Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #15361
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
I need to edumacate myself on some of this new-fangled off road stuff. What do you wear underneath that Juggernaut Suit? Protective something or just a long-sleeve t-shirt?
Any tech fabric T shirt will do

You can wear the armor alone or throw a jersey over it

I'm riding Tecate to Cabo in September. It will be hot. I plan just to wear the compression armor over the tech T, and that's it.

In cool situations you want a large fitting enduro jacket, to go over everything. Motorcycle Superstore has a big selection of these. That's where I got mine.

Other armor styles are exo-skeleton style. You'll see both in SR's photo.

As far as boots go, don't get lost in "this model vs that model"

Any quality high calf boot should be fine. Where riders go wrong in the soft stuff is when they wear ankle high boots. This will torque your lower leg in a get-off. Worse is no shin protection when the footpeg digs into your leg.

Don't forget knee protection. The pads in enduro style pants are usually not fully protective - if you want armor, you want in-the-boot knee sliders. Example would be Fox Racing knee guards, the bottom of these tucks into the boot to hold them in place. Fully armored knee protection. Hit a rock on your patella without knee protection and I don't care who you are, you're not going anywhere for a while.

I settled on Crossfire 2s in that these new boots have a VERY generous calf sizing and easily fit the knee guards. And, if it's not enough, the upper boot plates are repositionable. Not cheap, but totally worth it, and they'll last for years.

I got the SRS (sole replacement system) but only to eventually replace the stock soles. The other optional sole styles are not needed, in my opinion.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #15362
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
I've come to a sliding stop down a rocky road a few times without a scratch, so it must be working.
Paying close attention to being fully protected while riding off-road in Mexico, as SR demonstrates, is doubly-prudent.

The difference here vs the CDT or TAT is that you really want your best chance of standing up after a gnarly get off in Mexico. No SPOT rescue, no sheriff's helicopters, no park rangers are coming for you.

A GS 1200 rider in Big Bend in March, went down with a nasty ankle break on the Around the Bend ride I was on. There were other falls and crashes. In the Hill Country a few weeks ago, more ankle issues and other rescues. Point being, help in these instances was right on-scene and extraction virtually immediate. Good thing, as many of these riders were not wearing prudent gear. It pays to pay attention to going "all out" to protect yourself
Old 05-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #15363
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,288
Sidi shown above vs Sidi Crossfire

There is a big difference in the ability of the boots to protect against the dreaded spiral tibia/fibula fracture that inevitably occurs when the panniers fall on your lower leg just above the ankle. The Sidi Crossfires have a very robust piece of plastic around this vulnerable part of your leg while those boots above do not.
If you're going off-road on a big pig or any bike really, you should give the Crossfires a serious look. These injuries are nasty and will require surgery and screws to fix.

WRT the route for the DGO-MAZ I might let el perro grande muerda and take the GS as it looks like there are plenty of bail out possibilities along the route. So nice to have choices.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #15364
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
SR's Google Earth GPS rendering (first pass - will be revised some) of the 19 June 2013 Durango to Maz back country High Sierra ride.

I can smell the pine trees at the ridge line now
In this Satellite image you can see the deeply dissected western edge of the Sierra Madre volcanics. This is some of the most rugged terrain in the world. There are at least 5 big drainages in western Durango with more topographic relief than Copper Canyon, including the Piaxtla, Presidio, Remedios and San Lorenzo river valleys. The Piaxtla is the one just NW of the pink line.
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #15365
SR
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
What do you wear underneath that Juggernaut Suit? Protective something or just a long-sleeve t-shirt?.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Under the armor suit you just wear a long or short sleeved shirt. As with all motorcycle gear. If it's hot outside you will be hot. If it's cold you will be cold, unless you have a jacket on. They make oversized windbreakers that go over the armor.

I'm starting to see the benefit of synthetics. Cotton can get wet and cause nipple chaffing. But some synthetics can do that too. A synthetic riding jersey with nothing underneath is like a cheese grader after a few hours!! Does FOX Racing make carbon fiber nipple pasties? I'll take a pair!

SR screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 04:29 PM
Old 05-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #15366
SR
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
There is a big difference in the ability of the boots to protect against the dreaded spiral tibia/fibula fracture that inevitably occurs when the panniers fall on your lower leg just above the ankle. The Sidi Crossfires have a very robust piece of plastic around this vulnerable part of your leg while those boots above do not.
If you're going off-road on a big pig or any bike really, you should give the Crossfires a serious look. These injuries are nasty and will require surgery and screws to fix.
Hi Jim.

I've always worn full off road style boots even DS riding. I recently picked up a pair of Sidi Crossfires. The pivoting movement while shifting is so easy it feels like I'm wearing slippers when I ride. It's a little unnerving and I'm still getting used to it. I guess the important thing is restricting the lateral twisting movement in a crash, which it looks like they will do?

Quote:
WRT the route for the DGO-MAZ I might let el perro grande muerda and take the GS as it looks like there are plenty of bail out possibilities along the route. So nice to have choices.
I know you are a good rider. I've done most of this route and a lot of similar terrain on a KLR. It could be done on a GS with full knobbies, but the whole time you would be concentrating hard on not dumping the bike and you would still probably dump it a few times. The route is designed to be fun and challenging for ATVs and enduro bikes. There is a lot (tens of Kms) of loose and rutted stuff going steep both up and down. There are slippery mossy riverbeds and river crossings crossings. If it rains, and the clay turns to snot, forget about it.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #15367
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,701
Quote:
I got the SRS (sole replacement system) but only to eventually replace the stock soles. The other optional sole styles are not needed, in my opinion.
I'll check in with you on this opinion after DGO-MZT. I went ahead with the lug sole option for how I ride the GSA. YMMV.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #15368
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,288
Quote:
Hi Jim.

I've always worn full off road style boots even DS riding. I recently picked up a pair of Sidi Crossfires. The pivoting movement while shifting is so easy it feels like I'm wearing slippers when I ride. It's a little unnerving and I'm still getting used to it. I guess the important thing is restricting the lateral twisting movement in a crash, which it looks like they will do?

I know you are a good rider. I've done most of this route and a lot of similar terrain on a KLR. It could be done on a GS with full knobbies, but the whole time you would be concentrating hard on not dumping the bike and you would still probably dump it a few times. The route is designed to be fun and challenging for ATVs and enduro bikes. There is a lot (tens of Kms) of loose and rutted stuff going steep both up and down. There are slippery mossy riverbeds and river crossings crossings. If it rains, and the clay turns to snot, forget about it.
OK; if a dude from Colorado says its too gnarly for a huge pig, I listen.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #15369
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Dang, SR! You got me laughing with that.

I was going to reply, "Pix or it didn't happen", then realized that pix could send you to banned camp.

UnderArmor has yet to brutalize my nipples, BTW. Some distance runners I know use bandaids.

I'm installing the lug soles on my Sidi Crossfire II's and will be wearing those exclusively from now on. I find it hard to wear less armor after wearing more.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 05-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #15370
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
OK; if a dude from Colorado says its too gnarly for a huge pig, I listen.
Less chance of rain/mud in October.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #15371
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Any tech fabric T shirt will do

You can wear the armor alone or throw a jersey over it

I'm riding Tecate to Cabo in September. It will be hot. I plan just to wear the compression armor over the tech T, and that's it.

Once upon a time I considered making my own clothing line. I have samples of Coolmax long sleeve stuff. Guess that I need to see if any of them still fit.

That, and I got some really nice long-sleeve shirts at a rally in Wisconsin last fall.

Quote:

In cool situations you want a large fitting enduro jacket, to go over everything. Motorcycle Superstore has a big selection of these. That's where I got mine.

I've got a couple of nice jackets but really need to send both out for cleaning and some minor repairs.

My Klim Adventure Rally is excellent for touring in hot weather but I am thinking about getting something more suitable for falling down (and hopefully getting back up) with a little more regularity. Something suitable for the gravel roads and trails around here. The Klim is too hot at slow speeds and way too heavy for what I have in mind.

Quote:
Other armor styles are exo-skeleton style. You'll see both in SR's photo.

As far as boots go, don't get lost in "this model vs that model"

Any quality high calf boot should be fine. Where riders go wrong in the soft stuff is when they wear ankle high boots. This will torque your lower leg in a get-off. Worse is no shin protection when the footpeg digs into your leg.

Don't forget knee protection. The pads in enduro style pants are usually not fully protective - if you want armor, you want in-the-boot knee sliders. Example would be Fox Racing knee guards, the bottom of these tucks into the boot to hold them in place. Fully armored knee protection. Hit a rock on your patella without knee protection and I don't care who you are, you're not going anywhere for a while.

I settled on Crossfire 2s in that these new boots have a VERY generous calf sizing and easily fit the knee guards. And, if it's not enough, the upper boot plates are repositionable. Not cheap, but totally worth it, and they'll last for years.

Thanks for the boot and knee protection advice. The Crossfires appeal to me but a lot of folks say the Discos are more comfortable if one is doing any walking. I had another pair of adv. touring boots (Gaerne I think but won't swear to it) that were never very comfortable. The heat from being in the compartment underneath the RV for a few years ruined them so it's time to move on.

I have been using Sidi touring boots (can't remember the model, some sort of Gortex boot0 for several years and really like them. Sidi used to make about the most comfortable cycling shoes you could buy but that was 35-40 years ago when I raced (cue someone's whine that I *REALLY* need new material )
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #15372
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,052
Schizz, you still rolling through down here? Before or after? If it's after, can I sign your cast(s)?
We can always stick you out on the corner by the Rivoli with a sign and a tin cup and you can pretend you are French or something, and get some beer money!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #15373
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
The Crossfires appeal to me but a lot of folks say the Discos are more comfortable if one is doing any walking.
One has to remember what you're buying the footwear to do: protect or walk.

While 'tis true that one's preference (and anatomy) might dictate that this pair or that pair of boots is more comfortable (a truly subjective perspective), I would recommend tilting to the side of maximum protection - we are, after all, talking off-road applications where the probability of the occasional get-off is all but a certainty.

This, again, is my opinion and the perspective I use.

I have a newish pair of SIDI Adventure Gore-Tex boots for the GSA while touring south of the border. Not as protective perhaps as SIDI's Crossfire 2s, but still pretty stout. I would say both the Crossfire 2s and the Adventures are more than adequate for walking. I wouldn't want to hike in them, or any quality moto boot worth their protective salt, but they're pretty good.

For the DGO-MAZ ride, I'm riding down on the GSA and borrowing SR's DRZ 400. I'll leave the Adventures at home and just ride down in the Crossfire's.

JD, like me, has also had a couple of fall-off-the-bike experiences in Mexico. He would probably agree that in addition to MedJet in the event of a major problem, the next best thing to give you the best advantage to get up and laugh about it later over a beer is to invest in the best protection you can afford.

And guess who was just here at my house - none other than WhiskySmith, the very guy who biffed a year ago October in the Copper Canyon region on his now sold-and-salvaged GS 1200 and who was medevac'd (without insurance) from Chihuahua to San Antonio. He might not have had the flight insurance, but he did have top quality gear and it probably saved his life down there in the boonies about a hour past Hildago del Parral.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #15374
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
I'm starting to see the benefit of synthetics.
Zero cotton anything for bike trips, here at home or in Mexico, on or off the road.

A small supply of Woolite and two simple tech T shirts, and one or two tech fabric shorts, and you're set.

A collared Under Armor shirt for a nice dinner at Tia Chona in Durango, assuming you ordered the plate of her chiles rellenos with a copa de vino tinto, and you are complete.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #15375
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Had a nice ride from Mcallen to Real de Catorce today. Had a late start but made it with plenty of time. Now the bikes are bedded down, and we are in the lobby on the wifi

Sent from my Samsung Note 10.1