User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #15556
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,098
That sounds current.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #15557
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
Is Mazatlan safe?

Ive been told by a few locals here (near Porto Escondido) that I should avoid Mazatlan at all costs.
Puerto Escondido?? I can only think of 3... one is on the mainland in the state of Oaxaca, I know your not there... the other two are in southern Baja, to ride down the main land would be a good ride up the Baja to come back down the the other side... If you are in either of the 2 P. escondido's I'm thinking of, IMHO that getting to Santa Rosalia and taking the Ferry across to Guaymas and then south would be the quickest way... I can't speak of the TVIP thing at S.Rosalia...

And 500 to 600 mile days ??? maybe rethink that one, Mexico is a different kinda place, where speed and time cannot
be calibrated... for so many reasons.. at least I haven't figured out how to do it and get anywhere plus or minus a day...

And Mazatlan is just fine and is here waiting for you to enjoy...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #15558
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
I agree with you about Fox "News". How did they report on the rapes of the Spanish women tourists in, was it Acapulco a couple of months ago?

I was not "getting all serious on you". We have that same rape joke in English and probably in every other language where women (and men) get raped. Rape is an act, not of sexuality, but of extreme personal violence and control. The "joke" was inappropriate here or anywhere else. It also happens to be "Sexual Assault Awareness Month" here.

You were highly critical of some gringo attitudes about traveling in Mexico and obeying rules on these pages yet you have posted your own videos that show a disregard for safety and those very laws. You can't have it both ways.

For whatever reason you have chosen to live in the USA. You criticize us for lacking cultural sensitivity when traveling to Mexico yet exhibit little sensitivity to our culture...you can't have that both ways either...respect is a two way street. "El Norte" is not just a place to escape whatever you are running from in Mexico, make money in, or shit on. We are highly flawed in many ways. Gives you no excuse to go "all gringo" on us.

I appreciate you posting "Cielito Lindo". We learned it as school children in the 1950's when we were studying in geography about "our friendly neighbors to the South" who spoke Spanish. The likelihood of me meeting a Mexican in Virginia in 1955 was pretty remote. How times have changed!

This is all a bit off IMS topic but traveling safely is about listening and understanding. When we all do both it makes for a better experience.

Aaaand...rape is not a joke...period.
All I tried to said is that a drop off wallet and putting the bike on the hotel lobby plus making fake DL at home rather than bribe a transito doesn't help much. just because I lived 42 years there and think to know the system
I moved here because the electricty is cheaper I do file my taxes every year and all my income comes from Mexico already taxed there., So I only pay 3% here . Sorry but cant' not laugh about the wallet
I said some gringos or if you prefer North Americans
I did attend military boarding school in america since I was 13 on the late 60's and early 70's I consider 200mi north and south of the Rio Bravo my county but that's me
Meant to say that most Mexicans don't even become aware that you are a gringo when you out there on your bike
I know that rape is shitty but there are jokes about it; like the long lines of Spanish women at the Barajas airport in Madrid wanting to come to Acapulco

Maybe you are just more "chingon que yo" maybe.. if you want me to think like you, I dont know about that
And if I offended some of the regulars here accept my apology
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #15559
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
My goal is to do approx 500-600 mile days until I meet up with my gf.
Everyone will have an opinion, but you will notice that the conventional wisdom for gringo touring riders is to get off the road by dark (although I did notice that Arte and his pals all rolled into the resort we went to at about 11PM ).

Long story short I had a friend who rode through Mexico and on to the very tip of South American who did one (1) 550 mile day in the entire trip. At the time he was fit enough to do a 4 Corners ride and a 50CC (Jacksonville Beach to San Diego in less than 50 hours) the previous year. And he told me that riding that hard in Latin American was foolhardy.

So use your judgment.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #15560
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
That sounds current.
And you love being an asshole these days, don't you?

Posts to those forums were made today. Have YOU ever been in Mazatlan?
Old 05-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #15561
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Old 05-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #15562
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
And if I offended some of the regulars here accept my apology

I wouldn't worry about it. You aren't one of maybe 2 here that perpetually act like school children who have discovered in gym class that they are inadequate in the locker room so they try to make up for their "shortfall" with poor attitudes.

Keep it coming.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #15563
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale7 View Post
My neighbor made a storm shelter from a 40 ft shipping container. We took cover there but only recieved rain.

Thanks for askin'

That one, was strong one never seen one like that
Old 05-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #15564
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by going south View Post
Puerto Escondido?? I can only think of 3... one is on the mainland in the state of Oaxaca, I know your not there....

Thats me
’08 950SE - sold
’09 FE570 - sold
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #15565
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
That one, was strong one never seen one like that
I have an interest in container architecture. In fact I just posted something today on the subject in some other threads here at ADVRider.

Long story short, when I was FEMA'ing there was some discussion that there was a line item, only used in Guam as far as I know, to "right container." It seems that the Chamorro People have so many houses built in shipping containers these days that they get their own post-hurricane policies. And, in many cases, following a killer hurricane, you just take a crane, roll it over, reattach the utilities, and carry on. Plain and simple.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #15566
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
500 or 600 miles in a day here is a damn long day!
No matter how hard you try you will be either lucky or on a Mexican Rat Ride rally to average anywhere near even 80kms an hour.
It'll be tiring, tired can make funny things happen, funny things on Mexican highways are usually best avoided.
Go for it if you want, but it will be the green blur.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #15567
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
And you love being an asshole these days, don't you?

Posts to those forums were made today. Have YOU ever been in Mazatlan?

Gee, I dunno. Anyone here ever seen me in MAZ??

In the last 15 years, I mean.

Just for full disclosure, anyone reading this thread for current info on
Mexico should understand that John has accumulated very little travel
experience there over the last 15 years
and gleans his "local knowledge" from travel forums, blogs, SWAG, etc. So anyone
wanting actual first-person real-life local knowledge on MAZ, or just about
anywhere else in Mexico, should look to someone else for that. Especially
from someone who has experience traveling there on a motorcycle since
that's what this website is about.

John may be one of the top three posters on this thread but he's in the
bottom percentile for actual riding experience in Mexico. Not the best source, IMO.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 05-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #15568
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
John may be one of the top three posters on this thread but he's in the
bottom percentile for actual riding experience in Mexico. Not the best source, IMO.

Of course, you complaining bitterly about my politics and you following me from thread to thread to complain about everything from my opinions on architecture to my opinions on buses (Schizz used to be a bus driver whereas I owned busses and trucks) wouldn't have a durned thing to do with your "opinion", would it?

I didn't realize that I was one of the "top three posters" but I appreciate the compliment.

People can take information or leave it. I am big on providing resources and citing my sources. And, frankly, I don't think you are much of an observer or helpful to people interesting in traveling because you really don't have the same level of curiosity that many of us have and you certainly don't communicate your "experiences" in a way that is meaningful to anyone who wants to travel. Certainly not like others do.

With that said, while you may be a blowhard, I'm just basically too polite to say that your experiences are irrelevant or that you are a fool, it's just that I feel that you do a disservice to others with your sniping and, frankly, I take helping others too seriously to care to argue with you.

Now that I think about it, my attitude of helping others and thinking that others should be generous to their fellow human being was part of the reason why you got so pissy over my politics. Correct?

PS -

I have ridden with you en Mexico. in 2009 as I recall you were OK but seemed a bit out of your element along the toll road between Progreso and Reynosa. You had a Harley at the time. Nothing wrong with Harleys, but suddenly you got a GS and now you think that you are some sort of gnarly adventurer.

Whereas, of course, you famously watched me 7 months ago as I struggled to keep my balance in Austin on a windy day when my inner ear went weird. Something that I appreciate you doing. But we are all mortal. You and me. But I don't feel the need to diss someone else because of my own insecurities, which is the impression you seem to be giving several people.

Anyway, go to your corner. Stop being childish and I'll ignore you. As the truckers used to say "you think that your crap don't stink" but you have a lot to learn just like the rest of us do.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #15569
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Channeling Saul Alinsky again John?

I have absolutely no problem with anything you just posted about me
because not one person with any knowledge of either of us would put
any stock in one word of it. Such is your utter lack of credibility here.

I find not an ounce of truth in you as a man.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #15570
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,048
C'mon guys ! Take the personal pissing match someplace else. This thread has better uses.