User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #1
fastring OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Cross country in 3 days

Going on a trip for work, from San Diego to Boston. Instead of flying like a normal person, going to pack up the NC700x and ride. Will leave Thurs at noon and would like to get to Boston by late Sunday.

Any suggestions? Needs to be interstate as its a time crunch, just figure its better to do it than to not do it. Did a 1k in 24hrs on the NC last weekend as a test. Ordered stuff based on that ride (heated grips, barkbusters, throttle lock, highway pegs). Have lots of pannier (37 Givi outbacks on side and 52 outback on top) plus the NCs frunk:) I'd love to take the KTM 990 and TAT it but no time.
fastring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:07 AM   #2
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
Well it will be doable, tiring though; you are going to have to do 3 1000 mile days in a row to make it. Is there any wiggle room to leave one day earlier and make the trip just a little bit easier?

Sounds like you are on the right track with the comfort mods to the bike, you need the ergos to be dead on to manage that many miles in that short of a time. I am sure you have figured this out already but... take a break once an hour for five or ten minutes, drink some water and walk around, maybe have a small snack. This works wonders for both helping to keep you hydrated and keeping you comfortable and alert.
Navy Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:50 AM   #3
tjt94
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Avoid I-40. Too many trucks and slow traffic. I-80 is much the same.
tjt94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:55 AM   #4
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastring View Post
Did a 1k in 24hrs on the NC last weekend as a test.
Just to let you know, big difference between one thousand mile day and doing three in a row. You won't be a "little" more tired than your test ride...you will be exponentially more tired. Hope you don't have anything important going on Monday morning. And remember, serious fatigue can easily kill you from falling asleep or not making good decisions.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:50 AM   #5
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastring View Post

Any suggestions?
Did a 1k in 24hrs on the NC last weekend as a test.
I'm with Mastery on this one.

A little Zen advice from National Geographic Traveler magazine: What’s your best travel advice? Roshi Joan Halifax: The itinerary is always subject to reality.

MY best advice would be to repeat that 1k in 24 this weekend, TWICE, and see if you're still as chipper as you would want to do it a third time.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:46 PM   #6
Dr Shafty
hero in my own mind

Oddometer: 52
+1
doing an Ironbutt rally training ride, on the third 1000 mile day I went off the road outside of Jackson WY, heading up into the Tetons. Cured me of endurance rallying.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:48 AM   #7
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,428
It's 44 hours of actual seat time.

I'd take Interstate 40.

Four 11 hour days of seat time. I'd go about 10mph over the posted speed limit. Leave at 6am each day and stop before dark. Snack/hydrate at each gas stop. Have a nice meal and rest at the end of each day. I wouldn't ride after dark, I wouldn't try to make up time by too much speed. Steady and safe will win this race. Four 750 mile days is a hard slog but doable.
Three 1000 mile days is a REAL stretch. You'll need 15 hours seat time each day, that's about 16 or 17 hours of work, 6am to 11pm!

TUCKERS screwed with this post 09-13-2014 at 01:04 AM
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:19 AM   #8
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,782
You are not going to be happy !
This is the reason the Wright brothers invented airplanes.

What's plan B for crappy weather ?

acejones screwed with this post 09-13-2014 at 09:34 AM
acejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:53 AM   #9
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,989
It's certainly doable but you won't like it. I suggest you bring the title with you so when it's time to ride it back to CA you've got the option of selling it and buying a plane ticket. 3 back to back 1,000 mile days is tough duty.
Best of luck.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #10
rallykazoo
Dummy

Oddometer: 37
I have done the San Diego to Northeast drive in 3 days twice now. It was pretty miserable in a car, I could never do it on a bike!
rallykazoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:27 PM   #11
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,782
Once------I just didn't know
Twice-----I need help.
Three times----Just kill me.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:39 PM   #12
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 593
I rode cross country last summer. We had some strong crunch days, between 600-700 miles. With gas /banos /food stops, even if you haul ass during the breaks, you won't average much more than 55mph through the process. 1000 miles each day is a true bitch.

I'm all for being a bad ass and testing myself, and you probably wouldn't believe some of the things I have done if I told you. BUT, I'd say that trying to do a trip like that in 3 days crosses over the line from bad ass, to dumb ass.

Not trying to be rude, just saying that you probably don't want to take this on. The gentleman who suggested the 4 days @ 750 miles a piece is on the money. That's sure as hell still a trip worth being proud of.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:01 AM   #13
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 271
Get on a damn plane and call it a day. Or crash early !
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:00 PM   #14
fastring OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
technically, its 4 days, just the first day starts at noon. I will leave Thurs at noon and attempt to get there by Sunday eve. If I need another day, so be it, but will try for Sunday.

Good advice on the time of day, I will give that a try, also with the snacks and drink breaks.

My daily commute is 150 miles and I feel that this is doable. Been wanting a long cross country ride and with other obligations, this is really the only way its going to happen. I am guessing its about risk mgt, just as I ride full armor suit, neck brace, full face helmet and hard boots, I understand others that commute with much less ATGATT.

Wanted to try this early in the summer but didnt have the saddle time, rain gear or the lower maintenance bike. At the end of the day, i regret not just giving it a try last time. I made a mistake making excuses for not taking the trip and dont plan on another regret.
fastring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM   #15
spierson1337
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Stay hydrated! Maybe bring a Camelbak if you aren't going to be resting often. Dehydration + fatigue on a bike is no bueno.
spierson1337 is offline   Reply With Quote