Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2010, 05:49 PM   #61
NJ-Bill
Life is good

Oddometer: 420
Did any of you guys upgrade the carb? I swapped-in a CRF100 carb and my TLR runs so much better. The carb and 10/50 sprockets made a huge difference.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:26 AM   #62
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Bill
Did any of you guys upgrade the carb? I swapped-in a CRF100 carb and my TLR runs so much better. The carb and 10/50 sprockets made a huge difference.

No carb swap just yet. I have a 28mm carb that I wanted to try (brand new in a box, no idea where it came from), and a carb off of a CRF150R that I want to experiment with also. 9/50 sprockets grace OJ, and lowering the footpegs helped tremendously.
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:05 PM   #63
Armadillofz1
Retarded Motardian

Oddometer: 747
where did you find 9 and 10 tooth front sprockets, i dont see anything under 12 teeth listed for the reflex or xr.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #64
chaos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
B&J Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillofz1
where did you find 9 and 10 tooth front sprockets, i dont see anything under 12 teeth listed for the reflex or xr.
These guys have the goods....

http://www.bjracing.com/tlr200.html
chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:17 PM   #65
nsu max
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Reliable
I've had this old TLR for many years now, the kids learnt how to ride on it but now they've all growed on. The bike has been sitting in the shed looking a bit sad for a few years now so I thought it was time to fix her up a bit.

A very strict budget ensured that it would never be a 'buy a new bit and bolt it on' project, everything had to be renovated and re-used. That's cool, sanding, painting, polishing and doing every bit myself was way more satisfying than just throwing money at it. And in the process I learnt how to spraypaint, how to polish aluminium, how to lace a wheel, even how to buy stuff from the other side of the planet... (Google is your friend)
The only bits I had to buy because they were either missing or irrepairable were, mudguards, handgrips, front spokes, brake shoes, chain, a wee bit of chrome and of course, paint. Came in well under $800AU.

I got a bit carried away with the work and forgot to take many progress shots so here are some 'before and after' shots.

I still need to get tyres, I think these might be the originals!, and the seat needs repair, upholstery next?

Please enjoy and I would appreciate any and all comments you may have.

Cheers,
Pete.

* A note on the paint scheme. I painted it like this 'cos I like it, I can always paint it original next time I restore it... in another 20 years.

I have a strong urge to build a cafe racer now.....
Very nice redo this is one reason I love this hobby so much to take a machine that is old, tattered, and worn and create a usable, functional and nice looking ride. BRAVO to us!!!
nsu max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:15 AM   #66
OneOff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Yeah.. BRAVO to us
Old 10-28-2010, 08:50 AM   #67
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,357
Buy the poor thing some fresh tires, then go out and ride!
ridenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:36 PM   #68
wolfhoundaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
carb swap

I'm interested in changing my carb also. I've heard of using the xr 100. and the crf 100. Any advantage to either?

quote=NJ-Bill]Did any of you guys upgrade the carb? I swapped-in a CRF100 carb and my TLR runs so much better. The carb and 10/50 sprockets made a huge difference.

[/quote]
wolfhoundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:57 PM   #69
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,357
I thought the TLR200 footpegs were too high when I first got it - they feel they are above the CG,compared to other bikes which feel like they are under the CG.The bike feels very tippy,and responds too much to weight inputs....but now I'm used to it and don't want to change.

Gearing is an issue - with 2 stroke twinshock bikes 2nd gear is used for nearly everything,3rd only for long hills,and first for some real knarly stuff.The TLR200 hasn't got the grunt to use 2nd even on small climbs,you just have to use 1st and rev the tits off it.The saving grace is that it has more traction than a 2 stroke under power,so you can use full throttle on hills.A 2 stroke of course uses the flywheels,and will climb with a shut throttle.

The TLR250 is much better,with only 5 speeds and better gear ratios you can use 2nd,and it has the grunt to pull it too.But TLR250 riders I've talked to say they just use 1st gear too.Here are a couple of TLR250's - I rode the one nearest the camera,the one behind is a works bike.

motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:56 AM   #70
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

MMmmmm, works bike.......
Old 10-29-2010, 06:36 PM   #71
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,357
Practically the same bike with an alloy tank/seat unit.And a TLR250 is almost the same as a TLR200....but completely different to ride.A Reflex is almost the same as a TLR200 too....but was down graded to a trail bike.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #72
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motu
Practically the same bike with an alloy tank/seat unit.And a TLR250 is almost the same as a TLR200....but completely different to ride.A Reflex is almost the same as a TLR200 too....but was down graded to a trail bike.

VERY downgraded.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:40 PM   #73
NJ-Bill
Life is good

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhoundaddy
I'm interested in changing my carb also. I've heard of using the xr 100. and the crf 100. Any advantage to either?
I think they are the same carb. I just happened to win a CRF 100 carb on eBay so that is what I went with.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #74
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
Mine just won first place in Beginner class with my S.O. aboard this past weekend.

That does not mean that it is in good shape, however.

Mine was built out of 3 piles of junk. I still have 2 piles left over. What do you need?
Parts left over you say? Sending PM... Might need some of yer junk :b
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:51 AM   #75
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
TLR 250 has 6 gears as does the 200. The 200 with a few simple mods is a far more effective bike than the 250, and Adrian Lewis I think will be riding a modified 200 in this years US national twin-shock championship series. Carb that seems to work very well on the 200 is listed on Ebay here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIKUNI-VM2...item43ad928f5a but do seem to be available most places in the world.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote