Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #15154
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Hey Mike!

JD sure liked that moto! Do you think it may have been faster than his Harley?
Good one!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:37 PM   #15155
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,084
Wring it out, boys. 'Til it's bone dry.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:24 AM   #15156
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,678
Here is a paragraph from an email sent to a ADV friend. You might find it interesting.

When I returned home from this last trip, I owned five motos on which I had ridden over 429,000 miles! Three of them have since been sold. The Goldwing, with 242,000 miles speaks for itself. It carried Sheryl and me all over the USA and Canada, much of the time pulling a trailer. The KLR650 with over 87,000, is the most significant moto, because it opened up to me Dual Sport riding, the Trans America Trail, Adventure Touring, and most importantly ADV, which has changed my riding career beyond belief! The R1100GS with 82,000 miles by me, introduced me to a moto fully capable of two up Adventure Touring on less than ideal roads. It also taught me two up touring motos don't have to weigh 850 pounds! It was my first moto with a decent suspension! I had not realized what a poor suspension the Goldwing and KLR had before riding this bike! The KLX250S has shown me the advantages of a light weight machine with a very good suspension. The little 250 was the most difficult moto for me to sell, but it won't fit into the future for me. The KTM 990ADV is the most difficult for me to explain, It is not the most reliable of the motos I have owned, it is not the most comfortable or the most powerful, it is not the lightest, but it does have the best suspension. What it does provide is an Adventure Touring moto with substantial capability when the going gets tough! And, it puts a bigger smile on my face that any other moto I have ever owned! I think they call it "drinking the orange koolaid"! hahaha

The three motos sold are the Goldwing, KLR and the KLX. Plus, I am willing to part with the R1100GS. The GS would make a perfect "I want to go to Mexico, but not on my new moto" moto!

dwj - Donnie screwed with this post 05-07-2013 at 06:37 AM
dwj - Donnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:24 AM   #15157
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Here is a paragraph from an email sent to a ADV friend. You might find it interesting.

When I returned home from this last trip, I owned five motos on which I had ridden over 429,000 miles! Three of them have since been sold. The Goldwing, with 242,000 miles speaks for itself. It carried Sheryl and me all over the USA and Canada, much of the time pulling a trailer. The KLR650 with over 87,000, is the most significant moto, because it opened up to me Dual Sport riding, the Trans America Trail, Adventure Touring, and most importantly ADV, which has changed my riding career beyond belief! The R1100GS with 82,000 miles by me, introduced me to a moto fully capable of two up Adventure Touring on less than ideal roads. It also taught me two up touring motos don't have to weigh 850 pounds! It was my first moto with a decent suspension! I had not realized what a poor suspension the Goldwing and KLR had before riding this bike! The KLX250S has shown me the advantages of a light weight machine with a very good suspension. The little 250 was the most difficult moto for me to sell, but it won't fit into the future for me. The KTM 990ADV is the most difficult for me to explain, It is not the most reliable of the motos I have owned, it is not the most comfortable or the most powerful, it is not the lightest, but it does have the best suspension. What it does provide is an Adventure Touring moto with substantial capability when the going gets tough! And, it puts a bigger smile on my face that any other moto I have ever owned! I think they call it "drinking the orange koolaid"! hahaha

The three motos sold are the Goldwing, KLR and the KLX. Plus, I am willing to part with the R1100GS. The GS would make a perfect "I want to go to Mexico, but not on my new moto" moto!
What?? No Harleys!
Old 05-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #15158
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Thumb BACK TO THE THREAD - Is Mexico safe?

Yes, Baja is safe. We are half way done with our trip from Sacramento to Cabo San Lucas and back (24APR-16MAY).
We crossed the border at Tijuana without a problem at all. We've mostly been on MEX 1, but we've also been off the highway to Meling Ranch, the observatory, Bahia de Los Angeles, San Ignacio, Cabo Pulmo, and some other spots. We found fuel where we needed it without sweating it too much. One time we found only green (86 octane), not red (92 octane), but the bike ran fine. TKC80? Have new ones before your trip. NO TKC80s will be found in Baja. Pirelli Scorpions, Maxxis and some Dunlops is all you might find. The Yamaha dealer north of Cabo on the Todos Santos highway has an old hard Scorpion front tire for $1430 pesos (about $120) and in La Paz the moto sports dealer has some others. If you want to replace a TKC80 in Baja, you'll have to get it shipped down to you. The highways are often rough chip seal and they eat TKC80s, especially when you unexpectedly encounter (and brake for) the damned topes. Put on Heidenhaus if you want some off road capability and highway mileage. Bienvenidos a Baja.
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #15159
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Fritz View Post
We've mostly been on MEX

Bienvenidos a Baja.
buen informe (good report)

Your profiles indicates you're on an 1150

Keep in mind - no pics - didn't happen
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #15160
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
What?? No Harleys!
Since JD is getting a new Water Buffalo, do you think he might trade me that old 1200GSA for this well trained 1100GS?
dwj - Donnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #15161
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
The Wild Bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Great Clip Trice! Screenwriter Walon Green whom you hear at the beginning of the clip won the Documentary Academy Award for the "Hellstrom Chronicle" at the 1972 Oscars. I worked with him on documentaries early in my career and bought my first sailboat from him at a cocktail party. The price was very fair but the hitch was that it was sitting on a trailer in a boat yard in Ensenada... hence my first trip past the border in 1973 to pick up a boat I had never seen at a location drawn on a cocktail napkin, fortunately there were no TVIP's or other documentation required! I was concerned that I would find the boat converted into a chicken coop but all was fine, it was in great shape and I enjoyed that little sloop until I sold her in 1987. Wally has had a great and interesting career. Google him.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #15162
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

That's just plain cool, RMO.

Like a fine wine this thread keeps getting better with age.

Speaking of which, Parras pix coming soon.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 05-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #15163
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Since JD is getting a new Water Buffalo, do you think he might trade me that old 1200GSA for this well trained 1100GS?
Trade? No.

Sell? Let's talk.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #15164
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Screenwriter Walon Green whom you hear at the beginning of the clip won the Documentary Academy Award for the "Hellstrom Chronicle" at the 1972 Oscars.
Whoa! I remember seeing that flick about insects taking over the world, no?
Geez, that's from the afro and bell bottoms days. More fashion accidents per hour than Schizz dressed for speed record riding. LOL!

Donnie, if you draw the locale of the well trained and fed GS1100 on a cocktail napkin, someone might venture into Mexico to buy it!
Old 05-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #15165
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
....bought my first sailboat from him at a cocktail party
Look who's been livin' large

I bet the dingy on your sailboat is bigger than Spielberg's yacht
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote