User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2014, 03:09 PM   #1
Mastery OP
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,033
2015 Alaska Adventure Ride Callout

This year, after ten months of intense planning and preparation, I was forced to cancel my Alaska trip just weeks before departure. Even bought my Vstrom with the purpose of riding something more suitable than my heavy Ultra Classic. Well, the new goal is to leave on June 12, 2015 and be back to work on the morning of July 6th. 24 days to do the ride, fulfill a promise to somebody special to me, and to check off a bucket list item.

Open to anybody that would like to ride along, partially or the entire way. Putting this out there now so interested others can plan with plenty of time. Leaving from the Indianapolis area; jump in/out along the route if you like. Come to my house the night before to stage for departure, or I can meet you along the way.

My basic route (things can change on the way up/down, but this gives you an idea of what all I'd like to do...Dalton, Dempster, Icefields Parkway, Salmon Glacier, four Canadian provinces, two Canadian territories, nine states, etc; each day played by ear on where to go; pictures show up to Coldfoot, but who knows...Deadhorse may be chased):

D2D isn't a big need of mine to do, but will plan into that if somebody else has it on their bucket list and would like a friend along for company.

About me: Mid 40's. Sane, sarcastic, sensible. Livin' the dream of working for a living. Wife says, "See ya, triple the life insurance before you go". Ex-smoker; meaning the campfire cigar doesn't bother me, but constantly being around someone smoking does. I like a cold beverage after a hard day's ride but can't tolerate obnoxious drunks. I work for the government; so if you are 420 friendly and carry some with you, it's your choice but you should travel with somebody else.

Been riding roads for over 30 years, not the greatest off-road but I usually figure it out. I'm not a fan of camping anymore but know it's needed on this trip so I'll do it and hold off on the complaining. This trip, motels when really needed. I plan to eat most meals at local diners since I enjoy that type of atmosphere or gas stations. Do not want to have to arrange time for campfire meals requiring three hours to prepare and cook three meals, but will carry an emergency meal for when food cannot be found. Most of my pic-taking happens on the bike with it running and takes a few seconds then on the road again.

Do like to get off the bike every hour to stretch the body, but do it quickly. No problem doing lots of miles in a single day, repeatedly when needed. Will stop and smell the roses...when the roses warrant smelling. Oh, since it's a big deal to some...I like to ride in the mornings, so usually on the road pretty early. By the time others get on the bike at 10AM, I already had a decent breakfast served by a quick-witted granny along the ride and 100+ miles done in the fresh morning air.

Know what a wrench is, but never rebuilt a motorcycle. Hate to jinx myself, but never had a flat on the bike...but have the tools and general idea how to repair one. Have more tools on my motorbikes than most people I have ever met and carry a custom EMT-level FAK and know how to use it.

Can go with the flow but have absolutely no problem with each going their own way if our desires differ too much along the journey. Firm believer in "to each their own", and have separated and rejoined others numerous times on one journey when desires conflict. The bigger the group, the slower it goes. No problems pushing people to keep on track with the goal...but sometimes others prefer to slow down their pace, and I respect the fact that sometimes people split off to ride however feels most comfortable to them.

Again, looking for anybody interested in riding along. I'm bringing a Vstrom so I posted this on the Stromtrooper site, but I could care less what you ride yourself. Wouldn't mind meeting some of you while out on the road, but as this will be a once-in-a-lifetime trip for me unless I win the lottery, I need to make sure I get up there in the time I have to do so. If I had to pick only one thing to see up there if I had to choose, that's getting to the Arctic Circle sign no matter which road it is on, but prefer getting into Alaska if possible as well. I understand that weather sucks for days at a time up there and used to riding in most all conditions.

I contacted a number of people last winter when I was looking at riding up there this year...will reach out to those in the Tent Space thread again as time gets closer to see what can be arranged along the way.

I'm ready to go today if I could. Prepared to go solo, with a buddy, or with a few others. If you wanted to do this trip but wanted somebody to go with, or your better half wanted you to have the safety of another person along or whatever reason, then here is your chance. Bring bear spray, a good attitude, and the knowledge that nothing will work out as planned (this is an a-d-v-e-n-t-u-r-e, not a trip to grandma's)...and we will get along just fine. Who knows, maybe a life-long friendship awaits us.

Sorry for the book, just throwing the basics out there. There it is. Anybody interested, let me know. I now return you to your everyday living.

Free Cash Back for Online Purchases.....One More CashBack Site
Mastery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:06 AM   #2
akadvntr
Frozen

Oddometer: 220
I am planning a round-trip ride from Anchorage to Skagway via D2D. If our paths cross going same direction, I wouldn't mind riding along. We look kinda similar in attitudes.
This year I did Florida to Anchorage (home) solo. Happy to answer any questions that might help your planning through Canada and into Alaska.

2008 KLR650 sold 1-4-14
2012 VStrom DL1000
akadvntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:38 AM   #3
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 440
Thread bookmarked. Your basic route looks good and you sound like you have it together. Tentspace in Fort Simpson, NT now has a boating/fishing/jetski option. D2D is on my list for next year. Just heading to ride for a month in Ireland but will get back to spring planning in November.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:42 AM   #4
Mastery OP
Mr. Funny Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchG View Post
Tentspace in Fort Simpson, NT now has a boating/fishing/jetski option.
Would like to go into NT, but so far the plan is to get to Fort Liard to checkoff a visit to that territory, then turn around and then head west towards the Yukon. Time restrictions would prevent a trip to Fort Simpson; but sounds like some nice options in place for the traveler that gets up there.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:07 AM   #5
smurfturd
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I just started planning a round trip ride to Denali for the same time frame, but we're coming from Houston, TX. I have to get back to work in a reasonable amount of time, so we'll be riding pretty quick. Hopefully we'll cross paths.

This is my first long distance ride, so I'll probably be on here asking some questions. I want to hit Yellowstone on the way up, but once we get north I'll probably copy your route you've laid out.
smurfturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:01 PM   #6
StrokedNBored
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Bookmarking this one.

I rode a similar route (ish) from Austin, TX in July of this year.
(in my sig line)

If the stars align, I would like to get back up for D2D next year, but it will be a stretch.
StrokedNBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:53 AM   #7
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,179
Excited for you

Your first route through the Rockies would be my suggestion. If you haven't been there you shouldn't miss it.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #8
Mastery OP
Mr. Funny Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomantra View Post
Your first route through the Rockies would be my suggestion. If you haven't been there you shouldn't miss it.
Plan to do the first pic on the way up, second pic on the way back (or some combination between the two for each direction). Gets me the Icefields Parkway in both directions, and allows me to "check off" a few more states and provinces on my overall ride map.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:05 PM   #9
cardoctor1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
if your going to cold foot might as well go the extra 240 to prudhoe.

it would be like having sex without the happy ending
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:55 AM   #10
one2ride
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
In

I am very interested. I will keep watching for up dates.

IBA #8568
one2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:19 AM   #11
Mastery OP
Mr. Funny Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoctor1 View Post
if your going to cold foot might as well go the extra 240 to prudhoe.

it would be like having sex without the happy ending
Guess it depends on what interests you. Have you seen pictures of the industrial complex up there? Getting to the Brooks Range would be fine with me too...but riding for hours across mosquito infested flat tundra, to see a bunch of buildings made from ship containers, to riding a tour bus for hours and maybe or maybe not getting a chance to step foot in a bay that connects to an ocean...no, it's not on my "need to do" list. Different strokes for different folks. Who knows, maybe my thoughts will change once I get to Coldfoot.

On my limited time schedule, I think I'd rather use that required day some place else, like seeing Denali, riding the Richardson, getting to Salmon Glacier, etc. We'll see...

Mastery screwed with this post 09-08-2014 at 05:25 AM
Old 09-08-2014, 12:19 PM   #12
sstracke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Subscribed - I'm in the planning stages of a Austin / Inuvik / Deadhorse ride for June 2015. Hope you don't mind me picking your brain, from time to time.

Never make predictions - especially about the future. Casey Stengel
sstracke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #13
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastery View Post
Guess it depends on what interests you...
i'd be looking for a single additional rider if that's the way you want to travel. three's a crowd, four is a disaster...more than four is off the charts.

jdrocks screwed with this post 09-08-2014 at 03:55 PM
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #14
sstracke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
i'd be looking for a single additional rider if that's the way you want to travel. Three's a crowd, four is a disaster...more than four is off the charts.
+1

Never make predictions - especially about the future. Casey Stengel
sstracke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:50 AM   #15
Mastery OP
Mr. Funny Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
i'd be looking for a single additional rider if that's the way you want to travel. three's a crowd, four is a disaster...more than four is off the charts.
The issue is on this type of trip is that ten people tell you they are interested, eight people actually respond to your first detail email with info, six spend a few months chatting about it, four will be there when you are ninety days out, two will be there to discuss the rally point for leaving, one may or may not actually show up. If I grabbed the first person to respond that showed interest, there's probably a 90+% chance they won't be there nine months later to head out due to something coming up along the way. A trip like this takes a lot of funds/time/arrangements in order for most people to be able to do this trip...and over that period of time, there's many things that can come up in life that derails their desired participation.

I'm fine with plenty of people expressing interest; hopefully at least one or two come along for the journey. I make it clear the pace and expectations...if things change along the way, anybody can go their own way/pace/route/whatever. Nobody is locked into doing anything, including finishing the trip together. I don't mind waiting for anybody else at a gas stop...but I'm not waiting three hours after an agreed upon departure time for somebody to wake up and not be in any kind of hurry to pack up their bike and get moving in the mornings either.

However...sometimes...things work out just right between a few people...but one doesn't know if one doesn't make the initial offer.

Mastery screwed with this post 09-10-2014 at 03:57 AM