User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #1
multiphrenic OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Toronto to Duluth along Lake Superior

You guys were great last time, so I will try you again once more.

I'm leaving Monday and have 9 days to get to Duluth from Toronto and back. 2-up trip on a Tiger 1050, staying in motels and the such along the way

So far I have the trip going counter clockwise like so, pretty rough itinerary with nowhere to be on any certain day, apart from making it home by the 14th.

July 6. Toronto to Alpena
7. Alpena to Marquette
8. Marquette to Duluth
9-10. Stay in Duluth
11. Duluth to Thunder Bay
12. Thunder Bay to Wawa
13. Wawa to Tobermory via Manitoulin Island / Ferry
14. Tobermory to Toronto.

Was planning on riding until we're tired and then booking something along the way instead of trying to rush to get somewhere or stopping when we still feel like going.

If you guys see any issues with the route or have any great road recommendations that I missed it, let me know. Great spots to eat in any of the towns along the way, and good places to sleep are also highly appreciated.

Cheers
Old 07-04-2015, 03:09 PM   #2
LittleMac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
You really owe it to yourself to ride the Adams trail H58. I took almost the exact route your taking .
Enjoy and safe journeys!
LittleMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:58 PM   #3
multiphrenic OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMac View Post
You really owe it to yourself to ride the Adams trail H58. I took almost the exact route your taking .
Enjoy and safe journeys!

thanks! looks like a nice route, will be adding that in.
Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM   #4
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 467
multiphrenic

You might want to take a look at Bryan's RR and GPS file of a trip around Lake Superior.

Here's a link to the file http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798771

I'd suggest that you take a trip up to Whitfish point and the museum there.
A trip up the penninsula to Copper Harbor is worthwhile as well.

I'm in Sarnia . Give me a pm if you want to stop on the way by.

I making a liesurly loop around Superior myself but leaving Sat July 11 from th Soo in Mi.
TCAT Ride Report .
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825909

OldSilverFox screwed with this post Yesterday at 05:11 PM
OldSilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:49 AM   #5
boatpuller
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 687
1. On the northern part of your trip, Nipigon, detour north to Beardmore, and than back down to Nipigon. You'll ride past amazing fjords on that couple hour detour. (I had to miss that myself due to a highway closure from a fatal bicycle accident, but it was on my list and was very highly recommended.)

2. In Thunder Bay, there is a downtown historic hotel, the Prince Arthur, that I highly recommend. It's not the typical biker hotel, as it's a historic "high rise" in the middle of town a block from the lake, but upon check in they gave me a logoed microfiber towel for my motorcycle. What class. The restaurant had the best food I enjoyed on the whole trip, and some of the best I've had period. And it was affordable to boot.

3. Local Harley Dealerships. Even if you are not riding H-D, you are a motorcyclist, and the folks in these dealerships are familiar with the area, and used to traveler's needs. I find some of the best local information from workers at these dealerships, either the rental counter or the front desk. The one in Thunder Bay was exceptional! The gals there went above and beyond. I was asking about hotels in Nipigon for that night, and they explained that there were a few little motor inns, and two they thought were nicer. Then they called those hotels to see about vacancy, and learned about the highway closure. Based on that they suggested I consider staying in Thunder Bay, as there was not much between TB and the closure. Then suggested the Prince Arthur, and told me to use their name for a good rate. Followed up with "as long as you're going to be in town for the afternoon, here are a couple of rides to consider." Absolutely fantastic ambassadorship to the area from that dealership.

4. The north shore highway has no shoulders you'll want to take your cycle on. They are steep and gravel all the way to the ditch. So, your wife may want to practice taking photos on the move. Also, in-between civilization, there is a lot of areas with no fuel or services.

5. Duluth is a cool town in the summer, (and a cold one in the winter!) It's got a nice artist and foodie district. If you get a hotel near the down town/draw bridge to the yacht harbor, then you can walk to many interesting and fun places. And it also has Aerostich Factory, which you should certainly visit. I really liked the town, and could see RV'ing there in my retirement for part of the summer.
boatpuller is online now   Reply With Quote