Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #15766
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-W View Post
Hey Donnie,

This slipped by without my notice so I will address your comment now... pertaining to me riding your old GS, now my new to me GS in parts of Mexico that you have traveled... If the hookers are really good looking, I will keep them. If not, should I give them your email and cell # ?

Well, if they can actually run out to the road, that passes my test, send them on!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #15767
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
I do have a Benetti tri deck that Im supposed to look after....

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
All its going to be is a little tropical storm with winds about 40-50 and a bunch of rain. Find a hotel and hole up for a couple of days.
’08 950SE for sale in SoCal
’09 FE570 patiently waiting..
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:33 PM   #15768
RaoulDuke13
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Aloha,
I just Joined Advrider Today. I am from Hawaii. I presently am staying with friends in Monterey ca. This week I will be Driving a car down to watch the Tecate Score 500 Baja race. I want to ride my KTM 400 exc from San Diego to Cabo. It is outfitted with baja adventure switch. It has dot approved lights and is licensed. So I figure if I first go to the race I will meet like minded people that I might get some info for my trip. Then its back to Monterey to prep my bike. I am thinking of maybe signing up for a 4 day ride with Chris Haynes from San Diego to Mikes Sky Ranch. Using my bike I would save some money. From there I would ride solo. I want to buy a Garmin Montana® 650t and also get a SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger. I am thinking of also Insuring my bike with mexadventure. I think that medjet would also be a wise option for me cause I will be alone. The part I am not sure of is where to ride. Where the best places to see. I am thinking of buying the Motorcycle Mexico cd's for info. Is this a good source? I already get not to ride at nite and stay at hotels. If you are familiar with my bike it has no ignition switch. Should I bring my colbra snake lock? I can put a tube along my frame and slide it in. Are hotel thefts common? What is a good map to bring besides having the montana GPS? Should I bring just front air tubes because they fit a rear tire too? I am going to get a tank bag and use a klim krew backpack. So I will be traveling light as possible. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated! Mahalo and Aloha.

RaoulDuke13 screwed with this post 05-28-2013 at 11:40 PM
RaoulDuke13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:00 AM   #15769
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,787
Report corruption and extortion in Mex DF and Estado de Mex

Don't pay!
Call it in.
As printed in 400 magazine (Mexican bike mag). I have posted this in a few places on this forum because it is a damn good start at curbing extortion.
A la chingada con los corruptos.
No, it won't work for your trip through Tampico, but it is at least a start in the right direction.
Don't waste their time if you have been caught actually breaking a law.
That is your problem, pay the fine, and learn your lesson. This is for preventing shake downs which happen more and more in relation to people trying to bribe their way out of their own mistakes. One feeds the other.

MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:06 AM   #15770
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 7,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaoulDuke13 View Post
It is outfitted with baja adventure switch.
Man, if I only knew all one had to do was to flip a switch.....
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:08 AM   #15771
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
Raul Duke 13

Lots of questions there, many have been answered in this thread or other threads relating to Baja. DO NOT RELY ON GARMIN 650t OR ANY OTHER GPS AS YOUR PRINCIPAL NAVIGATION SOURCE. GET PAPER MAPS. My Garmin650t quit working less than halfway through my 7500 mile trip in Mexico this winter. If you get the Garmin you should also get the latest Bici Mapas loaded onto it, the Garmin NT North America is very limited. Start with getting the AAA Mexico map, try to find Guia Roji for Baja, inmates here have listed sources for topo maps. There are lots of Baja hands on this website, do your research diligently, you can use the "sucky search engine" here or you can google search. It is a long way from the border to Cabo and there is a long stretch in the middle where gas is scarce. For your first adventure you might want to check out a supported ride if you can afford it. Get maps, scan the threads.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:27 AM   #15772
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
I am thinking of maybe signing up for a 4 day ride with Chris Haynes from San Diego to Mikes Sky Ranch. Using my bike I would save some money. From there I would ride solo.
I sent you a bit more detailed PM, but in short, this might be your best idea.

You'll quickly figure out if you've got the tools to continue solo - and if you're still in the off-road development phase, like I am, you might find that a fully supported ride will let you concentrate on those riding skills you seek.

Then, later on, if off road and off road in Baja is your thing, you can use what you've built on to create you own adventures. And, hopefully, you won't be "that guy" in a group of really experienced off road vets.

Solo is a great idea on pavement. Solo in the dirt, especially if you have limited experience, not so much a great idea.

Then again, you might be Lewis, or Clark. Wait!, they went as a team, with support. No GPS though.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:09 AM   #15773
bingo43
¡Que Viva!

Oddometer: 186
Pissed One week delay

Trice...I'm going to have to delay the departure by a week. Hopefully that won't mess you up too much. We thought Jaxton would be able to serve his time this week so we could still leave this Sunday...but the judge went on vacation. Did you know that if you are riding your dad's FZ1 in a rural county in Missouri at 139 MPH you will need to serve some jail time and get a class 2 misdemeanor on your record and have to pay a fine? I assumed that the penalty would be strong...but his mom is freaking out about the jail time. He leaves to serve a 2 year mission in August...but the Judge would not hear any of it. I'll send you a PM.

On a related note...I'll be bringing a 2005 FZ1 to Dallas on my way to your house. My brother is going to try and sell it for me there on Craigslist. $4700...10k miles. I've heard it's very fast. I'm glad the sherriff did not nail him at the speed he was really going!

Bikes owned:

09 BMW F 650 GS (twin)
09 KLR 650
bingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #15774
RaoulDuke13
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Raul, I don't know anything about Baja, but there are guys out there that do. I do ride a dirt bike in Mexico that also does not have an ignition switch and I carry a cable lock and put it on at night. I doubt that theft in rural Baja is particularly bad, but I sleep better at night knowing the lock is there. The cable lock goes with the dirt bike no matter where I am, even in the US.

Suerte!
Thanks SR, Always better to be secure than sorry!

RaoulDuke13 screwed with this post 05-29-2013 at 07:59 AM
RaoulDuke13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #15775
RaoulDuke13
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Guia Roji for Baja, It is a long way from the border to Cabo and there is a long stretch in the middle where gas is scarce. For your first adventure you might want to check out a supported ride if you can afford it.
I found the Guia Roji map Baja California Sur thanks! I'll be purchasing it today. Seems supported groups do not ride july to sept. I have much time off from work now and would like to spend it on my bike. I realize there is much to learn about Mexico to make it safe for a first timer.
Aloha!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #15776
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo43 View Post
Trice...I'm going to have to delay the departure by a week. Hopefully that won't mess you up too much.
I should be here, unless I'm there

Looking forward to the reunion with a Mexico vagabond
Old 05-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #15777
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
I found the Guia Roji map Baja California Sur thanks! I'll be purchasing it today. Seems supported groups do not ride july to sept. I have much time off from work now and would like to spend it on my bike. I realize there is much to learn about Mexico to make it safe for a first timer.
Aloha!
Aloha!

There is a reason most supported groups don't ride down there July to September....Hot, hot, hot! Of course, the Pacific side is cooler, so long as you are next to the ocean, but inland, or on the Sea of Cortez side, make sure you stay well hydrated!

Baja is a great place for a first time Mexico visitor. People are friendly, the food is excellent, and there are numerous places to stay. Gas is fairly plentiful save one section that is approx 200 miles long...well, fuel is available here, but it's out of glass jars!

I say if you've got a good map, a bike in great mechanical shape, and common sense, go for it. Remember to post pix.

Steve
Old 05-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #15778
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post

I say if you've got a good map, a bike in great mechanical shape, and common sense, go for it. Remember to post pix.

Steve
Well Steve, he's got a better chance at gnarly terrain on a 400 EXC than a heavyweight yacht like a 1200GSA
Old 05-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #15779
RaoulDuke13
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post
Aloha!

Steve
Thanks for the encouraging words and advice steve.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #15780
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Are you finding us a place to live?
Sorry, no time. But I likely have enough connections in The City to
secure a place anytime. A weekend-long conference with two fiestas thrown in and non-stop eating, talking, laughing.......

As I shuttled around town catching up with different families I would
typically get up from one meal to say goodbye then arrive at another
home only to sit down to another meal. If I refused food a plate would soon be handed to me wherever I happened to be standing or sitting.
I must have gained 5 lbs during the trip.

Is Mexico Safe? Not if you're trying to lose weight!

Some pix (so that it DID happen):

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 05-29-2013 at 11:04 AM
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote