Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 103 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #1261
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68deluxe View Post
I have a hand-wired Tiny Terror that I bought new without listening to one first. For the same price I could have gotten a used Marshall Tube amp with much more options. Maybe my problem is that my cabinet is a Marshall 4x12 cabinet and it "needs" a real amp.
I'm tempted to buy a new Marshall DSL-40C. I can't really use 40w but it can be switched to 20w and has a master volume. My Blackstar 5w needs to be cranked and doesn't have a master so it's loud. I want a Bluesbreaker as well but that would be a bit much.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #1262
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,568
Would I be crazy if I wanted to get one of those small Traveler (or similar) guitars to keep in my desk at work for the mindless lunch breaks when I normally just cruise the depths of craigslist? Does anyone here use those regularly?

(Also, does anyone have one they want to sell?)

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #1263
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
I'm tempted to buy a new Marshall DSL-40C. I can't really use 40w but it can be switched to 20w and has a master volume. My Blackstar 5w needs to be cranked and doesn't have a master so it's loud. I want a Bluesbreaker as well but that would be a bit much.

Those two are not much good are they
Old 01-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #1264
Chuck289
Air cooled

Oddometer: 2,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
Would I be crazy if I wanted to get one of those small Traveler (or similar) guitars to keep in my desk at work for the mindless lunch breaks when I normally just cruise the depths of craigslist? Does anyone here use those regularly?

Im typing this with a baby taylor in my lap right now. Its the only guitar I have with me in my apartment right now. It plays great, and its also nice thats it's a little quieter (thin walls here).
Old 01-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #1265
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68deluxe View Post
Did you follow the winter set-up thread?

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #1266
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
They are wood, if you live where I do in the middle, we have humidity swings from 100% to less than 5% that wood really does move around.

It was not long that I learned that some "crazy guitar people" keep their guitars in basically a huge humidor.
Minnesota. It doesn't get up to 100%, but it hovers around 80% at times. I've played a lot more recently, so the guitar has been out of the case and in the dry winter air a lot more this season.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #1267
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,213
Quote:

I bought the Taylor GS mini (in mahogany) a few weeks ago and find I take it everywhere. Great sound in a small package. And like you, I was brought up as a drummer from the time I was five. So much easier hauling an acoustic guitar around...
Old 01-10-2013, 11:38 PM   #1268
supercub
ass-less chaps rule!

Oddometer: 798
Hey, any one know anything about this company, "Archtop.com" http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...57700187,d.cGE ? I'm looking to have some work done on 1942 Epiphone triumph, and would perfer someone with experience on archtops. these guy's are in seattle, anyone ever heard of them, or know's a good luthier in the Seattle area????
supercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:32 AM   #1269
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Minnesota. It doesn't get up to 100%, but it hovers around 80% at times. I've played a lot more recently, so the guitar has been out of the case and in the dry winter air a lot more this season.
\

When I lived in Indiana and Chicago the necks on my guitars would flatten to the point that they would start buzzing by October usually, my B.C. Rich to the point that I usually had to adjust the tail to get everything back inline afterwards.

Then come spring the humidity would put all of them in "Stevie Ray Vaughn mode."

One nice thing about south Jersey, nothing has needed to be tweeked with this season. My Les Paul needed a bit of set up done, but I also hosed the bridge height polishing it up. My acoustic hasn't needed an adjustment since I moved here and the PRS hasn't been touched since I took it out of the box and did a set up on it, just need to make the blocks to fix the tremolo, I tried it, and I still hate those things.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #1270
frazman
Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Both and neither! I'm rediscovering the blues
I was thinking Helter Skelter...

Just picked me up one of these today. Traded in a Fender Jazz and a Fender RoadWorn Telecaster for it. Lightly used. Great price. Didn't even know that this model existed a month ago. Did a big swing from almost pulling the trigger on a Gretsch G6120 to this (ES-137) after doing the research and spending a few hours playing a few of them...it's like the bastard love child of the Les Paul and the ES-175.

frazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #1271
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazman View Post
I was thinking Helter Skelter...

Just picked me up one of these today. Traded in a Fender Jazz and a Fender RoadWorn Telecaster for it. Lightly used. Great price. Didn't even know that this model existed a month ago. Did a big swing from almost pulling the trigger on a Gretsch G6120 to this (ES-137) after doing the research and spending a few hours playing a few of them...it's like the bastard love child of the Les Paul and the ES-175.

Congrats! I always liked the ES series. One of these days I'll pickup an ES-335 or maybe find a used Midtown Custom.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #1272
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,523
I've got a 67 ES 175, I think I posted a pic way back in this thread.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #1273
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,568
Quote:
Would I be crazy if I wanted to get one of those small Traveler (or similar) guitars to keep in my desk at work for the mindless lunch breaks when I normally just cruise the depths of craigslist?
Update: So, I tried out the Traveler Speedster guitar. Man, that thing is neck-heavy. I guess since the body is so small, there's nothing keeping the neck up except your left hand... unfortunately, while you're trying to play. I'll keep an eye out for a used one, so if I get it, I won't feel bad for slapping some lead wheel weights onto the body.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #1274
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Oddometer: 4,552
Some of the gear I was making noise with today...

DW
Old 01-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #1275
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,852
Quote:
Update: So, I tried out the Traveler Speedster guitar. Man, that thing is neck-heavy. I guess since the body is so small, there's nothing keeping the neck up except your left hand... unfortunately, while you're trying to play. I'll keep an eye out for a used one, so if I get it, I won't feel bad for slapping some lead wheel weights onto the body.
A friend has an A/E and he says you must keep your forearm on the body to keep it balanced. He doesn't play it much but uses it while on business trips.

MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: