Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #17896
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,519
It feeds an increasingly hungry little yellow man in my head. Cheap therapy too.
PAPA
SJTR

jimmex screwed with this post 10-19-2013 at 08:58 AM
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:24 AM   #17897
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
It feeds an increasingly hungry little yellow man in my head.
Kinks?
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #17898
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
You total Prick. Filling my heart and mind with ugly feelings of envy and jealousy! Dick!
It should be fun on the DGO-Nayarit route.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #17899
sandwich
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Google Maps

I'm planning a trip from Houston to Oaxaca in December. I've been reading that Google Maps are up and running in Mexico. Has anyone checked it out?
sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #17900
mexipike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
I'm planning a trip from Houston to Oaxaca in December. I've been reading that Google Maps are up and running in Mexico. Has anyone checked it out?
Yes google maps works in Mexico. They even have satellite for most of the cities.

Though I'm not real sure what your asking, just search it in google maps Right?
mexipike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #17901
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
It should be fun on the DGO-Nayarit route.
Vamanooooos!!! The tennis tournament in PV was cancelled for some reason, but I'd still like to do the DGO-NAY road some weekend in Nov. Nail it down!
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #17902
sandwich
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Google Navigation in Mexico

Just trying to figure out if I need maps or can navigate with Google. I like to stay off the slabs and take secondary roads so I'm wondering if there is reasonably consistent cell service to keep the google connection going.
sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #17903
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Depends on your provider in Mexico. I use Telcel and the coverage is not bad. But...it varies a lot from state to state. Damn expensive, too.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #17904
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
Just trying to figure out if I need maps or can navigate with Google. I like to stay off the slabs and take secondary roads so I'm wondering if there is reasonably consistent cell service to keep the google connection going.
The Google Maps database works well for cities in Mexico and most places moderately populated places. It's all I ever use while traveling in a car or in the city.

Then again, there are definitely places with no cell coverage. Just depends on how far off the beaten path you want to get.

You can always try your luck with the good old "donde esta?"

Suerte!
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:29 AM   #17905
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
It works very well, as long as you have a data connection (can be very spotty off the beaten track, even if you have phone service you'll often only have an edge connection). Things to remember:

- Don't use it with a US roaming data plan! Make sure your phone is carrier unlocked, not Verizon, and get a local PAYG Sim card.
- You can cache quite large chunks of Google maps for offline viewing, you lose the turn-by-turn guidance though.
- Check out the Sygic navigation app. A touch pricey, but 100% off-line. We've tested it with small Mexican villages and we have yet to find one it doesn't have in the database. Routing seems to be accurate and is as fast as lightning. You can buy countries as you need them too so it's future proof. The voice directions are so good, I put the phone in my pocket and just listen. It solves the problem of the phone's screen washing out in sunlight too.

Oh, and have a paper map somewhere in your luggage just in case. Many locals don't get much beyond walking distance from their homes, so you may have trouble getting reliable directions (Also depends on your grasp of Spanish too) if your electronics crap out on you.

Lots of people hate to have fixed itineraries on a trip, but the "never ride at night" rule means I like to have an idea where I'm going to be sleeping each night and how long it takes to get there.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #17906
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

I was hoping Craneguy would weigh in on this. I've seen the app in action that he mentioned and it worked surprisingly well. I know that he was contemplating buying the app that warns you when you cross the center line.
But he bought a GS instead.
And orphaned a perfectly good V-Strom and KLR.
He needs to feel some guilt.
Traded his sushi for saurkraut and Cuernavaca will never be the same.
Intervention is needed before the Tourtech catalog arrives.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #17907
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
I know that he was contemplating buying the app that warns you when you cross the center line..
Nope. I bought it for the mystery rider instead...

I rode the KLR 571km on Tuesday. It needed a bit too much effort to maintain 130 kmh, and we won't even mention the stock seat. I think it still has teeth marks in it. The noise from the Karoo knobblies was incredible too (forgot my ear plugs) The GSA is getting Anakee 3's!

I'm seriously contemplating riding back to the UK from here and then either selling or shipping the bike to Mexico. Since I don't have the right temperament to chug along at 60mph all day, the KLR had to be upgraded!!

Got an amazing deal on a fully-farkled '07 GSA with 12,000 miles on it and not a single scratch (literally). The only problem is they don't sell BMW bikes here so the nearest dealer is 4 hours away in another country.

If anyone wants a holiday and incredible riding and scenery, I'm keeping the KLR for a while and I don't mind loaning it out!

OK. Thread hijack over. Back to your scheduled Mexican programming!

EDIT: The Cuernavaca Vstrom 1000 ADV is for sale. Heavily farkled, and only dropped on myself in parking lots. Perfect if you want a south-of-the-border bike!
Old 10-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #17908
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
the nearest dealer worth a damn is 16 hours away in another country.
Borrowed it and modified it a little in order to reflect the situation here.

Craneguy, the Mystery Rider has a line on decal for you for that bike, you can see it in the pic of his HP2 in the center of the side case. Sell the bike in England and then head to Hiperbikes in Puebla and make a foreign investment in either Austria or Italy! The Japanese are disappointed in you.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #17909
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Old 10-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #17910
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Borrowed it and modified it a little in order to reflect the situation here.

Craneguy, the Mystery Rider has a line on decal for you for that bike, you can see it in the pic of his HP2 in the center of the side case. Sell the bike in England and then head to Hiperbikes in Puebla and make a foreign investment in either Austria or Italy! The Japanese are disappointed in you.
I agree MikeMike. As I told the MR in an email, we ain't exactly spoiled for choice here. A new KTM 1190 in Dubai is $26,000!

Big bikes (except Hardley of course) are not sold here.