Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #16951
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
I know where the one up north is in the Sierra Leone. Might even get to see it Labor Day weekend. Have yet to see the one in the Huasteca but since I visit Bernal every year I should get over there. Great pix!
Indeed you should! It's one of the more amazing places i've seen on earth so far and hardly anyone goes there.
Bernal is also a must see as you know and a great town to spend a night.
There is plenty of time to travel from Bernal to Xilitla and visit the Punte De Dios along the way the same day.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #16952
NAVIGATOR
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,680
There is another "puente de Dios" in Tamasopo, San Luis Potosí, about a hour north from Cd. Valles, see video ( not mine).Beautiful place and you can swim and dive in it (TRICE?).
It is an amazing place to visit, but you have to be a very good swimmer the current is very strong!!!

http://youtu.be/VFq7i9wH71k
NAVIGATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #16953
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 953
It is not Exactly Puente de Dios, but is part of the same river system.
I don't have the Lon/lat. but to get there you go to the Town of Aquismon just north of Xilitla on hwy85,
it's a little place, you have to go through there to get to the cave of swallows or the Rio Tamuin, where I took the Pic's.
just look for the suburbans with the kayaks on top..

And yes I could easily spend weeks exploring this area, great roads for Moto's, so many thing to see and do.

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #16954
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,027
Is Mexico Safe?

Yup. Tamasopo has a pretty river.

I think Puente de Dios is a popular name. ;)

Terrapineck has explored the Aquismon area extensively and has made the hike Bill made.

That whole area is just wonderful . We will go back.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 07-30-2013 at 06:59 PM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #16955
going south
hero & Zero...

I forgot to tell you who I was with... check it out!!

Well actually he was there the month before...
But makes for a good story...

Old 07-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #16956
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
Clicking Heels

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
I'm clicking my heels together and trying really hard!
As in achtung! Or as in ruby slippers.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:23 AM   #16957
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVIGATOR View Post
There is another "puente de Dios" in Tamasopo, San Luis Potosí, about a hour north from Cd. Valles, see video ( not mine).Beautiful place and you can swim and dive in it (TRICE?).
It is an amazing place to visit, but you have to be a very good swimmer the current is very strong!!!

http://youtu.be/VFq7i9wH71k
thanks for the info!

it's funny. when i googled puente de dios most showed that falls area in the video (awesome!) and only a few showed where i went.
those few pics are what caught my eye and intrigued me.
where is that???
i quickly figured out there are 2 puente de dios in mexico.
took me a bit, but i figured it out.
it's not the easiest place to visit...but you'll never forget it if you do.

https://www.google.com/search?q=puen...h=656#imgdii=_

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 12:39 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #16958
Bajasums
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Cool2 keep your smarts about you

Last November, i drove down Baja in my toyota pickup with my 07 KTM 525. Crossed the border at Calexico/Mexicali then to San Felipe then to Puertocitos, then Bay of Gonzaga. I drove down solo to photograph the baja 1000 race.

Just like traveling anywhere you keep your wits about you, dont drive at night and def dont buy any illegal substances. At no time did i feel unsafe in those cities/areas. Even the random military checkpoints weren't intimidating. They thought i was racing in the baja 1000, and wanted to know all about the bike!

Everybody warned me, don't drive solo, dont take your dirt bike, but alas i did both. It was the best trip ever! I met plenty of gringos down there who showed me the ropes, like where to buy beer and ice. (actual ICE BLOCK!) then, after all the racing was done we rode 40 miles down Matomi Wash and back, which is a gnarly waist high sand whoop part of the race course, with some really fun open stretches too.

all in all a great trip. IMO its safe and fun and beautiful, just keep you smarts about you

"Nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit of a man, than a predictable future."
Bajasums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:32 PM   #16959
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,462
Well said. Perty good first post.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:38 PM   #16960
going south
hero & Zero...

Bajasums

Excellent first post.. me likey Baja

Old 07-31-2013, 03:22 PM   #16961
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajasums View Post
IMO its safe and fun and beautiful
We have rules requiring photographic proof
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:30 PM   #16962
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,043
any truth to this?

2011 San Fernando massacre also known as the second massacre of San Fernando,[1] was the mass murder of 193 people by Los Zetas drug cartel at La Joya ranch in the municipality of San Fernando, Tamaulipas, Mexico.[2] Authorities investigating the massacre reported numerous hijackings of passenger buses on Mexican Federal Highway 101 in San Fernando, and the kidnapped victims were later killed and buried in 47 clandestine mass graves.[2] The investigations began immediately after several suitcases and baggage were unclaimed in Reynosa and Matamoros, Tamaulipas.[3] On April 6, 2011, the Mexican authorities exhumed 59 corpses from eight mass graves.[4] By 7 June 2011, after a series of multiple excavations, a total of 193 bodies were exhumed from mass graves in San Fernando.[5]
Reports mentioned that female kidnapping victims were raped and able-bodied male kidnapping victims were forced to fight to the death with other hostages, similar to a "gladiator fight from ancient Rome," where they were given knives, hammers, machetes, and clubs to find recruits who were willing to kill for their lives.[6] In the blood sport, the survivor was recruited as a new hitman for Los Zetas; those who did not survive were buried in a clandestine gravesite.[7]
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:21 PM   #16963
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,936
How bad do you want to know and why?
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:22 PM   #16964
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
any truth to this?

2011 San Fernando massacre also known as the second massacre of San Fernando,[1] was the mass murder of 193 people by Los Zetas drug cartel at La Joya ranch in the municipality of San Fernando, Tamaulipas, Mexico.[2] Authorities investigating the massacre reported numerous hijackings of passenger buses on Mexican Federal Highway 101 in San Fernando, and the kidnapped victims were later killed and buried in 47 clandestine mass graves.[2] The investigations began immediately after several suitcases and baggage were unclaimed in Reynosa and Matamoros, Tamaulipas.[3] On April 6, 2011, the Mexican authorities exhumed 59 corpses from eight mass graves.[4] By 7 June 2011, after a series of multiple excavations, a total of 193 bodies were exhumed from mass graves in San Fernando.[5]
Reports mentioned that female kidnapping victims were raped and able-bodied male kidnapping victims were forced to fight to the death with other hostages, similar to a "gladiator fight from ancient Rome," where they were given knives, hammers, machetes, and clubs to find recruits who were willing to kill for their lives.[6] In the blood sport, the survivor was recruited as a new hitman for Los Zetas; those who did not survive were buried in a clandestine gravesite.[7]

You ask if this is true?? Yes, but very old news.....you can not base the current situation of an area on things that happened 2 years ago.
Things here are very fluid....some times they change in a matter of a couple of weeks or months..
Ride and enjoy!!

You make a living by what you get........you make a life by what you give. ( author unknown)
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:44 PM   #16965
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
How bad do you want to know and why?
Precisely.

A principle purpose of this thread is not to explore the details of every tragic event that occurs in Mexico but to focus on the issues that pertain directly to those who travel Mexico by motorcycle. A number of us have ridden through San Fernando since this mass murder was uncovered and found nothing to indicate that these events presented our community of travelers with an increase in risk. That's not to say no one cares about what happened to these people. Just that it's not relevant to this thread. That's my take, anyway.

IMO, it's far more useful to focus on awareness of current activities and hot spots like Michoacan, for example, where the fragmented remains of La Familia are causing trouble. Or recent Zeta activity in and around the Fresnillo area. Not that there have been reports of motorcycle travelers being affected. Otherwise we are susceptible to the very sensationalism that has so many in the USA needlessly avoiding travel to Mexico which has brought economic hardship to many good people there.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote