thing. Not only did I think it was a pretty good deal at $850, but I had an impossible time tracking down a goldtop model, and looked for a month before I found someone that had it in stock. Back then goldtops were selling on eBay for $200 more. This is the best new guitar deal I've seen in a long time!

Here's a pic of the 60's Tribute Studio Goldtop I picked up when they first came out, I wasn't expecting a whole lot out of it but these P-90's are nicely balanced and growly/snarly!!!

Old 12-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #1139
pox
no longer no bike!!!

What the heck, since LP's are on me mind!!!
if all but one had to go this would be the last one!! I bought her brand new '90 or '91, can't remember, its a Les Paul Std that was part of the limited colors editions, transparent yellow, my first decent guitar and still the best one I own!!!

Old 12-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #1140
pox
no longer no bike!!!

Just one more, my wife's heard that one too many times!!! but like they say "it's easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission"!!

I built(assembled) this one entirely from eBay except for the P/U which I bought locally, it's a TV Jones Magnatron Bridge p/u, I couldn't justify Fender's $1700 for the Cabronita so I pieced this together for under $700, the only real dicking around was trimming up the stock bridge plate to fit the P/U, contouring the Esquire pickguard and cutting out the deer antler nut, but that was the real fun !!!! the decals I also got from eBay, the only thing left to finish is to try to extract the broken off screw from the cheap ass piece of shit chinese string tree or go in right next to it with a good screw and cover up the oops!

pox screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 10:55 AM

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: