Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #15526
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
No, I don't need to go to DF. My gf is from there and I have been there plenty.

This was exactly what type of recommendations I was looking for. Thanks very much!

I wil now go and read the other thread about recommended places to stay.

Cheers

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
D K,

Sounds good. Unless you're really wanting to see Mexico City I consider MAZ-GUAD-MORELIA-CUERNAVACA-OAXACA a better direct route. There's talk of including MC's in DF's non-circulating schedule and non-DF registered vehicles are prohibited from circulating before 11am, IIRC. So you've really got to want to see the City to make it worthwhile.

Schizz
’08 950SE for sale in SoCal
’09 FE570 patiently waiting..
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #15527
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by going south View Post
Going back to Mexico for a Minute, up the Devils spine to Mexiquillo, this is the place...

These two, Tim in front red 12gsa, & Nachin, blue coat, blue & white 1150...

Ended up here & here, about an hour west of El Salto, something, guessing truck dumped big strip of oil, smelled like old gear oil, took them both out, same corner about 10 seconds of each other, they both came out ok... for the most part...

The other 4 of us just missed the slick, Nachin's bike, not so good, went home in a truck, Tim could ride his...
The pic's don't do this justice, the way the bikes were laid out.
I feel Mexico is safe to ride in on so many levels, but you gotta stay sharp, and use your own personal risk assessment..

Or you could end up like Nachin looking for more scrapes and bruises...

And everyone is now back home in Mazatlan....

Wow, that's a crazy story. It could have come out much worse! Definitely a good reminder to keep alert. I bet Nachin will be trading his Levis in for a pair of armored riding pants soon?

For the DGO-MAZ off road ride we stay at the cabins there at Mexiquillo. Back in the 1950s they started to extend the train line from El Salto to Mazatlan. They ran out of money way before they finished and now at Mexiquillo there is a train grade road with 6 train tunnels that runs along side of a mountain. It is a nice place to go for a hike or mountain bike ride or even a DS ride.
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #15528
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW66 View Post
I think a nice break in ride would be to Zacatecas.....I would like a debrief after you do a couple of thousand miles at the Garufa. The Lomo Argentino is on me.
Garufa Zac is one of my favorite restaurants. Maybe IMS safety meetings should be scheduled there...
This above mishap reminds me of one my first trips on two wheels to Mexico in about 1992. I was riding with Larry Grodsky, the Stayin' Safe journalist for Rider Magazine. We were riding over Parque Nacional Los Marmoles (Mex 120) when I noticed my rear spinning up very easily. I knew it was diesel on the road and tried to catch up to him to tell him but it was too late. Total yard sale with Larry's panniers and bags strewn across the narrow highway. Broken clutch lever meant we had to push and pop it into 1st and speed shift all the way to Queretaro. Great memory as all ended well. Larry was killed in a motorcycle crash North of Big Bend about 7 years ago.

jimmex screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 08:36 PM
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #15529
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale7 View Post
I would like to see a pic of that Submarine ring...
Airdale., are you ok ? my sympathy for the tornado victims
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #15530
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Wow, that's a crazy story. It could have come out much worse! Definitely a good reminder to keep alert. I bet Nachin will be trading his Levis in for a pair of armored riding pants soon?
Yes it could have been much worse, I kept thinking to myself, man there is a lot of truck traffic for a sunday...
Tim and Nachin are both very good corner carvers, and both in Levis, Oil was not in there play book... everyone could see where they had bounced or slid on there pants, both were wearing riding jackets, man oh man there were lots of holes and road rash, some kinda small... but still road rash, and they are tender today... don't touch me, leave me alone, etc..etc..

Sooo, ATGATT...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #15531
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,691
I'm thinking of getting blue jeans with Kevlar panels for this reason. I don't always wear full armor, opting for jeans once in a while. But never on the E de D. Glad it wasn't any worse. Oof!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 11:30 PM
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:24 PM   #15532
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
I have personally given up on telling people that have an axe to grind against Mexico and Latin people that Mexico is safe. Frankly, I figure that most of those people are too stupid to learn anything new, and they are better left in some flyover part of the country spouting off about things they know nothing about. If they were to actually go into Mexico, for example, they would embarrass those of us that actually travel there.
Absolutely classic!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:49 AM   #15533
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Garufa Zac is one of my favorite restaurants. Maybe IMS safety meetings should be scheduled there...
This above mishap reminds me of one my first trips on two wheels to Mexico in about 1992. I was riding with Larry Grodsky, the Stayin' Safe journalist for Rider Magazine. We were riding over Parque Nacional Los Marmoles (Mex 120) when I noticed my rear spinning up very easily. I knew it was diesel on the road and tried to catch up to him to tell him but it was too late. Total yard sale with Larry's panniers and bags strewn across the narrow highway. Broken clutch lever meant we had to push and pop it into 1st and speed shift all the way to Queretaro. Great memory as all ended well. Larry was killed in a motorcycle crash North of Big Bend about 7 years ago.
http://stateimpact.npr.org/texas/201...-of-oil-waste/

Not connected to Larry Grodsky, but in league with diesel and oil either intentionally or accidentally ending up on the roadway. It is interesting you knew him. I believe Grodsky was killed riding at night, possibly hit a deer.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:59 AM   #15534
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by going south View Post
I used to mount the SPOT 2 to the handlebar, but switched to body carry.

This pic helps illustrate why.

End up down a cliff somewhere remote, and unable to move, it might at least provide a chance.

Another advert for MedJet as well
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:09 AM   #15535
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
San Diego to Oaxaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
Hello everyone.

Just finished the ride planning thread and thought I'd post here.

I'm planning on riding down from SD-Tijuana to Oaxaca where I'll be for the next couple of months.

Just wondering if anyone has some route suggestions?
My thinking was SD - LaPaz (possibly stopping in Loreto or a little before, depending on how the ride goes).
Then over to Mazatlan and hauling ass out of there ASAP over to Guadalajara for a night.
Then either to DF or straight to Oaxaca.

Is this a smarter route than taking the mainland all the way south?

Any areas on my route to watch out for?
I'm fairly familiar with a good part of BCS and La Paz. And also a little bit with Oaxaca state as well.

Also, this is not a sightseeing road trip, it's about getting the bike down here relatively quickly.

Any info, links and other suggestions

Le agradezco demasiado

Buenas tardes banda
I just rode La Paz to Tecate (highly recommended border crossing over Tijuana) at the end of April. The border to Loreto or just North of there is a pretty tall order. Loreto to La Paz no problem. The LaPaz-Maz ferry is a great trip...Tues/Thurs/Sat/ in that direction. You can book it on line. I highly recommend getting a cabin, especially if you think you are going to scoot out of Mazatlan in a hurry. About $225 US for you, the bike and the cabin. Take tie downs, the ferry does not have them. The ferry guys are helpful getting your bike tied down but you must have the straps. GET YOUR TVIP AT THE FERRY TERMINAL ON LA PAZ SIDE! I don't know how long security check at Maz takes, it was maybe 1/2 hour 45 mins on La Paz side.

I would guess that if you are in a hurry to get to Oaxaca you would want to go down the mainland. Even though the ferry is an overnight deal when you would be sleeping anyway it is time consuming on either end and your progress is lateral not North/South. In that case you might want to use one of the border crossings further East in AZ, not TJ, maybe the busiest border crossing in the world. It is a damn long way to Oaxaca from the border!
Old 05-22-2013, 04:29 AM   #15536
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,042
Never try to get anywhere in Mexico in a hurry. There is a natural ebb and flow, like a rhythm, to things here and one of the keys to getting things done is to find that rhythm or beat, or whatever you want to call it, and lock into it.
Once you are locked in or on, you are then along for the ride and not out of sync. John Muir, the VW expert not the conservationist, alluded to this in one of his books, not about Mexico but life in general. It is just more evident here as life is a lot less complicated unless you are dealing with the government.
If you think you are going to rush down and then later kick back and enjoy things, it will take you a few days to decompress from the rushing and any resulting issues. Mexico has a strange way of presenting things to you and you will not see these offerings in the green blur to get to a certain sunset you are trying too hard to get to.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:51 AM   #15537
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Approval

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
FOXNEWS ? give me a break ! That's a circus " Go Go to IRAK Afganistan Vietnam don't go to Mexico..... OMG
are they counting the USA is a country is it

Hope RMO approves my post
I agree with you about Fox "News". How did they report on the rapes of the Spanish women tourists in, was it Acapulco a couple of months ago?

I was not "getting all serious on you". We have that same rape joke in English and probably in every other language where women (and men) get raped. Rape is an act, not of sexuality, but of extreme personal violence and control. The "joke" was inappropriate here or anywhere else. It also happens to be "Sexual Assault Awareness Month" here.

You were highly critical of some gringo attitudes about traveling in Mexico and obeying rules on these pages yet you have posted your own videos that show a disregard for safety and those very laws. You can't have it both ways.

For whatever reason you have chosen to live in the USA. You criticize us for lacking cultural sensitivity when traveling to Mexico yet exhibit little sensitivity to our culture...you can't have that both ways either...respect is a two way street. "El Norte" is not just a place to escape whatever you are running from in Mexico, make money in, or shit on. We are highly flawed in many ways. Gives you no excuse to go "all gringo" on us.

I appreciate you posting "Cielito Lindo". We learned it as school children in the 1950's when we were studying in geography about "our friendly neighbors to the South" who spoke Spanish. The likelihood of me meeting a Mexican in Virginia in 1955 was pretty remote. How times have changed!

This is all a bit off IMS topic but traveling safely is about listening and understanding. When we all do both it makes for a better experience.

Aaaand...rape is not a joke...period.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:08 AM   #15538
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,042
Schizz,
Heads up on the new GS.

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2013/03/0...pension-issue/

Note the part about the tranny and the traction control from Transport Canada.

They'll never admit there was a problem, but there is something about that bike...like the factory turbos and the old big Kawi cop bikes. At least with the H1's and Mach III's you knew what you were in for.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:17 AM   #15539
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Rushing through Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Never try to get anywhere in Mexico in a hurry. There is a natural ebb and flow, like a rhythm, to things here and one of the keys to getting things done is to find that rhythm or beat, or whatever you want to call it, and lock into it.
Once you are locked in or on, you are then along for the ride and not out of sync. John Muir, the VW expert not the conservationist, alluded to this in one of his books, not about Mexico but life in general. It is just more evident here as life is a lot less complicated unless you are dealing with the government.
If you think you are going to rush down and then later kick back and enjoy things, it will take you a few days to decompress from the rushing and any resulting issues. Mexico has a strange way of presenting things to you and you will not see these offerings in the green blur to get to a certain sunset you are trying too hard to get to.
Me and my busted up knee could not have said that better. There are folks who post here who proudly knock out 500 miles in a day in Mexico. More power to them. You and I had a great 300 mile ride in the sierra around Veracruz and that was a day's work. My injury was a direct result of trying to do too much in an unfamiliar place with unfamiliar conditions and a momentary loss of focus...sequence of events leading to consequence....painful lesson...there will be others!

Early in my trip I had delusions about the distances I could cover in Mexico...both Mike Mike and Miguelito counseled me otherwise and they were right. The road will dictate how far you can travel it, that and the setting sun. The risk factors are pretty much a constant, the judgment and response factors become marginal towards the end of a long day of riding no matter how young, fit and experienced you are...recent posts here support this.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:52 AM   #15540
airdale7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
The yoga class is only 90 minutes so little chance of a 4 hour erection. But a room full of women retaining flatulence for 90 minutes of yoga all because of one male student? That's pretty much guaranteed.

Flatulence: The presence of excessive gas in the digestive tract.

Not sure i'm a happier man for knowing the definition.., but I will try to use it in a sentence today...

Every day is a new adventure!
airdale7 is offline   Reply With Quote