Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #15616
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by going south View Post
The song by Wall of Voodoo / Stan Ridgeway, (Mexican Radio) I thought was about that, BIG horse power radio stations
in Tijuana...
As is ZZ Top's "Heard It On The X".

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #15617
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,137
I have AT&T, but it don't hook up very well in southern Mexico and it don't get connection at all at the house I stay at. I can call the house from mid Mexico and northern Mexico, plus from the US. 75% of my calls from the Escuitla/Tapachula area are from one of the Telephone Stores that charge one or two pesos per minute.

My telephone plan is the 450 plan which is 450 minutes day time and 1,000 minutes nights/weekends plus unlimited AT&T cell to cell. I pay an extra $16 or so per month which allows me to use my minutes to and from Mexico, except for the unlimited AT&T cell to cell. That option is no longer available, but I get to keep my plan. I tried to change to the Mexico 900 minute plan that existed when I switched to the Mexico 450 plan, but neither is available now.

I don't want to use my phone for the internet, much too expensive! I have used friends' USB hookup on my computer in the US as well as Guatemala.
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #15618
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
No it does not. The way it works is you prepay for a set amount at a lower rate and if you exceed that amount you pay a much higher rate for that data. No such thing as a cap.

The pre-pay plans that they sell around here cut you off if you exceed the limit. This isn't what you are thinking of?
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #15619
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,581
So Mazatlan is dangerous now too? Jeez, I hung out there for over a week when I was there in 2010 and never once felt threatened by anyone.

And can you two knock off the adventure travel dick jousting, please?

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #15620
khpossum
poster

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo43 View Post
It's probably been spoken of here..but I know I used my phone in larger cities in Mexico through verizon and it was like a dollar a minute. Texts worked well but they were like 25cents. What about using your Iphone for the internet in those cities to send emails? If you log on to the internet through Verizon phone service is that cheaper than the broadband spoken of? Do any of you that live there have experience con un teléfono estadounidense usando el Internet?
i just spend 31 days in mexico. Verizon added their mexico plan to my phone for $10, which included 150 more minutes to my 550 minute plan. data was still hugely expensive, so i disconnected data connection on my phone before crossing the border. No big deal, there is plenty of wi-fi around in just about all hotels. I actually used skype calls over w-fi a lot, instead of verizon. One of the reasons was because verizon cell voice connection in mexico was spotty. it could not be counted on in many many locations. With the verizon mexico plan the wife could call me on my phone without any hassle, IF there was a verizon cell connection.

kp
khpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #15621
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post

And can you two knock off the adventure travel dick jousting, please?

Dood, take it up with him. Every time I write something the silly SOB expects me to qualify my comments.

Then again he never got around to telling the OP whether he thought Mazatlan was safe or not. Too busy trying to diss me to concentrate I guess.

ADDED:

Not like you wouldn't understand the petty back of forth of some personalities Mark. Someone just posted something on my Facebook page about the famous arguments that you and Dan used to have before you both got banned elsewhere.

So you have to laugh at this stuff.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #15622
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Yes, Mazatlan is extremely dangerous now! So please don't anyone go there! Especially don't go to the Costa Marinera restaurant on a Saturday night and take up all of the ocean side seating. That's a very dangerous area.
Too funny!

I have got to say that I have been fortunate enough to see many, many tropical cities and towns and Mazatlan is right up there with maybe the Top 3. This thread is making me seriously rethink my priorities and Bucket List and I read some of my materials and remember what a great place it is.

Safe? Hell no. Old gringos might go there and have a heart attack because of many, many possible activities involving the heat and sand and sin.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #15623
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by khpossum View Post
i just spend 31 days in mexico. Verizon added their mexico plan to my phone for $10, which included 150 more minutes to my 550 minute plan. data was still hugely expensive, so i disconnected data connection on my phone before crossing the border. No big deal, there is plenty of wi-fi around in just about all hotels. I actually used skype calls over w-fi a lot, instead of verizon. One of the reasons was because verizon cell voice connection in mexico was spotty. it could not be counted on in many many locations. With the verizon mexico plan the wife could call me on my phone without any hassle, IF there was a verizon cell connection.

kp

Good to know Mon and we appreciate your sharing.

Verizon used to be really popular among RV'ers and other travelers in the USA. Here in the wilderness that is South Texas AT&T is the only game in town and even at that cell boosters (and I have one) are very, very popular.

My recollection is that where Verizon service was available in Mexico (Monterrey primarily) it worked great.

Communication is probably something that we ought to discuss every 6 months or so because the technology and services change so frequently.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #15624
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
The pre-pay plans that they sell around here cut you off if you exceed the limit. This isn't what you are thinking of?
Nope. Moreover it's not what SOG had according to the conversations we had during the ride.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 05-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #15625
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,160
Re: communication service while in Mexico

Someone here at work said he and his wife were using Viber to communicate, she is currently in Turkey.

I have no personal experience with it but it sounds like a viable solution.

Quote:
Viber includes text, picture and video messaging across all platforms, with voice calling available only to iPhone, Android and Nokia's Windows Phone
LINK
Old 05-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #15626
jonas_mx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Just rode from Mexico city to Durango through the "dangerous" route (Michoacan-Jalisco-Zacatecas) and it went just fine. Michoacan is "tierra caliente" but i didnt encounter any dangers other than stray dogs crossing the road...

From Guadalajara to Fresnillo (Zac) I rode the libre and although I did get to see some road signs with bullet holes on them, it was fine. This is a narco country and some people warned me against it but it was ok, Wouldnt do it when dark though...

Federal Police and Military present almost everywhere (except north of Jalisco)
jonas_mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:10 AM   #15627
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Re: communication service while in Mexico

Someone here at work said he and his wife were using Viber to communicate, she is currently in Turkey.

I have no personal experience with it but it sounds like a viable solution.

LINK

Is Viber like Skype?
Old 05-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #15628
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas_mx View Post
and although I did get to see some road signs with bullet holes on them

Sure you didn't stray into Kentucky or Texas?
Old 05-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #15629
bingo43
¡Que Viva!

Oddometer: 207
Excelente!

Great phone information! I'll make sure we have our auto updates turned off so when we get to an area of Verizon service my son doesn't get 200 texts from friends. I'll also call Verizon to make sure my phone is updated with the latest info. Then just turn on the wi-fi in the hotel and send emails. Should be great!
bingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #15630
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo43 View Post
Great phone information! I'll make sure we have our auto updates turned off so when we get to an area of Verizon service my son doesn't get 200 texts from friends. I'll also call Verizon to make sure my phone is updated with the latest info. Then just turn on the wi-fi in the hotel and send emails. Should be great!
That's my current method. Until I figure out something better. A device like SR mentioned sounds worthy of investigation.