Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #17056
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,047
SR, remind me sometime to tell you my only joke that I know about Bedouin/Tuareg and an Irishman.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #17057
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
SR, remind me sometime to tell you my only joke that I know about Bedouin/Tuareg and an Irishman.
OK, will do. I might have heard it. Does it involve a camel and a wedding gown?
SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #17058
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
OK, will do. I might have heard it. Does it involve a camel and a wedding gown?
Nope, it involves a fear of birds.

There is just something about desert nomads and Irishmen that make for stellar humor.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #17059
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Jackpiner has an awesome rear rack solution for the DRZ400E.
He add additional lower support legs
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788735
This is what I have on order,,, it is Tom's unit but powder coated. Must be a recent upgrade. I found him independently just searching Google for 400-3 stuff. Safari 28L tank on the way too and bunch of other stuff. I've just about double my out-of-pocket with farkles to add. Probably be as heavy as an S by the time I get finished. From MotoRacks in Vermont:
Old 08-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #17060
Ninja_Girl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
AW shucks Trice yer' making me blush, but thanks for the compliment.
A bit late but here are my ideas on the introductory short trip to Monterrey which Ninjagirl is contemplating.
I say DO It, just like that Monterrey or bust , and back by different roads, more than enough variety and scenery to keep one occupied as a first trip in , but STAY OFF the TOLL roads in Mexico (capitals for emphasis only , not screaming at anybody so don' nobody get upset.)
The chaparral biotope is totally different from anything she may be familiar with from around Memphis or the Great Lakes so it will all be new scenery to her and the few small towns and one city en route are worth a wandering exploration. Enjoy the country scenery, the vistas to the mountains, the steep climb to La Cuesta rock cut, the approach to Monterrey and the big industrial north section.
All the suggestions made for her to expand the trip to include SMA, GTO,RD14 SLP etc etc are all good but they would instantly transform her ride into a two week event before she gets back to the border. Not necessary for a first time'get yer feet wet' kind of introduction to Mexico. She has to leave something for an excuse to go back. Soon.
As I repeatedely do , I will suggest that Ninjagirl & Co. ride into Nuevo Laredo in the early evening and get their papers sorted at the customs facility which will be practically deserted by travellers at that hours, very fast service..If she gets TVIP and TC online she won't even need to stop at these customs buildings between Bridges 1 and 2 . Find a hotel, easily done at the south end of Av Guerrero where it changes name to Av Reforma. Local Mexican hotels are very good and less money than equivalents on the US side and there are big chain $$hotels too if you insist.Lots of restaurants,taquerias and fast food chains to pick from at the mall zone a bit south.
Next day the 240km to Monterrey can easily take all day. Maps listing 3.5 hour travel times are for the serious truck traffic and scared yanks who feel a need to race away from the border and dudes riding big adventure bikessome of who need to brag about riding 130mph all day. It is Mexico where every km counts as two and the Libre is much more interesting .
Along the way explore small town of Vallecillos and city of Sabinas Hidalgo, real Mexico
Spend the remainder of the day exploring Monterrey downtown and go across the rive r and over the hump mountain to ride around the wealthy suburb of San Pedro, and ride up the mountain face into the super rich neighbourhoods that SR alludes to. Very safe,, very interesting,, puts Hollywood Hills to shame.
Get a hotel or have one of the chains' booked before the ride.
Day two do some more exploring , but not too long, unless you can extend the ride by one day.
Then head back to the border by a different road.
Either take Mex 54 toward Saltillo , but DO NOT go into Saltillo, instead turn NORTH at Ramos Arizpe and you wind up on Mex 57 to Monclova and Allende and back to the US border at Eagle Pass TX, but do take time to explore each downtown along the way( oops short of time )
OR ... from north end of Monterrey pick up State highway NL1 back through more rural and mountainous areas then flats again to Nvo Laredo
OR take Mex 53 through the big valley northwest to Monclova and Eagle Pass.
Do NOt go into Saltillo , or you will be in danger of chucking the entire short plan and you will begin wandering north eventually, when the mood strikes, and no sooner ,hokay?

On the return leg ,at AllendeCOAH or at Nvo Laredo do not forget to cancel the TVIP and TC before you leave Mexico, unless you decide by then that you will want to return in the remaing months that these documents are valid.
Thanks! Great write-up! I thought I understood all the required paperwork to cross the border. But realized reading your reply that I didn't know what TVIP or TC were? I guess I will need a quick checklist of the documents that I'll need for the trip.

Thanks again!
Ninja_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #17061
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,213
You probably know it already , just the shorthand may be new.
TVIP = English abbreviation for Temporary Vehicle Import Permit , issued by BANJERCITO at the Mexican point of entry . You will pay a fee for this about 30 US dollars. AND you will be required to put up a security bond which varies , up to 400US $ depending on age of vehicle . You will get it REFUNDED when you cancel the TVIP
and remove bike from Interior Mexico

TC , English again , stands for Tourist Card for your person , issued at the MIGRACION counter, about $23 US . Not refundable. Should be cancelled when you leave Mexico.

AT Nvo Laredo this can all be paid by credit card . If you insist on paying cash the security deposit must be in actual US dollars.If you did it online it is a moot point , but it will be refunded to your credit card when you cancel . And you MUST CANCEL IT BEFORE IT EXPIRES, or you forfeit your deposit. Bike must be physically present at point wher cancellation is done . Failure to cancel will bring some problems if you later
try getting another TVIP for a new trip or another vehicle .

Without these two documents you will not be permitted to go past the Frontier Zone migration checkpoints but you may wander freely the full extent of the frontier zone which extends up to 60 km away from the border

Both TC and TVIP will be valid for 180 days so if you plan on taking another ride into Mexico
ON THE SAME BIKE you can retain the uncancelled documents ,return to the USA for a while and
then go straight back into interior Mexico needing only to show these valid
papers to pass through the frontier zone migration checkpoints.

As for the documents you require , you need
PASSPORT
DRIVERS LICENSE
CREDIT CARD
all made out showing your name with EXACTLY THE SAME spelling
And very important , (which I forgot until I signed off the Internet, ) you must have with you
the OWNERSHIP & REGISTRATION FOR THE BIKE which proves that you are the true owner of the
the bike also made out to exactly the same name as each of the other documents . If for example your
name appears as Roberta on your passport it should be so everywhere, do not have the variants
Bobbie, Robbie, Bertie or whatever

Liability insurance proof is not yet being asked for but soon will be part of the package.
You should get insurance before crossing but it is sold in the Nvo Laredo terminal,

Sjoerd Bakker screwed with this post 08-08-2013 at 11:26 AM Reason: Add forgotten point
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #17062
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,298
For the IPhone and Android QR Reader crowd:

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #17063
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,548
The TC is referred by Mexican Immigration as FMM.
Kiko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #17064
culturedape
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Looks like my rear brake pads are toast on my v strom , while I find myself in tuxtla Gutierrez, chiapas.

No one here has any. My spanish isn't too good but after calling motohouse I think it's 5 days for shipping..

Any ideas on where to get brake pads in mexico or guatemla city? Heading to the cancun area.
culturedape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #17065
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Let me throw this in and see what happens.

Sjoerd is right, as usual, about the insurance. Yes, this fall it will become obligatory for all vehicles. Yes, transit cops are seeing this as a substantial windfall for mordidas/sobornos (aka bribes) as a pre-Christmas bonus "bonus".

But besides that, the financial limits on liability were increased some time ago and if you are found at fault (and it is easy to mis-read or mis-interpret or not even see some road signs) you are on the hook for a major amount of money payable in full or you don't get out of jail.

Understand?

Accidents with injuries elevate things to a whole other level here and you do not want to be involved even as a bystander. Trust me. I have learned a few things here and unless you have been present at an accident or involved in one, you have no clue as to how things operate here. Get good insurance from a recognized provider and have ample coverage, or take a risk of seriously upsetting your career and family trajectory.
The choice is yours.

Second, think about health insurance.

I have had the pleasure of riding with visiting riders here, and I appreciate it when I know they have insurance and they carry a policy or card with them. If they get smacked down, it expedites things. One thing I try to avoid is riding with uninsured riders. Especially uninsured visitors.
I always have full insurance on my bike and myself at all times. Duct tape my Linea Azul card to my forehead for me, please, and let them cart me away. Simple as that.

You should think about some sort of coverage as you will be near heavily transited highway traffic corridors.

Shit happens.

The shit that happens in Mexico is slightly more sticky than the shit that happens in the first world. Understand this and make your choice accordingly.

Trice has summed this up very well in some of his posts. Risk management. Hospitals here run from the sublime to the slime. Even some private ones are filthy cesspools you do not want to linger in. I know this first hand.

Dealing with things when they happen here is always a fluid situation, nothing is ever normal, protocols rarely exist (other than a few hard and fast rules with the Ministerio Publicos and the Federales), and when you don't speak the language at a level to understand legalese and medical jargon, it will compound a bad situation. Keep this in my mind even if you are encountering things as a "Good Samaritan".

Just a dose of reality, take it however you want.
Peace of mind goes a real long way in maximizing your experience while in Mexico, no nagging doubts or fear, and that is when you are going to really enjoy things. As has been mentioned, your personal security risk is more along the lines of a traffic accident than a kidnapping or being in the wrong place at the wrong time when criminals are involved. Easier to stay alert with a clear head and no worries.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #17066
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,697
Good post Mike.

I recently discussed Mexico's new vehicle liability limits with Chris at Mexadventure.com when I renewed my ACE Seguros Platinum policy for the BMW. The liability laws vary some from state to state but the short version is upgrade your liability coverage limit to $500,000 USD to be on the safe side. That's Chris's recommendation based on current Mexican laws.

While we're on the topic:
ACE Seguros does NOT provide medical coverage for motorcycle policies while they do for other vehicle types. This has left me with a gap in my current coverage which I'm wanting to close ASAP. My domestic policy (CIGNA) will reimburse me after I cash out any charges abroad so it's not like having zero coverage. Any recommendations on either Mexican health insurance or, better, international travel health insurance from any of the inmates here? I'll be leaving in a few weeks for my 5th Mexico ride this year and plan for 1-2 more before EOY, so I'd consider purchasing an annual policy of either kind.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #17067
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedape View Post
Looks like my rear brake pads are toast on my v strom , while I find myself in tuxtla Gutierrez, chiapas.

No one here has any. My spanish isn't too good but after calling motohouse I think it's 5 days for shipping..

Any ideas on where to get brake pads in mexico or guatemla city? Heading to the cancun area.
Some state police and city police are riding V-Stroms. Go online and check for a Cancun Suzuki dealer. How about San Cristobal de las Casas or Tapachula? Usually they can express mail or bus package or Estafeta deliver the pieces quicker than 5 days. I am surprised that a decent aftermarket parts shop won't have Suzuki pads. Did you take one in and match it with the EBC or Ferodo they usually have on display, or did you just ask for Suzuki V-Strom pads?

Villahermosa, Tabasco is an option. In Merida, their are two MotoMundo locations that should have something or can get it for you. V-Stroms are gaining in popularity here.

Before doing that, try these two:

Motoservicio Garcia
or Alan Motos
Go here for details:

http://suzuki.com.mx/motos/talleres/

Once on that page, find Chiapas on the map and click, you'll get the above two and one more in Tapachula. These are Suzuki motorcycle service centers or "talleres" not dealers with showrooms. Or just grab the yellow pages at the hotel and look for a motoshop with a Suzuki logo in the ad.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #17068
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
I'll be leaving in a few weeks for my 5th Mexico ride this year and plan for 1-2 more before EOY, so I'd consider purchasing an annual policy of either kind.
Careful if you buy it in Mexico, some of the policies here for health have a residency restriction depending on your immigration status.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #17069
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedape View Post

Take a bus up to Durango and steal them off of SR's bike
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #17070
Hoot Gibson
Banned

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by varna2win View Post
The beauty of ADV rider is if you make one comment in here everybody jumps on your ass. Maybe just maybe I don't know shit. One thing is for sure I'm not some candyass that rides a GS & drinks coffee at Starbucks. The Starbucks comment really pissed me off.
3 1/2 years later I can relate to this post....plenty of Internet Warriors waiting to jump on any small comment one might make!
Hoot Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote