User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 05:30 PM   #16951
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,319
any truth to this?

2011 San Fernando massacre also known as the second massacre of San Fernando,[1] was the mass murder of 193 people by Los Zetas drug cartel at La Joya ranch in the municipality of San Fernando, Tamaulipas, Mexico.[2] Authorities investigating the massacre reported numerous hijackings of passenger buses on Mexican Federal Highway 101 in San Fernando, and the kidnapped victims were later killed and buried in 47 clandestine mass graves.[2] The investigations began immediately after several suitcases and baggage were unclaimed in Reynosa and Matamoros, Tamaulipas.[3] On April 6, 2011, the Mexican authorities exhumed 59 corpses from eight mass graves.[4] By 7 June 2011, after a series of multiple excavations, a total of 193 bodies were exhumed from mass graves in San Fernando.[5]
Reports mentioned that female kidnapping victims were raped and able-bodied male kidnapping victims were forced to fight to the death with other hostages, similar to a "gladiator fight from ancient Rome," where they were given knives, hammers, machetes, and clubs to find recruits who were willing to kill for their lives.[6] In the blood sport, the survivor was recruited as a new hitman for Los Zetas; those who did not survive were buried in a clandestine gravesite.[7]
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:21 PM   #16952
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
How bad do you want to know and why?
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:22 PM   #16953
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
any truth to this?

2011 San Fernando massacre also known as the second massacre of San Fernando,[1] was the mass murder of 193 people by Los Zetas drug cartel at La Joya ranch in the municipality of San Fernando, Tamaulipas, Mexico.[2] Authorities investigating the massacre reported numerous hijackings of passenger buses on Mexican Federal Highway 101 in San Fernando, and the kidnapped victims were later killed and buried in 47 clandestine mass graves.[2] The investigations began immediately after several suitcases and baggage were unclaimed in Reynosa and Matamoros, Tamaulipas.[3] On April 6, 2011, the Mexican authorities exhumed 59 corpses from eight mass graves.[4] By 7 June 2011, after a series of multiple excavations, a total of 193 bodies were exhumed from mass graves in San Fernando.[5]
Reports mentioned that female kidnapping victims were raped and able-bodied male kidnapping victims were forced to fight to the death with other hostages, similar to a "gladiator fight from ancient Rome," where they were given knives, hammers, machetes, and clubs to find recruits who were willing to kill for their lives.[6] In the blood sport, the survivor was recruited as a new hitman for Los Zetas; those who did not survive were buried in a clandestine gravesite.[7]

You ask if this is true?? Yes, but very old news.....you can not base the current situation of an area on things that happened 2 years ago.
Things here are very fluid....some times they change in a matter of a couple of weeks or months..
Ride and enjoy!!

You make a living by what you get........you make a life by what you give. ( author unknown)
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:44 PM   #16954
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
How bad do you want to know and why?
Precisely.

A principle purpose of this thread is not to explore the details of every tragic event that occurs in Mexico but to focus on the issues that pertain directly to those who travel Mexico by motorcycle. A number of us have ridden through San Fernando since this mass murder was uncovered and found nothing to indicate that these events presented our community of travelers with an increase in risk. That's not to say no one cares about what happened to these people. Just that it's not relevant to this thread. That's my take, anyway.

IMO, it's far more useful to focus on awareness of current activities and hot spots like Michoacan, for example, where the fragmented remains of La Familia are causing trouble. Or recent Zeta activity in and around the Fresnillo area. Not that there have been reports of motorcycle travelers being affected. Otherwise we are susceptible to the very sensationalism that has so many in the USA needlessly avoiding travel to Mexico which has brought economic hardship to many good people there.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:43 AM   #16955
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Dust View Post
Just returned from three weeks in Mexico. A group of us just barely escaped alive after being kidnapped.

Spent a week in Morelia. The day before we were to head back home, Juan, the owner of the hotel, pulled up in a van. A small group of us were standing outside in the front of the hotel. He said to us "My wife's brother's niece has a neighbor who's ex-wife knows a guy that owns a gun. Get into the van and be quick about it."

Our first reaction was to scatter and run, but with that kind of fire power, we decided to do as told and got into the van. From the hotel he started slowly winding his way through the streets of Morelia. He continually forced us to look at things like, parks, statues, fountains, and worst of all, the aqueduct. Sometimes we were even required to take pictures.

After what seemed liked hours of this torture, he headed out toward the country side. In our minds we could already see the shallow graves in the hill side where he was going to dump our headless bodies. He continued further and further out into the country side away from Centro. He then made a turn into the hills. Our end was near. We knew that we would never live to see another day, and then he turned into one of the most exclusive golf communities in Mexico.

After parking the van, he forced us to go inside the main club house. Once inside we had to sit in chairs, at a table, and consume vast quantities of food and drinks. We had to keep eating until we could eat no more. Barely able to move, we were then required to go on a tour of the facility. We started walking, and walking, and walking. It seemed like the walking would never end. It was just like a WWII Death March. This place was huge. To add insult to injury, we were not even allowed to pay for our own last meal.

Finally he allowed us to drag our over fed bodies back to the van. That is when we figured out what his real plan was. He had been fattening us up to feed to the farmer's pigs.

Trapped in the van and unable to escape, we had to endure the trip back to Morelia. After being forced to once again to look at statues, parks, buildings, cathedrals, and fountains, we finally arrived back at the hotel. This is when we saw the opportunity to make our escape. Taking advantage of this unexpected event, we thanked our host and made a mad dash from the van back into the hotel, barely escaping with our lives. We are very lucky to be alive today. If not for our superior survival techniques, we probably would not have survived the ordeal, and would be lying headless in a shallow grave in the middle of the golf community.

Due to this traumatic event, I feel that I should advise everyone NOT TO GO TO MEXICO. IT IS NOT SAFE.

Personally, I will never go back to Mexico again. It is too dangerous. Oh, I forgot about my up coming trip to Mazatlan in November. After that I will stay in the good ole USA where it is safe. Maybe go out to Denver and take in a movie. Dang, there is the 2014 Rat Ride in Cuernavaca next July. Yeah, that will be my last trip to Mexico. After that, maybe take up a safe sport like running marathons.

This event is true and actually happened to us. I have the pictures in my RR to prove it.

Can I re-post this on my facebook to show the people who are worried about my trip?
Old 08-01-2013, 05:22 AM   #16956
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildlikeWonder View Post
Can I re-post this on my facebook to show the people who are worried about my trip?
Much more effective to post pics of your soon-to-be-completed Mexico trip on your Facebook page
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:29 AM   #16957
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Much more effective to post pics of your soon-to-be-completed Mexico trip on your Facebook page
It's not going to be until next April - person I was going to ride with is changing jobs. I was going to go without him, but then we figured if we move it from January to April he will have enough accumulated leave to come.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:32 AM   #16958
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,749
Also better weather in April vs January, at least in certain areas of the higher elevations with regards to road surfaces

Don't punt if your riding buddy chickens out
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:38 AM   #16959
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Also better weather in April vs January, at least in certain areas of the higher elevations with regards to road surfaces

Don't punt if your riding buddy chickens out
Riding buddy has made the trip multiple times, so he's the guide really.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:06 AM   #16960
Road Dust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildlikeWonder View Post

No problem. Re-post where ever you want.

I also have an interesting story (to me anyway) on my personal website about an encounter with the Mexican Army. You can read about it here
Road Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #16961
culturedape
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
For who is interested: just rode mex 200 south from manzanillo to zihuatenejo. No problems and felt safe except for lots of roadwork - they're upgrading mex 200 it seems. Other than that nice road. Definitely plan ahead though , there's a lonely stretch full of curves.

I have a question regarding my tourist card and reentering mexico. Planning to see belize and Tikal and go back to mexico. Am I correct in that ill have to cancel my tourist card and pay the 25$ usd again upon entry but can keep my tvip and only cancel that when returning to the us?

Also, what route do you guys recommend? I'm on the Pac coast in mexico now. Thinking about crossing at el ceibo into guatemala and toward belize? Or I could try southern guatemala and northward.. How does guatemala compare to mexico?

Thanks guys

And sjoerd bakkers guide is awesome, used it 3/4 of the time.
culturedape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #16962
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedape View Post
For who is interested: just rode mex 200 south from manzanillo to zihuatenejo. No problems and felt safe except for lots of roadwork - they're upgrading mex 200 it seems. Other than that nice road. Definitely plan ahead though , there's a lonely stretch full of curves.
Did it look like they're developing it as a 4-lane or just an improved 2-lane?

Quote:
I have a question regarding my tourist card and reentering mexico. Planning to see belize and Tikal and go back to mexico. Am I correct in that ill have to cancel my tourist card and pay the 25$ usd again upon entry but can keep my tvip and only cancel that when returning to the us?
Yes, if going to Guatemala and returning to Mexico. Not sure if Belize affects that any since I didn't travel there.

Quote:
Also, what route do you guys recommend? I'm on the Pac coast in mexico now. Thinking about crossing at el ceibo into guatemala and toward belize? Or I could try southern guatemala and northward.. How does guatemala compare to mexico?
From the Pacific coast I took the highland route through Tuxtla Gutierriez/San Cristobal de las Casas and crossed into Guatemala at La Mesilla then on to Lake Atitlan and Antigua. I liked the La Mesilla crossing. Very old school. En route from Tikal to Palenque I crossed at El Ceibo and found it to be an easy crossing. Very new and modern.

Guatemala seemed to me more like the Mexico of 40 years ago but with some great mountain highways and the cops just watching us speed by without hassling us. I'd like to go back and spend some real time there. Especially with the CATours guys in Antigua.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #16963
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
If you want to do Guate, look up Guaterider and drop him a PM.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #16964
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,375
Either direction for a loop ride will work fine for Guatemala.
Entering at El Ceibo service is limited hours and same case at
La Mesilla , but that should not really matter since you will only
be doing crossings in daylight hours.
Either direction into Belize is not an issue , your tourist card is cancelled
on the Mexican side at Subte . Lopez near Chetumal or La Mesilla .
If you choose to exit Mexico on the Pacific coast at either of the two
crossings near Tapachula you should get the Tourist Card cancelled at
the customs building WEST of Tapachula along Mex 200 at the village of Viva Mexico
I would recommend the crossing of Talisman which is about 20km NE of
Tapachula and sets you up nicely to take highway CA 1 along the foothill zone
or to go into the mountains
The crossing south of Tapachula at Cd Hidalgo is more messy
and hectic with pestering " helpers" and is used heavily by trucks.
Remember , insurance is required in Belize , they sell it right at the border, may pay in Z$,US$ or Pesos
BZ has no customs fees when entering but there are two tourist taxes,BZ$37 total,
which you must pay when leaving and payment is requested in BZ$

Guatemala is really interesting having all the climate zones of Mexico in
a much smaller area. You will enjoy it if you wander all over , do not just make a beeline to a few tourist draws
of fame .

If you do go via Tapachula take the time to explore that far corner of
Chiapas, there are some rally neat paved roads up into the coffee finca
areas up to Nueva Alemania , and high up the side of Volcan Tacana where
you can find good hotels for a cool mountain air night in town of Union Juarez.
Tapachula is a tropical city with huge plaza and frequent marimba concerts and other
spectacles there.

Sjoerd Bakker screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 07:36 PM
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #16965
Ninja_Girl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
We were thinking of riding from Laredo, TX to Monterrey on 85D....spending a night. See a touch of Mexico...and then head back to the US. We've never seen Mexico and it sounded like a fun trip.

Has anyone from the US taken bikes along this route (recently)? What are the risks? We know the basics, like cross in the morning at a less busy crossing, don't be out or ride at night, stay on toll roads when possible, watch out for "topes", etc..

We are hoping for specifics on this route and monterrey from recent experience, There are a few threads and discussions around the net but most are outdated (2007 down) and I know the situation there changes frequently.

Of much that I've read....people say...don't be flashy. I'm on a bright red BMW F650GS and my other half is on a Silver KTM 950 Adventure. I have red hair and we typically wear bright yellow jackets. Even if I dyed my hair and we ditched the jackets.....will we just stick out like a sore thumb and look like targets?

Also...how much of a risk are the road blocks......and are we likely to get pulled over by police who see us as moving ATM Machines?

Thanks - Any advice would be welcomed.
Ninja_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote