User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2014, 09:20 PM   #1
shadhardman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Seattle to Chicago

I'm thinking of heading out on a whim Seattle to Chicago (I have business there on Tuesday). It would be my first long ride, am I crazy?

Other than oil, fuel, Tent, dry clothes, water, emergency food, what do you guys recommend for spares for the trip? My EXPs have 2000 Highway miles left so I'll need new tires in chitown i know.

Fyi, I'll be hoteliering it unless forced to camp.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:18 PM   #2
portablejohn
Banned

Oddometer: 944
I carry a very light sleeping bag, hammock and tarp. Bug dope and a towel. Some water. I watch the weather on my phone. Credit card. Sleep, ride, eat, ride, eat, ride, sleep.
portablejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:04 AM   #3
NZRalphy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Now you need to start building your small kits of parts you take on bike journeys. Small torch, webbing strap to tie or tow your bike, bike cover for parking outside a hotel, tape. Puncture repair kit. First aid kit. I have a few small bags of tools and bits........ and I know full well my mates bring nothing cos I have it all. I'm happy with that
NZRalphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:13 AM   #4
XtreemLEE
Member #476

Oddometer: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadhardman View Post
I'm thinking of heading out on a whim Seattle to Chicago (I have business there on Tuesday). It would be my first long ride, am I crazy?

Other than oil, fuel, Tent, dry clothes, water, emergency food, what do you guys recommend for spares for the trip? My EXPs have 2000 Highway miles left so I'll need new tires in chitown i know.

Fyi, I'll be hoteliering it unless forced to camp.
I travel between Boise and Wisconsin often so here:

Ride hard... seriously hard I make the one way trip in two days (back to back 1K days...)

I don't know your fuel distance but gas stations can be a bit sparse, my rule is fill once over 100 miles on my 200 mile tank. I carry emergency fuel.

If you go through Montana and North Dakota its the most scenic of the superslab routes, but hotels in the Bakken are (can be) expensive. Plan ahead and try to stay in small towns or camp. I hate paying $125 for a room and shower I use for eight hours.

Speed... In the deserts and plains you can make some time but some areas have more enforcement than others. Use common sense, slow down around metropolitan areas etc.

Take a short cut through Yellowstone and past the Tetons its awesome...
"And the freedom of speech we try to defend goes to the core of one of my very deepest beliefs: the best information is uncovered with open, spirited debate. Better to grow thicker skin than to risk repressing information--just ask John Adams and Thomas Jefferson." Chris Macaskill
XtreemLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:11 AM   #5
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,646
You're riding a nice, BMW motorcycle to Chicago?

Stay out of the south side, keep your powder dry and mind the Chicago police...they can be tough on motorcyclists.

Where in Chicago is your business? I grew up in the No. suburbs and used to work in the BOT building, Jackson at LaSalle.

Chicago was my favorite big US city at one time.

Now? I would avoid Chicago like a disease. There are a dozen murders in Chicago in a given weekend. If you are in the wrong neighborhood at the wrong time, they'll shoot you and take your motorcycle.

Stay safe.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:09 PM   #6
XtreemLEE
Member #476

Oddometer: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
If you are in the wrong neighborhood at the wrong time, they'll shoot you and take your motorcycle.
"And the freedom of speech we try to defend goes to the core of one of my very deepest beliefs: the best information is uncovered with open, spirited debate. Better to grow thicker skin than to risk repressing information--just ask John Adams and Thomas Jefferson." Chris Macaskill
XtreemLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM   #7
shadhardman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Plainfield, IL not Chicago proper. Thanks for ask the help. Didn't do it this time but maybe next month.