ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #15211
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer
 
pilot815's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Deep South Texas
Oddometer: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Hey Pilot, they do run way better with gas in the tank. I've found out a few times that hard way that the mileage of the KLR drops extremely fast at high speeds on the highway, by well over 30%.
Yeah I've noticed that too. In this case however, I went to fill up and didn't fill it all the way, but I cant remember why. Maybe because I knew I was going to be removing it for maintenance. However due to weather and other things I haven't been riding it, and I forgot about that. When I had a million possible reasons for it to stop running going through my head, I never thought it would be out of gas at 130 miles, about 70 short of when I usually fill up. I just decided to flip the reserve on and sure enough, it worked!

Sent from my Samsung Note 10.1
__________________
2009 KLR650
pilot815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #15212
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer
 
pilot815's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Deep South Texas
Oddometer: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Pilot has been in Mexico too long. He doesn't understand speed limit signs anymore. The only understands topes!!
He asked me if I paid attention to speed limit signs. I looked at him and said "sure, when the police are around." It's worked well thus far, I have only been pulled over once and it was like 8 years ago.

Sent from my Samsung Note 10.1
__________________
2009 KLR650
pilot815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #15213
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 7,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Pilot has been in Mexico too long. He doesn't understand speed limit signs anymore. The only understands topes!!
Hey! 110 is 110, right??
__________________
'09 WR250R, '14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin"

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #15214
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 7,066
1) The speed limit depends on your suspension. I has ESA!
2) Large vehicles and expensive vehicles have the right of way. You can break traffic laws. Laws of physics? Can't even bend those.
3) No slowing down or stopping for pedestrian, that could cause a serious accident. Ride through the obstacle.
4) No drinking and driving, unless it's a holiday or weekend and everyone else on the road is also drunk! Merge into and blend in with traffic.
__________________
'09 WR250R, '14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin"

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #15215
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer
 
RW66's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Central Mexico
Oddometer: 172
[QUOTE=SchizzMan;21369120]LSBMW says January but I think we'll see it when we see it. I intend to wait for a color I like anyway. Some say yellow is the fastest.

Yes, yellow is fastest!!!!!!! I know cus my yellow tiger is faster than my green KLR
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #15216
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer
 
RW66's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Central Mexico
Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Hey! 110 is 110, right??


I was stopped in the state of Chihuahua and FAILED my test.....the cop asked me if I knew how fast the speed limit was?.....I told him that when he was around it was 120......he informed me that I was NOT correct.....there was NO 120 speed limit in the whole State of Chihuahua...I wanted to argue with him because I never get stopped at 120+ when he is not there!!!!!

Have you ever seen a real "get out of Jail free" card.....the last time I got my DL renewed I asked the lady if she would let me keep my old license.....she asked me why, and I explained the law here in Mexico is that if you get stoped you give them your license and they give you a citation and then you have to go in and pay to get it back......long story short......she gave me a sweet smile and gave me back my old license.......

Is Mexico Safe??????
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #15217
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 7,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW66 View Post
I was stopped in the state of Chihuahua and FAILED my test.....the cop asked me if I knew how fast the speed limit was?.....I told him that when he was around it was 120......he informed me that I was NOT correct.....there was NO 120 speed limit in the whole State of Chihuahua...I wanted to argue with him because I never get stopped at 120+ when he is not there!!!!!

Have you ever seen a real "get out of Jail free" card.....the last time I got my DL renewed I asked the lady if she would let me keep my old license.....she asked me why, and I explained the law here in Mexico is that if you get stoped you give them your license and they give you a citation and then you have to go in and pay to get it back......long story short......she gave me a sweet smile and gave me back my old license.......

Is Mexico Safe??????
That's great!

My drop wallet contains my expired DL, handed back to me intact by the female trooper after telling her the exact same thing.
__________________
'09 WR250R, '14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin"

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #15218
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: South east Mexico
Oddometer: 3,782
And then there comes that fateful day when the same cop stops you again.
Would you knowingly hand a US cop an expired licence?
Does having an expired licence give you the right to first break a law and then let you escape paying the fine?
If you are breaking the law and you get caught, admit it, you'd be surprised at how often you will get a warning which you will then accept as the price you pay. I remember someone once posting they were going to get a card printed up that said something to the effect they would call the embassy or something equally as dumb.
If you have been stopped for a bogus infraction, resist the shakedown and dig in for a battle of wills and don't yield. If you have been stopped because you knowingly broke a law, plead your case and if the outcome is not favorable, pay the fine. If you have been stopped because you unwittingly broke the law, plead your case to the cop.

Handing over an expired licence to a cop who just might be able to read and understand the licence is expired, means you better be prepared for him handing it back and asking for a valid licence. Have you thought that part through?

Don't even think about trying it with a federale de caminos.
I have ridden with people on this forum and I have knowingly broken traffic laws, but I also have thought things through to what I will say if stopped in each case. Schizz will remember two shortcuts that were taken and the kind gesture on the part of a young federale who saved us a good half hour or so of waiting, because we spoke to him with respect and did what he instructed.

The expired licence is a card you may as well forget about playing in the Tampico area. They are doubled up there in pairs now and they can read a licence according to the last rider I know who got stopped there.

Do what you want, but think it through. And don't go whining if you get caught and don't go boasting about how you outsmarted a Mexican cop by commiting another crime.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #15219
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kiko's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Jalisco, Mexico
Oddometer: 1,360
That pretty much sums it up.
__________________
Conmigo piscas, y no moloncos.
Kiko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #15220
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwj - Donnie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: On the Road or Mexico
Oddometer: 12,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
I have knowingly broken traffic laws.

OMG!!!! I don't know if I can ride with you anymore, I don't want to be a criminal!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:42 PM   #15221
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 7,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
And then there comes that fateful day when the same cop stops you again.
Would you knowingly hand a US cop an expired licence?
Does having an expired licence give you the right to first break a law and then let you escape paying the fine?
If you are breaking the law and you get caught, admit it, you'd be surprised at how often you will get a warning which you will then accept as the price you pay. I remember someone once posting they were going to get a card printed up that said something to the effect they would call the embassy or something equally as dumb.
If you have been stopped for a bogus infraction, resist the shakedown and dig in for a battle of wills and don't yield. If you have been stopped because you knowingly broke a law, plead your case and if the outcome is not favorable, pay the fine. If you have been stopped because you unwittingly broke the law, plead your case to the cop.

Handing over an expired licence to a cop who just might be able to read and understand the licence is expired, means you better be prepared for him handing it back and asking for a valid licence. Have you thought that part through?

Don't even think about trying it with a federale de caminos.
I have ridden with people on this forum and I have knowingly broken traffic laws, but I also have thought things through to what I will say if stopped in each case. Schizz will remember two shortcuts that were taken and the kind gesture on the part of a young federale who saved us a good half hour or so of waiting, because we spoke to him with respect and did what he instructed.

The expired licence is a card you may as well forget about playing in the Tampico area. They are doubled up there in pairs now and they can read a licence according to the last rider I know who got stopped there.

Do what you want, but think it through. And don't go whining if you get caught and don't go boasting about how you outsmarted a Mexican cop by commiting another crime.
But it's good to have in a DROP WALLET with a few peso and dollar bills. I don't carry a drop wallet for the police. I want someone to see the DL and think its my real wallet. I also don't carry photocopied/laminated fake DL's for the reasons you mentioned. In the five or six encounters I've had with Mexican police over the years I've never had to break any laws to resolve a matter. THEY did, however.
__________________
'09 WR250R, '14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin"

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 09:27 AM Reason: can't make it any clearer than this
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:31 AM   #15222
Bato
Studly Adventurer
 
Bato's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: TEJAS
Oddometer: 908
Hey Shizz how many times have you being robed in Mexico you say you love Mexico and you tell every one about your freaking drop off wallet are you saying that You go to Mexico and fool the people here ...remember when we went to Monclova and left the bikes parked at my mothers and you asked me if they where safe there quit that. Nobody in Mexico wants your shit amigo
If you want to fool a cop do it In tejas

Heading to Benito Juarez International in a few

Bato screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 01:38 AM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:14 AM   #15223
Bato
Studly Adventurer
 
Bato's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: TEJAS
Oddometer: 908
Anyway whats the diference between a transito asking for a mordida and a gringo laminating DL at his Casona are they ass holes different color? Or are they both stinky dark
Culos prietos
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:51 AM   #15224
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 7,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
Hey Shizz how many times have you being robed in Mexico you say you love Mexico and you tell every one about your freaking drop off wallet are you saying that You go to Mexico and fool the people here ...remember when we went to Monclova and left the bikes parked at my mothers and you asked me if they where safe there quit that. Nobody in Mexico wants your shit amigo
If you want to fool a cop do it In tejas

Heading to Benito Juarez International in a few
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:15 AM   #15225
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 7,786


"Oh, the ironing"
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014