Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #17101
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
Never rode in Mexico, but I can only gather from what Big Dog Mark Sampson writes on his blog....that he loves the people and place, and has, at least in his writings, ever had a bad experiece with the people....and I would trust him as much or more than anybody.
Never rode in Mexico?
Do it as soon as you can.
As for trusting people, I trust those who either live here and I know, or visiting riders whom I have had the pleasure of riding with or at least having had a meal here with.

Now, on to getting Trice his 50 Shades of Jokes in Spanish.

Number 1
Numero uno

Que sale si tu cruzas un burro y una conejita?
Una conejita bien bizco!

Next?
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #17102
SkizzMan
There, that's it

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW66 View Post
SchizzMan, are you ready for Laborday weekend?
A week from tomorrow I'm headed up to McAllen. Can't hardly wait!!!
The Tiger has not had enough road time lately so Sat I'm going up to Huejuquilla for lunch.....Huejuquilla is on SRs list of Haciendas of Mexico tour.
Listo!!

Got the 30K service and new shoes. Tyler's getting the newly sized
TKC80 for his WasserNoggin front rim. Gettin' all dirt serious on us.

Looking forward to checking out Concepcion del Oro.

Huejuquilla?? Pix or...........

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SkizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #17103
AndyT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedape View Post
Looks like my rear brake pads are toast on my v strom , while I find myself in tuxtla Gutierrez, chiapas.

No one here has any. My spanish isn't too good but after calling motohouse I think it's 5 days for shipping..

Any ideas on where to get brake pads in mexico or guatemla city? Heading to the cancun area.
If you don't have any luck finding pads, you can ask at any auto repair place, they will likely know where to get your old pads relined. You won't be able to be picky about compound, but it will get you on the road.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #17104
SkizzMan
There, that's it

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
If you don't have any luck finding pads, you can ask at any auto repair place, they will likely know where to get your old pads relined. You won't be able to be picky about compound, but it will get you on the road.
Now THAT'S a good idea. Wouldn't have thought of it myself.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 08-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #17105
Ninja_Girl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Hey.....I have a quick question for you'all. Is there any reason that you would be required to have a credit card (Visa/Mastercard) going into Mexico........

or rather.......can you get through the entire trip without one (using only cash and debit cards)?

Thanks!
Ninja_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #17106
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,752
Is Mexico Safe?

The deposit you put down with the TVIP is all I can think of that makes having a credit card easier. I have done it with cash and it was an extra step or two getting it back when canceling the TVIP. But I'm a cash guy dinosaur who doesn't even have a debit card so......;)
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #17107
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 9,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_Girl View Post
Hey.....I have a quick question for you'all. Is there any reason that you would be required to have a credit card (Visa/Mastercard) going into Mexico........

or rather.......can you get through the entire trip without one (using only cash and debit cards)?

Thanks!
Well, the transitos are now accepting mordida payments using plastic (not American Express, however, at this time)
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #17108
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_Girl View Post

Thanks!
Yeah, you could do it. No credit, huh ?
Old 08-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #17109
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
No credit, huh ?
Dennis eyes an opportunity
Old 08-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #17110
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Dennis eyes an opportunity
Terms ? You bet ! We can work it out.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #17111
SkizzMan
There, that's it

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
The deposit you put down with the TVIP is all I can think of that makes having a credit card easier. I have done it with cash and it was an extra step or two getting it back when canceling the TVIP. But I'm a cash guy dinosaur who doesn't even have a debit card so......;)
Maybe you could expound on what steps N_G will need to take to get the
cash refund after surrendering the TVIP. Did you get the refund at the
Banjercito counter at the Border crossing or did you have to go to another
location?

Old 08-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #17112
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Alonzo is handling the TVIP refunds. Look for the tipo in the fedora smoking a short stack cigar. He's in a rusting blue '73 Chevy p/u.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #17113
SkizzMan
There, that's it

Still getting your kick back?

Old 08-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #17114
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,417
I actually had occasion to pay the TVIP security deposit in CASH US dollars last year when I fumbled the typing in of the PIN code for my cc at REYNOSA.The young lady had to hold the little card reader/data input pad up to the 5cm gap in the security glass above her counter but the cord was not long enough and with all the moving about I got it wrong several times , then it blocked me total access. But with US cash in pocket for just such an occasion the papers exchanged hands pronto, no extra delay. On the return trip
it was the normal sequence with no delay or extra steps at all. The TVIP permit was scanned at the exit kiosk in Nuevo Laredo in city bridge the VIN was photographed and I went inside, handed in the documents and cancellation slip from the kiosk .After perusing these the official opened up a drawer and a file therein and handed me four nicely flattenned US 100 dollar bills.Very simple, very easy and an instant source of US$ for the next leg of the trip.
So Slowoldguy, have no worries, as long as you carry the cash you will get in.... and out with that deposit returned.
For those using a cc make sure it does not expire during the trip. If it does your money will be held by BANJERCITO until you notify them of the newly revived credit card or provide them with the number of thge replacement where they should deposit it, this from one of their official brochures.

Sjoerd Bakker screwed with this post 08-09-2013 at 01:45 PM Reason: Correct for points of entry and exit after checking notes
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #17115
SkizzMan
There, that's it

Thanks Sjoerd!

That's just the kind of answer needed here.

Now, what to do if two riders are taking two bikes across, both bikes owned by one of them? Is there an easy, reliable way they can TVIP both bikes without having to retitle/re-register one of them?

Thanks in advance.