Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #15646
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
"Violently humiliating fellow travelers"? Seriously, have you ever had breakfast with the Craneguy or the Mystery Rider?
Try telling either one of them (or both just for the helluva it) that they crossed the centerline!
All I ever get for my respectful and responsible riding is abuse.
Abuse and more abuse.
Then while I head off to the can, they go and eat all the tortillas and tell the waitress to ignore me.
A gringo, a grown up gringo, sitting tortillaless (now that is a new word) is an object of scorn and ridicule at a roadside eatery.
I try to be nice about it but it often hurts my feelings. I think this is why I want a KLR, so people will leave me alone.
All because I try my hardest to be a respectful and responsible rider and not cross the centerline.
Now, how's that for some good Televisa telenovela drama?
What the hell am I in for next month?? Should I invest in a tortilla carrier?

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #15647
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
I had one for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
I have a Mexico question. Do any of you use the USB Air Cards or what ever you call them to connect to internet in Mexico? Can I purchase a Telcel loadable USB to use in my computer? Can the USB then be reloaded at the Oxxos? The private home located in the mountains where I stay at a lot when in Mexico does not have internet. I ask at the local town and they did not know, even though it was a small Telcel distributor.

Donnie
I had one for a couple of years......in the big cities that had service, like Zacatecas, Guadalajara it was just like any fast Internet. In cities like Fresnillo the service was like the old phone line connections. If you were in an area where the company did not have service, I did not have service....if I lived in Zacatecas or Guadaljara I would have kept it......but in Fresnillo it was not worth having.

You make a living by what you get........you make a life by what you give. ( author unknown)
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #15648
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
I like this road the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas_mx View Post
Just rode from Mexico city to Durango through the "dangerous" route (Michoacan-Jalisco-Zacatecas) and it went just fine. Michoacan is "tierra caliente" but i didnt encounter any dangers other than stray dogs crossing the road...

From Guadalajara to Fresnillo (Zac) I rode the libre and although I did get to see some road signs with bullet holes on them, it was fine. This is a narco country and some people warned me against it but it was ok, Wouldnt do it when dark though...

Federal Police and Military present almost everywhere (except north of Jalisco)

I have gone from Fresnillo to Guadaljara many time, all three highways. I like the one straight south of Frsnillo the best. I took it the first time last Christmas because a good friend that lives in Jerez finally told me it was safe. His brother takes it every week and at one time the only highway considered safe was the toll road through Aguascalientes....I hope it will remaine safe but there is a lot of activity here now so who knows.....

You make a living by what you get........you make a life by what you give. ( author unknown)
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #15649
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
John and schizz. I caused the confusion. I mis-spoke. Mine was not a "prepaid" data plan. It was a $30 chunk of data. But I could monitor data usage and adjust. I don't remember excess data being "punitive".
You are fine Mon. Sounds to me like a good way to avoid those amazing excess charges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #15650
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
Two cents coming.
Not being a very phone oriented person I am happy enough using the iCall app on my
iPhone from which the SIM card has been removed on purpose.
The iCall app is only 99cents purchase and for that I can make free outgoing phone
calls from anywhere there is wifi available , for free of course
In the year that i have now had this device I have used iCall from Mexico, GT and BZ , from all over the US and Canada.
Free calls last a max of 5 minutes and if I have more to say I just redial the number again and carry on for another 5 minutes.
Reception / transmission quality varies wildly depending on Internet service and some days no connection can be found. But considering what I pay for the calls I do make there is no reason to complain. Never have a worry about escalating phone bills sneaking up on me.
No incoming calls for me although iCall does offer for pay packages that assign numbers to you so you can receive also .
Sjoerd Bakker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #15651
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Funny Donnie! And honest. When you posted about one of your "minor mishaps" it gave me a lot of relief that it happens to riders with the experience and skill that you clearly have. It's a motorcycle, they tip over, DUH David.
Fully laden GS tip overs are more dramatic and spectacular than KLR tip overs.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #15652
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,261
This caption snippet from a photo on the Humans of NY site reminded me of what many of the regulars say about Mexico. LINK

Here's hoping nobody goes off on a CSM rant

Quote:
ON TRAVEL TO IRAN:
The US Government has a lengthy travel warning for Iran. While not advising you to ignore this warning, I do advise that you balance it with direct accounts of Americans who have recently visited the country. These accounts are generally filled with superlatives— the country is beautiful, the history is rich, and the people are eager to demonstrate their almost-sacred commitment to hospitality.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #15653
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,981
Sjoerd has an iPhone?
Where was I when hell was freezing over?

I always miss the good parts.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #15654
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
If you have an iPhone, there is no need to remove the sim card.

Enable airplane mode, then go back to wireless and enable that.

You just turned your iphone into an ipod touch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
Two cents coming.
Not being a very phone oriented person I am happy enough using the iCall app on my
iPhone from which the SIM card has been removed on purpose.
The iCall app is only 99cents purchase and for that I can make free outgoing phone
calls from anywhere there is wifi available , for free of course
In the year that i have now had this device I have used iCall from Mexico, GT and BZ , from all over the US and Canada.
Free calls last a max of 5 minutes and if I have more to say I just redial the number again and carry on for another 5 minutes.
Reception / transmission quality varies wildly depending on Internet service and some days no connection can be found. But considering what I pay for the calls I do make there is no reason to complain. Never have a worry about escalating phone bills sneaking up on me.
No incoming calls for me although iCall does offer for pay packages that assign numbers to you so you can receive also .
’08 950SE for sale in SoCal
’09 FE570 patiently waiting..
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:58 AM   #15655
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Fully laden GS tip overs are more dramatic and spectacular than KLR tip overs.
And usually measure on the Richter Scale, followed by an onset of spontaneous Tourette's Syndrome.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #15656
bingo43
¡Que Viva!

Oddometer: 224
The Gold Mine of info:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post

Would you say 250 miles is more realistic?

Raoul Duke did a ride report back in 2009 that I used as a pattern for my first ride down south. His report kicks ass. I think I'll re-read it this week to get pumped up. (Aventura Gigante)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...494752&page=17

Post #248 is a gold mine of travel data. He breaks it down day by day by milage and gives it a rating. It's not the part of mexico you will be traveling, but it gives you a cool idea of how far you can travel in mexico and guatemala daily and still have a good time. You need to adjust for your own riding skill and the kinds of things you want to see. You sound like you want to blast down and get somewhere. That's cool. On our trip we had as primary goals colonial mexico, the yucatan and Tikal. So we busted it to get there. It was that kind of a trip. Next week when we leave, no hurry. We will blast into Mexico and then take our time. Two days or so in each city. No rush. No cuotas. Take every suggestion and weigh it and discuss it with my riding partner (son) and then make a decision. Raoul Duke gives a secret formula of 220miles per day. Check out that report...it's the one that got me really fired up. Great pictures... some cameos by Tricepilot. Lots of great info!
bingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:42 AM   #15657
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,568
Never be afraid to say in Mexico, while sipping a morning cup of coffee:
"screw it, I'll stay here another day"

If you can't do that, or don't do that at least once during your trip, you're doing it wrong.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #15658
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,631
I'm doing just that on Tuesday. Boarding soon for The City.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #15659
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote;You just turned your iphone into an ipod touch.."

Precisely the point( although I know about iPod Touch only from reading
about them) I do not need nor want a telephone The iPhone is a lot smaller to carry . With a $IM €ard it would entail having to $ign up with $ome t¥pe of phone service and internet access which would bring bills to pay. Forgetting to remove such a $IM card from the phone while crossing into another country could cost a person hundreds of dollars on roaming charges without making a single call
The iPhone I have was given to me and set up this way for me by a good friend
after he determined that this would satisfy the basics I was looking for.
Now I can do email and these kind of posts and phone calls home from anywhere
with wifi access. Basically it is all the"computer" I (don't really) need at this time ....
Sjoerd Bakker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #15660
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,204
Thinking of you all while wandering around Palermo and Rome

But not a lot
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote