Oddometer: 7,786
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #15258
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Campgrounds died out due to development of land and the years of bad image that the state has suffered with the narco violence idea being punted around by RV people. RV people are a different breed of tourist but sadly, some regions of Mexico have not learned how to bring them in.
There are very few Mexican RV people, they are 99% gringo. No local market means tough times in some areas.

Electricity in Mexico is sold at a price depending on how the area is designated. There is no one set fee for electricity. Our home bill is literally 20 times more expensive than my wife's office practice bill. It is insane, but that is the way it is. If you live in a normal suburb, you subsidize the electrical bills of other people. End of story. You have to have the CFE (federal electrical commission) put a meter on the connection and they bill you. Don't expect stellar service unless you happen to have a $1,000 pesos or so you can slide to the guy who is going to do the hook up.
And that is the cheap end. A lot of people run an illegal wire connection and you can see posts with about 100 of these taps hooked in.

You'll always find a place to park an RV, but it might not always be what you want or have thought of.

I ran across several RV parks along the Costa Esmerelda; according to that map that I saw there are (or were) a ton more.

I saw one or two US-style travel trailers when I was there but mostly what they had were bunches of young couples with kids who were tent camping. At one place where I stopped in the swimming pool was standing room only!

There are also supposed to be some places around Monterrey (resort hotel with some RV hookups) and Victoria. I have spoken to one of the places in Victoria and they were taken over by a strict Christian religious group for use by their missionaries and while I was told that I was welcome I could see potential issues ;)

San Carlos, Alamos, and Mazatlan had big gringo RV communities back when I first got seriously interested, almost 15 years ago. I know that some of that still exists.

Anyway, the #1 issue is that basically none of the Mexican RV parks have standard US-style 50amp hookups. Very few have 30amp hookups. And I have been warned repeatedly about testing any 30amp hookup first because they are easily confused with another type of appliance plug and that causes disastrous results.

The vast majority of the hookups that I see in Mexico are the standard household 120volt connections and that doesn't go very far, especially since there is a trend in the USA towards all-electric usage and reducing dependence on propane for cooking and heating.

A lot of RVers used to generate their own power but since the Perkins diesel in my old motorhome burned about 1.5 gallons an hour a rethink is in order.

I noticed that Honda is pushing some new generation gasoline generators that wire two smaller units together for extra power when you need it and I thought that was pretty clever. That way you only run one unit at non-peak times.

Anyway ... I have kicked around everything from building my own modular structure that I could put along the coast of Mexico somewhere to buying a huge toy hauler trailer to buying a smallish toy hauler that would be closer to camping. The only thing that I know right now is that whatever I take traveling in a year or two is likely to be quite different from what I use in the oil patch or as my primary residence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #15259
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
I saw one or two US-style travel trailers when I was there but mostly what they had were bunches of young couples with kids who were tent camping.
Those kids you refer to are in their thirties now
Old 05-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #15260
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Those kids you refer to are in their thirties now
Used to be you would see a lot of trailers and RVs in convoys here. But that was then and this is now. The beach front lot at Mocambo used to be full.
Those days are gone.
A little Honda generator can be serviced locally, they've got them in stock and sell them at the Honda dealers here.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #15261
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
I stumbled on Tuxpan a few years ago and thought it was just a really lovely nautical city
When was this?
Old 05-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #15262
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Used to be you would see a lot of trailers and RVs in convoys here. But that was then and this is now. The beach front lot at Mocambo used to be full.
Those days are gone.
A little Honda generator can be serviced locally, they've got them in stock and sell them at the Honda dealers here.

Is that around the area of the Hotel Mocambo in Veracruz?

When I rode to Mazatlan in 1999 I met a group from the Foretravel owners group that were leaving the country. Today, Foretravel is barely in business, the owner's association is no more as far as I know, and extensive group travel by RV in Mexico is a memory. However, being the contrarian that I am it probably won't keep me from going to several places and camping out for a few months and riding.

I appreciate hearing your comments about the Honda generators and that they can be maintained in Mexico. They are super popular here in the oil patch and I know, from experience, that they are about the easiest to get started. I have a 6kw gasoline generator and I have been looking at diesel generators and possibly generator/welder combinations for my diesel truck. I might have to look at some hybrid solutions to keep everything running but that's a bit down the road. With my Wanderlodge I had two RV battery chargers wired so that they could be quickly connected to a pair of 120volt extensions and the Inverter from Hell, but with the limited battery capacity of that generation Wanderlodge I could barely run the lighting, never mind air conditioning.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #15263
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
When I rode to Mazatlan in 1999
February, 1998, on your Pancho Villa tour with Skip's guides
Old 05-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #15264
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
February, 1998, on your Pancho Villa tour with Skip's guides
Either my memory is faulty or your Cliff Notes from Skippy is wrong. Riding my 1998 model R1100GS that I picked up in Daytona Beach late in 1998. So it would have been early 1999 and my recollection was that it was in January. Since I married my (at the time) girl friend in Las Vegas when I got back I oughta give her a ring and ask her when our anniversary was but I am pretty sure that it was February of 1999.

But thanks for keeping tabs on me. A little creepy, but fun remembering just the same.

ADDED:

Those were some great times. Took no crap from Skippy, learned to love Mexico, and got caught in a freak snowstorm on the way to Flagstaff. A week later we were touring the closest town to Area 51 and shooting the breeze with the True Believers who were watching the flying saucers. Meandered through the West for a few more weeks and got back to Florida.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #15265
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Either my memory is faulty...
Your memory is faulty
Old 05-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #15266
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

When did you stop by Tuxpan?
Old 05-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #15267
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

For Jimmex

Jimmex knows why this video explains my return to Mazatlán next month

jajajajajajajajaja
Old 05-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #15268
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
But thanks for keeping tabs on me.
More like putting a date stamp on your stories of downrange Mexico travel.

Looking for fresh material
Old 05-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #15269
McFoil
Filthy Pig

Oddometer: 178
Seriously, spread the word up there in the Rio Gringolandia Valley and tell people to head down for a better event, and that is the Rally Ruta del Cafe.[/QUOTE]

Will that be in October this year?
McFoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #15270
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Your memory is faulty
Not in this case.