User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM   #1
De Oppresso Liber OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Ecuador: T minus 32 days and counting!

The wife and I are heading down to Quito, Ecuador in a month and renting two bikes for a week from Freedom Bike Rental. We will be riding the self-guided tour of the Pacific, Andes, and Amazon hitting all of the three major climate zones and everything in between! Sea level to 14,000 + feet!

I did my homework and found that Freedom Bike is THE place to go if you are seriously considering taking the plunge to do a fly and ride .

Here's their website: http://www.freedombikerental.com

Court Rand and Sylvain run this outfit and they have been nothing but living up to their reputation so far. Very helpful, courteous, and very timely in responding to any and all questions!

I plan on doing a ride report, which I will link here in the first post once it gets rolling. I hope to do it on the fly, but might end up being after arriving home. It just depends on how much fun I'm having!

Perhaps the best part of this trip will be meeting up with Junyah who has ridden his WR250R from New Hampshire all the way down to Costa Rica and will continue southward to meet up! I saw him off on the day he left last fall! He's got a great RR here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1014633

If you want to read more of other's travels in Ecuador, might I suggest EvilClown and Whizzerwheel's misadventures here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ntaining+rigid

And Infinitejellyd's awesome pictorial and perspective here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1043115
De Oppresso Liber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM   #2
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,620

Make sure you take the extra insurance . . . I've seen you ride

henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:49 AM   #3
De Oppresso Liber OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks, Henry.....knew I could count on you!

I am open to anyone's advice on ANYTHING as it relates to riding in Ecuador. The plan is to ride exclusively street as the wife hates getting her bike dirty . I will be on a wee-strom and her on a BMW G650GS. If she loves it enough, maybe I'll be able to convince her to let me go back another time to ride the REAL Ecuador (think dirt, trail, and off the beaten path to be able to experience the real flavor of the country away from the more populous areas).
Old Today, 07:00 AM   #4
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,804
If the fuel pump goes tits up on the BMW 650, I´ve seen mechanics here in Mexico swap out the OEM with a Ford Ranger pump. just sayin,,,
Old Today, 07:23 AM   #5
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 6,512
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:27 AM   #6
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
You are going to have a blast!!! Myself and two buddies did the 6 day offroad guided tour with Sylvan in 2013. It was an amazing adventure and I can't wait till I get back down there again for an adventure!! I agree with your statement of looking forward meeting Court and Slyvan, I felt the same why after dealing with them while setting up the trip.

ENJOY!!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:25 AM   #7
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 6,512
Hey CJ, Since you're self-guiding, (and going with Dabeed), I give you my "must see" minimal Ecuador loop for your consideration. The reason it's in two parts is because google limits waypoints to ten per map. Part two picks up where part one ends (at Laguna Colta).

1934km, ~ 1210mi riding.
Should be doable in a week, with plenty of time to soak in the places, people, food, Pilsener, and views along the way. I'm sure you can add to it.

Highlights are Mitad del Mundo, Pululahua overlook, Mindo Loma Lodge, Bahía de Caraquez, la Ruta del Sol, Santuario Blanca Estrella del Mar (Olón, aprox. 1 mi. N of Montañita, town of Montañita, Salinas, Malecón 2000 y cerro Santa Ana del Río Guayas, Parque Nacional El Cajas, Cuenca (Casa del Sol y Turi overlook), Ingapirca, Alausí (hotel Europa, overlook, naríz del diablo), Laguna Colta, Guano and Riobamba, Volcán Chimborazo, Volcán Tungurahua, Baños, Puyo, Tena, Baeza, Otavalo, back to Quito.

Que te parece?
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:33 PM   #8
princess jamaica
OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer: 2,257
+1 on Court.
Old Today, 07:16 PM   #9
De Oppresso Liber OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Hey CJ, Since you're self-guiding, (and going with Dabeed), I give you my "must see" minimal Ecuador loop for your consideration. The reason it's in two parts is because google limits waypoints to ten per map. Part two picks up where part one ends (at Laguna Colta).

1934km, ~ 1210mi riding.
Should be doable in a week, with plenty of time to soak in the places, people, food, Pilsener, and views along the way. I'm sure you can add to it.

Highlights are Mitad del Mundo, Pululahua overlook, Mindo Loma Lodge, Bahía de Caraquez, la Ruta del Sol, Santuario Blanca Estrella del Mar (Olón, aprox. 1 mi. N of Montañita, town of Montañita, Salinas, Malecón 2000 y cerro Santa Ana del Río Guayas, Parque Nacional El Cajas, Cuenca (Casa del Sol y Turi overlook), Ingapirca, Alausí (hotel Europa, overlook, naríz del diablo), Laguna Colta, Guano and Riobamba, Volcán Chimborazo, Volcán Tungurahua, Baños, Puyo, Tena, Baeza, Otavalo, back to Quito.

Que te parece?
I think I need to cross reference the highlights that you gave against what the areas that are already planned for our route. Many sound familiar Remember, we are basically going to be following the routes preprogrammed by EFBR. Doesn't mean we can't do a little a la carte exploring, but the route needs to be all paved or at least minimal easy, hard packed dirt for the Mrs.... I think no matter where we go, we won't be disappointed, but will definitely try to make it the best route possible! I think Court has the best roads mapped out for the intended travel. The video on the website looks fantastic!

I'll look at your suggestions, but tomorrow.... I'm beat! Worked last night, gym this morning, then a ton of errands and just getting back from dinner at a Brazilian guacho steakhouse! But thank you very much for the suggestions, I'm all ears!

And, if you're lucky, I'll send along a sneak teaser of the toxic Becky in St Lucia!