Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2015, 12:36 PM   #1
y0y02369 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
San Francisco to Glacier Ntl Park and Yellowstone route ideas

Hey guys!

I am planning for a ride with my girlfriend and i this summer two up to yellowstone and Glacier national park. We will have a grand total of 11 days to make the trip. I plan to go straight to glacier national park from SF and then down to Yellowstone. Ideally I'd like to spend at least a whole day in each park, so two nights per park.

What i would really like help on are some good roads in the area and some recommendations of places to camp/visit/stay in along the way. I have a rough route of where i would like to go but all i am concerned about keeping are the two parks, and some good roads.

All i have planned so far is to book it to Glacier National Park so that would be about 1200 miles, so could likely do 2 600 miles days on the first two days. and then take our time a little more going back down.

Thanks in advance for any tips and help!

~Yohan

Here is what i have so far https://www.google.com/maps/dir/San+...37.3382082!3e0
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:58 PM   #2
jfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
Hey guys!

I am planning for a ride with my girlfriend and i this summer two up to yellowstone and Glacier national park. We will have a grand total of 11 days to make the trip. I plan to go straight to glacier national park from SF and then down to Yellowstone. Ideally I'd like to spend at least a whole day in each park, so two nights per park.

What i would really like help on are some good roads in the area and some recommendations of places to camp/visit/stay in along the way. I have a rough route of where i would like to go but all i am concerned about keeping are the two parks, and some good roads.

All i have planned so far is to book it to Glacier National Park so that would be about 1200 miles, so could likely do 2 600 miles days on the first two days. and then take our time a little more going back down.

Thanks in advance for any tips and help!

~Yohan

Here is what i have so far https://www.google.com/maps/dir/San+...37.3382082!3e0

You MUST include Beartooth Pass (212) around Yellowstone. 296 aint bad either (chief Joseph highway)

Also you can go to Lewsiton Id, and ride 129 south of there. a detour but great road and new pavement.

And your route goes right by Hells Canyon in Idaho so go check that out too :) Dont miss it

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero

jfman screwed with this post 01-21-2015 at 01:11 PM
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:52 PM   #3
jfman
Beastly Adventurer

129 near Lewiston:

Hells Canyon:

Beartooth

Beartooth Lake

2012 Versys 1000
Old 01-21-2015, 02:22 PM   #4
y0y02369 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Wow! thanks Jfman! My jaw literally dropped from your pictures! I will definitely make sure those three are on my list!

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2015, 03:06 PM   #5
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 8,279
Hey Yohan!

I have to agree with you; that picture of Beartooth Lake took my breath away for a moment.

Another view that did that for me was the view west off the top of the Grand Tetons. You can take the gondola to the top and walk around at 14,000 feet. This picture doesn't do it justice.

Kimberly and I liked Lizard Creek campground between Yellowstone and Teton parks. It was one of the few places where you could camp at the water's edge. For some reason, they tend to place campgrounds in gravel plats away from view in that part of the country.

Do you like trout? The best I ever had was the pistachio encrusted trout at the Mammoth Hot Springs Dining Room restaurant in north Yellowstone. The Gun Barrel Steak & Game House in Jackson, WY was pretty good too.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:14 PM   #6
jfman
Beastly Adventurer

Great picture! I missed the great Tetons National park on my trip but I do want to see it one day.

Also to OP: I am sure you already know this but the Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park is a do not miss item. Unfortunately I have not riden it because it was not opened all the way when I went there last summer. But I will come back to see it soon.

2012 Versys 1000

jfman screwed with this post 01-21-2015 at 03:24 PM
Old 01-21-2015, 03:52 PM   #7
y0y02369 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Herb! Long time man!

Great shot! I love the snow/rocky mix! Gorgeous view! They tend to close them off sadly because some people don't know how to clean up after themselves so they have to close. Unfortunate huh? I love views like these and campgrounds by the water! Thanks for the recommendations!

Didn't know about that road jfman! Definitely looks like a MUST!

Super excited already and it's 7 months away.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:13 PM   #8
jfman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post

Didn't know about that road jfman! Definitely looks like a MUST!

Super excited already and it's 7 months away.
'Merica is fookin' awesome

2012 Versys 1000
Old 01-21-2015, 04:20 PM   #9
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 8,279
Here is a picture of the Lizard Creek campground. The sites are about 100 feet walk from the parking.

This person managed to get his bike in camp, but I have no idea if that is actually allowed.

High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:08 PM   #10
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Watching this thread as I'm doing the same thing the 1st week in June.

Weird, Yellowstone is about 1200 miles from me too.
PAULIBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:27 PM   #11
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
There is too much awesome country between SF and Glacier to just haul ass there. I would spend 3 or 4 days and take it in. Spend some time off the beaten path in eastern Oregon. 395 north of John Day and hwy 7 to Baker City are both good. Work in hwy 3/129 up to Lewiston that was already mentioned. And Hwy 12 over Lolo pass for sure. Are you staying on pavement?
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:31 AM   #12
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Since you are from the Bay Area skip the stop in Lassen NP. It is close enough to you that you can get there easily on a long weekend trip. Instead get out of CA as quick as you can and spend more time in the more distant places.

395 up past Burns, OR is a good ride, but I agree that a detour through John Day and Hells Canyon would make sense. If you're going through Yellowstone, why not hit the Tetons as well.

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:20 PM   #13
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 4,150
I agree with the above. Get out of CA as fast a possible. It's a long way to Glacier. I've made this trip a couple of times. From north ID to San Fran took me 3 days each time and Glacier is another day north. I'm about a 300 mi per day rider.

Everyone from this area uses 395 to get to CA. You could go north to Red Bluff then thru Lassen to 395. I did that once and it didn't add much road time. I did waste a lot of time taking pictures.
395 is a lot of desert then some trees and dry farm lands thru WA. A lot of straight line riding. Fast and mindless. If you can do big miles this is the road.
Cross ID on I-90. I can give you some alternatives if you choose.

San Fran to Reno and 95 to CdA in ID is another straight thru route. Boring across NV. Desert in south ID and forest and valleys the rest of the way. Curvy but 60mph. Once I left north ID after work Fri and was in San Fran by early afternoon on Sat. It was brutal.

93 is the other obvious route. hwy 50 or Interstate to 93 and north to Glacier. It is not the fastest way. and a lot of boring straight line, but really nice thru central ID.

After Yellowstone do the Tetons. There are roads west at the bottom of the Tetons. Montpelior has a cool Oregon/California Trail Museum. Small roads to Malad then Snowville. Take the south west road out of Snowville to the Interstate. This is your long lonely road. Mind your fuel.
Your route thru ID down here is boring anyway. Potato and Onion fields. If you do run out thru the farmlands go south out of ID thru Mountain Home to Elko. Nice empty sagebrush cattle land. Beautiful thru here.

After crossing Going to the Sun Road. Head north and re-enter the park to Many Glaciers Hotel. Have lunch or tea on the deck. Really beautiful part of Glacier. It is the other side of Logan Pass of the Sun Road.
And you can run around the bottom of the Park to reconnect to your route.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:03 PM   #14
y0y02369 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Really appreciate the replies guys!

AlinUtah: I would love to take my time going both ways, but unfortunately i have 11 days max. If I can plan well enough to take my time going up, i certainly will! But I agree with the others to get out of California asap bc it's a weekend ride.

I will be adding some points to the route this weekend and posting an updated route! Tetons definitely looks like a place to stop!
Old 01-22-2015, 04:14 PM   #15
vaara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Burney Falls would be a nice place to stop on your way north, even if just for a snack or something. It's nice and shady, which you'll appreciate since it'll probably be blazing hot when you ride through there.