Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2013, 06:20 AM   #16516
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
All kidding aside, a concoction of peyote (mixed with rubbing alcohol I think) on the knees. hips, etc for pain relief after a long ride works great. It is illegal to possess/sell, however, you can find it at some of the local health tiendas that sell all kinds of herbs. My first jar was given to me by my 75 yr old neighbor who hikes 3x times a week up into the mountains (about a 2000' rise) to feed his burros.

I've been told that the snake skin polvo and oil concoctions like those that were sold on Hwy 57 around SLP some years back also work well, but no personal experience with that.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:27 AM   #16517
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
I'm looking at the roads inside the Cd. Vic-Saltillo-Monterrey triangle. Maybe Cola de Caballo, Galeana, the mountain loop SW of Cd. Vic.

Your thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
I recently did a loop from San Angelo to Monclova then down to Los Lirios then over the Sierra to Santiago then back over the Sierra to Galeana, then down to Dr. Arroyo then over to R14 then back home. It was a pretty nice little ride but it took five days. I guess you could cut the R14 leg out and make it four with a couple high mileage days. Quien Sabe.
Map recon'ng these areas too. Ride objective is mostly to loiter in Zacatecas for a week, but may take route through R14 and maybe hit Parras again on the way back. Intended trip is Octoberish with backroad riding. Can't get down there earlier than that due to wife restrictions put on me (she says I have to wait until after Europe cruise in case I die in Mexico before the cruise ). Will do a West Texas ride in few weeks, a mesh of some of Gibben's rides (Langtry to Ozona/Sonora).

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:46 AM   #16518
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
Will do a West Texas ride in few weeks, a mesh of some of Gibben's rides (Langtry to Ozona/Sonora).
Good luck with that!

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:59 AM   #16519
CeeBee
The Cake Baker

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
1 week ago today, SR and I blasted out of Durango on dirt bikes and began, for me, what would become the adventure of the ages.
What an adventure - both road and dirt!!! From the few pics, it doesn't look like the ATV's rutted it up much. Trice, I think you under estimate your skillz
Can't wait for the RR
CeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #16520
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
What an adventure - both road and dirt!!! From the few pics, it doesn't look like the ATV's rutted it up much. Trice, I think you under estimate your skillz
Can't wait for the RR
The RR kicks off later today

With plenty of shots of the dirt master, SR and his Yamaha WR450R:

He is at home in Mexico's Sierra Madre
Old 06-30-2013, 08:21 AM   #16521
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
Can't wait for the RR
These roads aren't regularly traversed by ATVs, so they don't get ATV ruts but there are plenty of water erosion ruts. Over the 500 km of the route there is a big variety of terrain, but most of the interesting stuff is on old logging and mining roads that have gone decades without improvement. One road where several of these photos were taken was built by a mining company back in the 1930s to take gold and silver ore from a place called Vantanas in the Presidio river valley to a mill at a place called Tayoltita in the Piaxtla river valley 30? km to the north. This would have been at least a 24 hour haul in a truck. Another big stretch of the route is the access road to a regional power line that connects Durango to Sinaloa.

Here is another shot of that 800m drop off.

SR screwed with this post 06-30-2013 at 10:54 AM
SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:39 AM   #16522
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
I think this photo by SR is one of the best that gives the idea of his remark about riding through "Avatar CGI" type scenery.

We all know photographs typically don't do landscapes full justice.

For you guys with dirt bikes and who love Mexico - this just has to go on your "to do" list.

If you get perfect weather days like we had - you'll be in heaven
Old 06-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #16523
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
John, I have that too, plus I have dementia, OCD, ADHD, lack of coordination, lack of judgement, and no Skillz.

So, to steel my nerves against the challenge of riding the Sierra Madre, I found some back country guys who let me have some massive hits of payote.

Several folks have told me that there are some simple cures for vertigo and I am not majorly worried. There are techniques, exercises, and drugs.

But honestly, some of those drugs numb a person to the point where I honestly think that tequila in a flask would do the same thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #16524
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
I didn't take this one. I grabbed it off Facebook from another rider. It looks like he took it with a cell phone.

Compared to the picture quality of a lot of the other photos, I think my my Pentax WG-1 point and shoot takes great photos. Waterproof and ruggedized too.

SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #16525
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Good luck with that!

Yep, testing some hydration concepts and also some water purification ideas. Might camp overnight at the Sonora caverns. Have done border runs before in July, will be adding a dirt component this time from Langtry to Sonora/Ozona. It will be a hot mofo! I'll be in a full perforated suit as well.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #16526
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
I didn't take this one. I grabbed it off Facebook from another rider. It looks like he took it with a cell phone.
You know the scenery is fab when a cell phone can make it look dramatic!
Old 06-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #16527
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
It will be a hot mofo!
Just get your hot mofo mojo going!
Old 06-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #16528
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
, the mountain loop SW of Cd. Vic.

Your thoughts?

It's about like riding through the Smoky Mountains except that you will be fighting big double-trailer trucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #16529
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
But honestly, some of those drugs numb a person to the point where I honestly think that tequila in a flask would do the same thing.
If you look closely in the video, you can see my tequila flask separate from my body armor during the crash
Old 06-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #16530
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Compared to the picture quality of a lot of the other photos, I think my my Pentax WG-1 point and shoot takes great photos. Waterproof and ruggedized too.

This morning I've been looking at these on Amazon.com

Edit: pulled the trigger on the Pentax WG-3 with GPS. Orange color to find it in the dirt.

There are other models out now too that they make, some with GPS

From a use standpoint - that carabiner clip is huge to "keeping the camera handy"

The other tip is to use a fingerless glove on your shooting hand

Mileage may vary, but I find one doesn't take near the number of photos when the camera is anywhere but on the rider's body, ready to use. Eliminating the need to take off a glove to operate it is just as huge a factor.

How many times have we said, or heard other say, "I didn't stop to take near the number of pics I should have"

And, if there are no pics, it didn't happen

tricepilot screwed with this post 06-30-2013 at 09:27 AM