User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
Blaise W OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Wicked Mexico to Canada and Back

Preparations are underway to ride Mex to Can this summer, July/August, following closely Big Dog's route from several years ago. I live near Tucson so the start and finish will be close to home. Made a ride with Dingweeds and Emerson Bigguns recently and one of them (forget who) said it was the best ride they ever made . Fortunately we have a good ride report to identify the blocked trails, etc.

Have one riding partner, a Brit, and his bike is in my garage being prepped for the trip. Both of us are on WR250Rs for this one as it is an excellent lite weight Adv bike.

Plans are to return via TID and spend a little extra time in UT or maybe CO. Possible to hit a portion of the TAT as well. We could expand the group to four if anyone is interested. We will do some camping and Moteling as appropriate and will have no time schedule. If interested PM me! It would be a shame not to share this ride with someone who has been thinking of it!
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:28 PM   #2
VTbeemer
Traveler

Oddometer: 302
PM to ya

Also have a bike in Tucson now. Planning some stuff for later this year kinda like this.

So many rides....

PM inbound to you.

Dan

14' R1200GSW- 93' R100GS/PD- F650GS- 94' R11RS
08' WR250R- 95 R100R- K75s- 57' R69
77' R75/7- 06' Ducati S4R Monster- 74' XL 250
VTbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
zei220
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
We still have room for one more....
zei220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise W View Post
Preparations are underway to ride Mex to Can this summer, July/August, following closely Big Dog's route from several years ago.
I was thinking aobut taking friends on it but July/Aug is a little hot in AZ, thinking of Sept/Oct.

What Big Dog did was basically the Great Western Trail. If you have his tracks they were VERY crude coming from old generation unit.

I spent 2 1/2 years scouting the GWT and now have published active logs with what I think is the best route. A preview can be seen at: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920759

Detail tracks are on GPSXchange.com

Another option for Mex2Can is:

http://mex2can.com/
Old 02-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #5
Blaise W OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
I was thinking aobut taking friends on it but July/Aug is a little hot in AZ, thinking of Sept/Oct.

What Big Dog did was basically the Great Western Trail. If you have his tracks they were VERY crude coming from old generation unit.

I spent 2 1/2 years scouting the GWT and now have published active logs with what I think is the best route. A preview can be seen at: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920759

Detail tracks are on GPSXchange.com

Another option for Mex2Can is:

http://mex2can.com/
Hi Jerry, good to hear from you (we met on the trail in AZ at Sonoita). I do have BigDog's tracks but will look over your information very carefully. I think that the Tour of Idaho has been fine tuned as well, although with loaded adventure bikes we do not plan to attempt the Challenge.

As to the heat, it should only be an issue for several days down south, so ride early! It's the Monsoon season as well, but the cooling won't offset the mud issues I'm thinking. Ya just take yur chances! Being from the South the heat does't seem to be too hard on me, but my partners are from the UK and Vermont. They may struggle a bit but if so we'll just take it easy until we get to the cool elevations. If you change your mind on schedule, let me know! September for me is dedicated to UTBDR. AZBDR next Spring.

My last attempt to access your stuff on GPSXchange was a failure, but that was years ago. I'll go back and give it another shot. If still problems, you may be getting a PM!

Ken
Old 02-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #6
Blaise W OP
Studly Adventurer

Jerry,
Now I remember. My account on GPSXchange is shown as inactive, and was shortly after I registered, and I have never been able to get back on. How do I get in touch with the Administrator to get this fixed?

Ken
Old 02-26-2014, 08:47 PM   #7
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise W View Post
Hi Jerry, good to hear from you (we met on the trail in AZ at Sonoita).

September for me is dedicated to UTBDR. AZBDR next Spring.

My last attempt to access your stuff on GPSXchange was a failure, but that was years ago. I'll go back and give it another shot. If still problems, you may be getting a PM! Ken
Ken, Wow that was when I had just started GWT. Had a big adventure the next day. I got myself in no-way sandwash heading to Tucson just like AZTom but I was smart enough to turn around. Then got trapped behind locked ranch gates. Finally undid a bottom wire and drug bike ounder fence. Then broke clutch cable. Got to Tucson and Muslemans got me going, great people.

AZBDR is basically the same as GWT except with a more eastern option up center of state. I plan on riding the different part in March and see if there any Dual Sport options. I have thread of both posted in Tracks. UTBDR merges with GWT at Strawberry Lake.

About all you can do is PM Christian about GPSX. You don't need to post track to download my stuff. I will always e-mail any files to people who have trouble. Jerry
Old 02-27-2014, 06:24 PM   #8
Blaise W OP
Studly Adventurer

All squared away on GPSXchange now. Thanks Jerry!
Old 02-28-2014, 08:08 AM   #9
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,415
Hey Ken, why not the Husky??? Wouldn't it be more fun or are you anticipating needing a lighter bike??

Hope your knee holds up for the camping!!

Sounds like a GREAT trip.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:02 AM   #10
Blaise W OP
Studly Adventurer

Richard, knee is holding up fine so far and I am doing my best to wear it out; no luck? so far! Spent weeks in the tent last summer and will do it again this year as no 5 star accommodation where we are going.

It will be the WRR as there will be some very challenging sections and the big Husky is a little more work, and just a few pounds heavier. I try to avoid dirt naps but I wouldn't count out a few on the Tour of Idaho route. Bring 'em on!
Old 02-28-2014, 06:27 PM   #11
Blaise W OP
Studly Adventurer

Looks like the dance card is full now and there should be four of us if all goes as planned. Three WR250Rs and one DRZ400 if memory serves. We have several months yet to get ready, and anticipation is half the fun!
Old 03-01-2014, 09:45 AM   #12
FlyingPickel
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hey Ken,

I found your thread, thanks. Yes, bike is a DRZ-400e.

Ron G.
FlyingPickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #13
Blaise W OP
Studly Adventurer

There has been a bit of a lull around here with too many other projects and visitors to do a lot on bike prep, but it will be happening soon. I have a box full of stuff for Dave's bike waiting to go on. Fuel programmer, Wolfman Bags, sprockets and chains, some fancy foot pegs and a jar of grease for the linkage, etc. His new tail rack is on and it's a beauty. I balanced his wheels and tires today so that's something. My bike is next. When I get going in ernest I'll post a few pics.

As for our route, I have BigDog's tracks and the Great Western Trail in one file and will be blending them a bit. The GWT looks really fine (thank you Countdown), but I think that it will add a substantial number of days if we do it all. It is going to be cut and paste to use the best of both routes. This is always a lot of fun!
Old 03-14-2014, 09:26 PM   #14
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

There is also the AZBDR option, I hope to ride it from Globe to Flag in April.
Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM   #15
Blaise W OP
Studly Adventurer

Progress on bikes and plans are being made. Out UK member, Dave, found a WR250R for sale in California and made the deal. The price was pretty good, but of course neither of us had seen the bike. The bike had done the TAT so was set up with large tank, racks, heated grips and full FMF exhaust. I drove over from Tucson to pick it up.

I suppose it is always a challenge to buy a bike in another country, especially for a long ride like we have planned. It turns out that this bike sounds like it has a good motor and no major damage or crashes, but the young man who rode it didn't give it a lot of TLC. Some of the things that needed care were just maintenance items, but some not! Forks were leaking so we had the local Race Tech company go thru suspension front to back. The tail rack was just too small so it has been replaced with a very nice item.

Sprockets and chain needed to be replaced, and while starting to do so it became obvious that a 12 tooth CSS was on the bike and that the chain had worn into the swing arm.

Never run a 12T on a WRR!!! Swing arm was still sound so I cleaned it up and JB Welded the damage. New swing arm protector was installed and I think it will be just fine.

The rear rotor had taken a hit and had to be replaced, and the front wheel was a little out so I tweaked it as much as possible before installing new tires and tubes front and back. New brake pads too. No test run yet but hope it feels good on the road. We also had a cracked left case where the shifter had punched it, so that's been replaced too. The old case had JB Weld and was holding, but not a good idea to start a long trip like that. 'Getting close to having it together enough for a ride, and that should happen tomorrow. Front wheel is the main worry for me, but we'll see. I have a brand new Corbin seat that I never used, and that is on the bike now. Much better than stock, but I do like my Seat Concepts better.

The route is being looked at now, and I've asked Tony Hugel of Backcountry Byways LLC to do some work for us on the return ride, if not some on the way up too. Tony is a wealth of knowledge and very expert at lining up a great ride with knowledge of where to camp and or find lodging and food. Between his input and that of BigDog (Mark Sampson) and Countdown (Jerry Counts) and the final Great Western Trail tracks, we should have a very nice 5 to 6 week trip! Starting mid July or maybe a few days earlier. Can't wait!

Blaise W screwed with this post Yesterday at 12:07 PM