Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 82 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #106
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamala
Unfortunately Willie's guitar not only looks like shit it sounds like shit too. Saw him last summer and was (for the 1st time of many times seeing him) very disappointed. He was just going through the moves and collecting a check.
In that case, it is not the guitar that sounds bad.

He is ancient. You gotta him some slack. He has written some incredible songs.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:44 AM   #107
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamala
Unfortunately Willie's guitar not only looks like shit it sounds like shit too. Saw him last summer and was (for the 1st time of many times seeing him) very disappointed. He was just going through the moves and collecting a check.
Wonder if he is paying off the IRS again.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #108
Sabre
Pręt? Allez!

Oddometer: 10,679
Woot! My new guitar arrived in a big box this morning, delivered by a lovely young lady with a big smile on her face.

It's a Seagull S6 20th Anniversaire edition, and it's amazing. Ms Chang loves the tone and also the bling: the beautiful spruce top and matched flame maple body. The sound and action are incredible...what they say about the Seagulls being such a good value is true.

Sabre's a happy camper!

Now I gotta get busy and post an ad for the stuff from my previous life that's been languishing in a corner: the '70's Strat and Fender Twin Reverb....
Old 04-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #109
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,207
I don't know if anyone has come across this site but it is fantastic.

http://www.songsterr.com

check it out...very cool.

Also checkout www.guitarbackingtrack.com

Both are very cool sites.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #110
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
anyone have a Rickenbaker 360? How does it play? Always wanted one.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:27 PM   #111
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 5,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
anyone have a Rickenbaker 360? How does it play? Always wanted one.
I have a 360-WB and I love it. Sounds great in stereo too!

The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #112
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Commander
I have a 360-WB and I love it. Sounds great in stereo too!

NICE!

I have a 360, and it's a sweet guitar, absolutely love it. Hard to describe a Rick, I came from "fast" guitars and played rock on Strats, LP's, Jacksons, and a 360 is more like an English Roadster. A little more style than speed, but they're cool. They're very comfortable to play, no better guitar to chord on...and nothing sounds like one. A 360 through an AC-30 is quite perfect.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:06 PM   #113
MaduraMI
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
That Great Gretsch Sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72
It is not that it sounds bad, it just does not sound like I want it to sound, I like that chet atkins, brian setzer, early rock and roll type sound. And to this VERY un-trained guy that is a hollow body type guitar....they just have the sound that I like.

What I have seems to stay in tune...at least it sounds like the one on the video and the little eletronic tuner thingy says it it ok....I just want it to make a different kind of sound.
Sounds like you'd benefit from a hollow-body. The Epiphone Sheriton II, Ibanez Artcore, and of course Gretsch 5120 are all less than $700 US and will give you that Rockabilly Reverb sound.
MaduraMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #114
infoatnmmoto
with the band

Oddometer: 17,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72
I don't know if anyone has come across this site but it is fantastic.

http://www.songsterr.com

check it out...very cool.

Also checkout www.guitarbackingtrack.com

Both are very cool sites.
Very cool sites. Thanks mang!
Old 06-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #115
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,929
I've been thinking about playing again. I've got an old '96 era Peavey Pred (no humbucking like the Plus) and it's OK but my heart isn't in it. It doesn't like to stay in tune and the springs under the bridge are dead so I locked the bridge down. Never used the wammy bar on it. The springs just died. Instead of having it fixed, I'm probably going to buy a decent guitar and amp. There is some buzz at the nut so that should be replaced as well. it's cheap plastic.

I've been looking at the Gibson LP Junior. Although, for a bit more I can get the '57 Reissue LP Junior Billie Joe Armstrong which is the lowest priced reissue. Has some features that I like over the current production model. Haven't pulled the trigger but I'm really considering it. I like the warmer sound and sustain of the LP series.

I'm also looking to buy a new amp. I used to have a small Fender Frontman that I sold many years ago. It was pretty basic. I'm looking at the Marshall MG15FX which is a 15 watt amp with a 8" speaker. Seems to be fairly well liked. Has some effects built into it and some presets available.

Kind of pricey setup but I got too frustrated with the cheap guitar that I gave it up after a few years. I took it out again and was frustrated all over again.

Any opinions of this setup?
Old 06-12-2010, 06:30 PM   #116
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,200
Fresh strings on the Peavey would go a long way to helping it stay in tune. Paying someone to do a set up on it would probably fix the other issues.

Just because you pay big $$$ for a Gibson, even a historic, don't necessarily expect it to play well right out of the box. Gibsons are notorious for being poorly set up as new. And I am a Gibson guy, not a Gibson basher.

The Marshall MG would probably be an OK little amp. But it is solid state. Tube amps are much sweeter sounding. There are a million choices out there. Paying a lot of money doesn't mean is will be great.

How do you plan to play? At home? Clean? Distorted? Small clubs?

The solid state amp will be fine at home, but a 15 watt SS amp won't cut it on stage.

Check out this forum if you haven't already:

www.mylespaul.com

There is some pretty good info there. Lots of misguided info too.

The bottom line though: if an LP Jr and a Marshall MG 15 would get you excited about playing, they would both be well worth the price.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:56 PM   #117
infoatnmmoto
with the band

Anybody familiar with Art & Lutherie Ami?
On a whim I bought a parlor size online.

Like this.

infoatnmmoto screwed with this post 06-12-2010 at 07:32 PM
infoatnmmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #118
DaveBro
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by infoatnmmoto
Anybody familiar with Art & Lutherie Ami?
On a whim I bought a parlor size online.
I've played them in the shop several years ago. Nice little guitars, almost bought one. Since they're small, they don't have the big, bassy sound that people expect from say a dreadnought, but for appropriate types of fingerstyle music (country blues, old folk and pop) a parlor can be a hoot. Good for playing on the couch too. Enjoy.
DaveBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:23 PM   #119
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya
Fresh strings on the Peavey would go a long way to helping it stay in tune. Paying someone to do a set up on it would probably fix the other issues.

Just because you pay big $$$ for a Gibson, even a historic, don't necessarily expect it to play well right out of the box. Gibsons are notorious for being poorly set up as new. And I am a Gibson guy, not a Gibson basher.

The Marshall MG would probably be an OK little amp. But it is solid state. Tube amps are much sweeter sounding. There are a million choices out there. Paying a lot of money doesn't mean is will be great.

How do you plan to play? At home? Clean? Distorted? Small clubs?

The solid state amp will be fine at home, but a 15 watt SS amp won't cut it on stage.

Check out this forum if you haven't already:

www.mylespaul.com

There is some pretty good info there. Lots of misguided info too.

The bottom line though: if an LP Jr and a Marshall MG 15 would get you excited about playing, they would both be well worth the price.
Thanks!

I think I'm done with the Peavey for now. Its not the sound I'm looking for anymore. I'll probably keep it and fix it later though.

I'm planning on playing at home, clean and dirty. Nothing too fancy though. I do understand that tubes are the way to go but I haven't seen too many inexpensive sub-15w tube amps. I've only looked at the Epi Valve Junior Combo and the Vox AC4TV Combo.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #120
infoatnmmoto
with the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBro
I've played them in the shop several years ago. Nice little guitars, almost bought one. Since they're small, they don't have the big, bassy sound that people expect from say a dreadnought, but for appropriate types of fingerstyle music (country blues, old folk and pop) a parlor can be a hoot. Good for playing on the couch too. Enjoy.
Thanks for the info. Having never played one I really have no idea what to expect. I'll post some pics and impressions when it arrives.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: