Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #166
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
I hear that Pancho Villa is recruiting:

Run Gringo Run! Stay away from blue countries!
or probably hunt Pancho down would be a good motive to get into the blue country and try to get some cash??

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:31 PM   #167
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,943
Quote:
Dood ... I don't know how to tell you this. But several of us that have posted here are "real travelers" and would seem to have more miles and experience with Mexico than you do.

I'm living on the border in the McAllen, Texas area. I've been as far east as Matamoros and as far west as the Crossing at Nogales. I can get to the Pharr crossing in 10 minutes on a good day from my office.

As I have written the "danger" is grossly exaggerated and a sane person (non- gun smuggling and non- dope dealing) should have no trouble whatsoever here.

Head south and you won't have any trouble. Once you get to Victoria or Tampico they can't even spell "border."

There are plenty of folks here in ADVRIder that live in Texas and travel into Mexico regularly who will tell you the same.
Hi John,
Had to get out my map to find where McAllen, Texas is. I figured most people who would respond wouldn't know much about Texas or Mexico so I appreciate your reply.

To be honest I have traveled both coasts of Mexico and I enjoyed them, especially when I got to the south but what I was really taken with was the Sierra Madre. I was surprised to find out how far east they extend. Don't get me wrong, I like the tropics OK and have spent time there but I like the mountains and the canyons better plus it's just better motorcycle riding from a dual sport point of view.

Do you know anything about the Mexican national park system.There must be 6-10 national parks on the Mexican side of the border within 300 miles of the USA. I wondered about facilities and safety since some, especially those that hook up to the Big Bend area would make natural corridors for drugs and illegals to follow.

Again, thanks for your thoughtful reply.

For all who asked what I ride, here's a picture of me with 3 broken ribs in the Gobi desert about 25 miles from the Chinese border. The temp is around 115 degrees F. I am 64 years old, the picture was taken 2 years ago. I am still on the KTM.

For any Hispanic friends, Poco Espanol por mi seniors, es problemo por mi.
Entiende usted?
Con permiso.
Bill

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 02-14-2010 at 12:41 PM
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:45 PM   #168
TomTom63
Motorradfahrer

Oddometer: 1,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill
Do you know anything about the Mexican national park system.There must be 6-10 national parks on the Mexican side of the border within 300 miles of the USA. I wondered about facilities and safety since some, especially those that hook up to the Big Bend area would make natural corridors for drugs and illegals to follow.
No worry, those corridors are well marked...

TomTom63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #169
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:

Arte would probably be the expert on those.

The Parque Nacional Cumbres is just outside Monterrey and I've heard from friends that were working in Monterrey that it's beautiful.

I've ridden around the edge of the Reserva de la Biosfera el Celo just south of Victoria and that reminded me tremendously of riding in the Smoky Mountains.

When ya Google those phrases there are plenty of hits so the info is out there. Victoria is the capital of the state of Tamaulipas and Tamaulipas has a really good and aggressive tourist bureau. If I were interested in seeing the Reserva de la Biosfera el Celo I honestly think that I'd ride into Victoria on a weekday, get a room in the Centro somewhere (there is anything from 5 star places to economical older hotels down there), and track down the tourist bureau offices just for grins and giggles. Victoria is an interesting older city.

Enjoy your stay!
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #170
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Why bother Rex,
Just say,"I don't know."
"I haven't been there."
Or.
'I don't like your attitude, Bill, so I won't tell you."
bill

Bill Shockley
Old 02-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #171
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte
or probably hunt Pancho down would be a good motive to get into the blue country and try to get some cash??

I can see us planning this expedition ... over a few dozen shots of tequila.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #172
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.REX63
No worry, those corridors are well marked...

They take a different approach around here ...

"Swim the Rio Grande at your own risk" with signs indicating that there are alligators in the water.

I wish that I could find my photo.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #173
TomTom63
Motorradfahrer

Oddometer: 1,621
Quote:
They take a different approach around here ...

"Swim the Rio Grande at your own risk" with signs indicating that there are alligators in the water.

I wish that I could find my photo.
Yup, I was flabbergasted when I came across this one...
TomTom63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:18 PM   #174
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.REX63
Yup, I was flabbergasted when I came across this one...

Yeah, there are some places that require a little more discretion than others. I've wanted to explore the desert north of Coyame, Chihuahua (think a bit due west and northwest of Presidio, TX) but figure that's a place where I need to drag some amigos along with me.

Nice of 'em to give you some warning signs on the US side, isn't it?
Old 02-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #175
bmwktmbill
Traveler

"When ya Google those phrases there are plenty of hits so the info is out there. Victoria is the capital of the state of Tamaulipas and Tamaulipas has a really good and aggressive tourist bureau. If I were interested in seeing the Reserva de la Biosfera el Celo I honestly think that I'd ride into Victoria on a weekday, get a room in the Centro somewhere (there is anything from 5 star places to economical older hotels down there), and track down the tourist bureau offices just for grins and giggles. Victoria is an interesting older city"

Thanks, John,
I'll try a PM to Arte.

I was hoping to follow the highland from Austin(which I have never seen) to the border, then to cross around Del Rio and then follow the border west from there through the national parks until I get to the Nogales, staying out of the towns, camping or staying in the countryside 100-300 miles south of the border. There are plenty of small towns.

Anyone traveled through this country, east to west, seen the Sky Islands, the forests and the mountains, been in the small towns. Some lakes show up on the better maps.

Any GPS mapping information whould help. I have world map on my older GPS.
It's better than nothing.

The roads look to be gravel on the maps but road information would help too.
The main roads go north south, the connecting east west roads look real interesting.
bill

Bill Shockley
Old 02-14-2010, 01:33 PM   #176
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
Speaking of Pancho Villa, I just finished a very interesting history book titled Revolution and Intervention: The Diplomacy of Taft and Wilson with Mexico, 1910-1917 by P. Edward Haley. The book gives good background on the real reasons why towns like Real de Catorce experienced economic collapse. Tricepilot I can bring you this book, if you'd like, when we meet up in San Antonio. Also, The Wind that Swept Mexico: The History of the Mexican Revolution 1910-1942 by Anita Brenner

Also of note, in tracking down some abandoned haciendas, I am currently reading Catalogo de mapas, planos, croquis e ilustraciones historicas de Restitucion y Dotacion de tierras y Ampliacion de ejidos del Archivo General Agrario by Rene Esparza. I am trying to get a better handle on abandoned haciendas that were never restored and that are still out there rotting away like Mapache's hideout that we covered in the Parras ride report. There are hundreds of these abandoned sites out there.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:50 PM   #177
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
"When ya Google those phrases there are plenty of hits so the info is out there. Victoria is the capital of the state of Tamaulipas and Tamaulipas has a really good and aggressive tourist bureau. If I were interested in seeing the Reserva de la Biosfera el Celo I honestly think that I'd ride into Victoria on a weekday, get a room in the Centro somewhere (there is anything from 5 star places to economical older hotels down there), and track down the tourist bureau offices just for grins and giggles. Victoria is an interesting older city"

Thanks, John,
I'll try a PM to Arte.

I was hoping to follow the highland from Austin(which I have never seen) to the border, then to cross around Del Rio and then follow the border west from there through the national parks until I get to the Nogales, staying out of the towns, camping or staying in the countryside 100-300 miles south of the border. There are plenty of small towns.

Anyone traveled through this country, east to west, seen the Sky Islands, the forests and the mountains, been in the small towns. Some lakes show up on the better maps.

Any GPS mapping information whould help. I have world map on my older GPS.
It's better than nothing.

The roads look to be gravel on the maps but road information would help too.
The main roads go north south, the connecting east west roads look real interesting.
bill
Bill I have a couple friends whom are a real experts riding National Parks (they showed me National Park CUMBRES DE MONTERREY) and I'm pretty sure the know: MADERAS DEL CARMEN, LOS NOVILLOS, SIERRA DEL CARMEN, CINCO MANANTIALES, and EL BURRO, which all of them are right across Big Bend Park and within 200 miles. They does not post here, but he they live at Laredo TX, I will try to get their info.

arte

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:50 PM   #178
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Pedro Navaja,
Just started on your ride report for Parras de la Fuente, what an eye opener.
Much to lean for me.
bill

Bill Shockley
Old 02-14-2010, 01:50 PM   #179
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
...I was hoping to follow the highland from Austin(which I have never seen) to the border, then to cross around Del Rio and then follow the border west from there through the national parks until I get to the Nogales, staying out of the towns, camping or staying in the countryside 100-300 miles south of the border. There are plenty of small towns.

Anyone traveled through this country, east to west, seen the Sky Islands, the forests and the mountains, been in the small towns. Some lakes show up on the better maps...
Yeah, I've been out there, but I'm still undecided as to whether you are a dickhead or not. Starting from Austin is a good route. You can ride the 3-Sisters outbound from Austin on your way to Del Rio. That's a must-do ride for Texas. See the ride report on my sigtag re 3-Sisters & Escape to Mexico.

The high plains desert route south of PN/Del Rio-Monclova- Saltillo I find preferable to the route that hits Laredo-Monterrey-Saltlillo, though from Houston the Laredo route is a shorter distance. See the other two ride reports in my sigtag.

Not on my ride reports, going west of Saltillo puts you more into Mexico than tracing the border west. If you want to be a few hundred miles south of the border while you travel west, then head west out of Saltillo. I'm sure you have a Guia Roji mapbook. If you don't have one, get one. If you want topographic maps go here where I get mine ==> http://www.mexicomaps.com/index.lass...F5FEIsWN4A601D

Old 02-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #180
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Pedro Navaja,
...Much to lean for me...
We don't put everything on our ride reports. In fact one of the most experienced riders here from the Texas group doesn't post any ride reports at all. Hang around, don't be a cunt, and maybe you'll be able to add to your "worldly" experiences.