Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #1546
TemeculaRider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte
from Miss wikipedia:

Wilt Chamberlain was known to have dunked on an experimental 12-foot basket set up by Phog Allen at the University of Kansas in the 1950s.[4] Michael Wilson, a former Harlem Globetrotter and University of Memphis basketball player, matched this feat on April 1, 2000 albeit with an alley-oop. Dwight Howard dunked on an 11ft 6in basket in the 2009 NBA dunk contest also off an ally-oop.
Jim Pollard[5], Wilt Chamberlain[4], Julius Erving, Clyde Drexler, Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Kobe Bryant, Stromile Swift, Shawn Kemp, Grant Hill, Darrell Griffith, Korleone Young, Edgar Jones, LeBron James, James White, Vince Carter, Jason Richardson, Jamario Moon, Chris Webber, Dwight Howard, Mike Conley, Jr., Brent Barry and Al Thornton have each dunked while jumping from around the free throw line, which is 15 feet from the basket. Unlike the others, Wilt Chamberlain did not require a full running start, but instead began his movement from inside the top half of the free throw circle.[4]

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I did have the fortune to watch a four games in Mexico City, back in 1994

I was sitting right behind Dr J. He was one of the VIP inviteed.

The teams playing where Spurs, Sonics, Mavs, and rockets. There were Rodman, the Almirant, Kemp, etc.

for some one that have never ever been on an NBA game, this was just awesome.
Wilt was a freak of nature. An incredible specimen. We lived in Venice Beach from '67 to '77 and my Dad was watching the pros play beach volleyball one day when he looks over and out of nowhere Wilt Chamberlain is walking right past him and goes down and proceeds to play beach volleyball for a couple of hours. Many don't know that Wilt loved volleyball more than basketball and would have played that if he could have made as much money.

I saw Dr. J one time when we went to a game in Atlanta at the old Omni vs. the Hawks in 1983. Before the game Darryl "Chocolate Thunder" Dawkins blew us all away with incredible dunks during warm-up but the Doc didn't come out til the final layups.

But for me, nothing will ever compare to when Showtime was rockin' the Forum as they totally dominated and devastated whoever was unfortunate to be playing them that night. Magic running the fast break and delivering a no-look bullet to Worthy for the slam was the ultimate!

BTW, I will be at either Game 1 or Game 2 of the NBA Finals at Staples this year (and it ain't gonna be cheap).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
you are safer in 99% of Northern Mexico than you are in 99% of Jacksonville, FL.
TemeculaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #1547
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 4,056
I've been following this thread from the beginning, and it has been very entertaining.

Looking for any wisdom on taking a bus to Chihuahua (the city).

My Neice wants to visit relatives there. She is a fairly naive 23 year old. She is getting all the horror stories but is confident she can do it by herself.

Any logistics I should be aware of on crossing the border by bus at Douglas/Agua Prieta?

Do US busses go thru or is there a transfer to Mexican busses? I have ridden the busses down there and was very impressed. They were punctual and cleaner than the busses around where I live.

Just curious about the crossing itself?

Thanks
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #1548
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetourist
I've been following this thread from the beginning, and it has been very entertaining.

Looking for any wisdom on taking a bus to Chihuahua (the city).

My Neice wants to visit relatives there. She is a fairly naive 23 year old. She is getting all the horror stories but is confident she can do it by herself.

Any logistics I should be aware of on crossing the border by bus at Douglas/Agua Prieta?

Do US busses go thru or is there a transfer to Mexican busses? I have ridden the busses down there and was very impressed. They were punctual and cleaner than the busses around where I live.

Just curious about the crossing itself?

Thanks
I can't be too specific about the Douglas area but my guess is that your niece will be as safe as houses. The intercity buses in Mexico are super modern and around here they run several lines from McAllen to Monterrey and other points and they do so every 30 minutes to an hour. Out on the autopista (toll road) you see the big, modern buses all the time.

Several Mexican lines (over here we have Sendor, a/k/a Grupo Senda [http://portal.gruposenda.com/Senda/jsp/]) and a few others which run across the border and go to a very modern terminal in downtown McAllen, maybe 5-7 miles from the border.

Grupo Senda shows buses to Atlanta, Chicago, and Raleigh and I remember that someone over here had buses to Daytona Beach, which caught my attention.

Greyhound has a subsidiary headquartered in Monterrey called, logically enough, Greyhound Mexico. Wiki has an article on them at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyhound_Mexico

Around here we see a lot of Autobuses Americanos buses which is a Greyhound subsidiary. Their site is at http://www.autobusesamericanos.us/EN/Home.shtml

On both sides of the border they do an immigration paperwork check, but by and large the same buses that pick you up on the US side run to their destinations on the Mexican sides. By the same tokens I have talked to Mexican bus drivers who were doing runs to Charleston or who were returning from Florida.

Good luck!
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:44 PM   #1549
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883
Mexico can be dangerous.....

They let their kids play with machetes.

They were yelling something that sounded like "!Mata los gringos!" during this exotic ceremony.

Still trying to figure out what was going on....
That kid on the left was giving you el ojo!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:55 PM   #1550
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883

Still trying to figure out what was going on....

Obviously looking for a gringo to rob. Did any of the kids mention that their uncle was a cop in Reynosa?
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #1551
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan
That kid on the left was giving you el ojo!
Relax

They're midget Ginsu Knife salesmen
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:52 PM   #1552
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Wicked do we have concensus yet?

Is Mexico safe?

In a word, yes.

Just returned (along with Digiamo and Steve from Nashville) from a month long trip thru Mexico, Belize, and Guatemala. No hint of trouble throughout.

Nearest thing was when a local rancher offered us tent space rather than let us go on to the next town as there "had been some trouble there." Didn't get the particulars but did accept his offer. Hey, we're cheap, free camping was right up our alley.

Speaking of which, we camped a total of 11 nights thru the trip. Not bad. Hotels are cheap but free is cheaper.

Saw a lot of not third-world stuff. Some areas of Tobasco and Chiapas looked like Kansas, what with all the corn fields and John Deere harvesters. Much, much agriculture and not subsistence kind'a farming either. Another hint that things are better than many think, the sign in the central square in Palenque, "Free Internet Zone", provided by the local gum'mint.

Food was great, folks are better. Again, no real hint of trouble.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:10 PM   #1553
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,545
Huasteca Potosina

and after stoping on el NARANJO, next stop should be

THEN TAMASOPO

THEN GOING TO.....WARNING MY FOREING FRIENDS..... DO NOT GO HERE..... EL DIABLO MAY GET YOU....

HUEHUETLAN

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:20 PM   #1554
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,545
So if you want to go here on the HUASTECA

Forget it... cause El DIABLO is everywhere... not safe...not safe..

and to get here
XILITLA

you need first to defeat LA MUERTE....and other evil entities..

so, forget it.... stay at home.

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:12 AM   #1555
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Bravo Arte

huasteka.net
Old 05-27-2010, 07:14 AM   #1556
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99
Food was great, folks are better.
Bravo George
Old 05-27-2010, 07:37 AM   #1557
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,592
Trouble in Mexico

Heard on a street corner in Mexico:

Hey, Pedro

What, Fernando?

Did you hear the GSeros are coming!

no, serio? Los GSeros? Los GSeros Gringos?

Si! Pinche GSeros!
They want to steal our donos!

I'll shoot them! Matalos GSeros!

Una problema, Fernando.... We are transitos, we have no pistoles. Our only weapon is la mordida! We can take their dono dinero!

No, no.....No Preocupe, I have a cousin in the Ejercito, he has a camioneta with a 50 caliber gun, and I picked up some Cuernas de Chivas from my inlaws.
Attached Images

mark883 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:42 AM   #1558
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,592
Not safe!

Arrrgh! There be Harley riders aqui!
Attached Images

mark883 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:13 AM   #1559
tricepilot